Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a single Era 300 used of course, just for music. Have not had this issue and from reading online, this problem only seems to rear it's head when the 300s are used as surrounds? 

yes only as surrounds

I could be wrong but I think I saw comments where some users had the pops with stereo 100s/300s as well

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jrennell

thanks for the info

But isn't it strange that the Era100&300 have this same problem? Because they 2 speakers do not have the same hardware ??!

I think that makes a large assumption that they don’t share internal electronics of some kind that could be affected as one possibility. They are not identical but I would imagine they could have a lot of similarities for manufacturing, firmware and software integration reasons (as my speculation anyway).

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Flare

this is exactly the noise.

really that means when I get this noise and rewind in the film comes at the same point the noise again ???

Because then you could say sonos in the film at this point comes the noise…

Yes NETFLIX. I tried multiple times and the pop happened every time at the same place. Anyone else can see if it happens for them at around 44:07 while watching episode 2 of American Manhunt?

Userlevel 3
Badge

has the support mentioned if there will be a statement or how it will go on ?

Nothing was mentioned to me regarding this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

really that means when I get this noise and rewind in the film comes at the same point the noise again ???

Yes NETFLIX. I tried multiple times and the pop happened every time at the same place. Anyone else can see if it happens for them at around 44:07 while watching episode 2 of American Manhunt?

I listened at the same time as you I hear it in my right speaker!!!!! Bizar this…

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was just able to update me Era’s to build #73041230 and I’m going to start testing out some movies and music to see if it fixes the popping/clicking. Hoping for the best! 

Any update? Till now i must say since the latest update I didn’t hear popping or cracks but still testing…

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

for me it does not happen at 44:07... too bad

you watch in english ?

Yes, listen carefully again in all speakers

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

for me it does not happen at 44:07... too bad

you watch in english ?

Yes, listen carefully again in all speakers

fact with me also rear right, but a little later than 44:07
that is crazy

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Denni_86 

Thanks - I’ve passed it along to an engineer.

Regarding the update (which was last month), there are these release notes:

https://support.sonos.com/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

I hear popping sounds from both bij Era 300’s too. Use them as rears, combined with an Arc and Sub (gen 3). Never experienced this with my previous Ones as rears 

I had exactly the same set up and replaced the play1s with Era300s with no issues? All is connected wirelessly in my set up.

Same here. Also when watching movies in Atmos? I hear it when watching Dune on HBO Max for example

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

However over time (1 month) something has changed. The first few days these crackling sounds were very frequent, but the situation improved day by day (the 15.3 update didn't help)... could it be a matter of "break-in" the electrical components? In the last week I rarely hear it, between yesterday and today at most 1/2 times (approximately) in 8 hours of listening…the first days it was 1/2 times (approximately) every 10 minutes…a big difference.

I can also corroborate a similar experience with frequency being less recently than when I got the first pair. However my observations are across several different speakers so I can only provide some anecdotal data of improvement since first reporting when it was very frequent.

From the previous RMA pair #5 and #6, one was pretty bad and the other was comparably quite infrequent. The current pair #7 and #8 are similar in frequency to one another.

I've had 5…now 4…all as 2 Arc surround. In fact, the more I go on, the more confused I am. I know a guy who has 2 Era300 paired with Beam Gen1 and he has never encountered this problem… I wonder if it only happens with some pairings… I don't know what to think anymore. But of 5 Era300 all have this problem…

Userlevel 3
Badge

Do you have automatic updates showing as enabled in the App?

Yes, my system has the “Update Automatically” enabled.

I shared the version from the issue I had while using speakers #3, #4, #5 and #6

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/sonos-era-300-static-pop-sound-6881431?postid=16654711#post16654711

It is the same version on the system currently as well

Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)
Hardware Version: 1.38.3.10-1.2
Series ID: A100

If my memory serves, this current build was released after I had reported the issue from #1 and #2. Sharing for curiosity, I’m definitely not in a position to confirm or deny the update had any effect on the issue. Comments in this thread from others reported the issue persisted on their speakers after updating however.

It seems without some more explicit indication from Sonos themselves we’d just be guessing at whether there’s a firmware/software component to the underlying issue and whether they’re attempting to resolve it that way. The Sonos folks should have a far better perspective on the reports, diagnostics and configurations of the affected units that have been reported so I trust they’ll isolate the issue and I’ll just have to be patient while they figure it out.

Hopefully the units that have been RMA’d so far are useful. I’m starting to feel some guilt burning through these units!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Denni_86 

Thanks - I’ve passed it along to an engineer.

Regarding the update (which was last month), there are these release notes:

https://support.sonos.com/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

@Corry P

the eras were updated to 15.2.2, the rest remained on 15.2

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Providing an update on my case. I received 2 more Era 300s through the RMA process. I will identify these as speaker #5 and #6 (speakers #1-4 all had the popping sound issue I documented).

One of the new Era 300 speakers--I’ll call it #5--has the issue while the other I have not confirmed does or does not at this time. After a couple hours of streaming Apple Music on them as a stereo pair I have only noticed the pop sounds coming from the right speaker, #5.

For others experiencing this issue, I would recommend documenting the sounds as best you can with a video and contacting Sonos support as soon as possible. Be prepared for a troubleshooting process that includes submitting a diagnostic and possibly resetting the speaker(s) and playing some music for a few minutes. It’s a pain but I’m thankful for the support I’ve received. The resolutions I’ve experienced so far is to issue a replacement which is inconvenient but what alternative is there... From my perspective there is no indication that it is a software or configuration issue nor is it officially a known issue on Sonos’s end at this time when I asked.

For reference, my current system information for the Era 300 that is affected:

Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)
Hardware Version: 1.38.3.10-1.2
Series ID: A100

@jrennell 

So you think it's a hardware problem?

If so, why?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Another update has just dropped. 

Which one ? Version ?

15.3 came a few days ago

@soyoth 

Same here, hasn’t encountered issues since the firmware update 

Unfortunately I still have the popping sounds too. No matter the audio format, it’s quite annoying when gaming 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

does anyone have any news?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this happening to anyone without the Arc?

My partner, and at least one other person he works with, is having the same issue but bonded to the Beam (Gen 2), if that is any help to you. Someone else using two Era 300’s solely as a stereo pair has messaged me here to ask a similar question. (Apparently he has already returned the products, which is a shame as he was new to Sonos but has been totally put off future purchases.)

Thanks, what a shame.  Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I got an email from a Sonos engineer, according to this email is the update for it to eliminate the popping, the email is unfortunately in German otherwise I could attach it here....

Thanks for the update! Please let us know your experiences so far….

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi everyone, is everyone happy so far with the ERA specific update released last week that fixes the pop and crackle issue?

I’m pretty happy. I’ve been trying to listen pretty hard for pops and crackling and have yet to encounter anything noticeable. I think we have a winner.

I own two era 300  pared with an arc and sub,with the same issue. Most noticeable in more quiet parts while gaming or watching tv/movies. Sometimes more frequent and sometimes I barely notice it at all. But still annoying when it appears. Hopefully a software update in near future will take care of this. 

Userlevel 1

15.3, Era 100, streaming radio, same popping sound as before.

@Flare,

I have an LG C9 TV and was using the Netflix App installed on that TV.

I have an Apple TV 4, a FireTV 4K and a Nvidia Shield - so when I get a chance I will try the Netflix App on those other devices aswell and replay the clip from episode-2 and if I hear anything I will post back here.  

If I do encounter the click/pop noise and can also easily reproduce it, I will try to grab a recording aswell, along with a diagnostic report and will post those here too. 

I did try replaying the episode-2 clip a few times and both the Wife and I were listening out for the noise, but not heard it so far on the setup here, but as mentioned can certainly hear it in your recording. 

It’s late now here in the U.K. so will try again at some point tomorrow. 

I experience the same popping in my Era 100’s as well. Blutetooth stereo pair