Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Getting very intermittent pops & crackles in my Era 300s too. Using a pair as surrounds with an Arc.

just to be sure, do you have wifi enabled on the arc?

I'm not sure if this is an issue, hoping someone can confirm they hear the same thing. This is occurring even after today's 03/31 firmware update on my era 300s. They are set as surrounds with my arc.

Whenever I start/pause a song while listening through the Sonos app (or cast from something like spotify) I hear a click sound on both speakers right when I hit play and about 1 second after hitting pause. Almost as if firing up and shutting down is what causes the click.

Weirdly enough it seems to be isolated to playback of music. I tried testing with other media, such as hdr atmos playback from my plex server. I start and pause a movie and those clicks don't happen.

Aside from that I'm not hearing any obvious issues since the latest update. Sound is good. Anyone else experiencing those clicks? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have the same (or similiar issue). If I pair two era 300 as stereo pair and set treble >= 5 some music tracks have a weird background noise. If I set up two independent systems the problem is gone. 

obvious software problem

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

In addition to the occasional pop’s I also do hear some strange sounds sometimes from certain content. Eg. while watching The Serpent on Netflix Episode 7 and 8 when some of the background music is playing I hear this cricket sounding chirp. Not sure if its an issue, actual effects or just how the Era’s decode the content 🙄

Badge +2

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

This is absolutely ridiculous. Sonos has gone so far downhill, with no sign of stopping. My partner and I were with the company from the start, but this was the last mistake; we have already begun investing in a hifi system—we’ve simply seen too much nonsense with Sonos and for too long. Patrick will drive this company into the ground if these are the kind of standards people to which people may look forward. 

IMO it looks like a hardware issue because I rearranged stereo pair (left positioned era as right and right as left) and the first era always has much more "vinyl noise" than the second one 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

IMO it looks like a hardware issue because I rearranged stereo pair (left positioned era as right and right as left) and the first era always has much more "vinyl noise" than the second one 

😬😬this is going to be a big problem for sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Any more experiences with the update?

Badge

Hi all - I bought an Era 100 a few days ago and during setup it updated to 15.3.  Over the weekend I first noticed pops when playing “Stop That Man” by Tune-Yards from my iPhone, after which I found this thread.  Experimenting this morning, I found that the pops went away when I turned off Sound Check in my phone’s music settings.  I’m not sure why that worked, since the track plays fine with Sound Check on through other speakers and headphones.  Just wanted to pass that along.  I’ll keep Sound Check off for now and submit diagnostics if the pops happen again.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Any more experiences with the update?

Well, I’m listening now for almost 5 hours to audio on my Era 300’s and so far no cracks anymore… so far… so good! What about you?

None of you hasn't got any valuable reply yet? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

None of you hasn't got any valuable reply yet? 

no I think I'm going to bring them back and wait for a clear answer.  Maybe I'll buy them again Then

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Flare

With my ERA100 I hear a very quiet crackling sound

I have that as well along with the occasional pop’s.😳 Hope at some point soon this is fixed with a software update..or if its H/W Sonos owns up, fixes it and replaces the units for those affected.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (v15.4, release date: 5/23/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.

Very keen to hear the feedback, if all is good its back to JBHifi for me to pick up the Era300’s again!

Userlevel 1
Badge

No popping sounds here on my Era 300 so far…

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think the version number remains the same...

According to german forum the update should be online

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

what does the build number mean?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Denni_86 

came another update to 15.4?
because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

I do not quite understand :)

Apologies - it doesn’t help that I got the date wrong. Thanks for pointing it out - I’ve corrected my post.

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a firmware build change, which you can see in About My System).

is this the new Build 73041230 ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Denni_86 

because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

Apologies - it doesn’t help that I got the date wrong. Thanks for pointing it out - I’ve corrected my post.

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a build change, which you can see in About My System).

You have a number for me regarding the build change? Currently is have 73041050. Is this correct. As the version number didn't changed how can i verify if i have the latest update?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Denni_86 

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a build change, which you can see in About My System).

You have a number for me regarding the build change? Currently is have 73041050. Is this correct. As the version number didn't changed how can i verify if i have the latest update?

i think the new is Build 73041230 ?!?

Userlevel 1

I’ve purchased an ARC + 2 era300s as surround at the end of April and I’ve been experiencing these pops really frequently. For me it happens almost every 2nd or 3rd time I setup trueplay.

I switch between stereo and surround mode often, because music is just superior on the ERA300 compared to the arc. And this is why I need to setup trueplay that much. It will usually fail right after trueplay and there will be constant very loud pops until I disable surround and start the whole process again.

When it finally works it works, but then I experience this small crackling sounds multiple times daily. Starting to get used to them….

I’ve talked to support and sent them the links to these forum posts such as this one. The first agent haven’t even heard about this issue. I’ve sent a lot of diagnostics, no one seems to know anything yet this thread is 2 years old...

I really like how it sounds when it actually works, but this is becoming so frustrating that I am considering sending it back, just not sure what other alternatives are out there for such a good atmos experience. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Denni_86 

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a firmware build change, which you can see in About My System).

is this the Build 73041230 ?

I have a different number which is 73041050?….. very confusing this!

I'm still getting loud pops on mine even after the update. It happens when I'm using my Xbox series x and press the home button while watching Netflix.  Anyone else still getting the pops?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Denni_86 

i think the new is Build 73041230 ?!?

strange… as it’s saying my Sonos is already updated. Is this update also available in Europe or only US? I have my updates on “automatic updates” already,,,,,

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Denni_86 

is this the Build 73041230 ?

I have a different number which is 73041050?….. very confusing this!

I have the number from the German forum maybe it is in Germany another... that can only @Corry P  answer