Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

I am fed up with Sonos now will be getting rid of the system and recommend no one to buy it as app doesn’t work 🤬🤬

I am struggling with performance on the app in general. First load of the app, and especially when backgrounded, is terrible, often taking 15-30 seconds before loading everything on screen. Sometimes restarting the app helps, but this is not sustainable. I’m using the latest release on the latest iOS on an iPhone 14 Pro, so this shouldn’t have anything to do with my hardware. 

I’m really hoping updates address performance first, because none of the features matter if the app is unresponsive. 

--Apple Music and Sonos Radio seem to break my system.  As soon as I try listening to anything on either service, the speaker whack-a-mole begins...speakers start cutting in & out, only one side of a stereo pair will work, etc.  Once that instability starts, I can’t get any other services to work properly again (even RadioPup and TV audio) until I unplug/replug all speakers and allow them to reconnect.

But I can’t see that this anything to do with the new app.

I do recognise the pattern, though. I have this issue with my Play 3, although I don’t get it equally often anymore. This could be because Sonos fixed the firmware, but it could also be because I moved to another room where my listening pattern is different.

navigation in the new app is really frustrating, even wjen the app is "working". there are times when the back button has to be tapped, what feels like, 7 or 8 times to return to the home screen. removing tabs was weirdly presented as some leap forward for useability. it's not. 

also, why can i only reorder one service to the front of the queue. thus means choosing between one of three most used apps to be at the top of the list while others are buried in the list. that list, one notes is a narrow and presented as a side scroller. when has side swiping ever been the stamdard for a mobile app. it's weird and feels crap.

sonos favourites all being jumbled together on the home screen is also a step back. the previous app had this much better with favourites organised by type. it's just a mess.

there are times when the back button has to be tapped, what feels like, 7 or 8 times to return to the home screen.

Just tap SONOS top left to return home.

The app takes a long time to respond, even to a volume adjustment. I have several rooms and about 16 speakers- is this slowing it down? What can I do to improve it? I use a Hub. 

How many people are having problems with the new Sonos App.

I am absolutely sick of this app, I can't connect to my system, I can't find my system, Alexa doesn't work, I have to keep signing into my account and then I still can't access anything.

I have 4 Sonos speakers that just can't connect to each other or the app, system is nigh on useless now.

Will NEVER BUY SONOS AGAIN.

They should bring back the old app, till all these problems are solved.

there are times when the back button has to be tapped, what feels like, 7 or 8 times to return to the home screen.

I've renamed my system to "Home" to assist with this too. 

I've renamed my system to "Home" to assist with this too. 

Yeah, I’ve renamed mine “Bloody Sonos”. 

It doesn’t improve the operation of the app at all, but it makes me feel better…

I receive the message “something went wrong” way too often. Again, have to imagine when you are in testing phase these are the things you try to correct. I’ve never had these issues with previous app versions. The goal of your product is to play music through the app to the speaker system, plain and simple. Please get that right. 

I receive the message “something went wrong” way too often. Again, have to imagine when you are in testing phase these are the things you try to correct. I’ve never had these issues with previous app versions. The goal of your product is to play music through the app to the speaker system, plain and simple. Please get that right. 

I seem to be getting that error more since the last update. It even pops up when the app appears to be working as instructed. 

It's definitely not stable right now. 

Your new app is idiotic

How many people are having problems with the new Sonos App.

Here alone, 58 pages worth and counting. Other areas on the web - lots. Who knows how many people have quietly given up. I’m curious about the return rate of speakers purchased after the app update.

I avoid using the iOS app, and use the desktop app whenever possible. Unless I get the dreaded “searching for system”, the Mac app mostly works. No lag after hitting play or pause, and volume control works.

Of course, this is after I spent days trying to get my local library back after it disappeared with the “courageous” new app. The links to instructions I posted much earlier here work for a lot of people, but not all. I hope Sonos finds that their new headphones are worth causing so many problems for their (formerly) loyal customer base.

A number of frequent Sonos updates… regrettably, continue to fail “something went wrong” and no explanation… what a mess! we too are exploring alternatives and placed an order for speakers update on hold

I was excited to see the new app come out.  But several months later, I’m looking to go back to the previous version.  

I’m unable to turn on my surround speakers, Era 300.  ( I can turn on the sub ).  

I’ll be playing music in a room and on occasion it will stop for no apparent reason.  It will also start playing random songs, stop in the middle of the song and switch to another one.  Very unstable.  

same tune that stops for a minute or so in another room, then restarts - no reason!

As said - very unstable; some improvement!

I’ll be playing music in a room and on occasion it will stop for no apparent reason.  It will also start playing random songs, stop in the middle of the song and switch to another one.  Very unstable.  

Yes, I have experienced this many times. Long before the new app came out. I believe the story is that there is a dip in the network connection. My preference in this case would be that Sonos just waited for the source to come back, but instead it jumps ahead in the queue until it finds something which plays. Which makes sort of sense if you have songs from different sources, but not so much if all songs are from the same source.

Anyway, I can’t see that the new app has any significance here. This is inherent in the music devices themselves.

15 years using SONOS. The latest controller update makes me think of walking away forever. 

• First the fact that the dedicated remote control has been discontinued→ Thank you very much but this was a big RED flag for me. I use my phone day in day out for work, I don’t want to use my phone to control my SONO music system.
  • Second the control over the phone (iPhone or Android) is a source of stress: It is slow, takes time to figure out the connectivity, takes up to 10 seconds to turn the volume up or down or change song which is unacceptable.
    Finally your latest update (complete revamp) of the App is a MASSACRE, it was painful to use before it is now just UNACCEPTABLE. I updated today hoping that it would improve the user experience, it does not: The APP is lagging, not responsive, slow, not reliable (I probably miss adjectives).

It is a shame. Get qualified devs, or pay them properly, or get more of them. 
I have a love-hate relationship right now, might turn into plain hatred in a couple of days. It’s not that I have no patience, my patience it up, time is up (after 15 years). 

Sonos live Q&A about to start in an hour. 😁

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-live?utm_source=braze_consumer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=son_bt_eng_em_liveevent-dukega-joinnow-null&utm_term=2024-06-11&bid=65cd32e13ba21f00425b7477&uid=125645618&sid=0032K00002MsLMkQAN&lid=w7jiffffy7z4& 

15 year user with extensive products in use. I don’t mind change. The new app is a good step. Must have been a ton of work and potentially could be great. I am really struggling with lag in the interface (just terrible). Bugs. And a generally poor user experience at this point. That’s normal with a beta release and over time we arrive at the acceptable release candidate. But this is not RC IMHO. I would truly welcome an option to download the prior version as an option - somewhat like the S1 S2 prior. I feel that I have been forced into a situation that could have been avoided and would have been happy to remain truly content as I was prior to this moment. It’s disappointing to say the least. I am now faced with this or using AirPlay to drive 11 zones across a personal library and multiple streaming services - alongside all family and guest users of my systems. Please do offer an alternative until the app is polished enough to pass muster as this clearly seems to be alienating current and potential future users.

Dear Sonos

please revert to a previous version of the Sonos app. This new version does not work… is not intuitive and frankly makes me think I need to change providers.

By the way my 90 year old American mother in law is beside herself in frustration with your update .. and thinking the same..

The CEO of Sonos is a complete m**** and clearly needs to be fired!!’ 
not did he authorize the raise of a completely useless app, while removing the old app that was at least functioning! But he doubled down and told Sonos users that they are too stupid and just don’t know what they have with the new app, that doesn’t work at all!!!

He clearly needs to be fired without compensation! Sonos flat out sucks under his failure!!!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Regarding the new Sonos app you state:

“For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.”

I can only say that you have **massively failed**! Until the release of the new iOS app I have been a happy Sonos user for 10 years with Sonos equipment in 4 rooms of my home. The most annoying problems with the new app is

• The app frequently fails to connect to my system issuing a message like “something went wrong”. 
  • The connection with the Sonos speakers is so slow that it is very difficult to change the volume: Lower the volume in the app and nothing happens. And nothing happens. And nothing happens. Then something happens but probably not what you expected since the volume was lowered 3 times instead of once due to the lag in speaker response.
  • Several clicks is necessary in order to start a stream, this is not “faster access to music”.

To be honest, if the Sonos App had been like the current one when I bought my first Sonos speaker I would never had invested in more of your brand and instead put my first units in the trash bin.

“Massively failed” is a pointed attribute of what resulted. Does management of Sonos actually believe the words their PR people no doubt wrote?

If any of our portfolio companies engaged in this sort of prolonged idiotic theatre, management would have been changed long ago

The new App is total garbage and there has been minimal effort to fix it. It’s astounding that this was released by a professional company. A complete and total fail.