Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Need to fix the app. 

Alphabetical access to your music library is a critical function

search results should include music library

i I mean seriously - dropping that functionality is absurd and will lead me to another solution. Sonos was a really good product, let’s hope this isn’t some dastardly master plan, but rather just an inept rollout of new software

This is the gentle cattle prod towards subscription fees and ONLY subscription fees. I will buy a whole new sound system 

Can somebody confirm what I have experienced and I read here - that the new app does not include tracks from my own library in its search.  I have to go get the music by scrolling through the menus

Can somebody confirm what I have experienced and I read here - that the new app does not include tracks from my own library in its search.  I have to go get the music by scrolling through the menus

Indeed, at the moment the search option does not include the local music library.

Most of us does not have access to local library. It returns an error message. 

What a pile of poop :(

With new Sonos do not have access to my music on computer hard drive. Was fine before.

This is the gentle cattle prod towards subscription fees and ONLY subscription fees. I will buy a whole new sound system 

Quite agree.
I’m a musician and despise Spotify and all the streamers who take all the cash and don’t pay the artists. Have already bought an alternative (Naim) and my Sonos is on eBay. Fukkem.

I now eventually have regained access to my music library after sharing my music folder, but access is far harder than under the previous app.

As a generalisation, it is probably true that the more knowledgeable and passionate you are about music, the more likely you are to curate your own music library, rather than relying on streaming apps. (This is not to deny that there may be some knowledgeable and passionate music lovers who do rely only on streaming). We are the people that Sonos’ app “upgrade” has harmed. We are also the people to whom those less knowledgeable and passionate turn for advice. Even if Sonos believes that the future lies with streaming apps, it will not survive unless it meets the needs of those who have their own music libraries, because it will not be taken seriously by the group that cares most. 

I suspect what you say is true, although am surprised by how many users (particularly in the Sonos subreddit) fail to understand the need for a local library. To me, and you I believe, it is obvious. I would have thought the speed of access and reliability of a local music source would be enough, before you start getting into curation and the lack of availability of swathes of music on streaming services. I love buying old, cheap CDs on ebay, ripping them, and enjoying the music. Often the albums aren’t available through streaming.

And I note that the competition (Wiim, Bluesound, Cambridge Audio, Naim) all support local libraries - it’s just a standard feature - nothing fancy.

Anyway, hopefully all sorted mid-June.

The new Sonos app is awful. Spent many hours trying to access my music library which for years has worked flawlessly, Finally put the music library on my PC's drive and again after hours of effort was able to access it. The iphone app still doesn't work. Unable to see songs in a playlist, etc. You need to fix this app immediately or bring back a functional prior edition. BTW I own numerous Sonos devices and recently put architectrual speakers with Sonos amp in all rooms, My older equipment on the S1 app works fine.

The new Sonos app is a disaster. I have spent hours trying to find my music library - but no luck. I wonder what other products are out there? I am inclined to give Sonos up altogether. A pity after so many years of happy usage.

I read somewhere in this thread that there was going to be an update to fix the issues from the last update today (5/21), but as of 4:30 eastern time this is not the case. 

I read that too. But it looks like Sonos prefers us to use streaming sites rather than our own (very expensive!) music libraries. I forgot to mention that one of my speakers dropped off the system entirely. Can’t get it back, even after factory reboot.

I have been unable to access my computer based music library since updating my controller 

I was in contact with Sonos help yesterday who told me that this was a known problem that the “techies” were trying to fix !?

I am running my Sonos on a MacBook Pro. OS sonoma 14.4.1

has anybody else been told this, I cannot see any other information about this problem 

Is there a way around the Sonos app to play music on the Sonos One from a Synology music library?

My problem is all my down loaded music has disappeared from my Sonos when I tried to do the up date, I have tried to reinstall but still can't get my music into sonos

So Sonos has gone  down the enshitification route and decided to Shaft their long serving customers to make more money , I used to be able to turn on my system chose some music from my library and play it but clearly no more and they want to sell me  £500 headphone they can go and boil their heads , I will go back to blue tooth and my UE Roll the sound may not be quite as good but I can listen to the music I have already paid for .

I have a Synology NAS with my Music Library (13.8K tracks, all FLAC, very obsessively tagged and Album Arted over about 15 happy years with Sonos) on it.  The Library contains 167 Compilation albums with some 3.6K tracks. 

Compilation albums have the Album Artist listed as Various Artists and each track has its own Artist.  Regular albums have the headline artist in both Album Artist and Contributing Artist fields, so the headline artists appear in both the Album Artist and Contributing Artist lists in the Sonos app, but artists who are only on Compilations only appear in the CA list.

It has always frustrated me that there has never been a Search facility for the CAs despite the fact that when the Library is indexed the CA list is always populated, which is indicated by the fact that, when you toggle the “View Contributing Artists” switch in the Music Library menu the CA list appears immediately without having to re-index.

I have, since the May 7 ambush, multiple versions of the Controller running as follows:-

Windows 10 PC  and Android Controllers 1-3, V16.1, build 78151030

Android Controller 4, V80.01.07-release+20240517 etc

And the Web App

For the sake of completeness, although I don’t think it is relevant to this discussion, all 6 of my speakers are on V78.1-52020.

With these three different systems running, some interesting differences have emerged which indicate that changes are being made in the code and that perhaps there is an opportunity while the big re-work is going on to influence the way the search process works.  Listing the variations may take a while, so bear with me please… I will use ABBA as an example because they appear at the top of the Artists list as I have two albums where they are the Album Artist and also some way down on the CA list as one of their tracks is on a compilation album and is tagged with them as the CA.

In V16.1 tapping on ABBA in the Artists list brings up the two Albums where they are the Album Artist, so the record is linked only to the Album Artist field in the Songs table.

In the CA list, tapping on them brings up their two albums plus the compilation album, so the Artists record in this list links to both the Album Artist and CA fields in the Songs table.  

In V80.x there is only one Artists list and no CA list.  It contains only those whose names appear in the Album Artist field of the Albums list. Tapping on ABBA brings up only their two albums, so here the Artists field is only linking to the Album Artist field in the Songs table. 

In the Web App there is only an Artists list.  However, that list contains both Album Artists and CAs and tapping on an Artist brings up all the albums on which they appear in either the Album or the Contributing Artist fields.  This is the same linkage as in the CA list in V16.1 and is a good outcome as it shows every Song attributed to the Artist although it would be nice to be able to search on it. 

The structure in V80.x is a backward step as the Artists list excludes those who only appear as CAs in Compilations; the only way to find them is to scroll through the Songs listing which does show the Artist for each track, but good luck with that when there are many thousands of tracks to scroll through.

At the moment the Search facility does not apply to the Music Library in either V80.x or the Web App, which appear to be the applications with a future.  My suggestions to the programmers who must be working towards the promised re-introduction of library search in July are:-

1  Have an Artists listing, as in both 16.1 and the Web App, which includes ALL artists.  Then have the option of selecting whether to show CAs as in 16.1 but don’t just disappear the CAs as in 80.x so you can’t find them anywhere except by doom-scrolling through the Songs list.

2  And this is the big one - when you re-code the Search function using the comprehensive list in 1 above, set it to match either the Contributing Artist field or the Album Artist field so you return all the Songs tagged to that Artist, compilation or not.  

You have all the basics for an effective Search function in the existing code, built up over the last 20-odd years of developing the Sonos controller app, but they have never quite jelled as they could have in this aspect.  When you bring back Search for local Libraries as has been promised, making these relatively minor adjustments would go a long way towards making us local library dinosaurs happy by improving our music listening experience.

Oh, and just give us our Album Art back while you’re at it!

Any thoughts on this topic from you other dinosaurs?

I can add my music library from my NAS on Mac and MacBook Air running Sonoma 14.5. But the very next day it is gone. I can add it again, but the next day… 

Update re SMBv2

I have updated my Buffalo Nas to SMBv2 using this article https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=24630.0
The latest App can now see under Your Sources my Music Library, this is what I expected to happen. However this change has caused another issue (which I think is related somehow).

The issue is I cannot add my NAS Music into the new app using a Mapped Network Drive, as 

a) I am unable to add a mapped network drive on the PC, I can map drives using the CMD prompt.
B) I cannot see any devices in the left hand explorer pane under network, I can however see all the media devices in the view panel, including the NAS, however they are seen as Twonky devices, Have I tweeked something on the NAS to make this so, I dont know.

I can connect directly to the NAS by putting the path into the Explorer window and I can access all the folders that are on the NAS.

Any help would be more than welcome

hate the new app, rolled back to the previous one in frustration

Agree...would love to do the same. What’s the process to roll back to the prior version of the App in iOS?

This is how I feel about the new app.  I used to enjoy browsing through my local music library, selecting songs, albums, artists to add to my queue, and then tweaking (some might say curating) the queue and then, if I really liked the results, creating a playlist from the queue.  Now?...I have to scroll endlessly through the thousands of songs and hundreds of artists and albums in my library to find the ones that I want without the benefit of the A-Z slider on the right to jump through the list.  And, then, after all of that, I can only play a single selection without the ability to add them to a queue. That is absolutely infuriating!  Now, I am forced to play a single song at time in some cases.  Ridiculous!  What is modern about an app that doesn't let you search and curate your music how you want.  I have more music management features on my cheap blue tooth speakers.  They have made it so, so hard for me to play and enjoy my own music.  They have turned this into a process that I just dread.  Way to go!

Fully agree. I though I was going mad but seems this app has had no user road testing by the developers. I don’t stream and own my own music. 

I now see the music library (arrived about 2 hours after new app installed) but I can’t find how to update music library from NAS drive. I add songs almost daily to the NAS Drive.

No A-Z search on artists or songs or albums like the old app had - so scroll through hundreds and then scroll gets  jammed as too many scrolls! Can only really play the “A”s. 

Can’t seem to ad songs to playlist. 

I noticed that it seems to only pick up contributing artist not album artist so many artists data have gone and appear as ”unknown”. the old app and indeed the S1 controller found artist names from either contributing or album artist. 

Ironically I’ve got the old app for one S1 device and that works fine for that one device. I wish the new app was like that. 

Can a large company with expensive kit have got it so wrong?  

I’ve sang Sonos praises to any friends who visit but will warn them off now. I wont be buying any more now. 

To listen to music now I have to play on my laptop using crappy laptop speakers! Not my Sonos system. 

I now see the music library (arrived about 2 hours after new app installed) but I can’t find how to update music library from NAS drive. I add songs almost daily to the NAS Drive.

You can re-index the folder from a pc or laptop at this time. Install the S2 app, connect to your NAS and go to Manage. There you can re-index the folders.

It works for me, the only thing is now that I can’t play folder within a folder. Like I have this CD collection “The Best Of...” with 4 folders (cd’s) in it. In the good old days I could choose the folder “The Best of...” and play or shuffle it. It played all folders beneath it. That’s gone at the moment. I hate this new app. 

I’m another who is frustrated with the new app. 

I use an iPhone and cannot find a way to locate my music library.

Sonos - this isn’t acceptable and please change this asap.

Why does my album art in my local library not show in a Sonos playlist of a mix of Qobuz and local tracks?  The album art shows when exploring my local library, but not when the same album is in a Sonos playlist.

The album art does show in the S2 (orange) app.

Re-installed Android v80.01.07 and my local library experience continues to be … challenged.

• I don’t see album art anywhere in the app
  • Sonos Favorites (local library music) are “grayed out”: not tappable, no album art
  • Sonos Favorites (streaming music) work okay

Others on the new Android app please let me know if you are seeing the same with local library music.

For reference, all of the above work okay on the new iOS app.