Question

The new Sonos S2 App Sucks

Show first post

248 replies

Same here. It constantly knocks me out of my active connection. It still plays music but I have to redo all the connections to change the song

Userlevel 2

Anyone know of an alternative to Sonos that we can jump over to?

If I can’t interface with otherwise quality equipment, what’s the point? I’m more than happy to yank the ten Sonos amps out of my AV rack and bid this company good riddance. They failed us spectacularly here.

Update  S U C K S.  

Not intuitive at all.   Apparently just a dead speaker icon left of volume level.    Poor use of real estate.    Lousy interface.   Anyone at Sonos actually use this before pushing out?

Userlevel 1

Can’t believe Sonos went from my favorite app to my least favorite overnight. I have recommended this system to so many people and we are all upset with this new upgrade. It’s the worst upgrade I’ve ever seen. Please switch back to the old app until you figure out all the things that are wrong with new one. 

Why take a fairly straightforward app meant to quickly find and play music and make it confusing, cluttered, and counterintuitive? I do not know. But I suppose the designers of this new interface had their reasons. After using all the previous versions of this app all day for years, I’m rushing to find an alternative that doesn’t make me hunt and scroll and swipe to find what used to be instantly findable. What an absolute piece of garbage. 

I must have done something horribly wrong to have to deal with this app!

WTF was SONOS thinking!!!   I never seen an app that worked so good replaced with the worst ever. If I had not spent about 5 grand on my system I would get rid of it. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs fired!!!  

I’m so frustrated with this App update I wish I could switch speakers.  The App went backwards 20 years.

The new app is abominable!! Asks u to sign in every time you click some link hoping and praying to find your various speaker. Such * to suffer through. The absolute worst. I hate SONOS

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Given the robust negative reaction by its customers what is SONOS doing to rectify it NOW?  During a nice holiday weekend where I planned to relax, watch some movies I hadn’t the time to previously, I could not do so using the expensive SONOS equipment in the room.  The TV volume was all I could rely on and that was not the experience I hoped for.  Reading the above comments it sounds like calling customer service will put you into a very long queue on hold, and without a fix should they answer.  Please, SONOS, ask for a mea culpa, and re-push the prior version until the time the new one works flawlessly!

Sonos this app Update SUCKS and the negative response as you can see is spreading like WILD FIRE.  There are so many problems and issues I cant even begin to write them all but if you read through the countless messages bashing the new update you will figure them out.  You need to pull back this update until you can figure out how to fix all the BS built into it. PLEASE bring back the last version so we can continue to enjoy the $$$$ we have invested in your products and stop torturing us with this Beta BS new app update.  

Userlevel 2

This update is a complete disaster. If they had a competitor I’d be throwing everything Sonos in the trash and moving on. 

They do - it’s called Wiim.  It seems that there is no airplay support though. It’s also a lot less expensive.

The new Sonos app has completely ruined my $2000 investment planned for enjoying surround sound stereo. 

I cannot install the Arc, the Sub and one of my two Sonos One speakers. I have tried installing them using the Boost, wirelessly as well as with hard wire. Nothing.  I’ve deleted apps and reinstalled.  I’ve reset the speakers.  Nothing.

The Arc is attached to the TV and it works as an external TV speaker, but that is all. The other speakers are dead weight and a waste of money at this point. 

Why on earth would Sonos release an app that is useless?  Don’t you have a UAT for testing?  Why would anyone buy more speakers or the new headphones?  I surely would not. 

The new app is destroying your company. Sales will plummet until you can get all of the speaker already sold working.

That should be priority ONE. Fix the app, please. 

Userlevel 1

I signed in to join my voice to this.  I have been a die hard Sonos fan for years.  We have eight speakers. I brag about the great experience to friends and family.  And now...this app is so very bad I am thinking of dropping the whole system and doing something else.  Wonderful hardware.  Wonderful speakers.  Absolutely terrible app.

Seriously, if any senior executives ever read this - this is a disaster of monumental proportions.  This is thenrare business decision that is so bad it might just sink your company.  It really is that bad.

Userlevel 3

Has anyone tried the Wiim system mentioned in the thread above. Be interested to know if it’s good. Need to replace my Sonos with something else as it’s just for decoration only since the new app was released. 

Sucks!

I was completely baffled and appalled by the quality of the latest UI version of Sonos S. Fortunatel, for Android, I have found on one of this type of disgruntled threads a workaround: using APKMirror (installer and site), I managed to reinstall the previous version of S2, the one that still resembles an actual app. Now I just avoid updating the app again, like the plague. Had to disable auto updates as well in Google Playstore because of this.

I was completely baffled and appalled by the quality of the latest UI version of Sonos S. Fortunatel, for Android, I have found on one of this type of disgruntled threads a workaround: using APKMirror (installer and site), I managed to reinstall the previous version of S2, the one that still resembles an actual app. Now I just avoid updating the app again, like the plague. Had to disable auto updates as well in Google Playstore because of this.

Need to find for iPhone as I am still very disgruntled  with this BS update.  

Who has time for this bs! Where the heck are my playlists (not that they will play!) how do you create a playlist. Its horrible, horrible, horrible

Absolutely terrible. I work in software product management, so I generally try to exercise patience when new versions come out, but this is an abomination.  We are in the process of moving and due to upgrade most of our Sonos hardware.  This software UX is so bad, we’re considering moving on to an alternative. Has Sonos acknowledged the issue?  They really ought to rollback to a the prior version and try again.

I’ve been a Sonos user since the beginning. Even after they bricked old equipment, I bought new equipment and remained a loyal customer. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve turned onto the company over the years. This new app is terrible! Eliminating access to ‘my library’ is infuriating! That is the main function I want from the service. Fix this now!! 

I’ve been a Sonos user since the beginning. Even after they bricked old equipment, I bought new equipment and remained a loyal customer. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve turned onto the company over the years. This new app is terrible! Eliminating access to ‘my library’ is infuriating! That is the main function I want from the service. Fix this now!! 

Local library access has not been eliminated.  They removed support for a (supposedly) insecure sharing protocol (SMB v1).  If you can change your storage device to not use SMB v1, you can get access to your library again. 

Absolutely terrible. I work in software product management, so I generally try to exercise patience when new version come out, but this is an abomination.  We are in the process of moving and due to upgrade most of our Sonos hardware.  This software UX is so bad, we’re considering moving on to an alternative. Has Sonos acknowledged the issue?  They really ought to rollback to a the prior version and try again.

Sonos has acknowledge the issues, and have published expected fix dates for several of the missing features. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I wouldn’t count on any rollback, because the new app is required for the headphones due to hit the streets June 5, and Sonos isn’t likely to miss that deadline. 

Absolutely terrible. I work in software product management, so I generally try to exercise patience when new versions come out, but this is an abomination.  We are in the process of moving and due to upgrade most of our Sonos hardware.  This software UX is so bad, we’re considering moving on to an alternative. Has Sonos acknowledged the issue?  They really ought to rollback to a the prior version and try again.

Sonos has acknowledge the issues, and have published expected fix dates for several of the missing features. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I wouldn’t count on any rollback, because the new app is required for the headphones due to hit the streets June 5, and Sonos isn’t likely to miss that deadline. 

Too bad.  For me it isn’t simply a matter of disappearing core features, which is bad, but more that the app has taken an overall leap backwards in terms of usability.  Can’t stand it.  

Too bad.  For me it isn’t simply a matter of disappearing core features, which is bad, but more that the app has taken an overall leap backwards in terms of usability.  Can’t stand it.  

They said the same thing about the last app; I could show you reams of posts describing it in the exact same terms.  People just hate things that are different.  Then you get used to it and you find that the things which at first seemed “an overall leap backwards” are actually best described as unfamiliar and new.  Once it is learned, “an overall leap backwards” magically becomes the “intuitive, elegant, perfect” app everyone wants back when the next UI overhaul rolls around.