Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

Please improve the volume responsiveness - there’s plenty of descriptions of this issue from the community, so I won’t add anything else.  There are obviously a lot of other improvements that are being made, but quick volume control is something I expect from a remote control.  It’s also the most used function for me.  Third party apps SonoPhone and SonoPad can control the volume as expected, so I have been using those.  Can the Sonos team please acknowledge that the jumpy volume controls are an issue and add that to the roadmap, so we know a fix is coming?  If its not a recognezed problem with the app, maybe post some trouble-shooting tips to help the many users that have spoken up about it?  Thanks.

Does “Recently Played” work for anyone? Since the new app the list no longer updates for me and just says “Your recent history will show here once you have played some content”. 

Am I missing a setting somewhere? (“Use Personalization Services” is enabled in my Data and Privacy settings)

I have decided to get rid of my sonos system. Sonos seem to be more intent on getting your personal information than enabling a sound system to operate as a sound system. (maybe taking a leaf out of the FaceBook business plan - if my system works as well as the ads they send I would have been happy)  I can no longer use my VPN, my Playlists appear sometimes and sometimes they do not appear - I have had enough !! I will revert back to a more reputable brand.

I’ve had Sonos for over 10 years, but the latest ‘update’ is an utter disaster. Sonos are very keen to constantly sell me stuff, but seemingly less keen to run a useable, likeable service. It sucks. 

It now takes ages to find the wi-if, all the French radio stations have disappeared, and various other UX niggles. It was even a debacle trying to create an account to post this. 

Utter trash. 

With the removal of so many functions to play local music and to use other music services, the new app feels like Sonos wanting to convert its Sonos system to only being speakers that stream Sonos Radio, where they can get ongoing ad revenue, rather than being an actual sound system.  Sad!  If that is the case then shouldn't they just give away the hardware instead of charging a premium.  I may as well go with some decent blue tooth speaker system since I can no longer use the system to play my own music.  No reason that they could not keep original functionality as well as adding new functionality unless they are just trying to force users into an ongoing revenue model.  I don't think Sonos understands its customer base at all.

I agree. They broke it, and possibly deliberately so they could push Sonos Radio. The inability now to play French radio stations in the UK is the final straw for me (apart from the appalling UX and interface). 

Does anyone know if Sonos are working to bring back the functionality before the app change?

Or is this the new Sonos?

The line-on option has vanished. Cannot use it anymore :-(

the new app has a good interface, but is is soooo sloooowwwww. Coming home, play music. Takes 5 minutes. Used to be 30 sec’s   
Also the app keeps moaning about finding system. 

It is very disappointing.  With this app I would advice against buying Sonos. 
:(

New app is terrible and was on phone over a month ago for 2 hours and still no resolution 

A lot of unhappy Sonos clients regarding the mandatory new Sonos app. I am one of those and astonished by the lack of response from Sonos. The silence is deafening, including from my email to you Patrick (CEO)! 

When can we expect some ACTION?  

Same issues with trueplay here. Whereas it works for the multiple single Sonos One speakers I have  and delivers the results I wanted, it’s not possible for two paired Play:5s in the living room. Line-in from Philips TV to the “master” Play:5 on the right side is now shown as line-in to the left speaker…. Which is connected with SonosNet and doesn’t have line-in. After the forced update of the speakers software music is not centered as it used to be but clearly has the focus on the right side. Using Equalizer to correct this reduces the overall sound quality a lot. 
Luckily I could go back to the s2 version of the app on my android phone.

Concerning the absolutely annoying loss of a searchable personal music library I can happily report that the issue could be solved, too, with an alternative controller from the iOS App Store (SonoPad), which is available for iPhone as well. Everything I aim for concerning playlists, radio and my personal music library is running smoothly and it really saved my day. Maybe Sonos should contact the developer and ask him how things should be done. 

This app has completely ruined my listening experience. Hardly use my Sonos anymore. Just can’t be bothered and clearly Sonos don’t care. I hope nobody buys their headphones. They don’t deserve the custom. Dreadful company. 

This app should have not been released until all the bugs are fixed 

Freezes/ delayed/ slow/does not work !

Voice commands don't always work on the new app.

Can not add speakers sometimes through the app

Can not adjust volume some times through the app or increase volume on different speakers.

The app is terrible 

Hopefully they will fix it soon or you will see my speakers for sale soon.

Below is an email I wrote to the CEO. I’m sure it’s not directly to him, but might be another way to flood Sonos’s customer service with feedback that will hopefully get this ridiculous step backward fixed!!

Greetings Patrick,

I'm certain you’ve received countless emails on how incredibly frustrating your new app update is. I have invested many dollars into my system of 9 speakers (6 Ones, 2 5’s, one Move, two Boosts) and I am exceedingly disappointed in the new Sonos app. I consistently open the app wondering if it will be connected to my system or not. Often it’s not and then it may or may not find the system without multiple steps. Unbelievable!! I just want to open it per all the previous app versions and play music! Even actions like finding the master volume or working with different rooms now require at least one extra step. It’s so difficult to comprehend how you could have published this update! The alarm and timer are gone as well. I'm amazed at all the things that are not good in the new app. 

I’ve wasted so much time trying to get this app to work or searching the internet for a fix or writing emails/feedback posts like this! 

I’ve recommended your product countless times over the years and not only will I no longer recommend it, I tell everyone to stay away from it! 

I’m already invested, so I’m hoping you and your company fix this disaster post haste. If not, I would gladly send all my speakers back to your company for a full refund of the actual purchase price

Sincerely,
Exceptionally frustrated and disappointed customer

Surprised at how bad the new app is. Started playing from Spotify this morning and went to switch to the Sonos app (as usual to avoid the laggy volume control Spotify has) to be presented with the new version. 

Great! Laggy volume control.

And massive lag in displaying the current track playing. 

Instantaneous volume control was one of the pluses of the Sonos app. 

Tim

Please, Sonos...just take a temporary ego hit and go back to the previous app version.

I have 12 of your speakers.  I just started playing from Apple Music with all rooms selected, then took a walk around to take stock.  Nine of the 12 speakers were playing at first, and then within about 20 seconds it was down to three (3).  Three of the twelve speakers, on which I’ve spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, are operating.

Everybody is begging you to drop back a version.  Please listen.

But, folks, don’t the new app is ‘courageous’. 

in the same way I’m going to courageously call out Patrick Spence for being a vile, twisted, customer-hating c**t. 

SONOS, BRING BACK THE OLD APP OR I WANT MY MONEY BACK, YOU F**KING RETARDS. 

(But of course you won’t, because of your headphones and your subservience to the ‘almighty dollar’.  If you did, then that WOULD be courageous.). 

I canot understand how a company with such highly priced items can honestly release such a mess of “updated” software. I am considering to sell everything… thousands of euros to be lost...

I actually think a class action lawsuit is warranted here.  Sonos can’t steal money from consumers without repercussions.

I’m pretty sure everyone here bought their SONOS kit based on the advertising of certain functionality. And that functionality has been removed. 

I don’t know the laws in the rest of the world, but in the UK, we have something called ‘The Trades Description Act’ (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Descriptions_Act_1968). It does take a genius-legal mind to work out the twat Spence and his cronies are in breach of that. So, tomorrow morning, I will be phoning SONOS to ask for a full refund. I will report back and let you all know if they agree,  or choose to break the law by refusing. 

New App is complete garbage. I can't play all my tracks from Amazon anymore. When I go into my music and select tracks from the Amazon widget and hit shuffle it only plays the top 100 songs. I have thousands of songs. I am a reseller and sell over 100000 of sonos every year. I can no longer recommend this product to my customer given it does not work. So many issue with current clients systems. This has been awful.

I actually think a class action lawsuit is warranted here.  Sonos can’t steal money from consumers without repercussions.

Exactly what money has been stolen?

I’m pretty sure everyone here bought their SONOS kit based on the advertising of certain functionality. And that functionality has been removed. 

I don’t know the laws in the rest of the world, but in the UK, we have something called ‘The Trades Description Act’ (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Descriptions_Act_1968). It does take a genius-legal mind to work out the twat Spence and his cronies are in breach of that. So, tomorrow morning, I will be phoning SONOS to ask for a full refund. I will report back and let you all know if they agree,  or choose to break the law by refusing. 

Good luck with that.

Exactly what money has been stolen?

The money that we paid for a bunch of paperweights.

All Sonos has to do is swallow their pride and drop back a version (or allow their customers to make that choice).

Frankly - whilst the old app had its issues for sure - it was at least half usable - despite the glitches and deficiencies. But does the management have a clue about the useless nature of this new app ? Do they realize how appallingly bad this app is? It's like Designing a car without a steering wheel.Or without brakes or without an accelerator. it is so useless I cannot begin to explain. But for starters, there's no obvious way to select new music. There's no way to actually clear a queue that I can see! If there its all buried deep within some obscure sub menu. This app is an extinction level event for sonos ~ if they don't fix it pretty damn quick. Have they heard of Ratners (the jewellers)? Exactly. Do they actually have a usability expert assist with this - or was he high on coke or some other wacky substance. Simply unbelievable. I have 6 separate room systems.The total cost of which is in the £9,000 - so i'm not some Sonos newbie with a couple of Play 1's. Frankly I'm fuming!

The money that we paid for a bunch of paperweights.

All Sonos has to do is swallow their pride and drop back a version (or allow their customers to make that choice).

So that would ne “no money”?  Gotcha.