Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was so excited to receive my Sonos Era 300 yesterday. Everything sounded great at first. But last night I was going to fall asleep to some music like I sometimes do and I noticed a static pop sound. It’s like listening to your music while someone is slowly closing a bag of chips.  

I tried everything. Unplugged, reset, tried playing through both the Sonos and Apple Music app and it still did it.  

Anyone else notice this issue?

I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I’m not waiting to see if it is  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 13:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi. 

installed the update and still hear the pops on my pair of era 300 with arc and sub. 

watching Picard and had it poping 4 times in a 5 min period. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi. 

installed the update and still hear the pops on my pair of era 300 with arc and sub. 

watching Picard and had it poping 4 times in a 5 min period. 

@soyoth 
Was the popping from a single speaker, both at the same time or both randomly?

Userlevel 1

Hi.

Random on left and right. just like a pop / click. 

Userlevel 1

When using the buttons on the Era 300, particularly the volume slider, the static / popping sound is pretty clear (a little after you hear the beep tone the speaker is intended to make) even after the update. With the update it is very hard to hear the static now while playing music - greatly diminished. But it concerns me that the unit still has popping issues. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I took the speaker that has been popping a lot back to the store today and got it exchanged for a new unit which I have already installed and Trueplayed.

The new replacement still has audible pops but not as loud as the previous unit and I still hear very faint crackling off and on but only if I put my ear right up to the speaker.

Hope Sonos fixes this soon. I am guessing if it is a H/W issue then they will notify those affected to get the units RMA’ed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think it is important that as many people as possible create a ticket at sonos for this reason, so that sonos sees that it sucks....

Do you think they have not known before the sale or deliberately ignored?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have a single Era 300 used of course, just for music. Have not had this issue and from reading online, this problem only seems to rear it's head when the 300s are used as surrounds? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have a single Era 300 used of course, just for music. Have not had this issue and from reading online, this problem only seems to rear it's head when the 300s are used as surrounds? 

yes only as surrounds

Userlevel 3
Badge

yes only as surrounds

I could be wrong but I think I saw comments where some users had the pops with stereo 100s/300s as well

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

yes only as surrounds

I could be wrong but I think I saw comments where some users had the pops with stereo 100s/300s as well

okay 🤷🏽‍♂️

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Has already heard from sonos ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Today I noticed something new, now the ERA100 also crackle... has anyone else ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Denni_86 I hear that sometimes too but not when the speaker is idle. 

I followed up on my case yesterday and support suggested I get the speaker replaced.🤦🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So I got one speaker replaced but popping is occurring off and on. I also tried playing ABC News 103.90 via the Sonos App and if I listen very intently crackles can be heard quite consistently. :-(

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

update 15.3 is available

Has anyone updated with 15.3? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has anyone updated with 15.3? 

I have. Still getting the odd pop sound from my era 300 in surround mode with an Arc.

Do seem to be louder though?

Userlevel 1

Today I noticed something new, now the ERA100 also crackle... has anyone else ?

No, only that crackle/pop while listening to something. No change with 15.2.2. Primarily listening to radio stations, single ERA 100 via WiFi.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

15.3 does not bring any improvement...
Problems are still there 👍🏽

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

update 15.3 is available

better?

Userlevel 1

Still getting the pop, although fainter. 

Unfortunately I still have the popping sounds too. No matter the audio format, it’s quite annoying when gaming 

I own two era 300  pared with an arc and sub,with the same issue. Most noticeable in more quiet parts while gaming or watching tv/movies. Sometimes more frequent and sometimes I barely notice it at all. But still annoying when it appears. Hopefully a software update in near future will take care of this. 

Userlevel 1

15.3, Era 100, streaming radio, same popping sound as before.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Providing an update on my case. I received 2 more Era 300s through the RMA process. I will identify these as speaker #5 and #6 (speakers #1-4 all had the popping sound issue I documented).

One of the new Era 300 speakers--I’ll call it #5--has the issue while the other I have not confirmed does or does not at this time. After a couple hours of streaming Apple Music on them as a stereo pair I have only noticed the pop sounds coming from the right speaker, #5.

For others experiencing this issue, I would recommend documenting the sounds as best you can with a video and contacting Sonos support as soon as possible. Be prepared for a troubleshooting process that includes submitting a diagnostic and possibly resetting the speaker(s) and playing some music for a few minutes. It’s a pain but I’m thankful for the support I’ve received. The resolutions I’ve experienced so far is to issue a replacement which is inconvenient but what alternative is there... From my perspective there is no indication that it is a software or configuration issue nor is it officially a known issue on Sonos’s end at this time when I asked.

For reference, my current system information for the Era 300 that is affected:

Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)
Hardware Version: 1.38.3.10-1.2
Series ID: A100