Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Count me in too.  Arc. Sub 2*play 3s.  

josh

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m looking for someone to try and replicate my troubleshooting success. For context, I upgraded my play bar to an arc a couple weeks ago. All was good for 2 days then I started experiencing the sub/surround dropouts frequently when switching audio codecs or HDMI sources. Power cycling the ARC was the most reliable way to bring everything back temporarily. I never experienced any out of sync issues. I read an HDMI troubleshooting tip that suggested it was important to establish the ARC/eARC HDMI connection from the tv to the soundbar before other connections for stability. With nothing to lose, I gave it a try. My process was as followes and I’ve been stable for around 10 days getting full atmos when available and switching codes frequently without a single dropout. 

1. Physically unplug everything from power and unplug all HDMI cables, both ends (router,tv,Sonos equip, all source devices)
  2. When connecting and powering on, do so sequentially and give time to stabilize between steps obviously
  3. Power on router
  4. Power on TV
  5. Plug soundbar into tv via ARC/eARC port
  6. Power on soundbar and play content from a variety of audio codecs
  7. Power on remaining Sonos equip (subs/surrounds) and play content from a variety of audio codecs
  8. Plug in your most used source device (ex. Apple TV) via HDMI and then power on device

That seems to have fixed things for me. I left all eARC/ Atmos/passthrough settings ‘on’ for all devices (ie no settings compromises to mask the issue). I left all other source devices unplugged for several days until I felt the issue was resolved but have plugged in additional devices since and everything is still working. I know others have tried ‘rebuilding’ their systems without success but I’m not sure if anyone has severed all HDMI connections and restarted with the sound bar first. If it hadn’t worked for me I would say this sounds silly but it seems to have worked. I have some ‘highly speculative’ ideas on what might be happening but I’ll wait until I see if anyone else is able to resolve. If not, I’ll just assume I’m lucky and crawl back into my hole 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If it hadn’t worked for me I would say this sounds silly but it seems to have worked. I have some ‘highly speculative’ ideas on what might be happening but I’ll wait until I see if anyone else is able to resolve. If not, I’ll just assume I’m lucky and crawl back into my hole 

Interesting. But...How long has it worked for? Not to be “that guy” but I have thought I have fixed the problem about 4-5 times now, only to have it reoccur…

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If it hadn’t worked for me I would say this sounds silly but it seems to have worked. I have some ‘highly speculative’ ideas on what might be happening but I’ll wait until I see if anyone else is able to resolve. If not, I’ll just assume I’m lucky and crawl back into my hole 

Interesting. But...How long has it worked for? Not to be “that guy” but I have thought I have fixed the problem about 4-5 times now, only to have it reoccur…

Hey no worries, I did the above procedure on April 30th and I haven’t had a reoccurrence since. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m looking for someone to try and replicate my troubleshooting success. For context, I upgraded my play bar to an arc a couple weeks ago. All was good for 2 days then I started experiencing the sub/surround dropouts frequently when switching audio codecs or HDMI sources. Power cycling the ARC was the most reliable way to bring everything back temporarily. I never experienced any out of sync issues. I read an HDMI troubleshooting tip that suggested it was important to establish the ARC/eARC HDMI connection from the tv to the soundbar before other connections for stability. With nothing to lose, I gave it a try. My process was as followes and I’ve been stable for around 10 days getting full atmos when available and switching codes frequently without a single dropout. 

1. Physically unplug everything from power and unplug all HDMI cables, both ends (router,tv,Sonos equip, all source devices)
  2. When connecting and powering on, do so sequentially and give time to stabilize between steps obviously
  3. Power on router
  4. Power on TV
  7. Power on remaining Sonos equip (subs/surrounds) and play content from a variety of audio codecs
  8. Plug in your most used source device (ex. Apple TV) via HDMI and then power on device

That seems to have fixed things for me. I left all eARC/ Atmos/passthrough settings ‘on’ for all devices (ie no settings compromises to mask the issue). I left all other source devices unplugged for several days until I felt the issue was resolved but have plugged in additional devices since and everything is still working. I know others have tried ‘rebuilding’ their systems without success but I’m not sure if anyone has severed all HDMI connections and restarted with the sound bar first. If it hadn’t worked for me I would say this sounds silly but it seems to have worked. I have some ‘highly speculative’ ideas on what might be happening but I’ll wait until I see if anyone else is able to resolve. If not, I’ll just assume I’m lucky and crawl back into my hole 

I’ll give it a try. Unfortunately my tv is mounted in a way that I can’t really unplug HDMI from the TV inputs but I’ll unplug from the devices. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

alright here’s what I just tried. 

• Power down and unplug HDMI from Sonos arc
  • power down and unplug HDMI from apple tv
  • turn off HDMI CEC on my tv (Bravia sync)
  • full shutdown tv and kill power
  • turn tv back on
  • enable HDMI CEC on tv 
  • plug HDMI into Sonos arc and power up
  • plug HDMI into Apple TV and power up 

will report back after a few days 

Badge

New S2 app update 👀

I wonder if this has the fix, or is heralding the fix, as I’m also experiencing the issue mentioned in this thread (Arc + Sub gen 3 + 2x One SLs).

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

New S2 app update 👀

I wonder if this has the fix, or is heralding the fix, as I’m also experiencing the issue mentioned in this thread (Arc + Sub gen 3 + 2x One SLs).

The app is updated but there’s no actual update for the speakers 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

the issue already occurred again 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

the issue already occurred again 

Sorry to hear. This is the article I read, see #2 https://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/hdmi-arc-and-cec-not-working-try-these-fixes-4041394. Not sure if it’s important to unplug the HDMI cable from both ends. FWIW I did. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

3. Power on router
  4. Power on TV

Tried all the above plus Factory reset of each product, rebonded  everything back, even got a brand new Arc thinking it might be a HW issue, the issue returned no matter what. I have tried setting Sonos net, disabling band steering on WiFi router, it doesn’t work. Changing sources of audio is the easiest way to reproduce the problem. Till date, have submitted close to 30 diagnostics  with good and bad samples but seems no one seems to care as the development team is busy launching new range of products rather than being held responsible for breaking Home theatre systems worldwide. The best response is there’s no ETA. They are expecting us to wait with an indefinite timeline. Used to brag about being a Sonos owner but my experience has turned flip side and I have been very patient ( my issue started on 21st April) but no real solution to the problem. Hopefully Patrick Spence ( CEO of Sonos) is listening as I have decided to return the entire setup if they can’t fix the issue in the coming days.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sorry all, was hoping my solution might have helped but not looking good. After all the network/sonosnet trouble shooting that’s been done by others and the fact the offending devices still appear normally in the controller app I was thinking this was not a network related issue but more likely a manufacturer interoperability issue introduced in Sonos’ last update affecting HDMI routing of the audio stream. Maybe only affecting certain combinations of devices. Even considering how common they are, Apple TV’s seem to be over represented in this thread. Apple TV’s can be thought of as bi-directional device’s ie. you can route sound from your blu ray player though your tv to your Apple TV via arc and your Apple TV can share wirelessly to a home pod. I was thinking maybe the tv was somehow getting confused and trying to map certain channels of audio to the wrong device. Thus severing and re-establishing all HDMI connections might resolve. Like I said, worked for me but looks like not for others yet

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Had my case escalated and currently they’re investigating if it’s somthing to do with multiple signals coming over a single HDMI (I have an HDMI splitter into my TV). I wonder if other people having the issue use an HDMI splitter or if that’s just a coincidence? I my case, it’s the Sonos Arc hard wired to ethernet over ‘arc’ hdmi (TV older, before eArc) - and an HDMI switcher/splitter (Befen, no power adapter) with an AppleTV & PS5 plugged into it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Had my case escalated and currently they’re investigating if it’s somthing to do with multiple signals coming over a single HDMI (I have an HDMI splitter into my TV). I wonder if other people having the issue use an HDMI splitter or if that’s just a coincidence? I my case, it’s the Sonos Arc hard wired to ethernet over ‘arc’ hdmi (TV older, before eArc) - and an HDMI switcher/splitter (Befen, no power adapter) with an AppleTV & PS5 plugged into it. 

I don't have a splitter. Straight and standard configuration and still get the issues.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

3. Power on router
  4. Power on TV

Tried all the above plus Factory reset of each product, rebonded  everything back, even got a brand new Arc thinking it might be a HW issue, the issue returned no matter what. I have tried setting Sonos net, disabling band steering on WiFi router, it doesn’t work. Changing sources of audio is the easiest way to reproduce the problem. Till date, have submitted close to 30 diagnostics  with good and bad samples but seems no one seems to care as the development team is busy launching new range of products rather than being held responsible for breaking Home theatre systems worldwide. The best response is there’s no ETA. They are expecting us to wait with an indefinite timeline. Used to brag about being a Sonos owner but my experience has turned flip side and I have been very patient ( my issue started on 21st April) but no real solution to the problem. Hopefully Patrick Spence ( CEO of Sonos) is listening as I have decided to return the entire setup if they can’t fix the issue in the coming days.

Ohh and I don’t have Apple TV. Have a Samsung smart TV I mostly use for apps and cable TV. When the issue occurs, it’s across all platforms including Apple Music ( Airplay) as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Been dealing with this issue the past week, thought it was a network issue till I found this thread.  Hopefully they fix it soon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Not just surrounds my fives unpaired mid song 

only thing in common with my home cinema system is both have a sub 

Removed sub and repaired the fives working again 

Nothing dropped from app or network 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Here is my most recent update with customer service:

”I was just writing you to inform you we are still actively investigating this issue. I understand you are close to your return window for whomever you purchased these units from, and just wanted to keep you informed. This type of issue generally is resolved through a software push. As of now, I do not have a timeframe for you.  Once I hear something, or may have something for you to test, I will follow up with you.”

I encourage everyone to make as much noise about this as possible. It’s insane how Sonos hasn’t made any public statements regarding this bug after such a long time. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Here is my most recent update with customer service:

”I was just writing you to inform you we are still actively investigating this issue. I understand you are close to your return window for whomever you purchased these units from, and just wanted to keep you informed. This type of issue generally is resolved through a software push. As of now, I do not have a timeframe for you.  Once I hear something, or may have something for you to test, I will follow up with you.”

I encourage everyone to make as much noise about this as possible. It’s insane how Sonos hasn’t made any public statements regarding this bug after such a long time. 

I have tweeted this to bring into Patrick Spence’s attention, seems he and others who report to him don’t care once you buy the products.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I have such a sinking feeling about all this.

Userlevel 2
Badge

This issue is getting really annoying.  My surrounds and sub will just stop working randomly and then just start working randomly again, doesn’t matter the source either.  This wasn’t an issue before the last firmware update.  They still show as connected in the app as well.  They just lose audio from the arc.

I bought this system for the ease of use compared to a large receiver and speakers, but this is really pissing me off.

Same here, Sonos ARC, Sub Gen3 and two ONE SL.

Completely random disconnection of sub and surround.

How long is it going to take them?
This is a serious problem affecting lots off users.

It is really sad that the QA and support for such premium price products is that bad.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Even if they could just give us the last firmware back somehow.  At least we could enjoy the multi-thousand costing system in the interim!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Even if they could just give us the last firmware back somehow.  At least we could enjoy the multi-thousand costing system in the interim!

Appeal to all affected users to post this to Sonos twitter handle and Patrick Spence so he either arranged for refunds with compensation or gets behind his development team to fix this issue on priority. That’s the only way we can get the attention of the right set of people who might have a solution to the problem