Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Providing an update on my case. I received 2 more Era 300s through the RMA process. I will identify these as speaker #5 and #6 (speakers #1-4 all had the popping sound issue I documented).

One of the new Era 300 speakers--I’ll call it #5--has the issue while the other I have not confirmed does or does not at this time. After a couple hours of streaming Apple Music on them as a stereo pair I have only noticed the pop sounds coming from the right speaker, #5.

For others experiencing this issue, I would recommend documenting the sounds as best you can with a video and contacting Sonos support as soon as possible. Be prepared for a troubleshooting process that includes submitting a diagnostic and possibly resetting the speaker(s) and playing some music for a few minutes. It’s a pain but I’m thankful for the support I’ve received. The resolutions I’ve experienced so far is to issue a replacement which is inconvenient but what alternative is there... From my perspective there is no indication that it is a software or configuration issue nor is it officially a known issue on Sonos’s end at this time when I asked.

For reference, my current system information for the Era 300 that is affected:

Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)
Hardware Version: 1.38.3.10-1.2
Series ID: A100

@jrennell 

So you think it's a hardware problem?

If so, why?

Userlevel 1

Another update has just dropped. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Another update has just dropped. 

Which one ? Version ?

15.3 came a few days ago

@soyoth 

Userlevel 3
Badge

... From my perspective there is no indication that it is a software or configuration issue nor is it officially a known issue on Sonos’s end at this time when I asked...

@jrennell

If so, why?

I’m not a Sonos engineer and I don’t have information I haven’t shared on the thread so I don’t want to make any claim as to what the issue may be. The basis of saying I have no indication of a software issue at this time is a friend of mine has a pair of Era 300s without this issue and it appears to only be reported by some customers. At the time of writing the last reply it seemed like one of the replacement units I received did not have the popping, however I was able to hear pops later while continuing to listen. It does seem less frequent on #6 than #5 for what that’s worth.

I’m going through one more round of RMAs to test speakers #7 and #8 before I may personally give up on this model for a while and will report back what I find. Due to my case of documenting several speakers exhibiting these audio issues, it sounded like my case may be flagged. I hope that means it can provide the right folks as Sonos with sample units to inspect if needed, but again that’s just me speculating.

... From my perspective there is no indication that it is a software or configuration issue nor is it officially a known issue on Sonos’s end at this time when I asked...

@jrennell

If so, why?

I’m not a Sonos engineer and I don’t have information I haven’t shared on the thread so I don’t want to make any claim as to what the issue may be. The basis of saying I have no indication of a software issue at this time is a friend of mine has a pair of Era 300s without this issue and it appears to only be reported by some customers. At the time of writing the last reply it seemed like one of the replacement units I received did not have the popping, however I was able to hear pops later while continuing to listen. It does seem less frequent on #6 than #5 for what that’s worth.

I’m going through one more round of RMAs to test speakers #7 and #8 before I may personally give up on this model for a while and will report back what I find. Due to my case of documenting several speakers exhibiting these audio issues, it sounded like my case may be flagged. I hope that means it can provide the right folks as Sonos with sample units to inspect if needed, but again that’s just me speculating.

I can’t believe that both of my 300’s are a defect. That would be way too much of a coincidence. Therefore I’m inclined to believe it’s a software issue 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Do i always have to send back the speakers before i get new ones ?

Userlevel 3
Badge

You can opt for “Advanced” shipping method, at least in the US, which puts a hold on some payment method you provide for the replacement until you return the original (within 14 days of receiving the replacement). Details of that option are available when selecting it as part of the “Process your return” flow.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No… you can use the “advanced shipping”. Just made in Italy, there is also in Europe. I recommend it…

Badge

Hi all - I bought an Era 100 a few days ago and during setup it updated to 15.3.  Over the weekend I first noticed pops when playing “Stop That Man” by Tune-Yards from my iPhone, after which I found this thread.  Experimenting this morning, I found that the pops went away when I turned off Sound Check in my phone’s music settings.  I’m not sure why that worked, since the track plays fine with Sound Check on through other speakers and headphones.  Just wanted to pass that along.  I’ll keep Sound Check off for now and submit diagnostics if the pops happen again.

same issue here, popping sounds on my era 100 and 300

Userlevel 1
Badge

No popping sounds here on my Era 300 so far…

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Contacted Sonos support today regarding the issue. Nothing showed up in the diagnostics that I submitted then typically got the pop / crackle sound twice whilst on hold! (beginning of same song but third time it didn’t happen)

Doesn’t seem that I am eliglible for a replacement via Sonos and will have to contact the company I bought the speakers through. Don’t really want my money back as then I will have two very expensive coat hangers in corners of my room :-)

Badge +2

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

This is absolutely ridiculous. Sonos has gone so far downhill, with no sign of stopping. My partner and I were with the company from the start, but this was the last mistake; we have already begun investing in a hifi system—we’ve simply seen too much nonsense with Sonos and for too long. Patrick will drive this company into the ground if these are the kind of standards people to which people may look forward. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Any updates?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@BJ2003 

nope had yesterday contact with sonos, there is nothing new, even a hardware failure can not be ruled out he said

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

In addition to the occasional pop’s I also do hear some strange sounds sometimes from certain content. Eg. while watching The Serpent on Netflix Episode 7 and 8 when some of the background music is playing I hear this cricket sounding chirp. Not sure if its an issue, actual effects or just how the Era’s decode the content 🙄

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare 

With my ERA100 I hear a very quiet crackling sound

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Flare

With my ERA100 I hear a very quiet crackling sound

I have that as well along with the occasional pop’s.😳 Hope at some point soon this is fixed with a software update..or if its H/W Sonos owns up, fixes it and replaces the units for those affected.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I just spoke with Sonos support once again as (continuing my case) speakers #7 and #8 also had the popping sounds. Interestingly these two seem to be the “best” as they pop far less frequently than the initial pair #1 and #2 I received. Regardless, they were able to collect some live diagnostics while I was on the phone with them and I was told they detected a hardware fault with the speakers.

It sounds like this has become a known issue for them, at least internally, and the engineering team is investigating the cause which again appears to be suspected as a hardware issue with an internal component. I’ll let Sonos communicate what they find either with individuals who call in or if they opt for a wider communication for affected customers-- that way I don’t share any misinformation while they investigate.

I would reiterate a prior comment of mine: if you are affected, I encourage you to take the time to capture a system diagnostic after experiencing the issue, documenting it best as you’re able to and contact Sonos support to report the issue. You will likely need to undergo an RMA for the unit(s) if they determine the issue is the same as the one I have evidently been encountering.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@jrennell 

thanks for the info

But isn't it strange that the Era100&300 have this same problem? Because they 2 speakers do not have the same hardware ??!

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jrennell

thanks for the info

But isn't it strange that the Era100&300 have this same problem? Because they 2 speakers do not have the same hardware ??!

I think that makes a large assumption that they don’t share internal electronics of some kind that could be affected as one possibility. They are not identical but I would imagine they could have a lot of similarities for manufacturing, firmware and software integration reasons (as my speculation anyway).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@jrennell

thanks for the info

I think that makes a large assumption that they don’t share internal electronics of some kind that could be affected as one possibility. They are not identical but I would imagine they could have a lot of similarities for manufacturing, firmware and software integration reasons (as my speculation anyway).

ok yes makes sense…

has the support mentioned if there will be a statement or how it will go on ?

Userlevel 3
Badge

has the support mentioned if there will be a statement or how it will go on ?

Nothing was mentioned to me regarding this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

However over time (1 month) something has changed. The first few days these crackling sounds were very frequent, but the situation improved day by day (the 15.3 update didn't help)... could it be a matter of "break-in" the electrical components? In the last week I rarely hear it, between yesterday and today at most 1/2 times (approximately) in 8 hours of listening…the first days it was 1/2 times (approximately) every 10 minutes…a big difference.

Userlevel 3
Badge

However over time (1 month) something has changed. The first few days these crackling sounds were very frequent, but the situation improved day by day (the 15.3 update didn't help)... could it be a matter of "break-in" the electrical components? In the last week I rarely hear it, between yesterday and today at most 1/2 times (approximately) in 8 hours of listening…the first days it was 1/2 times (approximately) every 10 minutes…a big difference.

I can also corroborate a similar experience with frequency being less recently than when I got the first pair. However my observations are across several different speakers so I can only provide some anecdotal data of improvement since first reporting when it was very frequent.

From the previous RMA pair #5 and #6, one was pretty bad and the other was comparably quite infrequent. The current pair #7 and #8 are similar in frequency to one another.