Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

Stop backpedaling. You are continuously making snide remarks toward the very real experiences others are having when it comes to the sub-par performance of the app, and making them sound like they're in the wrong, and blowing everything out of proportion. You did the same here, underhandedly: “I rest my case on the escalating levels of hyperbole and melodrama.”

Sure… Sonos may eventually fix the issues at hand, but it doesn't discount the fact that they f*cked this rollout up royally for a good portion of their most loyal customers who had to create accounts out here to see what the h*ll is going on, and why all their equipment stopped working all of a sudden.

So if you have no constructive solutions to offer on how to get the app to magically start working again like it did before this update, then stop being a shill and blaming everyone else for “blowing everything out of proportion”, because apparently everything works great on your end, but not for anyone else.

No, I won't stop posting.  If you feel my posts are breaking some sort of rule, I suggest you talk to the mods.  Until then, I'll be calling out those who use Stockholm syndrome accusations in a thread about a faulty audio app as yes, blowing things out of proportion. 

Stop backpedaling. You are continuously making snide remarks toward the very real experiences others are having when it comes to the sub-par performance of the app, and making them sound like they're in the wrong, and blowing everything out of proportion. You did the same here, underhandedly: “I rest my case on the escalating levels of hyperbole and melodrama.”

Sure… Sonos may eventually fix the issues at hand, but it doesn't discount the fact that they f*cked this rollout up royally for a good portion of their most loyal customers who had to create accounts out here to see what the h*ll is going on, and why all their equipment stopped working all of a sudden.

So if you have no constructive solutions to offer on how to get the app to magically start working again like it did before this update, then stop being a shill and blaming everyone else for “blowing everything out of proportion”, because apparently everything works great on your end, but not for anyone else.

No, I won't stop posting.  If you feel my posts are breaking some sort of rule, I suggest you talk to the mods.  Until then, I'll be calling out those who use Stockholm syndrome accusations in a thread about a faulty audio app as yes, blowing things out of proportion. 

Your sheer blindness/loyalty to the brand while throwing everyone else under the bus for claiming that they are blowing things out of proportion will just never cease to amaze me. Good luck with that.

Please, just let me downgrade, so I can like Sonos again.  The new app is simply embarrassingly bad.

Sort it out, re-release when ready, but don’t punish customers like me who were with you in the early days.

i’m rethinking Sonos in general, but have a rather large investment.

Any chance the squabbling could stop please?

We're all grown ups. Let's behave like it. 

I'm personally just here to see if there is any progress with the app. 

My niece has been unable to connect to one of her speakers for over a month now (‘Something went wrong.’). She's not a Sonos superfan and generally listens to a speaker at a time in its pretty permanent location. She has a couple of Play Ones and was going to add a new Roam 2 to her system.

She went out and bought a little Bose Bluetooth speaker at the weekend instead.

Has anyone noticed that the Amazon ratings for all Sonos products has mostly been 1 star since the update.  This will impact sales for some time.

No it won’t. It would take months for low ratings to reduce the overall star ratings, by which time the app will be fixed and the disgruntlement will be ended. For now buyers will see the following ratings and decide from that:

Sonos Five   4.6*
Era 100   4.4*
Era 300   4.4*

Arc   4.7*
Sub Gen 3   4.8*
Beam Gen 2   4.6*

Roam SL   4.4*

etc

THE SOLUTION:

Disable 5ghz in your router settings. It will resolve reliability, connection and speed issues.

THE SOLUTION:

Disable 5ghz in your router settings. It will resolve reliability, connection and speed issues.

Strange im Running my Sonos gear only on the 5 ghz and no Problems.

Era100 Beam2 and a Roam. 

Strange im Running my Sonos gear only on the 5 ghz and no Problems.

Some routers bridge the two bands, so Sonos has no trouble being seen on both bands.  Others do not. 

New app is terrible! Old app was fine.

I need the app to open in less than 2 minutes!

I need the app to stop giving me an error when it finally does open! “App isn’t responding” Duh! If I select wait, it comes on. 

I need the app to stop closing when I come back to it on my phone after using another app! Same error as above!

I need to not have to uninstall and reinstall the app to get it to work for the day!

I need the app to not remove my system! 

I’m outraged! Shame on Sonos!

My experience 24 hours into the new app.

When I read up that sleep timers and “play next” as well as “add to end of queue” had been implemented last week I decided to take a risky plunge into the unknown. I was not happy when the new app launched and was able to revert to v16 for about a month.

From my experience of the last 24 hours I thought I’d share my initial feedback. 

I actually like the new layout. Once you figure out if its a swipe or a tap its quite intuitive to get most things done from that one screen.

I would note that I’m had some lag when opening the app. When pausing tracks/when changing volume. Some drop outs when adding another room to an already playing Tidal stream. Nothing, thankfully, system breaking.

I’ve used Plex, Tidal, Global player radio, Tune In and Sonos Radio reasonably trouble free bar the aforementioned glitches.

My current wishlist would go something like this:

• Local library search.
  • Ability to fully edit the queue (remove/drag and drop to rearrange etc).
  • Volume number on the “now playing” screen. Both the Mini and full page player.
  • The ability to order the categories in the Sonos Favourites show (like you can on the home screen).
  • Some ability to sort playlists/songs/albums within favourties when you click the view all button.
  • View artist, view album options in the 3 dot menu of the now playing screen would be useful. Although the ability to search for that artist from that menu is actually kind of neat.

I am concerned that Sonos will not exist in a few months/years due to this complete mess.  Their strength is their installed base- few have both Sonos and Bose systems.  Once someone leaves Sonos to another system, they will never come back.  If this is a 7-8% departure then Sonos can recover.  If the departure is in the 20-25+% range then corporate meltdown is next.

Sonos will definitely still be here in a few months and it is also unlikely that they will cease to exist in a few years either.

They will have a few lessons to learn from this attempt to extend their market to grow their business.

Let’s not ignore the fact that Sonos has evolved from a speaker company focused on local music, adding TV Surround Sound, then Streaming Services, more recently portable speakers and now headphones. Sorry if I have the order wrong and for progressions that I have missed but I think you get the picture.

The whole S1/S2 issue will have been driven by some of this and now we see the S2/S3 (my naming) issue.

So far most of us have followed because it suits our purposes. For me Sonos is still great for multi room music and because of this I use a PlayBar, PlayBase and Beam for music as well as their primary use case of TV. In fact the PlayBase is not connected to a TV at all.

Sure some people will sell up an leave, some will maintain their systems as they are and some will continue as if nothing happened.

The latest evolution seems odd, who would of thought that headphones were not a natural extension and that the Sonos USP would be TV not music? Not me.

Others may disagree with me but I think that two things will help Sonos avoid the 20/25% attrition that you fear will bring them down.

1. No one does multi room as well as Sonos
  2. Sonos still offer a great range of speakers  (small, medium, large, soundbars and subs)

Wait six months for them to fix the app, that’s how long I think it will take, and I’m pretty sure that the outlook will be different. 

How/When do you think Sonos will recover from all their products receiving One Star ratings on Amazon since new adopters can not get their purchases working without a functional App.  Agreed if fixed fast (that ship may have sailed) then there is a chance of long-term survival.  CEO was at the helm of Blackberry when it disappeared overnight with the introduction of iPhone.  Is this the iPhone moment for Sonos?

Has anyone noticed that the Amazon ratings for all Sonos products has mostly been 1 star since the update.  This will impact sales for some time.

No it won’t. It would take months for low ratings to reduce the overall star ratings, by which time the app will be fixed and the disgruntlement will be ended. For now buyers will see the following ratings and decide from that:

Sonos Five   4.6*
Era 100   4.4*
Era 300   4.4*

Arc   4.7*
Sub Gen 3   4.8*
Beam Gen 2   4.6*

Roam SL   4.4*

etc

Unless they look at the 1.2 star rating in the Play Store.

If I had a nickel for every time someone who is irate with an app overhaul predicted Sonos’ eminent demise, I’d be a very rich man.  The last app overhaul said all the same things about the new 8.0 version (you know, the app everyone is begging to get back now?). 

Those are just a few.  Now Sonos has made even more mistakes this time by purposefully releasing the app too early, but trust me, the ire over that is exactly the same as the ire over the UI changes last time.  People hate change.  Will some people leave Sonos and never come back?  Sure.  It happens.  Are most of the threats to leave and not come back mere posturing?  Of course, because some of those complaining today were also complaining back then, with the same idle threats.  Are these couple hundred, maybe 1000 or so users a mere fraction of a fraction of Sonos’ millions of users, and thus don’t represent the vast majority?  Unfortunately for their heartfelt cause, that is also true. 

Sonos Five   4.6*
Era 100   4.4*
Era 300   4.4*

Arc   4.7*
Sub Gen 3   4.8*
Beam Gen 2   4.6*

Roam SL   4.4*

etc

Unless they look at the 1.2 star rating in the Play Store.

Based on some of the posts here that appear to be from new Sonos customers it looks like poor reviews for the products and the app are having little impact on Sonos sales.

Tonight, I thought I’d done a stupid thing when I let the new app update the speakers.

it could only find one - the only one connected by Ethernet. All others were 1001 error codes (about 😎 items.

Even after rebooting my router and powering down one of the items, still no joy.

For me, this looked like a disaster. Although my iPhone has been updated to the new app, my iPad is still running the old one, which I’ve been using to operate my system.

However, after this abortive speaker update, my iPad could only see one speaker. Yes, you’ve guessed it, the one that had been updated by Ethernet.

In a panic, I tried to update the remaining speakers by my iPad app. No dice - it wanted to update my iPad app before doing anything else, and there’s no way I was letting that happen just now, I can tell you.

As a desperate last measure, I wondered if my desktop PC would fare any better?

Well, after updating the desktop app, all speakers had their firmware updated and are visible again by both new and old apps.

To me, my earlier issues trying to do this were very little to do with WiFi, routers, distance to antennas etc., just the app - though it’s interesting to note that Sonos’ own support notes advise trying another device, in my case a PC.

What do people who don’t have alternate devices do, I wonder?

Could you play music from a music library without internet on the app prior to May 7th’s update? I didn’t think the app worked without an internet connection, period?

I haven’t verified this with the old Android app. But the Windows app is still able to do it.

I did some more tests. On my tablet, I already had the download for the old S2, so I made a replacement.

When you start the app, or you have been away from the network, you cannot connect with neither the new app or old app. Both say that the device and the Sonos system must be on the same WiFi network. Which indeed they are. Fun titbit: While the old app could not connect, I still got a message that it needed an update. So it must somehow have been talking with the players anyway!

If I pull the network cable playing when the apps are connected, I can stop and start the music from the Android apps.

The Windows app is truly off-line. That is, if close it and restart it while the network cable is unplugged, it still finds the system.

In an effort to do some troubleshooting here…

--Listening to stations on RadioPup seems to be rock-solid.  Sounds great, all speakers in all rooms are working.

--TV audio (HDMI from TV to Sonos ARC + speakers in other rooms) is also rock-solid.

--Apple Music and Sonos Radio seem to break my system.  As soon as I try listening to anything on either service, the speaker whack-a-mole begins...speakers start cutting in & out, only one side of a stereo pair will work, etc.  Once that instability starts, I can’t get any other services to work properly again (even RadioPup and TV audio) until I unplug/replug all speakers and allow them to reconnect.

Whatever differences exist between RadioPup and AM/SR might be a culprit here (perhaps RadioPup has a lower bitrate or is encoded differently somehow).  Just wanted to share my latest experience in case that helps anyone.

Sonos leadership: As much as you’d like to think you’ve convinced people that this is necessary, it still isn’t.

No one is fooled. Everyone is annoyed. You’ve converted your biggest fans into people who want you to fail. I want you to fail. I want a smart speaker company that doesn’t do this stupid stuff.

It’s not too late to roll back the app. It’s slow, stupid, broken, and missing features.

The hardware is great but the software just keeps getting worse. Please stop. Just step away from the keyboard. 
It's basically unusable at this point. My wife tried to buy and set up a Move for her parents. She had to return it as it was such a difficult process. 
I was forced to update one of my Sonos systems and the update failed. (Probably because Internet connection was not great). Please don't force updates and brick the system unnecessarily.

As a Sonos shareholder this is doubly frustrating. The software is so terrible now.  It’s painful. 

You really should force an update to THE OLD APP immediately, and try to get your Sh*t together. This knew thing still absolutely stinks .

The most unprofessional, poorly planned, non-working piece of technology EVER rolled out by ANY company.

This new app appears very premature for release. I’ve lost steaming on some services and my alarm clock is gone. I use SONOS in 3 different locations and every time I enter and to to re-establish a connection. And the app is not smooth. 
why change when it’s this bad??
Has anyone heard anything from SONOS on any of this?? Will it be looked at??

This company was once a great audio solution for some. The plug and play simplicity was a huge selling point as well as the quality of the product, initially. Now, especially after this recent update, Sonos has gone off the rails. Junk, garbage, support is gone. I am currently returning sub mini, sub gen3, Arc and Ace headphones. If I was able, I’d return my 11 other Sonos items. I’ll be looking for a new Audio solution for myself and all my customers and all my friends. Goodbye Sonos. 

Since installing the new app, I have lost my music library on both my desktop and my mobile devices. I then spent an hour and half with customer service to restore it, only to lose it two days later. I figured that the engineering team had their hands full with the new update, so I have let it be for a few weeks. What I notice now is that the products on my system go in and out of sight. Sometimes my system shows all speakers while at other times it may only show one. 
Furthermore, my speakers will go in and out of service while listening to a song or watching a show. 
Overall, I just want some assurance that my system will go back to the dependable service that I enjoyed using the old app. 

The CEO of Sonos must resign. I thought Bose software was bad but Sonos is compting or they hired all of Bose engineers to make this monumental mess. I can’t do Trueplay on my ARC from my iPad Air 4.