Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

New App is complete garbage. I can't play all my tracks from Amazon anymore. When I go into my music and select tracks from the Amazon widget and hit shuffle it only plays the top 100 songs. I have thousands of songs. I am a reseller and sell over 100000 of sonos every year. I can no longer recommend this product to my customer given it does not work. So many issue with current clients systems. This has been awful.

A “reseller” who sells over 100000 units a year is posting in the support forum instead of contacting their sales rep directly?  If you are going to make up stories to try to sound important, at least make them believable. 

Sonos,

Since the new app rollout, after years of enjoying Sonos, I cannot:

> select the room in which I want to listen to music

> create groups of rooms in which to listen to music 

> consistently turn music on/off

> edit a queue to add music 

> create playlists 

> select a music source 

Honestly, the interface is completely broken. 

Any sense for when you will address?

Thank you. 

Ed

The money that we paid for a bunch of paperweights.

All Sonos has to do is swallow their pride and drop back a version (or allow their customers to make that choice).

So that would ne “no money”?  Gotcha. 

I’m not sure what your motivation is for defending Sonos, but it’s not OK for a company to sell a bunch of expensive equipment, render it inoperable, then roll their eyes at their angry customers.

I’m not sure what your motivation is for defending Sonos, but it’s not OK for a company to sell a bunch of expensive equipment, render it inoperable, then roll their eyes at their angry customers.

Not defending anything.  I’m just not a fan of hyperbolic nonsense.  Nothing has been “rendered inoperable”.  A portion of Sonos users are having difficulty with an app which was released with a bunch of features missing.  That’s it.  There’s been no theft, nobody is going to launch class action suits, because nobody has had a loss which would justify a class action lawsuit.  You are inconvenienced by the fact you cannot use your music system the same way as before.  It’s gradually being fixed by the manufacturer.  Period.  On the great highway of life, this isn’t even a speedbump.  Get over it.  Or don’t, and sell your Sonos. 

Not defending anything.  I’m just not a fan of hyperbolic nonsense.  Nothing has been “rendered inoperable”.  A portion of Sonos users are having difficulty with an app which was released with a bunch of features missing.  That’s it.  There’s been no theft, nobody is going to launch class action suits, because nobody has had a loss which would justify a class action lawsuit.  You are inconvenienced by the fact you cannot use your music system the same way as before.  It’s gradually being fixed by the manufacturer.  Period.  On the great highway of life, this isn’t even a speedbump.  Get over it.  Or don’t, and sell your Sonos. 

Really? Are you telling me that I, and so many others, are lying when they say their system is unusable? Get over an $8,000 dollar investment down the drain? Why doesn’t SONOS get over it and allow people to revert to an older version? Sorry but your opinion is out numbered here about 1000 to 1.

Really? Are you telling me that I, and so many others, are lying when they say their system is unusable? Get over an $8,000 dollar investment down the drain? Why doesn’t SONOS get over it and allow people to revert to an older version? Sorry but your opinion is out numbered here about 1000 to 1.

How is it down the drain? The app will be sorted in a few weeks. 
The utter melodrama on here is ridiculous. 
@jgatie ’s opinion might be outnumbered 1000 to 1, but their common sense outweighs others by 1000 to 1…

You are correct…I went too far to the hyperbolic dark side over a speaker system software issue. (First-world/Prob-lems/Clap, clap, clap clap clap)

However, I stand by my original point from a couple posts back: Please, Sonos, for your sake and ours, give us the option to drop back a version while you get things sorted. 

No, I believe you are exaggerating just how “unusable” your system is, and being overly melodramatic because this type of problem seems to attract the “watch me post something more outrageous and absurd than the last person did!” escalation of that melodrama.  It’s a music system.  They released a bad app.  There are things you can do to fix your system if you care to list what the problem is besides the absurdly non-descript “useless”.   If your problem is the missing features, Sonos has a timeline for fixing missing features here: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

No, I believe you are exaggerating just how “unusable” your system is, and being overly melodramatic because this type of problem seems to attract the “watch me post something more outrageous and absurd than the last person did!” escalation of that melodrama.  It’s a music system.  They released a bad app.  There are things you can do to fix your system if you care to list what the problem is besides the absurdly non-descript “useless”.   If your problem is the missing features, Sonos has a timeline for fixing missing features here: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I would be more concerned with the obvious direction that this thing is actually taking…with the introduction of this new app, you can basically see the writing on the wall... ie. that you will need a full-time internet connection to be “allowed” to play your local libraries of music collections. Even more so, the introduction of possibly a monthly subscription fee for the use of the equipment located at your residence that you purchased to play your own music over.

Try it. Disconnect your internet. See if you can still use your Sonos app to play your music. Good luck with that.

I would be more concerned with the obvious direction that this thing is actually taking…with the introduction of this new app, you can basically see the writing on the wall... ie. that you will need a full-time internet connection to be “allowed” to play your local libraries of music collections. Even more so, the introduction of possibly a monthly subscription fee for the use of the equipment located at your residence that you purchased to play your own music over.

Try it. Disconnect your internet. See if you can still use your Sonos app to play your music. Good luck with that.

Could you play music from a music library without internet on the app prior to May 7th’s update? I didn’t think the app worked without an internet connection, period?

I rest my case on the escalating levels of hyperbole and melodrama.

Could you play music from a music library without internet on the app prior to May 7th’s update? I didn’t think the app worked without an internet connection, period?

I’m pretty sure it did… albeit rare when that happened, but perhaps our friends on the old S1 app or those who haven’t updated their S2 apps could tell us their findings.

The fact that their https://play.sonos.com web app mimics the functionality of the actual app almost exactly leads me to believe that local-only functionality is going to be disappearing soon. There have been some others that have posted from locations with limited to no internet, and fearing a loss of use of their Sonos equipment.

Meanwhile, my ability to play from my local network library briefly came back on the new app, but then disappeared and hasn’t come back. In fact, almost all day yesterday, it was determined in thinking that my Windows controller + 6-speaker system was non-existent. <sigh>

I’ve been experimenting with other tools in the interim… Roon seems promising, and is able to play your local libraries over your Sonos equipment, but comes with a monthly subscription (see where I’m going with this?  Sonos is just late to the party, but they will be rolling this same strategy out).  Also tried an Android app called “AirMusic”, but its a bit wonky, and the UI is a bit to be desired for. I’ve ordered some WiiM equipment that will be making use of my existing Plex server and stream music that way. I think it’s time for a shift away from Sonos at this point...

Sorry I swore in title but I am pissed!!! 1000s of dollars into SONOS. and now the new version of the app is complete * !! I lose connection to my system all the time. My volumes are no longer linkable and are all individually controlled. They are seconds behind and SUPER delayed when I move them and they move BY THEMSELVES!!!!!.  I now have to hit Apply?!?!? What the hell SONOS!!! Fix this crappy app! If this is the future of your app and all its broken crap, I’m done with this company!!! Yes I have reinstalled the app and rebooted my phone and all speakers!! Who tested this new app a blind guy who never used a phone?!?! Garbage!!!!!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I rest my case on the escalating levels of hyperbole and melodrama.

I unfortunately don't have the time or patience for mega-corporations like Sonos, which are blatantly screwing over their customers with unprecedented incompetence, nor for people like you who don't seem to mind living with lost functionality because they just trust that their 'savior' will eventually deliver the 'promised' goods. Stockholm syndrome much?

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This new app and firmware is TERRIBLE.  I’m so frustrated I’m about to remove every Sonos product from my two homes and replace them with ANYTHING else.  I use Sonos to play albums from my turntable across my home and it keep STOPPING.  Earlier today, my Connect was playing music though the app reported it wasn’t.  Trying to play music on my amp resulting in it playing on the speakers in another room (and reporting it was playing on the speakers I chose).  It took me nearly 15 minutes of messing around with it to get it to switch to the right room, using my wife’s phone to switch what’s playing.  Automation from Home Assistant have stopped working.  The list goes on.  THIS STUFF IS HOT GARBAGE and you all should be ABSOLUTELY ashamed of yourselves for releasing this upon customers who have spent thousands of dollars with your company.  SHAME ON YOU. Sonos was a great product that I would recommend to all my friends and family.  No more.

Could you play music from a music library without internet on the app prior to May 7th’s update? I didn’t think the app worked without an internet connection, period

Of course you could, 100%.  Why on earth would you need an internet connection to play your own, offline music from your own library? An Internet connection was required for initial setup (and obviously to stream from online providers), no more.

Could you play music from a music library without internet on the app prior to May 7th’s update? I didn’t think the app worked without an internet connection, period

Of course you could, 100%.  Why on earth would you need an internet connection to play your own, offline music from your own library? An Internet connection was required for initial setup (and obviously to stream from online providers), no more.

I don’t recall the S2 app even opening properly and finding the system without an internet connection? 

I haven’t verified this with the old Android app. But the Windows app is still able to do it.

Mad that on that roadmap page they say this:

For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

​​​​​It's fair to say that's for a lot of people, myself included, it is now less reliable, slower and the performance has not improved. 

It seems that they have failed with their primary stated objectives, headphone support notwithstanding. 

Sadly no mention of album art support for local libraries in the roadmap either. 

BTW, when I first bought my Sonos equipment a few years ago, I had terrible reliability issues. After spending a lot of time with Sonos support, they blamed WiFi interference. It's not an issue which affects anything else in my house but I went with it.

Anyway, I wired one product into the ethernet and that did seem to solve the reliability problems. 

Those problems have returned now, with products dropping or the system not being recognised at all. Sometimes even while music is actually playing. 

It's just baffling really. 

I think one thing that REALLY bothers me besides the fact that my 10 speakers are basically paperweights is the fact that I'm getting 1-2 emails a day pushing their new headphones and other products. SONOS, just a thought, fix what we have before trying to ram other products down our throats..It's getting extremely annoying and is pushing loyal customers farther and farther away..JMHO

Correct, you did need the internet with the prior intro of S2 and the firmware updates rolled out 4 yrs ago, but NOT for local functions/libraries/NAS music.  Mostly it was necessary for settings and streaming.  We lost internet all the time and the local Sonos whole-home-wireless-audio system played on and on. 

What Sonos refuses to address is this new S2 demand for full time internet access with the May 7th roll-out WILL result in app lagging issues if you have spotty internet or if Sonos isn’t providing a enough Server access/processing during peak use times (varies by country, time zone, etc.).   We’re not sure if they are leasing from AWS or ??  it depends on how much bandwidth they purchase but my friends have noticed a LOT of app lag, as the signal from their device makes its why through the web to Sonos’ servers and back.  Vol, page refresh, ++ are impacted. 

So Sonos, please address this in full detail and quit saying the new app is FASTER, SIMPLER, and BETTER. 

I think one thing that REALLY bothers me besides the fact that my 10 speakers are basically paperweights is the fact that I'm getting 1-2 emails a day pushing their new headphones and other products. SONOS, just a thought, fix what we have before trying to ram other products down our throats..It's getting extremely annoying and is pushing loyal customers farther and farther away..JMHO

Watch out… @jgatie might think you are “exaggerating just how ‘unusable’ your system is“…in fact, to him it may sound like you are “being overly melodramatic because this type of problem seems to attract the ‘watch me post something more outrageous and absurd than the last person did!’ escalation of that melodrama.”

As a network engineer who does this type of stuff for a living… there’s nothing wrong with my network. It’s totally a mobile app problem. My Sonos firmware hasn’t changed.  Roon is finding all my speakers in the house in <1 sec, and it’s playing music from my local network library without issue THROUGH my Sonos speakers no less.

Meanwhile, the Sonos app doesn’t even see my network, and doesn’t think anything exists. It saw a local library share for exactly *1* day. That was it. Then it was gone. Yesterday, it thought my system was non-existent. Today, it is showing a few streaming apps… but that’s about it. The web “play.sonos.com” UI doesn’t do much better, and will show 1 speaker every so often… most of the time, it will just say “your speakers are offline”.

Don’t give me this BS, @jgatie

I unfortunately don't have the time or patience for mega-corporations like Sonos, which are blatantly screwing over their customers with unprecedented incompetence, nor for shills like you who don't seem to mind living with lost functionality because they just trust that their 'savior' will eventually deliver the 'promised' goods. Stockholm syndrome much?

Shill?  I've repeatedly stated this app is crap.  It shouldn't have been released, and Sonos cared far more about investors than their customers.  I'm just not a fan of the apocalyptic hyperbole that results in an ever escalating level of idiocy in here (such as calling me a shill and comparing me to being a hostage and suffering Stockholme syndrome because we disagree over a stupid frigging app).

I unfortunately don't have the time or patience for mega-corporations like Sonos, which are blatantly screwing over their customers with unprecedented incompetence, nor for shills like you who don't seem to mind living with lost functionality because they just trust that their 'savior' will eventually deliver the 'promised' goods. Stockholm syndrome much?

Shill?  I've repeatedly stated this app is crap.  It shouldn't have been released, and Sonos cared far more about investors than their customers.  I'm just not a fan of the apocalyptic hyperbole that results in an ever escalating level of idiocy in here (such as calling me a shill and comparing me to being a hostage and suffering Stockholme syndrome because we disagree over a stupid frigging app).

Stop backpedaling. You are continuously making snide remarks toward the very real experiences others are having when it comes to the sub-par performance of the app, and making them sound like they're in the wrong, and blowing everything out of proportion. You did the same here, underhandedly: “I rest my case on the escalating levels of hyperbole and melodrama.”

Sure… Sonos may eventually fix the issues at hand, but it doesn't discount the fact that they f*cked this rollout up royally for a good portion of their most loyal customers who had to create accounts out here to see what the h*ll is going on, and why all their equipment stopped working all of a sudden.

So if you have no constructive solutions to offer on how to get the app to magically start working again like it did before this update, then stop being a shill and blaming everyone else for “blowing everything out of proportion”, because apparently everything works great on your end, but not for anyone else.

Stop backpedaling. You are continuously making snide remarks toward the very real experiences others are having when it comes to the sub-par performance of the app, and making them sound like they're in the wrong, and blowing everything out of proportion. You did the same here, underhandedly: “I rest my case on the escalating levels of hyperbole and melodrama.”

Sure… Sonos may eventually fix the issues at hand, but it doesn't discount the fact that they f*cked this rollout up royally for a good portion of their most loyal customers who had to create accounts out here to see what the h*ll is going on, and why all their equipment stopped working all of a sudden.

So if you have no constructive solutions to offer on how to get the app to magically start working again like it did before this update, then stop being a shill and blaming everyone else for “blowing everything out of proportion”, because apparently everything works great on your end, but not for anyone else.

I’ve been chatting with our local audio installer and a high-end audio retailer and both are beyond angry at what Sonos has done to their customer base.  It’s not just the few brave souls who find their way to these forums, it’s retailers, installers, who are also suffering customer complaints (one has dropped the entire Sonos product line).  This boneheaded move hits them in the pocket book too!  Not to mention long-term-loyal-repeat customers who have built their systems over the years. 

So to the handful of Sonos SuperFans left on here who keep downplaying the impact of one of the worse (and P.Spence has a number) decisions Sonos has ever made.  Keep in mind that it’s not only the hours of wasted time trying to get our MUSIC to play, it’s the feedback from friends, family, installers, retailers who ARE also actually suffering what should have NEVER happened.  Have a heart, stop reading these forums if they bother you, or offer up really good solutions instead of downplaying this impact while claiming it’s no big deal and will be solved soon!   

The tone-deft, arrogant, and ignorant corporate leaders of this now crappy company have a simple solution but they refuse to do it, probably out of spite, greed (bonus time) or a noose above their neck, but they won’t roll back even temporally to ease the impact of their poor decisions.  

Music is a personal journey and we have the right to get angry when a company ruins (temporary or permanently) our access to it.