Question

The new Sonos S2 App Sucks

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

248 replies

Userlevel 3

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

Same problem there. Seems universal. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Worst piece of commercial software I have seen released in some time (on any product).  Fire the head of your design team and anyone else who didn’t question the quality of the release….

Userlevel 5
Badge

Same here.  Spent the last few days figuring out how to add back my local library without spending big money to acquire a NAS.  Nothing seems to work anymore.  Finally was able to use my Mac as a NAS server temporarily.  However the local music playback was terrible. Stop and go all the time.  The music source is not visible on my IOS devices. The volume control has a lag of secs.  My Sonos nose became a piece of junk.  Thinking of moving to a network streaming device now. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Very disappointed with the updated app.  It takes forever to load (I have a fast internet connection) and then it drops off my speakers and have to re-apply them to the system.

ridiculous

Userlevel 4

There is no other way to put it, this new updated Sonos app for the Apple ecosystem just plain sucks! I’ve been with Sonos for about 8 years and this is the very worst app update. Use ability is horrible and not the least bit intuitive. Volume control is awkward and clunky, still haven’t figured out speaker selection, speakers shutting down randomly then coming back on and volume raising and lowering intermittently. I feel like a beta tester and I’m not happy with this buggy app. I didn’t ask for this app and I really don’t want it. It was automatically downloaded to take the place of the old one. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Steaming pile of dog shit. It literally could not be worse. I can no longer control my Sonos system. It’s not just the missing features or the debilitating lag, or the maimed speaker selection/configuration….its the worst UX design I have ever seen. The older S2 app had its challenges, namely lag in the track control, but I could at least control the speaker selection, EQ and volume very easily and efficiently. I have no clue what is going on with this new app. I can tell you one thing, your customers certainly did not ask for any of this.

It feels like Sonos may be subject to a major litigation for IP infringement and this app is their attempt to void the litigation and remain a going concern. It’s the only explanation I can come up with for this rush to market with this disaster. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Ditto with all the above comments and experience.  I have been with Sonos for about 10 years and now I am seriously thinking of moving away. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

t’s amazing how I can listen to my outdoor speakers (old speakers) using the S1 app on the same network and it works PERFECTLY!!! I’ve factory reset all my speakers, plugged in network cable, rebooted router, assigned private addresses to all speakers assigned to S2 app and nothing has changed. All I’ve done is wasted so much time. The app is complete garbage. Laggy, unresponsive to room changes, volume changes, song changes, etc. The S1 app responds instantly with every problem I’ve described the new app having. Didn’t Sonos want to try and make old speakers extinct a while back??? Unbelievable!!!!

Userlevel 3

I agree with the new app comments above. I have been using Sonos for years and this update has me rethinking my investment.

The iPhone app did an automatic update to the new app, which is a terrible idea in the first place. The application is slow to load, slow to respond and does not search my local music files. The application seems to be services-centric. Unfortunately, have music ripped to a NAS, which the new application can’t search. 

I was on with Sonos support today. The response I got back was uninstall and reinstall the app. I asked how that will fix the lack of service for my local library, the answer was well, you should really uninstall and reinstall. I guess what the person really means is “I don’t know.” Absolute bummer.  

Userlevel 5
Badge

I have never seen an update that breaks so many things and lack so much.  One couldn’t help to wonder what is going on in this company and whether anyone in this company care about the customers.  Time to move on. 

Userlevel 3

Worst upgrade of a system I have seen. The new app is slow, buggy, confusing.. Takes 2 mins to load a song (if I am lucky)... What is going on? I have invested a lot in this system and have 10 devices /speakers.. 

Userlevel 3

With each App upgrade my large Sonos system gets worse. The latest is an absolute joke, impossible to connect, speakers randomly on and off without command, impossible to change volume, the list is endless. The Sonos system is now almost unusable. Sonos please can you advise which other manufacturer I should now switch to now? I will not be buying any more of your products. They are the most expensive in the marketplace, they sound amazing and have great build quality but you seem to have a software department that employs chimpanzees not software engineers. Sort you act out or you will no longer have a business.

Userlevel 3

How can Sonos roll out an update like this as flawed and dysfunctional as this?? Can NOT even use our playlists, group zones together, or control volume. Does Sonos think we want to run their so called “fixes” that don’t work each time we want to use this??  They should start refunding people and if not sounds like a good time for a lawsuit!! For the amount their products cost this is completely unacceptable!! Have had this for 10 years. The last 2 years have been terrible!!!

Userlevel 2

Why is this update soooooo bad? I thought the last interface was not that great and was excited about this new update - but boy was I wrong. It is so much worse, by far. Sonos, please revamp this app and make it, at the very least, usable. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Worst upgrade of a system I have seen. The new app is slow, buggy, confusing.. Takes 2 mins to load a song (if I am lucky)... What is going on? I have invested a lot in this system and have 10 devices /speakers.. 

We also have 10 speakers/devices. As it only works with Wi-Fi, without the app they are expensive doorstops.

Userlevel 2

The new updated Sonos application is a complete and utter disaster. Unintuitive, confusing, terribly designed and almost unuseable, causing anger almost every time we try to use it. We now own a $5,000. boat anchor.

Come on, Sonos. You can do better than this!

Userlevel 3

Agree with all the comments!  This app sucks and all I want to know is what is Sonos going to do about it!  Can they be any more customer UNFOCUSED!!

Userlevel 2

I have Sonos equipment in 12 spots in my house and they have just completely ruined the experience with this new app.

I open the app in my STUDY as I have every morning for years and the app is defaulted to my DINING ROOM. I change it to study but the next day it’s back to dining room. I switch to study, try to find some music from Spotify (as I have effortlessly for years and now it’s extremely difficult to navigate). I select music only to see that it’s now playing in the dining room. 

This update is a complete disaster. If they had a competitor I’d be throwing everything Sonos in the trash and moving on. 

Userlevel 3

My experience exactly but keeps wanting to play in the basement.  Have to set and apply multiple times before it lets me play in my office.    And as soon as I pick music for some reason it clears out everything I have done and I have to start over!

can I go back to the old app????

Userlevel 3

Sonos has taken an app that worked well 85% of the time to one that is virtually unusable. I was looking at upgrading to the newest speakers (x8) but now considering dumping the system and going with something else if this isn’t resolved quickly.

Userlevel 1

About all we use this system for is Television & now it will not connect. Have used Sonos for years & never anything like this. Presently having to use Television speakers, which are not real good by anybody. Can Sonos not just give me back what we had. Must we “update”?

Userlevel 2

New Sonos app is the WORST!  Honestly the software version n general has been declining in recent years.  I have been a looong time Sonos user and advocate. Their aoftware used to be flawless. Worked extremely well every time.  Pre the latest release it was getting clunky.  Slow to load, slow to recognize my devices, devices coming and going in the software, and other issues with services.   It was a slow decline and brocade it happened over time ot was sort of tolerable.  

Then they release their latest version and it’s a complete botched piece of crap.  It looks really slick but the functionality is the absolute worst.  Not intuitive and not user friendly.  

I absolutely hate it. Keep the old one and just make it more reliable and robust!!!!

Userlevel 2

The best thing you can do is apologize and revert. It is so bad guys. Totally un-intuitive. Your focus groups, if you used any, totally failed you. I get totally frustrated with it every time. It used to be so easy to show off to friends when picking a new song to play. Now I still can’t figure it out. Just awful. 

Userlevel 1

What a joke. This app update is grounds for a class action. 

Userlevel 2

I am also very unhappy with the new app. The old S2 app worked so much better. I updated the app on my iPhone before I had heard how unhappy people were with the new app but once I tried it and it’s lack of so many features that were available with the old S2 app I tried to restore the old version to no avail. I intentionally did not update the version on my iPad and then today it automatically updated!

Sonos, if you want to continue being known as the best wireless speaker system, you need to fix this problem! Stop forcing updates that people don’t want. Stop creating updated software that has fewer features than the previous version.