Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I feel like there’s a pattern in all this somewhere. Just too many Apple TV’s represented in this thread. 

Correlation does not imply causation especially given the sheer amount of variation and hence variables reported in this thread with regard to hardware and the various attempts at alleviating the issue. The only constant is that it seemed to have started occurring after the initial 14.6 firmware update.

I upgraded my Sonos Playbar to the Arc soundbar on release in 2020. I preordered. No change in any other hardware since 2017 when I bought the TV. Everything has been stable and worked perfectly until the 14.6 firmware update.

As for me, I spent hours with tech support on the issue from Level 1 techs all the way to L3.  We tried to isolate the issue by removing hardware completely from the system. We removed the Apple TV, switched out HDMI cables. Went from hardwired (WM0) to wireless setup. Even tried to replicate the issue with the built in TV speakers to see if there was a hardware failure with the TV itself. No issues with the TV. Nothing alleviated the issue. 

The problem is with the SONOS firmware.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Just some proof that I have finally gone mad with a ‘wireless’ installation. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

So, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet. For me what works as a quick reset is to stop and start the wifi on the arc. 

I have it hard wired, and turning of and then back on allways gets me the sub and surrounds back.

FYI, is have an LG B8, a shield tv pro 2019 , an arcana hdfury and an arc with two subs and two symfonisk lights. 

Thanks! This works for me as well and is a much quicker reset!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

IIRC there was someone in this thread that already tried hard wiring literally everything and still had the issue

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’d love to get involved in the troubleshooting as I’m a software engineer so fault finding is right up my street but because of how my stuff is setup, it would be hard for me to hardwire stuff, start pulling HDMI cables, etc.

Appreciate the efforts of everyone else though!

My divorce is in the post apparently. 

Still mulling over: “Wife” or “Working Sonos”…...

Userlevel 2
Badge

After I enabled the Sonos assistant now only one of my speakers will randomly disconnect instead of all of them.  Yesterday my right surround stopped working but the left surround and sub still worked. Today my sub stopped working but the surrounds still worked. I don’t know what the **** is going on anymore.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

My entire system, a sub, arc, sonance architectural on an amp 2, two ones, a move, and a connect have all had intermittent drops and sync issues between all of them. The ones and move are isolated in rooms, so not a big issue but have come up as issues in the app. The consistent problems are sub dropping, and architectural speakers dropping regularly from the arc grouping. Today I found out the record player (through the connect) was also experiencing the same issue. I haven’t had any issues whatsoever for almost 6 years and since the new update have made at least 7 calls to support, submitted several diagnostics, with no solid solution for 4 weeks now. At my breaking point of ditching the whole system. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I wonder if because this thread has a post marked as “best answer” nobody on the staff looks at it 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

IIRC there was someone in this thread that already tried hard wiring literally everything and still had the issue

Agreed. But as I have an Engineers ear, I just want to first hand get in front of the questions and diagnosis process. It something for me to rule out and report back to the Engineer.

oh yeah I wasn’t suggesting you not to try it

@peterbault on the 2.4Ghz, is the Sonos creating its own network or is it utilising my own Wi-Fi network. (If that makes sense)

Both.  Sort of.  At the IP level, your Sonos devices are still using DHCP from your router.  At the communications level, they are using a private wireless mesh network over 2.4 GHz.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If it is, then just head to the surround system in your app and then into the products in it. There you should see your soundbar with the option to disable and enable the wifi.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Oh and I should point out that when we lost the sub and surrounds I went and used one of the physical buttons on the surrounds and it did mute the Arc so they were still talking to each other just no sound getting to them.

Sory to hear that. Anymore drops again or was it a one and done? Did you complete restart your system after the install? I had sub glitch when playing music and moving back and forth between my move and arc, but a complete system reboot solved it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Screenshot for ease below.

As risint says, S2 - System - Your System - ARC and then you see the networking gumf. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

My setup is 100% hardwired. No wireless enabled on any speaker, including my surrounds and sub. All Sonos speakers are their own dedicated VLAN. 

I periodically lose rear sync as of 14.6. Power cycle fixes the issue. 

Thank you - this really is closing the gap with it something to do with the HT. I am going to try and break this tonight and then I also have a diag to share. In effect, I can robustly state that Wireless or Ethernet is not the issue and focus the investigation on the ARC and elsewhere. 

You go! We are all behind you 😉 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Further digging meant they then saw there was an internal case number for this, and it was a software issue. They said to just hang fire and let the developers work on it and wait maybe call back in 2 weeks to see if there has been a software update and disable the surrounds in the mean time. 

Anyone else's heart sinking at the prospects of waiting another 2 weeks to get full surround sound back? 😥

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi all,

We understand the frustration any customer feels when your experience isn’t what it should be.

We equally understand the frustrations around and apologise for the recent communications that have led to confusion about the 14.6 update.

Please be assured that your listening experience, the sound quality, and the performance of our products is and will remain our absolute priority.

If you experience a dropout or any other issue on your system, please contact support with your diagnostic report from within 10 minutes of the drop-out occurring and we will look into it right away.

There are different reasons why drop outs may occur, and we want to make sure that we can help you.

Seeing as this topic is not resolved for those commenting, I have removed the ‘best answer’ until further notice.

Whilst I appreciate someone from Sonos finally posting in this thread, there’s still no acknowledgement that there’s an issue with the latest firmware update. That along with the tier 1 supports propensity for simply blaming “interference” leaves me with no confidence that contacting support will offer any resolution.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

No issues here with newest firmware; fully wired setup (all ethernet, all speakers with wireless disabled). Watched a variety of Atmos/MAT streaming, Atmos/TrueHD Blu-ray, DTS 5.1 streaming (Sony Bravia Core), Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 streaming, Stereo PCM 2.0 and Stereo PCM 5.1 Multichannel content last night try to break it. All good.

The long night may finally be at an end...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you guys, yes my Arc is hardwired and the picture of the app looks like a screen I’m familiar with seeing but never messed around with.  I will try that the next time I have this issue!  Probably during tv watching tonight, ha ha.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

And further, just to possibly help with the worry regarding the problem:

I was in touch with support, and according to the support rep; Sonos is aware of the problem, it has a priority tasking and is being adressed by developers and a fix is expected soon. When asked what “soon” is, the guess is that it is days or 2 weeks max. 

So, there is nothing to do but wait for a new update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

there’s also “Hey Sonos” coming soon

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone, 17 days since I opened this thread, « glad » to see We are a lot in the Same situation…

I thought my issue was fixed after removed and Added again my surrounds and sub to my config, but the problem is happening again.

As I could read, we have to wait for an update which would fix this terribly annoying bug.

cheers 

After keeping up with this issue for weeks and worrying when/if it’ll hit me, it finally has.

Sub and surrounds dropping out.

Such a shame this hasn’t been fixed yet or allowing us to roll back to a stable version. 

If you do encounter the issue again, at any point, it might help the Support Staff if can submit a Sonos System Diagnostic Report (asap/within 10 minutes) and then contact/chat to them via this LINK 

HTH

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Well, If voice control is the fix, they need to look at what in the coding would affect the basic ARC vs the SL ARC. I have the SL and voice isn't an option for me.

it definitely doesn’t fix it and even if it did they would still definitely need to address it because we shouldn’t be forced to use a voice assistant

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Just ordered a Panasonic ub820 bluray player hope adding another input source will not trigger the fault again as I have had 5 weeks of stability here's hoping 🤞

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I then proceeded with the tip from @rsint and just disabled the Ethernet, and then re-enabled the Ethernet. All sound and normal operation was restored from that point. IMPORTANT NOTE: whilst doing this, my TV went blank and then come back to life. i.e. the disabling of the Ethernet and re-enabling did ‘something’ to the TV. whilst it was doing it. This (I think) has to be a clue in the investigation. I don’t know what that clue is/means, but whatever happens during that process is something to do with the issue - directly or indirectly. And it restores sound.

I see similar behavior whenever I switch from sonos net to wifi or the other way. its the HDMI ARC handshake happening I believe

Dear lord....I am so sick and tired of hearing the "hdmi handshake" issues. This companies all need to figure this out and quick. Tired of not being able to just plug thus stuff in and it working.