Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Edwin_73 

In the Sonos app, go to Settings » System » About my system. Scroll down till you reach your Era 100/300 unit(s) and check the build number

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Both of the replacement Era 300s I received also have the same issue. The “pallet-id” on the boxes are different from one another so I have no evidence of it being a hardware or software issue.

I’m doing more testing in hopes there could be some setting but it seems unrelated to

• volume or volume limit
  • Atmos or regular audio
  • streaming, bluetooth or audio-in source
  • wifi or ethernet
  • stereo pairing or solo
  • streaming latency setting (from audio-in)

I was able to hear the low-volume static version of the popping for over a minute while very close to a speaker just after it had made the “success” tone after stereo pairing. There seems to be some audible sound when it is ready to play some sound that I’d describe as an opening and closing “thup” that can be heard after some audio events.

All 4 of these Era 300s shipped out of the same location so it is plausible it could be a manufacturing issue with some component in specific batches, an overall hardware issue with the speaker or something software related. I suspect if it were either of the latter it would be reported far more commonly though.

I need to sit down with them a bit longer to record and document the sounds further and will reach back out to Sonos. I certainly hope I don’t need to burn through more RMAs especially if it turns out to be software related.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Edwin_73 

In the Sonos app, go to Settings » System » About my system. Scroll down till you reach your Era 100/300 unit(s) and check the build number

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot this helps a lot. I now see that i have the correct update. Next step is to check if the cracks/ plops are gone now as i had quite some problems with that….. Keep you posted if this update finally will solve this problem. Highly appreciated for your help!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I took the speaker that has been popping a lot back to the store today and got it exchanged for a new unit which I have already installed and Trueplayed.

The new replacement still has audible pops but not as loud as the previous unit and I still hear very faint crackling off and on but only if I put my ear right up to the speaker.

Hope Sonos fixes this soon. I am guessing if it is a H/W issue then they will notify those affected to get the units RMA’ed.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was just able to update me Era’s to build #73041230 and I’m going to start testing out some movies and music to see if it fixes the popping/clicking. Hoping for the best! 

Userlevel 1

EDIT: Same popping with Spotify too. Of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jccrawfo 

There were 2 separate issues causing popping noises on Era 300 units. One was a software issue and has been fixed. The second issue can only be resolved with a replacement of the speaker - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Having said that, not every pop you ever hear is necessarily due to an issue with the speaker - there could be other reasons. But, if there is an issue with the speaker, we will replace it for you.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Is this happening to anyone without the Arc?

Yes, with only Sonos Era 300, same issue

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Flare 

I don’t have any further information at this time.

@Corry P thank you for your reply but that’s very disappointing and frustrating that the issue has not been identified yet. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

... From my perspective there is no indication that it is a software or configuration issue nor is it officially a known issue on Sonos’s end at this time when I asked...

@jrennell

So you think it's a hardware problem?

If so, why?

I’m not a Sonos engineer and I don’t have information I haven’t shared on the thread so I don’t want to make any claim as to what the issue may be. The basis of saying I have no indication of a software issue at this time is a friend of mine has a pair of Era 300s without this issue and it appears to only be reported by some customers. At the time of writing the last reply it seemed like one of the replacement units I received did not have the popping, however I was able to hear pops later while continuing to listen. It does seem less frequent on #6 than #5 for what that’s worth.

I’m going through one more round of RMAs to test speakers #7 and #8 before I may personally give up on this model for a while and will report back what I find. Due to my case of documenting several speakers exhibiting these audio issues, it sounded like my case may be flagged. I hope that means it can provide the right folks as Sonos with sample units to inspect if needed, but again that’s just me speculating.

Userlevel 1

Hi Guys,

First post. Have been reading this thread (unfortunately too late in the day) I got a new Era 300 a few weeks back and noticed more of a bass crackling/rattle which sounded like more of a blown speaking (than a static or popping you guys have described here). Anyway I contacted Sonos support who tried various things after I sent them a few sound samples. Ended up sending it back for replacement which should be turning up today. Hopefully the new one will be ok but is same issues I will re-read in more depth the thread here! 

That is another issue ongoing for years. Here is the thread about it:

. I didn’t hear these small cracklings or pops since the latest firmware upgrade thank god, but the huge pop after trueplay setup requiring restart is another issue :/ 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has anyone updated with 15.3? 

I have. Still getting the odd pop sound from my era 300 in surround mode with an Arc.

Do seem to be louder though?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Do i always have to send back the speakers before i get new ones ?

You can opt for “Advanced” shipping method, at least in the US, which puts a hold on some payment method you provide for the replacement until you return the original (within 14 days of receiving the replacement). Details of that option are available when selecting it as part of the “Process your return” flow.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was just able to update me Era’s to build #73041230 and I’m going to start testing out some movies and music to see if it fixes the popping/clicking. Hoping for the best! 

Any update? Till now i must say since the latest update I didn’t hear popping or cracks but still testing…

I did a little bit of listening yesterday and so far so good? I’m going to really put it through its paces over the weekend but so far I haven’t experienced any noticeable popping. Would love to hear how everyone else is finding the new update though.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Apart from my surround Era 300’s I feel like I’m also hearing a similar “vinyl” like pop coming from my Sonos Arc (not to be confused with the loud pop associated with the Xbox and Apple TV). This is was not present prior to adding the Eras and running true play after updating to 15.2. I’m starting to lean towards this being a TruePlay/Software issue with rather than a hardware issue since the pop is present on my Arc as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

For now it works great.

Userlevel 3
Badge

After updating my Era 300’s to 15.2.2 I’m not experiencing any more pops. I’ll do more testing tonight just to be sure but so far so good!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Corry P Would this information be helpful for the dev team to identify the problem?

My ERA300's are setup as surrounds now on F/W 15.2.2 and while I was watching Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing today on Netflix in 5.1 and I think heard the static pop at around 44:07 from the RIGHT driver of only the LEFT speaker.

The pop was consistently reproduceable no matter how many times I rewind and replay, the pop was clearly audible at the time.

Could someone please listen to this and let me know if the pop that is heard at around 6 seconds is the one that everyone is referring too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaVgkdp7yio

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Submitted diagnostics : 185329483

Also tested again and compiled some additional results :

1. Trueplay ON + Netflix TV App : Single POP is very audible
  2. Trueplay OFF + Netflix TV App : No POP but very faint crackles
  3. TruePlay ON + Netflix thru Apple TV 4K : No POP but very faint crackles
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For me the problem still exists, so even after the update... :(

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update 15.4 is available

Still getting the pops / clicks on my Era 300’s following the update when listening to music via Bandcamp / Amazon music.

Don't get them from my Arc speaker.

Awaiting stock for a replacement pair.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

anyone else having problems after a long time? I have no problems anymore! 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

it is now certain that it is a software problem

Does anyone have a recording of this pop they could share so we know what it sounds like and what to "hear"out for?

Here's two.

It's like the pop you used to hear when playing records.

Right after “Knife”.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

I was asked to factory reset the speakers and set them up again which I did. After completing Trueplay I replayed  Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing and the POP observed earlier was not audible anymore but I could hear some very faint crackling.

I then switched to Apply Music playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers in Atmos and heard a POP once which could not be repeated.

What next?