Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was so excited to receive my Sonos Era 300 yesterday. Everything sounded great at first. But last night I was going to fall asleep to some music like I sometimes do and I noticed a static pop sound. It’s like listening to your music while someone is slowly closing a bag of chips.  

I tried everything. Unplugged, reset, tried playing through both the Sonos and Apple Music app and it still did it.  

Anyone else notice this issue?

I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I’m not waiting to see if it is  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 13:48

View original

266 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Flare 

It can take some time for issues to make their way onto the documentation that our Level 1 agents have access to. Their being unaware of a particular issue does not necessarily mean that we as a company are unaware, just that the handling procedure for that issue hasn’t yet been finalised. Please be aware that as regular forum visitors, you may hear of new issues at the same time that we do, and we need time to properly assess and verify things before telling everyone related to technical support in the entire company about them.

Please be assured that we are still investigating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (release date: 5/31/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.

Edit: Corrected release date

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this happening to anyone without the Arc?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

this is exactly the noise. Netflix?

really that means when I get this noise and rewind in the film comes at the same point the noise again ???

Because then you could say sonos in the film at this point comes the noise…

Userlevel 3
Badge

Providing an update on my case. I received 2 more Era 300s through the RMA process. I will identify these as speaker #5 and #6 (speakers #1-4 all had the popping sound issue I documented).

One of the new Era 300 speakers--I’ll call it #5--has the issue while the other I have not confirmed does or does not at this time. After a couple hours of streaming Apple Music on them as a stereo pair I have only noticed the pop sounds coming from the right speaker, #5.

For others experiencing this issue, I would recommend documenting the sounds as best you can with a video and contacting Sonos support as soon as possible. Be prepared for a troubleshooting process that includes submitting a diagnostic and possibly resetting the speaker(s) and playing some music for a few minutes. It’s a pain but I’m thankful for the support I’ve received. The resolutions I’ve experienced so far is to issue a replacement which is inconvenient but what alternative is there... From my perspective there is no indication that it is a software or configuration issue nor is it officially a known issue on Sonos’s end at this time when I asked.

For reference, my current system information for the Era 300 that is affected:

Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)
Hardware Version: 1.38.3.10-1.2
Series ID: A100

Userlevel 3
Badge

To provide some closure to my contribution in this discussion, I ended up deciding to return the Era 300 speakers. It does seem to be acknowledged as a known issue from the last couple of support conversations that I had, but I do not have clear information to share as it’s still being investigated.

I had a total of 10 (ten) Era 300 speakers through the original purchased pair and 4 RMA replacements. All 10 exhibited the issue. To recap from earlier messages, the first 4 early on were quite bad, multiple pops heard per song. The later 6 were remarkably better at an average  of about 1 pop every 10 minutes for the last pair (tracking them on a notepad).

One speaker in the third set I had seemed to be much better than the other in that pair. All other pairs showed comparable frequencies in the number of pops. However other than this latest pair that I tracked carefully with notes, the other frequencies are just my anecdotal impression as I was listening.

I wish Sonos and others luck with getting this issue resolved. Unfortunately I will take a pass on this model even though they had very impressive sound overall.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Cross referencing a Reddit thread, evidently widespread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/12aizq7/static_pop_sound_stereo_set_era_300_only_using/

Sound is like the popping/clicking that can be heard while listening to vinyl albums. Happening in stereo streaming Apple Music in the app or audio-in both on wireless and wired.

Submitted diagnostics and will call into support now to see if there’s any case already open or whether debug info can be captured to help investigate.

As a follow-up, I was able to get support over the phone reporting this issue. After a few diagnosis I was asked to attempt to capture a video of the sounds. After 15 minutes of pointing my phone at the speaker streaming music via the Sonos app, I was able to capture an audible “pop”. 

Unfortunately at this time the resolution attempt is to issue an RMA for the affected speakers. I will report back regarding whether the replacements resolve the issue or not after I receive them and have a little time to test.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello I have it in the German Sonos forums also already addressed, there is the problem also with many users...

I have created another recording here where you can hear the plop sound very

Hello I have it in the German Sonos forums also already addressed, there is the problem also with many users...

I have created another recording here where you can hear the plop sound very well.

thanks for the recording.  That is exactly what I hear in my 2 Era300s.  So annoying

Userlevel 3
Badge

Cross referencing a Reddit thread, evidently widespread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/12aizq7/static_pop_sound_stereo_set_era_300_only_using/

Sound is like the popping/clicking that can be heard while listening to vinyl albums. Happening in stereo streaming Apple Music in the app or audio-in both on wireless and wired.

Submitted diagnostics and will call into support now to see if there’s any case already open or whether debug info can be captured to help investigate.

Userlevel 2
Badge

so the update has not really helped anything...

it would be interesting to note the sound formats, because I think I had the errors only with stereo PCM, but could also be a coincidence...

It definitely helped me as i heard it once in (still trying to figure out if it was a crack) almost 7 hours of listening! Before the update I heard it much louder and more frequently! If they come so quick with an update it gives me confidence they can solve this problem! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same issue - have 2 X Era 300 set up as surround sound speakers and get these random static pops 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Update 15.4 is available

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Zanellato Fabio @BJ2003 

okay with me it was Stereo PCM format so far, tomorrow times the other formats test…

I’ve never heard of so many issues with new Sonos speaker. We shouldn’t have to work so hard to make an expensive product work. SO many are having significant issues. How could Sonos release such a buggy product?

Userlevel 2
Badge

New update for the Era’s available

I've updated and not heard any pops, clicks or cracks in past hour. Bloody typical as I'm expecting replacements on Friday!

Will keep playing tonight and see if it stays golden.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Flare 

It can take some time for issues to make their way onto the documentation that our Level 1 agents have access to. Their being unaware of a particular issue does not necessarily mean that we as a company are unaware, just that the handling procedure for that issue hasn’t yet been finalised. Please be aware that as regular forum visitors, you may hear of new issues at the same time that we do, and we need time to properly assess and verify things before telling everyone related to technical support in the entire company about them.

Please be assured that we are still investigating.

Hi @Corry P Thank you for taking the time to clarify the process. Hopefully with all the information received to date the issue can be resolved quickly.

Would it be possible for us to know what 15.2.2 addressed?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have decided to return my Era300's.

I am experiencing the same crackling and popping along with connection issues that are clearly specific to the ERA 300s and none of the other speakers in my system. Unfortunately am leaning towards returning now in spite of good they sound for Atmos content. More issues than I've had with all other Sonos speakers combined. I assume they will be sorted out, but not risking potentially faulty hardware.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m also experiencing these static pops on my surround Era 300’s. I also noticed I get static pops when running True Play ever since adding the 300’s. Never had an issue with my One’s.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (v15.4, release date: 5/23/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.

came another update to 15.4?
because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

I do not quite understand :)

Hi @Denni_86 there is another update release today specifically for Era300 and Era100 that is supposed to address the pops and crackles.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is it possible to tag a Sonos rep in this thread so we can get some eyes on this issue? 

Badge +2

Is this happening to anyone without the Arc?

My partner, and at least one other person he works with, is having the same issue but bonded to the Beam (Gen 2), if that is any help to you. Someone else using two Era 300’s solely as a stereo pair has messaged me here to ask a similar question. (Apparently he has already returned the products, which is a shame as he was new to Sonos but has been totally put off future purchases.)

Userlevel 1

Hi.

Random on left and right. just like a pop / click. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have created another recording here where you can hear the plop sound very well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Edwin_73 

strange… as it’s saying my Sonos is already updated. Is this update also available in Europe or only US? I have my updates on “automatic updates” already,,,,,

I am in the UK and have the update. We may not be in the E.U. anymore, but we are still in Europe. 😁

This patch should be available to you wherever you are.

Edit: If you rely on automatic updates, it will take slightly longer to receive the update as we stagger them to try to avoid swamping our servers. If you do a manual check for updates, you will receive it immediately - if you don’t already have it installed. Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates