Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was so excited to receive my Sonos Era 300 yesterday. Everything sounded great at first. But last night I was going to fall asleep to some music like I sometimes do and I noticed a static pop sound. It’s like listening to your music while someone is slowly closing a bag of chips.  

I tried everything. Unplugged, reset, tried playing through both the Sonos and Apple Music app and it still did it.  

Anyone else notice this issue?

I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I’m not waiting to see if it is  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 13:48

View original

266 replies

Did you submit data to Sonos about it via a diagnostic, and call in so that the Support folks could forward it to engineering to look at? Anecdotal data tends not to be useful to most coders, in my experience, if they’re chasing a bug of any type, they want to see hard data in logs, and preferably be able to recreate the issue locally. 

Userlevel 1

Hearing same issue with intermittent popping noise as well like that described above. Using bluetooth as Airplay was dropping. If over Wifi could assume poor signal, but that doesn’t seem to be case.

Userlevel 1

The digital popping sound seems to follow with transients in audio e.g., it can sound almost like an intentional very light click track with the beat (although with some latency and inconsistency ). 

Getting very intermittent pops & crackles in my Era 300s too. Using a pair as surrounds with an Arc.

Badge +2

Same problem on another pair of 300’s despite working through countless theoretical “fixes” ad infinitum….

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Getting very intermittent pops & crackles in my Era 300s too. Using a pair as surrounds with an Arc.

just to be sure, do you have wifi enabled on the arc?

Userlevel 1

Hi. 

I am getting the same with my pair connected to the arc. Intermittent popping sounds.

I hear popping sounds from both bij Era 300’s too. Use them as rears, combined with an Arc and Sub (gen 3). Never experienced this with my previous Ones as rears 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I hear popping sounds from both bij Era 300’s too. Use them as rears, combined with an Arc and Sub (gen 3). Never experienced this with my previous Ones as rears 

I had exactly the same set up and replaced the play1s with Era300s with no issues? All is connected wirelessly in my set up.

I had exactly the same set up and replaced the play1s with Era300s with no issues? All is connected wirelessly in my set up.

Same here. Also when watching movies in Atmos? I hear it when watching Dune on HBO Max for example

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same issue - have 2 X Era 300 set up as surround sound speakers and get these random static pops 

Userlevel 1

To hear the static / popping noise I found that during playback of an audiobook helps to make it more obvious. The static is only present when audio is playing. The static is easier to hear when reducing the volume of the unit.  It is faint, and not a very high frequency sound which makes it difficult to hear during music playback (unless there is a solo drum track). I am using a single Era 300 with this issue. Have not found anything that reduces the static. Concerned this is a hardware issue (e.g., will need to return the unit).

I think one of the best ways forward with this type of issue, is to supply Sonos with the data by submitting a system diagnostic report as soon as a pop/click is noticed. Make a note of the reference generated by the report and maybe go onto try to capture an audio, or video, recording too, that’s if it’s easy to reproduce. Then contact Sonos Support Staff via this LINK to provide them with all the gathered information. That usually helps to get such things fixed quickly.

Userlevel 1

Did so and Sonos said it was an issue with atmos codec. Makes sense as didn’t do it on Sonos ones as rears! 

Badge +2

Did so and Sonos said it was an issue with atmos codec. Makes sense as didn’t do it on Sonos ones as rears! 

I have experienced the issue with 5.1 content as well. Not just Atmos unfortunately. My wife is having a similar experience. A former colleague of mine, now an audio tech editor at The Verge, says he is getting many reports of this kind of thing as well. 

Hi, 

I have the same on the era 100. I already returned 2 of them and the third one still have the same issue 

Badge +2

Hi, 

I have the same on the era 100. I already returned 2 of them and the third one still have the same issue 

Sorry to hear that, but thank you for letting us know.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Following

My new pair of Sonos Era 100 are making these popping sounds at irregular intervals.

What an annoying glitch. 

Also, when paired in Bluetooth, the paring vanishes after awhile, and each speaker gives out "mono" sound. Meaning both work separately as a single speaker, even though marked in the app and the device as still being Bluetooth paired for best stereo separation experience. 

What a bummer. 🤐

Userlevel 1

Seems a software issue! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Considering the Arc has had issues for a while now it’s no shock the new speakers are too. Hopefully it’s fixed soon. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just heard the pop sound about halfway through Bohemian Rhapsody 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m also experiencing these static pops on my surround Era 300’s. I also noticed I get static pops when running True Play ever since adding the 300’s. Never had an issue with my One’s.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this happening to anyone without the Arc?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is it possible to tag a Sonos rep in this thread so we can get some eyes on this issue?