Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Getting very intermittent pops & crackles in my Era 300s too. Using a pair as surrounds with an Arc.

You can hear it just after “Godzilla”

https://youtu.be/TWmhzIWAwKk

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

I was asked to factory reset the speakers and set them up again which I did. After completing Trueplay I replayed  Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing and the POP observed earlier was not audible anymore but I could hear some very faint crackling.

I then switched to Apply Music playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers in Atmos and heard a POP once which could not be repeated.

What next?

I think that the hotlines sit laymen who have no idea of the matter!

It can not be that we spend our time here for their job, what are we experimental rabbits?

It crackles it ploppt and that with a 500 € speaker, something like that does not even happen with a 20 € speaker from amazon ...

I can not understand how they can publish something like that!

I agree with you! A shame

Userlevel 1

Today I noticed something new, now the ERA100 also crackle... has anyone else ?

No, only that crackle/pop while listening to something. No change with 15.2.2. Primarily listening to radio stations, single ERA 100 via WiFi.

No, nothing like that. Mine was more a rattle/crackle  when bass was coming through the speaker, it almost sounded as though the speaker had blown is the only way I could describe it. I have a new Era 300 now and no issues, then sound is perfect 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Denni_86 I hear that sometimes too but not when the speaker is idle. 

I followed up on my case yesterday and support suggested I get the speaker replaced.🤦🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

15.3 does not bring any improvement...
Problems are still there 👍🏽

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have noticed that the firmware version has remained the same. How is it going for you? Fingers crossed…but for now it's ok.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Following the update, all seems good on my Era 100, with music playing from my NAS.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So I got one speaker replaced but popping is occurring off and on. I also tried playing ABC News 103.90 via the Sonos App and if I listen very intently crackles can be heard quite consistently. :-(

Userlevel 1

Updated my Era 100`s to 15.4 and the popping sounds are still present.

I returned some Era 100s with popping

Userlevel 1

Hi. 

installed the update and still hear the pops on my pair of era 300 with arc and sub. 

watching Picard and had it poping 4 times in a 5 min period. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just heard the pop sound about halfway through Bohemian Rhapsody 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was able to run Trueplay as a system without the popping and cracking noise. I unplugged the power of the arc, reseated the same HDMI cable from the TV going to the arc. I’ll run Trueplay again to make sure it’s ok. It saved me of returning/exchanging them for new ones..LOL. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Any updates?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

HI. After the update I still hear the popping. Am I wrong or has it improved? They seem weaker and more sporadic.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare 

With my ERA100 I hear a very quiet crackling sound

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think I had the cracking only with stereo PCM ?!

can someone test this ?

same issue here, popping sounds on my era 100 and 300

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (v15.4, release date: 5/23/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.

came another update to 15.4?
because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

I do not quite understand :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (v15.4, release date: 5/23/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.

because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

Hi @Denni_86 there is another update release today specifically for Era300 and Era100 that is supposed to address the pops and crackles.

ahhhh ok nice 👍🏽

test tomorrow when I come from vacation...
I already had no hope honestly

Userlevel 1

No additional update over the already released 15.4 to be found here (Europe). Hoping the hotfix solves those issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Denni_86 

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

Apologies - it doesn’t help that I got the date wrong. Thanks for pointing it out - I’ve corrected my post.

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a firmware build change, which you can see in About My System on Era units).

Userlevel 2
Badge

Contacted Sonos support today regarding the issue. Nothing showed up in the diagnostics that I submitted then typically got the pop / crackle sound twice whilst on hold! (beginning of same song but third time it didn’t happen)

Doesn’t seem that I am eliglible for a replacement via Sonos and will have to contact the company I bought the speakers through. Don’t really want my money back as then I will have two very expensive coat hangers in corners of my room :-)