Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

The recent sonos app update has resulted in a much worse user experience. The updated version regularly--as in multiple times a day regularly--says I'm not connected to a system. I have to open and close the app 2-3 times before it sees the devices. Next, it regularly--as in multiple times a day regularly--only sees one or  two of the five sonos devices I have. Again, I have to open and close the app 2-3 times before it decides to see all the devices I have. I am not impressed, I am disappointed. Anyone else having this experience?

Well, I braved the latest Mac update, which appeared to work last night, though I still can’t add my local library. It is still available on the fake NAS I posted about earlier, and is also detailed on the 913 error thread.

This morning I tried to pause my music, and watched as the dreaded “can’t find your system error” came up - while still playing. All of my speakers disconnected, and I lost my playlist. Several speakers were missing when it came back up, but the unplug-and-plug-back-in method worked to get them visible again.

Sonos - let me know when the local library option is working again. Until then, I would prefer to skip updates.

This new app is absolutely horrible.  Nothing wrong with old app.  Please change it back!!!!!

New (to me) problem. I cannot schedule or request an update to my Music Library, in ANY app!  v16.1 says I need to upgrade in order to ‘Update Music Index Now’. If I upgrade, there is no option to do that!!!

Please,please,please,please retire v80 and put back v16 with full functionality. v80 is just not ready.

Hi,

I am sorry to say I’m really disappointed in the new app.  I’ve lost all my streaming links in favorits (still on controller on MAC, but disappeared in app).  Also switching between rooms and linking them etc. doesn’t work as well as it did.  When I stream a (Sonos) Radio station the pic seems to be random, but seldom the right one…. Not sure what happened, but you guys really need to make this more user friendly I think…

Eduard

This update to the new app it utter rubbish. It has been so frustrating trying to find everything. The connection takes so long & sometimes just doesn’t connect. The alarm is not working. Playlist are hidden. 
can we revert back to the previous app? 
thanks

Hi there, my issue with the new app is every time I open it it says
“Playback activty
There are no connected products. Go to System settings to learn more.”

Then after about 5 seconds it lists all my sonos products and whats playing.
The annoying thing is it does this evertime I go ointo the app.

Say I’m playing something. I close my phone, then 10 seconds later I want to skip a song, iunlock my phone, go to the sonos app and it says no connected products, wait for it to sort itself out and then I can skip/change vol etc etc

The old app never had this issue and I could instantly interact with the speaker in question.

Hi there, my issue with the new app is every time I open it it says
“Playback activty
There are no connected products. Go to System settings to learn more.”

Then after about 5 seconds it lists all my sonos products and whats playing.
The annoying thing is it does this evertime I go ointo the app.

Say I’m playing something. I close my phone, then 10 seconds later I want to skip a song, iunlock my phone, go to the sonos app and it says no connected products, wait for it to sort itself out and then I can skip/change vol etc etc

The old app never had this issue and I could instantly interact with the speaker in question.

You are lucky.  5 seconds is ok compared to some devices not seeing my Sonos for days and weeks.  Or our iPads- almost never.  But then some iPads will connect and iPhones will not find the system.  And the Sonos system that the app can’t find is playing the whole time on my speakers.  We don’t (sometimes can’t) change stations anymore)

Damn, thats a nightmare Dr.Douglas.

Sorry, I have another question. I suppose it might be related to my one above.
But I no longer get the sonos app appear on the lock screen of my android phone. I assume as its not running in the background its not showing up (I’m not an app developer if you can’t guess) and why when I unlock my phone the app is bascily starting from fresh and doesnt know about my system.

EDIT: I should also say the help on the sonos site about the lock screen appears to be about the old app, as the setting they talk about is not in the app settings on the new one.

“Something went wrong. Try again.” is all my Sonos app can do. It says it every time I try to get it to play music, be it from Sirius or Apple Music. I plan to take a break from the new app and just go directly from music app to speaker. I’ll try again after a few updates. What a mess. I also tried working with Sonos Help to get it working and after some diagnostic tests all they could say was do a reset on my speakers. How incredibly frustrating!

Can’t we just download the old app as an option? I loved the old app. Because of this mess with the new app, I have lost all of my playlists which I spent years cultivating. 

Sonospad is a great alternative while waiting for a possible fix.

What I don’t understand is why they didn’t do a survey or focus group of users at the start of the process ASKING US what we want and what we like and don’t like? That feels like such a no brainer. So much of this reaction could have been avoided if they asked their customers first as compared to assuming they know what we feel and want.

Had a great tech and he took over my computer and got my music library back and the last update fixed my connection issues. I let him the ceo and everyone else how ridiculous it was to release an app that isn’t really working correctly 

What I don’t understand is why they didn’t do a survey or focus group of users at the start of the process ASKING US what we want and what we like and don’t like? That feels like such a no brainer. So much of this reaction could have been avoided if they asked their customers first as compared to assuming they know what we feel and want.

You are assuming they didn’t know people wanted them, or made a choice to remove those things.  I assure you, that had nothing to do with it.  The powers that be at Sonos (and I’m not talking developers or testers) made a conscious decision to release the app with missing features and bugs because the app’s support for the new hardware (Headphones and Roam 2) was more of a priority than releasing a fully baked app.  Potential sales before the fiscal end of year were more important, more than likely due to sales predictions they promised to investors. 

I am starting to loose my temper with Sonos overall.

I’ve always had the occasional issue with services with Sonos. Occasionally integrations with Spotify would fail, or the built in Alexa features would stop performing certain tasks. Though in most cases, a restart, or unlinking/relinking the service would fix those problems. It was still frustrating though, when you pay such a premium for a product like Sonos, you expect these integrations to work better, but I’ve always still dealt with it.

Any then they release this awful new app, and things just get worse!

At least 50% of the time I get at least one of the below issues:

• “Something went wrong”, message pops up  within the app when I open it.
  • No Sonos devices listed in the app, or some rooms/speakers are missing.
  • Grouping of devices for music fails.

The features seem to have gone backwards too, it’s now lacking the following:

• Volume control no longer shows the volume number out of 100.
  • Large Spotify playlists no longer has a scroll bar. I’m literally scrolling for 2+ minutes to get to the end of my playlist so I can choose from my most recent songs!
  • The general layout and usability is less intuitive that it was before, it’s hideous to navigate anything!
  • My lock screen no longer shows Sonos status or volume controls.

I am genuinely finding it difficult to perform the most basic tasks. I really don’t expect this from a premium product like this. I have started looking for alternatives. Alexa/Amazon seem to do reasonable speakers, and if they did soundbars and subs, I’d be at the point where I’d be moving away from Sonos!

This needs to improve!

I REALLY DISLIKE the new mobile UX! Yuck. Was this user tested? Please change and push out an update. But, please don’t rush the release as you recently did to accommodate the headphone release. That update is crap and causing all sorts of problems. But, you know that don’t you Sonos?!

Also, Sonos doesn’t support systems connected to Starlink! What?! If Elon can engineer a product that communicates with satellites, Sonos engineers should be capable of coding software that can manage the data transfer Starlink provides.

Finally (maybe), Sonos engineers need to consider that some of us mount our speakers near or at the ceiling for better sound. Rebooting those speakers then requires a ladder and precarious button pushing while plugging back in. Take a look at starlink’s mobile UX. I can reboot my Starlink from my mobile app. No need to get a ladder and climb on my roof. Come on Sonos… think!

Its absolute rubbish. Sonos needs to prioritize fixing this app, even if it just means reverting to the previous version. I can’t find anything, and its not intuitive in any way at all. I can’t even find the search bar for finding music. The previous version wasn’t great, but was at least learnable.

Thank god for Roon.

Yes, what else should I write? The app doesn't work

Takes 2 minutes to load

Doesn't show favorites

Doesn't play Sonos Radio

Doesn't delete or save tracks, etc.

I've complained about this several times now, and I've heard it from you.

It's called "teasing" customers.

I've now recorded all the disruptions and sent them to magazines...

17 of our facilities wanted to switch to Sonos systems, but we were able to prevent that after these experiences. You missed out on €35,000, your management might understand this language better.

Countless unsuccessful contacts with your service are making me think more and more about how I can harm you.

Kind regards

Prof

Dr. Norbert Ammermann

Sent from Nine

I have a Pixel and the old app started up immediately. The new app takes about 2 minutes to start. Then I get a “Sonos is unresponsive” message asking if I want to Wait or Cancel. I choose Wait and then Sonos app starts up. This is ridiculous behavior for an established app. The old Sonos app started up immediately.

Why do manufacturers keep putting out crappy upgrades that feel like a downgrade?

It’s getting  even worse. Now I find I cannot use the volume buttons on my Android to change volume. I have to use my Winblows laptop or to the actual speaker. (Even after waiting 5 minutes for the dang Droid app to start in the first place. So wait….wait….wait, then cannot change volume?) WTF. I was about to buy more Sonos speakers for my bedroom and basement. Guess I’ll meander over to Audio Engine and see what they have for sale. I’m pretty sure the electronics recyclers will take these speakers that are now unmanageable.

Bug:

[iOS App] Search results don’t return songs. Just Artists, Albums, and Stations if you have parental controls on for explicit content. Deep, heavy sigh.

Loyal Sonos advocate for 16 years here and I am jumping ship.

App is still not functional.
Newer speaker designs (Sonos Era 300) look like crap. Sonos Amp has to be one of the worst sounding digital amplifiers I have ever heard, and Port sounds noticeably worse than the previous model (Connect) that it replaced. 

Sonos you once were the pinnacle of usability and design in this space, and you have lost your way.  Your products now look, sound, and function worse than ever before.  

Newer speaker designs (Sonos Era 300) look like crap. Sonos Amp has to be one of the worst sounding digital amplifiers I have ever heard, and Port sounds noticeably worse than the previous model (Connect) that it replaced. 

Sonos you once were the pinnacle of usability and design in this space, and you have lost your way.  Your products now look, sound, and function worse than ever before.  

Try Bluesound. I am loving it. Crutchfield has easy returns.

I was also 16 years with Sonos. So sad.

Nailed it, sadly.

I ve got 21 products so i m stuck! Hopefully someone from the company reads these comments. I think everyone deserves a free ace headphones for all the grief they ve caused

Its absolute rubbish. Sonos needs to prioritize fixing this app, even if it just means reverting to the previous version. I can’t find anything, and its not intuitive in any way at all. I can’t even find the search bar for finding music. The previous version wasn’t great, but was at least learnable.

Thank god for Roon.

Roon barely works with Sonos. Bluesoft is fully compatible. Not sure about Denon.