Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

@Brad Porter,
A ‘secondary’ node represents being cabled/wired and a ‘tertiary’ node shows a ‘wireless’ connection but in my own Sonos setup, in the distant past, whenever I was using SonosNet STP a Sonos device has been elected as the STP root bridge in my otherwise unmanaged network.

The root bridge has the lowest Bridge ID (often the Sonos Boost maybe elected, for example). All the decisions including which ports are the ‘root’ ports (the port with the best path cost to the root bridge) are made from the perspective of the root bridge.

Path cost – A switch may encounter one or more switches (junctions) in the path to the root bridge. All the paths are analyzed and the path with the lowest cost is elected. 

So I’m just assuming a non-sonos device on the local network is elected as the root bridge… unless it’s just a matrix labelling issue?

So whilst I can’t see why that would perhaps affect the surrounds/sub dropping out. I was just wondering if switching the system to a local WiFi connection with links back to the router, would make a difference and perhaps solve the issue.🤔?

@Brad Porter 
Ah our posts crossed🤔. I now see you’ve mentioned you have tried switching all to your WiFi.. oh well, it was just a thought, as none of the matrix I saw posted in the thread here showed an elected ‘root-bridge’.

Hi @Ken_Griffiths - out of interest, where do you see (on the matrix) that the non-Sonos device is being used for STP? I am looking but must be blind!!

I don’t see any Sonos device showing as the elected root-bridge (see this example..)

The root bridge will be elsewhere in the network, most probably the router.

In x.x.x.x:1400/support/review open the /usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0 link for any SonosNet node. The designated root is listed, as bridgePriority.MACaddress.

@Brad Porter,
A ‘secondary’ node represents being cabled/wired and a ‘tertiary’ node shows a ‘wireless’ connection

‘Secondary’ simply means the node is connected to the root bridge, without any other STP-aware nodes in between. It can be by wire or wireless.

‘Tertiary’ is everything else.

Hi @Ken_Griffiths - out of interest, where do you see (on the matrix) that the non-Sonos device is being used for STP? I am looking but must be blind!!

I don’t see any Sonos device showing as the elected root-bridge (see this example..)

The root bridge will be elsewhere in the network, most probably the router.

Thanks @ratty🙏. It just struck me odd that those that were seeing this ‘surround dropout’ issue, seemed to post a matrix that did not have a Sonos product elected as a root bridge, even those with a Boost, so whilst I understand by itself that isn’t an issue, I was just curious to see if switching away from SonosNet and using a wireless connection instead might make a difference to the surrounds dropping-out. It now seems it doesn’t have any impact, but thought it might be worth exploring, just to see.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just got off an ‘escalation’ call with support. I was able to trigger the issue while on the call with them and submit another diagnostic. Tech says they can definitely see something is wrong in my diagnostics. He wasn’t specific as to what he could see.

He also advised they don’t have a lot of people reporting this issue yet because he suspects people are not noticing that their subs and surrounds are cutting out. I told him originally I didn’t notice that the subs and surrounds were dropping off as my entire system would have sound cut out incl. my Sonos Arc soundbar. I only noticed later that when playing surround content that the Sonos Arc would continue to work but the subs and surrounds would lose sound. It’s totally random.

He said he’s tagged my case with their internal note on this issue and they will be discussing it in their internal meeting on Tuesday after which they will send me an email.

So it looks like they are just in the process of diagnosing/hashing out this issue. Timeline for fix seems to be up in the air based on this interaction. Still, I appreciate their attentiveness to the issue.

Two new diagnostics submitted during call:

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just happened to me rebooted my apple tv as home hub lost device's and sub and surrounds had no sound from any source.

Had to remove and readd them to get it working 

Not had any problems with the update until now 

Guessing that they will need to do another update to fix it 

My system has been fine upto now also when i removed the surrounds I had to add them as new rooms and then the app allowed me to add them as surrounds

Before that they appeared in the app as having a problem but would not add as surrounds

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Just got off an ‘escalation’ call with support. I was able to trigger the issue while on the call with them and submit another diagnostic. Tech says they can definitely see something is wrong in my diagnostics. He wasn’t specific as to what he could see.

He also advised they don’t have a lot of people reporting this issue yet because he suspects people are not noticing that their subs and surrounds are cutting out. I told him originally I didn’t notice that the subs and surrounds were dropping off as my entire system would have sound cut out incl. my Sonos Arc soundbar. I only noticed later that when playing surround content that the Sonos Arc would continue to work but the subs and surrounds would lose sound. It’s totally random.

He said he’s tagged my case with their internal note on this issue and they will be discussing it in their internal meeting on Tuesday after which they will send me an email.

So it looks like they are just in the process of diagnosing/hashing out this issue. Timeline for fix seems to be up in the air based on this interaction. Still, I appreciate their attentiveness to the issue.

Thanks for the update @Nylon. We are in the hands of Sonos on this one.

Shame they cannot meet on Monday to discuss! My movie nights are severely impaired!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

He could see that something was wrong with your diagnostics? Weird. When I talked to the support, they said that everything looks fine even though there was no sound from the rear/sub. But at least it’s a progress.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I was able to pull the network charts as previously posted. I think the first chart shows when the surround/subs have dropped off and the second chart shows fully functional system after a fresh reboot of my Sonos Arc soundbar. I may be wrong as I don’t understand what these charts indicate. In my case my Sonos Arc is hardwired to ethernet and the surrounds and sub are therefore on the Sonos subnet. Only the soundbar needs to be rebooted for full functionality to be restored.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I was able to pull the network charts as previously posted. I think the first chart shows when the surround/subs have dropped off and the second chart shows fully functional system after a fresh reboot of my Sonos Arc soundbar. In my case my Sonos Arc is hardwired to ethernet and the surrounds and sub are therefore on the Sonos subnet. Only the soundbar needs to be rebooted for full functionality to be restored.

Just reported mine I had to remove them and readd them to get it working but will reboot my arc next time it happens as my setup is same as yours 👍

I was able to pull the network charts as previously posted. I think the first chart shows when the surround/subs have dropped off and the second chart shows fully functional system after a fresh reboot of my Sonos Arc soundbar. In my case my Sonos Arc is hardwired to ethernet and the surrounds and sub are therefore on the Sonos subnet. Only the soundbar needs to be rebooted for full functionality to be restored.

Those matrix charts don’t indicate any problem.

In the first the home theatre satellites are on 5GHz from the Arc, which is correct when the Arc is playing.

In the second the satellites are on 2.4GHz from the Arc, which is correct when the Arc is idle. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just reported mine I had to remove them and readd them to get it working but will reboot my arc next time it happens as my setup is same as yours 👍

I edited my original post. Just an FYI I’m not sure if these charts show anything of value as currently all my speakers are working but the chart has reverted to the 1st one i.e. the one I took after the subs and surrounds had initially dropped off.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Those matrix charts don’t indicate any problem.

In the first the home theatre satellites are on 5GHz from the Arc, which is correct when the Arc is playing.

In the second the satellites are on 2.4GHz from the Arc, which is correct when the Arc is idle. 

Yup, I posted just after you. Thanks for confirming the charts don’t indicate anything of value re this issue in my case.

Userlevel 7

It finally happened… I just lost my Sub and surround audio tonight. I was listening to an album on Blu-ray on my Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup in multichannel PCM 5.1. It worked fine for a few songs. Then I went to the disc menu and restarted the album and the Sub and surround audio was gone. I had to power cycle the Sub and Play:1s to fix it. This is the first time this has ever happened since I’ve had my Arc setup (since August 2020). 10 days ago, I experienced a delay from my surrounds for the very first time too while watching YouTube videos.

@Corry P There is definitely something not right and it can’t just be a coincidence that others are experiencing the same issues at the same time.

UPDATE: I lost the Sub and surrounds three times in one night.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Lost my subs again. This time it was shortly after enabling “Input Signal Plus” for HDMI 3 (ARC) port on my Samsung S95B TV. It’s crazy how we have so many diagnostics recorded with this bug active and the communication has been lackluster since Corry retracted his initial statement.

Most recent diagnostic: 114012412

Userlevel 2
Badge

Reproduced the bug again, this time it was triggered by toggling Dolby Atmos several times through my Samsung TV (Sound > Expert Settings > Dolby Atmos)

Diagnostic: 457472945

Userlevel 2
Badge

Interesting note about this bug: when it occurs, if you disable your subs through the Sonos app, the bass signal is processed by the Arc as if you have no subwoofer. When you enable the sub again, the bass signal is lost again without any bass being reproduced by the Arc. 

It seems that this bug ends up blocking the bass signal from reaching the subs and essentially discards it. But it is restored to the Arc if subs are disabled in the app while the bug is active.

@Corry P you might find this information useful.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

10 days ago, I experienced a delay from my surrounds for the very first time too while watching YouTube videos.

Yes, I have observed that issue as well, although not as much as the loss of rear and sub sound.

Really feels like the ARC is struggling to process the sound and communicate it out in a timely fashion. I certainly cannot see any network congestion on my side. During this issue I have moved all the networking devices together, created a segregated network so I have a more ‘ring-fenced’ network. It has made no difference, but at least it has helped on a journey of elimination.

I rebooted everything last night and watched a Disney+ film for 45 minutes (Dolby Atmos) and the sound was consistent. I then moved to Netflix and played a 5.1 movie and the rears and sub went dead from the get go. (Although I did notice that some bass was being sent to one sub, but it was flabby, unrefined and horrid).

Worth reiterating, I have also had occasions that when the sound is not working for rears/sub, and I keep playing the movie, the rears have started to crackle and stutter and then come back to life. Again this is rarer than the other symptoms, but it might be helpful in understanding remediation. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Last night after having the issue and fixing it I decided to power recycle the arc, this caused the issue to return 

I removed and readded the sub and the surrounds returned as well without doing anything else 

This morning all still working so I will just readd the sub as a temporary fix when it happens again 

Hopefully they will do an update soon to fix the problem 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Last night after having the issue and fixing it I decided to power recycle the arc, this caused the issue to return 

I removed and readded the sub and the surrounds returned as well without doing anything else 

This morning all still working so I will just readd the sub as a temporary fix when it happens again 

@skullc - is it still working throughout today since you removed and re-added the subs + surrounds? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@skullc - is it still working throughout today since you removed and re-added the subs + surrounds? 

Yes so far so good 

The latest fix I did was remove and readd the sub the surrounds reappeared without doing anything 

The first time I got the fault was rebooting the apple tv not switching sources I haven't had the issue doing that 

Same issue, since 14.6 my sub disconnects and rear speakers too!! Before 14.6 everything work flawlessly. This is an issue with your update!!! Please fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter on a side note my bedroom beam and surrounds have not had the issue 

Also I have 2x fives with a sub that seem ok as well 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yes so far so good 

The latest fix I did was remove and readd the sub the surrounds reappeared without doing anything 

The first time I got the fault was rebooting the apple tv not switching sources I haven't had the issue doing that 

Unfortunately the issue will come back eventually