Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was so excited to receive my Sonos Era 300 yesterday. Everything sounded great at first. But last night I was going to fall asleep to some music like I sometimes do and I noticed a static pop sound. It’s like listening to your music while someone is slowly closing a bag of chips.  

I tried everything. Unplugged, reset, tried playing through both the Sonos and Apple Music app and it still did it.  

Anyone else notice this issue?

I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I’m not waiting to see if it is  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 13:48

View original

266 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Don't seem to be getting the pops or crackling when watching content via my TV but still present when playing audio via the Sonos app.

Not sure if still present whilst playing PS5, will try tomorrow.

Userlevel 3
Badge

To provide some closure to my contribution in this discussion, I ended up deciding to return the Era 300 speakers. It does seem to be acknowledged as a known issue from the last couple of support conversations that I had, but I do not have clear information to share as it’s still being investigated.

I had a total of 10 (ten) Era 300 speakers through the original purchased pair and 4 RMA replacements. All 10 exhibited the issue. To recap from earlier messages, the first 4 early on were quite bad, multiple pops heard per song. The later 6 were remarkably better at an average  of about 1 pop every 10 minutes for the last pair (tracking them on a notepad).

One speaker in the third set I had seemed to be much better than the other in that pair. All other pairs showed comparable frequencies in the number of pops. However other than this latest pair that I tracked carefully with notes, the other frequencies are just my anecdotal impression as I was listening.

I wish Sonos and others luck with getting this issue resolved. Unfortunately I will take a pass on this model even though they had very impressive sound overall.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have decided to return my Era300's.

I returned some Era 100s with popping

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Update 15.4 is available

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update 15.4 is available

Still getting the pops / clicks on my Era 300’s following the update when listening to music via Bandcamp / Amazon music.

Don't get them from my Arc speaker.

Awaiting stock for a replacement pair.

Userlevel 1

Updated my Era 100`s to 15.4 and the popping sounds are still present.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

HI. After the update I still hear the popping. Am I wrong or has it improved? They seem weaker and more sporadic.

I have read this post over and over…and was incredibly disappointed as I had the same issue with popping and squealing intermittently throughout use on PS5, direct from the TV, and streaming.  I just bought this system less than 30 days ago.

I was about to box everything up (Arc, Era300s, and Gen3 sub) and send it back…but alas…as crazy as it sounds…when I was thinking about unhooking it, I checked the optical wire (using an optical wire on the TV for the ARC) and although it seemed like it was plugged in…it actually pushed in farther…and the problem (seemingly magically!!) went away.  It had to completely bottom out to the first flange on the optical cable.

Once I did this - all the pops and weird random sounds, chirps, etc… went away.  I have been using it without any weird sounds now for the last 2 weeks and all seems good with multiple medias and sources.

So….check your wire to make sure it is securely on the back of your TV…ALL the way in…I know…sounds crazy…but worked for me.

I hope it works for others.  Cheers!

Userlevel 1

Good advice for anybody actually using an optical connection. Does not apply to me / my Era 100s. Btw it looks like as if the frequency of the popping depends on the source - streaming radio from TuneIn gives me plenty of popping, streaming from Spotify I did not hear anything popping for a longer time now.

Still far from being an acceptable situation.

Userlevel 1

EDIT: Same popping with Spotify too. Of course.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

have the 15.4 fixed the plopping noise?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Unfortunately not… in some films it is still very present.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Unfortunately not… in some films it is still very present.

very disappointing…is certainly an electrical problem

Really starting to regret buying Sonos. Very poor quality control in general. Arc arrived with some damage 8 times, pair of Sonos five was unbalanced when using trueplay for almost a year, soundprofil of arc was totally poor when Sonos released software update for sub mini for 90 days and now Era 300 ( 1000 Euro) cracks. Spent over 4,5 K for Sonos just to end up as some kind of beta tester. As soon as summer sale is over I will sell all my gear ( arc, two subs gen3, two fives and two Era 300) and get a proper wired system. Used to love Sonos but starting with arc their products become more and more garbage! Sonos support denied there is a problem, all they do is asking to submit diagnosis and pretend everything is good. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

New update for the Era’s available

Userlevel 2
Badge

I've updated and not heard any pops, clicks or cracks in past hour. Bloody typical as I'm expecting replacements on Friday!

Will keep playing tonight and see if it stays golden.

I've updated and not heard any pops, clicks or cracks in past hour. Bloody typical as I'm expecting replacements on Friday!

Will keep playing tonight and see if it stays golden.

hopefully that fixes the problem

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have noticed that the firmware version has remained the same. How is it going for you? Fingers crossed…but for now it's ok.

I'm not sure if this is an issue, hoping someone can confirm they hear the same thing. This is occurring even after today's 03/31 firmware update on my era 300s. They are set as surrounds with my arc.

Whenever I start/pause a song while listening through the Sonos app (or cast from something like spotify) I hear a click sound on both speakers right when I hit play and about 1 second after hitting pause. Almost as if firing up and shutting down is what causes the click.

Weirdly enough it seems to be isolated to playback of music. I tried testing with other media, such as hdr atmos playback from my plex server. I start and pause a movie and those clicks don't happen.

Aside from that I'm not hearing any obvious issues since the latest update. Sound is good. Anyone else experiencing those clicks? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (release date: 5/31/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.

Edit: Corrected release date

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (v15.4, release date: 5/23/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.

Very keen to hear the feedback, if all is good its back to JBHifi for me to pick up the Era300’s again!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Musky75 et al

The recent software update (v15.4, release date: 5/23/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

came another update to 15.4?
because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

I do not quite understand :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Musky75 et al

because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

Hi @Denni_86 there is another update release today specifically for Era300 and Era100 that is supposed to address the pops and crackles.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Musky75 et al

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

Hi @Denni_86 there is another update release today specifically for Era300 and Era100 that is supposed to address the pops and crackles.

ahhhh ok nice 👍🏽

test tomorrow when I come from vacation...
I already had no hope honestly