Question

The new Sonos S2 App Sucks

Show first post

248 replies

Userlevel 1

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

Same here. It’s ridiculous to say it’s a network problem when EVERYTHING ELSE on the network is working fine. THIS IS A SONOS PROBLEM.

That’s probably the worst about the new app. Instead of apologizing and accepting that the app does not deliver, the standard “please reset your router” advice is provided by Sonos support. On top of that it’s quite a move for Sonos’s CEO to say in an interview that people simply need to adapt to all the changes. Adding a comms desaster to a product development desaster...

Is there a way to search one’s music library on the new app?  
This is a key feature for me.  I have been using the “Classic Search” for months in the old rev app.  

Piling on here just so Sonos knows how many people think the new app sucks. It's not intuitive, it's hard to navigate and best of all your music shuts off, constantly, like every few minutes. Oh listen….. my music just stopped. Again. 

Did we forget to beta test?

So What can be done, this app is a piece of *.  Are they doing anything?

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I’ll add another log onto the fire of discontentment. The new S2 app has turned my Sonos system into an expensive radio. It plays Pandora as well as the previous version, the speakers still sound good, but not having access to my music library is a real let down. The app does show my playlists and so on, but it can’t access the music files. The Sonos app on my Mac shows a little note that says please use the mobile app to setup and control my library. I cannot find anything in the mobile app that addresses how to control/setup the library in my Mac.

Pretty disappointing that my Sonos system that used to work quite well is now kind of a steaming pile of elephant droppings. I’m hoping that the promised updates scheduled for mid-June to reintroduce library access actually works as well or better than the previous S2. If not, I’ll probably shit can the whole system and find something better. 

The new app is absolute hot garbage. 

Steaming pile of dog shit. It literally could not be worse. I can no longer control my Sonos system. It’s not just the missing features or the debilitating lag, or the maimed speaker selection/configuration….its the worst UX design I have ever seen. The older S2 app had its challenges, namely lag in the track control, but I could at least control the speaker selection, EQ and volume very easily and efficiently. I have no clue what is going on with this new app. I can tell you one thing, your customers certainly did not ask for any of this.

It feels like Sonos may be subject to a major litigation for IP infringement and this app is their attempt to void the litigation and remain a going concern. It’s the only explanation I can come up with for this rush to market with this disaster. 

Very true. Been a customer for over a decade. This definately sucks in many ways I haven't deemed possible.

I love Sonos decent sound quality in compact sizes but why Sonos software has to be so awful!

First of all, every update never successfully installed on my laptop/desktop; have to delete app and re-download.

Whenever I have to restart my router, it such a pain having to reset and re-program all the speakers; Sonos can’t find speakers bs….

With Apple Music, not easy to creat station, of course they blame Apple for the problem.

This latest update, I feel sorry for people with multiple rooms. I’m so upset with just my two-room setting, not sure where to start, the way the app decides which room they like to play is just beyond my belief.

The fact that we pay for our speakers, I’m annoyed that they keep pushing us to pay for their inferior Sonos music, and now this update, every time I open the app, it asks me to turn Bluetooth on; I guess it’s for their new headphone product.

I want to love your products, sort yourself out soon, Sonos.

First of all, please just get rid of whoever responsible for your software department and hire someone who’re more capable!!!

If the goal of Sonos was to create an app that was opaque, unfriendly and completely illogical, it has succeeded beyond measure.  True garbage. 

The new app is an abomination. Feels like it was designed by an 8th grade intro to IT class. Truly awful. It is not conceivable that customer sentiment, feedback loops or user testing was performed. On top of a * experience it also seems to perform slowly. 

do better or a lot of folks are done. 

Come on Sonos you can’t leave this steaming pile in the public realm. The old app was average but this new one is near on unusable

I literally cannot make music come out of my Sonos.  It went immediately from the easiest system ever to worst.  Unbelievable update.

New app update a complete disaster. Will be interesting to see if the CEO has a finger on the pulse. What a way to shoot yourself in the foot as a business

please fix

Has anyone from Sonos responded to any of this? I am so frustrated I may go buy a new none SONOS system. This is ridiculous. It keeps forgetting and dropping speakers or saying they are playing when they are not. The new update is a huge step back for this system. 

Same as everyone else. No issues with the system before the app upgrade. Each time I open the app, some of my speakers disappear or are not available. Takes MINUTES to respond to a command playing a track or changing volume up. By that time I am doing something else. Have 8 speakers and had been a happy Sonos customer for years and years until now. I hope Sonos can acknowledge this problem soon and see that a fix is not far behind, even if that means giving us back the older app!

I am new to this forum.  I have had two Era 100 units for about seven months and they are my total investment in Sonos.  THANK GOD!  If I was more fully invested in Sonos products, like so many folks are, I would be very angry.  I have no functional Sonos Era 100s anymore… since the app update.  I truly can’t make it do a damn thing.  My units aren’t recognized and the set-up-a-new-system portion of the app just doesn’t get me there.  If I had the opportunity I might hurl the two of them through a Sonos headquarters window.  Count me as one more pissed off customer.

This new update is absolutely Horrible. They * this up Mitchell! 

If it isnt broke, dont fix it. The new app is *.

How can Sonos roll out an update like this as flawed and dysfunctional as this?? Can NOT even use our playlists, group zones together, or control volume. Does Sonos think we want to run their so called “fixes” that don’t work each time we want to use this??  They should start refunding people and if not sounds like a good time for a lawsuit!! For the amount their products cost this is completely unacceptable!! Have had this for 10 years. The last 2 years have been terrible!!!

It’s as if the app was designed by people who never use the app. When I choose which speakers I want, it always jumps back to wherever the hell it pleases. It’s a complete pain in the ass to locate my Spotify playlists.  And when I’ve tried to shut the music off it often just keeps playing.   And that’s just a few of the issues.

I’ve used Sonos since its first speaker offering in 2002. This is the first update that has completely broken functionality for me. Time to fix this or have a class action lawsuit on your hands, Sonos. 

I’m an iPhone user and Homepods are looking more appealing than ever. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I’ve used Sonos since its first speaker offering in 2002. This is the first update that has completely broken functionality for me. Time to fix this or have a class action lawsuit on your hands, Sonos. 

Quite impressive that you have been using their speaker products since before they even showed the prototypes at industry events, nevermind had products on the market for sale and shipping to customers.

The year the company was formed (2002) is not when they started selling products, it took another 2 1/2  years before there was a consumer product shipping.

Quite impressive that you have been using their speaker products since before they even showed the prototypes at industry events, nevermind had products on the market for sale and shipping to customers.

The year the company was formed (2002) is not when they started selling products, it took another 2 1/2  years before there was a consumer product shipping.

Quite impressive that you took the time to respond with a correction providing a distinction without difference to my point. Good for you. You win a cookie. I got the first speaker publicly released and things are broken with this latest app update.  Have a smart answer to that? 

They need to fire someones ass here for causing such a mess! Cant even control my system!!! Constant app crashes and freezes… so frustrating!!!  And ZERO response!!! Its like SONOS is in major financial trouble or something! I went from a total recommend to stay the hell away from Sonos.

Sonos! Please roll back this app. It is so bad I am actually considering switching companies and will not buy another speaker until you fix this. There are no words to describe how sh**** this app is. Was someone high when they built it? How many people approved this? They should be fired. Horrendous is not even enough to describe what a misstep this is. 

Userlevel 2

This is terrible...
Store ratings are at an all time low, but management doesn't recognize it?