Question

The new Sonos S2 App Sucks

Show first post

248 replies

Userlevel 1

I echo the above sentiments. SONOS - this app wasn’t great before, but now it’s borderline unusable.

I came back from vacation (two weeks), and have had nothing but problems with the update, which was forced on me without consent. 

First, the new interface is clunky and difficult to navigate. 

Second, it drops speaker pairs and often plays my selections to the wrong set (I have six speakers - one pair in three different rooms). 

Third, it no longer supports the local radio station app, and now wants me to subscribe to TuneIn Radio for $6 a month. No way I’m paying a subscription fee for local over-the-air radio. That’s complete BS. 

Fourth, the volume control is worthless. It just doesn’t work. Also, it takes at least two minutes for the app to update so I can pause or change playlists/selections. 

Get it together, SONOS. Your high-quality hardware deserves software that does not suck out loud.  

Absolute mess this new app.

Every time I open the app I have to turn on Bluetooth to "find" devices that are clearly visible.

Trying to switch between devices to control them is significantly more difficult, seemingly hit and miss in terms of finding the device to turn off.

Sonos, you just have to revamp this App as a matter of urgency - your entire suite of excellent hardware is being severely compromised by a software disaster. I can only assume you have released something that wasn't quite ready and thought it would be ok. I'm afraid it's not ok. 

The last app was simpler and worked. That's your template, now please get this resolved for the sake of your company.

Thanks. 

Badge

The app has turned my 7 speakers into bricks!  This is some bull * !!!  I need to find out how to side load the old app ASAP!

Sonos fix this, you know you can. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

This new app has turned the system into a useless piece of turd.   Interface is sloppily put together and often unusable.   Queuing music has now become an impossible task.   App often crashes for no reason.  Even something as simple as the volume control doesn’t work properly.   Honestly, is this some kind of joke?   

Worst piece of commercial software I have seen released in some time (on any product).  Fire the head of your design team and anyone else who didn’t question the quality of the release….

The app is an absolute disgrace!… it’s always been complete pants… I use Spotify and I’ve tried through the Spotify app and the Sonos app… don’t even think about opening them both together!!!…. You have no volume control any more, and it has a complete mind of its own changing tracks whenever it wants… I’m so pissed off after 8 years of at best questionable performance that I think I’ll just chuck my 4 x Play 3’s in the bin and spend some money on something that might actually work… they are not worth anything second hand as it seems everyone now knows how crap they are in a Sonus system…. Such a shame.

This new app is literally the biggest piece of crap i have ever tried to use. Nothing works, cuts out all the time, volume disappears for no reason, constantly saying error try again. DO BETTER. People have invested thousands of dollars into these speakers for thier homes and it’s impossible to control the music and volume when needed. I literally can’t express my absolute irritation of dealing this SONOS for years… hoping they would get better, but it’s the same * over and over again. DO BETTER.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 2

How can Sonos roll out an update like this as flawed and dysfunctional as this?? Can NOT even use our playlists, group zones together, or control volume. Does Sonos think we want to run their so called “fixes” that don’t work each time we want to use this??  They should start refunding people and if not sounds like a good time for a lawsuit!! For the amount their products cost this is completely unacceptable!! Have had this for 10 years. The last 2 years have been terrible!!!

I agree this needs a class action lawsuit.  This app and product has turned to complete crap.  

I have Sonos equipment in 12 spots in my house and they have just completely ruined the experience with this new app.

I open the app in my STUDY as I have every morning for years and the app is defaulted to my DINING ROOM. I change it to study but the next day it’s back to dining room. I switch to study, try to find some music from Spotify (as I have effortlessly for years and now it’s extremely difficult to navigate). I select music only to see that it’s now playing in the dining room. 

This update is a complete disaster. If they had a competitor I’d be throwing everything Sonos in the trash and moving on. 

It’s absolute garbage.  I agree with your comments.   

Userlevel 2

What a joke. This app update is grounds for a class action. 

I’m on board with class action.  

I was all ready to upgrade a few devices. New app is so bad I’m passing on it. I must own about 10 devices. 

if they can’t fix the app, I’ll fire sale all of them. 

y'all are losing customers by the day 

Sonos started off as an amazing system and now they have turned it into a total nightmare.  This new app being one of many missteps by the company over the years. Failure though progress? WTH?

This update is ridiculous. SONOS, your headphones look like a cool product. Would have bought a pair, but you chose to roll them out with a rushed POS update that has made my experience just suck. I have two homes full of your equipment. Drank the koolaid from your early days of thumb dial remotes. I feel utterly abused at this point. You’ve trapped your loyal customers in a torture chamber of zero usability. The clock is ticking and the value of your company will be falling if nothing continues to be done. It’s not nice to screw the people who have built your enterprise. 

They are a total disgrace. There is no way they will survive commercially after trashing their customer base. Unbelievable!

Is there a solid alternative system to Sonos?

Looking into a class action.

Will keep everyone posted.

Allow me to pile on here. Been a huge Sonos fan for years. I literally have $10,000+ is amps and speakers across multiple residences. THE NEW APP IS UNUSABLE. I can’t control the music without unbearable delays, the music starts in zones I haven't even activated, etc. Scrapping the old architecture was not a good move. If someone did not lose their job over this, I seriously question upper management. Too many users not to have accountability...or a fix yet!!!

Please give the old app back the new does not work and getting frustated.

I enjoy creating mega playlist and I can’t it in the app by just adding to the que.

Userlevel 1

I have been using Sonos for more than a decade.  I plan to sell my speakers and move on.  The changes were crippling and the customer service is worse than any I’ve encountered, including the airlines.  

I have been an outspoken Sonos fan for years, and have probably sold dozens of systems just based on recommending Sonos to so many friends.  But, this new app update has me seriously now considering selling my entire system and going with something else.  I also own 3 sports bars, and have Sonos throughout, in all 3 locations. Everyone is scratching their heads. No one can figure out the lag, the connectivity, the issues. Why? This new app doesn’t even resemble the old one, which was so great.  I just can no longer recommend Sonos, for home, or commercial anymore.  You take something that worked so well, and make such a foundational change, which is so entirely different, and so bad, I just have lost my trust in the brand.  I don’t get dramatic about things like this, and don’t want to overstate it, but I’ve never lost faith in something, this quickly, that I’ve been such a big fan of, for so many years.   I don’t suppose anyone who has influence at the decision-making level will read any of these complaints, much less act on them, but you are in danger of seriously damaging your brand, which was so, so strong.  You took something that was simple, and so user-friendly, and destroyed it.  (note- this is the first review I’ve ever left any product, service, ect. I HATE being negative, but this has been so disappointing)

I finally found the Alarm Settings on the iPhone App. Gear Icon > Manage (You almost don’t see its a link) and there it is, hidden away.

I have the S1 app in one location and the S2 in another. The S1 App is infinitely better. I got sonos speakers about 10 years ago. The first app was waaaay better than the current S2 and probably the S1 too. It has been a decade of "well the new app works, but is harder to use" with every release.The new S2 is a perfect example of "software development" that is actually we just want to change stuff to make it look different for the idiot kids that use it.

"All improvement requires change. However, all change us not improvement." - John Wooden.

Very unhappy with the update.  At this point I’d like to roll back to the previous version until they can put out a functional version.  How did this pass testing?  What a joke!  And where is the Sonos rep who should be reading these posts and assuring its customers that they are correcting the situation.  

Like they did here

So bad.  Incredibly slow with ridiculous lag times.  If you have a playlist with more than about 10 albums on it it just freezes and won’t do anything.  It’s like it has to somehow index every song and just blows its mind when it gets to 100 songs.

i used to be so pro Sonos but I will have to start warning people I know if someone doesn’t wake up and try to make a better UI