Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Is it possible to tag a Sonos rep in this thread so we can get some eyes on this issue? 

yes is this possible?

Userlevel 2
Badge

does anyone have any news?

Yeah I’m curious also as I still have this annoying crack regularly…

The pop’s are reproduceable with certain content. For example, I was wathing a movie on Netflix yesterday and heard the pop, I rewinded 3 times and all 3 times the pop was audible at the same time. After the 4th rewind thought it was gone. Very strange and frustrating!

Given the case that you were able to initially reproduce the issue, It would have been much better to capture the sounds you heard with a mobile audio recording held near to the speaker and also taken a diagnostic report via the Sonos App… Once that was done, to then contact Sonos customer support, who could maybe forward the data gathered to engineers in order to help rectify the matter. At the moment there’s no data seemingly gathered and it appears to be an opportunity lost - it’s not even clear which movie you’re referring to? It’s not going to help to simply mention these things in a user-community, without trying to gather some form of data to perhaps help Sonos to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 1

Did so and Sonos said it was an issue with atmos codec. Makes sense as didn’t do it on Sonos ones as rears! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I unplugged my ethernet cable from the Arc and ran it wirelessly. Did Trueplay with each one of them plus stereo pair with Era 300, works fine, then did a Trueplay for the whole set up together and heard the popping noise again right after. Contacted Support already, so I’ll see what they come up with. 

Badge +2

Did so and Sonos said it was an issue with atmos codec. Makes sense as didn’t do it on Sonos ones as rears! 

I have experienced the issue with 5.1 content as well. Not just Atmos unfortunately. My wife is having a similar experience. A former colleague of mine, now an audio tech editor at The Verge, says he is getting many reports of this kind of thing as well. 

After update to 15.2.2 sounds good! ;) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m still getting the pops and crackles but they seem to be less frequent or I’m getting immune to them. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

To me the problem still persists after the 15.2.2 update… maybe weaker but more frequent.

To me the problem still persists after the 15.2.2 update… maybe weaker but more frequent.

@Zanellato Fabio  

at which sound format did the plop sound come?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone, is everyone happy so far with the ERA specific update released last week that fixes the pop and crackle issue?

For now i'm pretty satisfied! Heard no crack/ plop noise since the last update. Still I keep my fingers crossed. Also curious about other comments….

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

i think so too
i'm just surprised that they release a patch for it but it doesn't fix the problem

So far i have no problems anymore but tomorrow I’ll test more and hopefully it’s really fixed! 

@Edwin_73 

what sound formats do you know?

Badge +2

Hi, 

I have the same on the era 100. I already returned 2 of them and the third one still have the same issue 

Sorry to hear that, but thank you for letting us know.

Userlevel 1

Seems a software issue! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So for me the popping is gone since the update…

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Guys,

First post. Have been reading this thread (unfortunately too late in the day) I got a new Era 300 a few weeks back and noticed more of a bass crackling/rattle which sounded like more of a blown speaking (than a static or popping you guys have described here). Anyway I contacted Sonos support who tried various things after I sent them a few sound samples. Ended up sending it back for replacement which should be turning up today. Hopefully the new one will be ok but is same issues I will re-read in more depth the thread here! 

@Cbay 

check out my videos, do you have these popping noises? these should be fixed since the last update.

I have the same (or similiar issue). If I pair two era 300 as stereo pair and set treble >= 5 some music tracks have a weird background noise. If I set up two independent systems the problem is gone.