Skip to main content

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

Too bad.  For me it isn’t simply a matter of disappearing core features, which is bad, but more that the app has taken an overall leap backwards in terms of usability.  Can’t stand it.  

They said the same thing about the last app; I could show you reams of posts describing it in the exact same terms.  People just hate things that are different.  Then you get used to it and you find that the things which at first seemed “an overall leap backwards” are actually best described as unfamiliar and new.  Once it is learned, “an overall leap backwards” magically becomes the “intuitive, elegant, perfect” app everyone wants back when the next UI overhaul rolls around.

Sometimes.  As I said before, that is the perspective I normally bring to new versions, but this feels like a big miss.  I guess time will tell.  

Worse app Ever, poor service for loyal customers who have invested heavily for complete entertainment systems!

It feels like Mine has spent more time not working properly since the update than working, did i mention its the worst "upgrade" to an app ive ever used, less features and very poor ui, What sort of music app. makes it so difficult to create simple Playlist ques... absolute madness whoever signed off on this needs theor lumps checking

Barely functions at all.  Lagging all of the time.  Insists on including Den as my default no matter what.  Just a big downgrade in functionality 

All I would like to do is access my library.  Did I mention 20K files?!  Give us a break Management and give us the old App.  This is totally unacceptable for the amount of capital invested in these systems.  Seems like a Class Action on the horizon.  

I’ve never actually ever created an online account to just make a comment on a forum. Until now.  The new SONOS App is horrific.  Literally can’t use it.  Last night I finally got some speakers to work and the volume ran away and I literally couldn’t turn it off.  On top of so many UX issues.  Do better!

I have a Playbar and two Play Ones in a single, large room.  I no longer can get the Playbar and the Play Ones to sync to just TV sound. The Play Ones will play music while the Playbar does the TV.  When I try merging the trio to play all three to one sound they all shut off.  Thanks, SONOS, with my life as busy as it’s ever been this new App version takes something intended to ease the pains of the day into just another PITA to deal with.

The new app is horrible. Please revert to the original. It makes me want to ditch my whole system. 

Fully agree with the lack of ability to a) find the rooms buried in the app where various speakers and soundbars are in and then b) to get any of them to play together like previously. 

To be forced into this useless app rendering the entire house’s music system unusable is outrageous. 

Terrible.

The app fails to load about 2 out of every 3 times.

There’s NO MUTE BUTTON! Sound can only be pushed down to zero with the slide bar, making you manually seek out the previous level when you’re ready to listen again.

Podcasts used to be easy to find, but now some aren’t available at all.

Navigating back to the home page often requires multiple clicks.

The homepage has ads. Making us view ads in exchange for controlling our sound system is low. sUPDATE: thanks jgatie for the tip on turning off the ads! SoNos, you suck for defaulting to “ads active” and effectively hiding the off button.]

There’s a strange lag when adjusting volume. 

When multiple rooms are selected in the volume control, some rooms show at zero volume, even though they are clearly playing at the same volume as the other rooms. 

Previously saved configurations and folders disappeared. There should have been an option to continue with the previous or try the new layout. 

SoNos, this is truly sucky. 

Ads can be turned off.  See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/disable-promotional-emails-and-in-app-messages-from-sonos

The new app is basically useless, the UI is awful, non intuitive, and worst of all extremely slow or sometimes completely unresponsive, It’s pretty obvious the do no UAT or QA.  I just bypass the app completely and connect directly from spotify.  

The new app is faulty and not user friendly. Whoever designed it should be fired. It is not possible to edit any playlist. New songs cannot be directed to a particular existing playlist. I would recommend any potential Sonos buyer to forego purchasing Sonos products. 

Horses***!  Fire the designer now, roll back to the prior Ui, this is unacceptable.  Literally unusable.  Bring out the pitchforks!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

Same here. It’s ridiculous to say it’s a network problem when EVERYTHING ELSE on the network is working fine. THIS IS A SONOS PROBLEM.

The new app is the worst piece of crap I have ever encountered since apps were first introduced. No mute, no sleep timers, no volume pop up, crazy lag, volume doesn’t work properly, tune in radio taken off, can’t see what email address the Sonos system is associated with so you have to guess or factory reset the entire system. Its not user friendly and such a piece of junk I cannot believe they released it. The directors at Sonos should be fired and sent to work at Wayfair. Just burn the app and go back to the old mustard colored one. No one likes this awful piece of crap. It’s horrible and your app developers can head to wayfair with the directors. 

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos

Same! Sonos better issue an apology and roll back the old app until they figure out what is going on. Something is very wrong with Sonos. There is no quality check, subpar project management, etc. 

Is this another offshore project?

ROLL BACK THE APP!!

I'm speechless, who is accountable for this unacceptably disappointing piece of software?there is nothing making sense with it.

I'm literally afraid to launch it,3 times out of 4 it says that I don't have a Sonos system except changing mind after few minutes or when killed and started again.

I never know where I'm when navigating it,never finding easily what I need and when found it won't be of any use

There are serious UX problems and the all experience is so poor again to frightening out of using it even the most experienced users.

Uncontrollable, messy, unreliable, unintuitive I feel I'm back in the blackness of 90s software inconsistence.

Sonos just did a giant leap back of 20 years in quality, I'm sorry to say that but the all responsible team should be harshly questioned about this release.

New version of the app is definitely a step backwards. Please give us the option to go back to the old version or release a better version soon.

My system is now completely unusable. I have two speakers and this app switched back to the one in basement for every song. I start playing an album and the app looses the queue randomly. This update is absolutely terrible. I’ve lost trust in Sonos and will be looking for a new brand that cares about the quality of their product.

Good to see, that others also have the same issue. It was already terrible before and sometimes basic functions don’t work. When open the app it takes about 20s until the app finds the controller. Stop and play action or volume adjustments takes seconds or ends in a connection error. 

I spend two hours today reset ALL speakers, delete the app, restart my iPhone. After this, i connected just ONE Play 3 over LAN > Same effect. The Windows-App seems to do better running on a laptop (also connected to the same SSID / VLAN) 

I see a lot of threats where we should reset routers, restart the access points or other not really useful tipps. The point is: IF i had a problem on my network, i also had problems on ohter devices. The speakers also don’t have problems to play sound, no interruptions. The problem is CONTROL the speakers which makes the entire Sonos ecosystem almost unusable. 

Even worse: While having a non funtional app, the only what is reliably working are the ads!! Sonos: If you want that we buy more Sonos products, fix your apps!! I can’t understand why the app has such a good reputation in the app store. Something’s goning wrong there...

Today a was close to throw all my Sonos boxes out of the window. I was a fan of this products over 10 Years, but enough is enough. 

GOODBYE SONOS, YOU HAVE RUINED A GREAT PRODUCT!

I never complain about anything.  I was excited to buy an Arc to align with my brand new TV.  It made me download the new app which has made all my sonos non usable.  I try to sign in on the app and it links to the web, but does not update the app which does not allow me to add my products.  A horrible loop.  Then it only shows my 2 G router, where my old sonos was aligned to my 5 G, so it no longer sees it.  

Make your next update the old version until your UAT has solved these issues…...like many, I was a raving fan until today.  SENIOR MANAGEMENT….LISTEN

Sonos Sonos Sonos…WTH…you had a great app, easy, functional, intuitive. Now I am seriously considering going back to BOSE. The App functionality is wonky, laggy, redundant. Why? Where did sleep timer go? Why does it default to random rooms? Do the designers actually use the APP…don’t need all the graphics…just keep it simple…verge of losing a customer. All SHOW no GO! Pissed off! 

Can we please have the previous version back until you figure out how to fix your so called improved app? Least intuitive app I have ever had the displeasure of using! Ridiculous!!!

Bot only does the new App suck - each time they update the bApp isn sucks a bit more (usually) but this time they excelled as pissing users off. they can also shove their advertisements up where the sun doesn’t shine too - having paid $thousands for a product I don’t expect to be bombarded by unwanted spam about more products that I already know will piss me off.

so SONOS - in case you’re wondering every chance I get I tell people just how utterly annoyed I am at my decision to buy your product. I been complaining for years about the stupid * your geeks do with the software but your seem to be utterly nindifferent to any criticism and press on anyway. By the way, I bought a Bose sound bar last week and it was a genuine Plug in and Play with no dumb-arse App to fight with. BIG FAIL SONOS

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*