Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

755 replies

Userlevel 1

The May 2024 Sonos App update is a disaster. 1. For many of my albums it will not allow playing. Strangely, it shows up with ALL for an artist, and I can play that. But 6 Enya or Angela Hewitt albums in a row is not wanted. 2. No numbers associated with volume. Very aggravating. 3. Cannot easily put a favourite on the front screen - at least they won’t work. How could Sonos release, at least for Mac, such a horrible, glitchy and downgraded app and experience.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does anybody know if Sonos is going to restore our access to I-Tunes libraries? The reps are so vague and unhelpful.  It took over an hour to get through to Sonos on May 13, as I'm sure everyone is calling on to complain about this crappy update.

Userlevel 1

It's completely unclear to me how a large company could screw up an app release this badly. You have removed substantial amounts of functionality and access to music. Who asked you to do this? What about the users who have thousands of dollars of Sonos equipment and now you're acting as if it doesn't matter that we can't play any of our own music from our own network servers? It's amateur hour at Sonos.

Userlevel 1

Ditto with everyone else - cannot access any music.  Tried installing app from their website on a different computer but with the same result. I searched on the company technical help page but there is no facility to free text a problem with a technician. Considering the price of their products their assistance with problems is appalling. Like the rest of you I can only wait to see if my music folders reappear, or they realise they have dropped a large bo””ock and repair the damage pronto. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yet another unhappy Customer. I have invested well over $20K (US) in Sonos over the many years. I was fine replacing 6 original Play 5s at discounted prices because the new speakers were even better. I only use My Music Library stored on My Mac as a source for My extensive system (Personal and Business). I am currently on hold for Sonos Tech support….if that fails, I will try the SonoPhone App.

I have recommended Sonos to countless Friends and Clients...this is an embarrassing unprofessional App update.  I would return to a completely satisfied Customer if the Old App came back...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Total rubbish. How do I get an older version of the app on Android back?

I have downloaded earlier SONOS version from Download Sonos APKs for Android - APKMirror. Uninstalled May 7 version, installed March 2024 version. Also make sure to uncheck Auto-update in Google play SONOS app otherwise the black icon will be back next morning. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Another way is to restore your Android phone from backup if you did backups. Just select Apps in backup options, so your other data will not be affected.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

WARNING!  

After 2 hours and 22 minutes with a tier 1 tech-no resolution. Escalated to tier 2-not currently available-will email Me with call back time.

So, I downloaded the $2.99 SonoPhone App. It has functionality to add and manipulate all My Library Playlists, etc. BUT! I updated My speakers at the request of Sonos this Morning (5/14). This took 3 tries to get all the Speakers updated. 

Since that update, the Sonos link to My Music library store on My iMac Studio was severed. I can no longer play any Music from My Music Library even when using the old App on a back iPad I have. Same goes for the SonoPhone App-it can add the Playlists, etc. but they are in that unplayable .m4a format. 

This is rough, My whole House is Sonos as well as My Business-7 large Subs, Arc, Beam, Playbar, Amp, 2 Era 300s, Era 100, and countless more 3s and 1s. And, I can currently only play Radio Stations?!?! 

Any Lawyers on here?

Class Action?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In case it is useful, after waiting on hold this morning for 70 minutes, a pleasant Sonos tech support rep told me after checking that they plan to push out a fix for this mid-June.  She said this hasn’t even been the main problem being reported with this disastrous new app, also mentioning failures to connect new equipment and initiate new services.  She even told me that her own music library is now inaccessible so she’s waiting alongside the rest of us.

I hope some of you might find my update about this disastrous launch useful and if you find a workaround (excluding third-party apps) please leave it here! 

Userlevel 1

Same problem for me too. The new app has just made £1000 worth of equipment unusable. Would anyone like to buy some really dumb smart speakers?

Diese App bzw die Upgrades haben alles kaputt gemacht. Playlists und vor allem alle Links zu lokalen Musikbibliotheken sind nicht mehr nutzbar.

Welcher Programmierer denkt sich so etwas aus und wann gibt es eine korrektur?

Moderator Note - Translation by Google:

This app or the upgrades broke everything. Playlists and especially all links to local music libraries are no longer usable.

Which programmer thinks of something like this and when will there be a correction?

Hi, I have the same problem, sadly updated the app automatically and now no access to my music library on a server.  Have waited ages and l stilno access to music server and unable to work out how to roll back to previous version.  Sonos tech support needs to resolve the issue. 

Julian 

Userlevel 2

Adding a comment to express extensive customer dissatisfaction. I have thousands of local music files that I used in the library feature. Not everyone wants to listen to streaming music where you are forced to listen to some stuff an algorithm selects. Please allow my to access my library and simplify the app.

Hey all, I just installed the Sonos controller app on my Windows 11 PC, as I was trying to add my music folder to the Sonos library under “Music Library Settings”, the message “Unable to add the shared folder xxx to your music library  (913)” popped up.

Could anyone help explain what’s this about?

Thanks!

Have suffered the same problems since the App update as so many other posts.

Eventually with the assistance of Sonos technical help, have my system back up and running, it took nearly 2 hours over the phone to get it sorted. I knew there were bigger issues as the wait time to speak to Sonos was over 2 hours, in the past it's been about 5 minutes!

Lots of problems and connectivity issues and all since the App update.

Have lost the ability to use BBC radio stations which we used a lot, hopefully a fix will be updated soon for all these issues. Sonos is still a brilliant product and it's such a shame they have developed this updated application without proper testing before releasing it on the wider forum.

Sonos, sort this or you will have a mass loss of users, currently the service is far from what it was previously. 

After updating Sonos app on ios music from my laptop no longer plays I can find it but won’t play I used the app on the laptop as a workaround but this has now updated and no longer working I will never purchase a Sonos product ever again I am currently connecting my laptop to a fender amp via Bluetooth and using iTunes to play music 

System is bricked. Updated controller won’t find existing library or allow me to recreate it, Playlists on app give ‘some kind of error’ or something.

This is moronic.

Is there anyway Sonos can refund me for my speakers as since the new update I can no longer use them for what I bought them for. I.e play my music I have saved on my hard drive. I am very dissapointed, set up folders of favourites etc that are now useless. Had my whole record collection converted to music files in folders, now sonos no longer finds this data. I have no use for my sonos speakers without this connection. I dont want to use spotify or other streaming app. Will be looking into getting a new system that hopefully I can control and connects to my hard drive on my network, that wont be pandering to the streaming companies whims. 

Badge

Den Musikordner erneut die Freigabe für Sonus unter Windows geben! 

Thanks but I have only ever had tha app on my phone, so this does not really help. Tried downloading the app on my laptop, but keeps just offering my phone as the only device to download the app. So cant even start working oy how to do that. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Den Musikordner erneut die Freigabe für Sonus unter Windows geben! 

Now do it for Mac OS Bitte...

Userlevel 1

My main reason for purchasing Sonos speakers was in order to listen to my Apple music library anywhere in the house, particularly for my mother once she became confined to bed. Having just been prompted to update the desktop app, I find that the Music Library has disappeared and the app will no longer allow me to add it, giving the following message: Unable to add the shared folder “//Mac-Pro-2/Music” to your Music Library (913).

I cannot imagine why Sonos should have decided to remove this simple facility and I will never again recommend your products to anyone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

After the latest update this week, I have no music library.  When I try to add, I get an error 913- music library unable to set-up sharing.

I have been reading this thread and I do not understand how to change to SMB2 on my MAC.  I am running Monterey 12.7.4.

If I were able to add this, would I be able to access my music library from the MAC?

Currently, I have no access to my music library/[playlists.  They are not displayed anywhere in the SONOS app on Iphone or MAC.

Does anyone have any ideas?  At least Amazon is currently playing and seems stable.  This led to me another issue with new app.  I click on play when I selected but then you have to actually open the window with the song displaying and hit play once again.

I love my SONOS speakers and all was well until this last update.  Please revert back to old.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In My case, I it appears I have found an inelegant but functional work around. 

I signed up for Apple Music Service and merged My iTunes Library with Apple Music when asked during setup. 

Initially many of My songs were missing-however, overnight, they appear to have been merged and are playable. 

So, Sonos still can not access My iTunes Library directly, but at least I can play them using the Apple Music Service with Sonos. Cost is $10.99/Month.

Still not happy...please fix this...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Considering it takes almost 2 hours to talk over the phone to a technician at Sonos, I imagine there's a big boatload of pissed off Sonos customers out there.