Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Interesting note about this bug: when it occurs, if you disable your subs through the Sonos app, the bass signal is processed by the Arc as if you have no subwoofer. When you enable the sub again, the bass signal is lost again without any bass being reproduced by the Arc. 

It seems that this bug ends up blocking the bass signal from reaching the subs and essentially discards it. But it is restored to the Arc if subs are disabled in the app while the bug is active.

@Corry P you might find this information useful.

Quick reminder to everyone: disabling your sub in the Sonos app with the bug active will restore bass to your Arc only. Enabling it again will kill the bass entirely. This means that when this bug is active, something is blocking the bass signal from reaching the subwoofer. 

Recent diagnostics:

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

FWIW I haven’t had the issue at all since turning off eArc and setting my Apple TV to Dolby digital 5.1 via change format. I don’t use any other sources though there is no input switching for me. 

this workaround works for me in the meantime 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

FWIW I haven’t had the issue at all since turning off eArc and setting my Apple TV to Dolby digital 5.1 via change format. I don’t use any other sources though there is no input switching for me. 

I suspect when there is some sort of codec change to the audio that triggers the issue. I can always trigger it through the native Youtube app on my Sony Android TV while browsing through several videos all encoded differently.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I suspect when there is some sort of codec change to the audio that triggers the issue. I can always trigger it through the native Youtube app on my Sony Android TV while browsing through several videos all encoded differently.

Same here, it seems to happen a lot when I’m going in the YouTube app on my Apple TV.  

I also have this problem. 

I have Arc, sonos:one and Sub gen3

• Surround and sub stops working when switching source occasionally.
  • Sometimes speakers cuts out briefly, and then comes back but are about a second delayed.
  • Problem can occur when switching from TV to Sonos Radio or Spotify through the app. If it does I can remove the HDMI cable while streaming directly to the Arc and the problem will persist.
  • I have tried all delay options in the app, without any noticeable change. 

Only restarting the Arc seem to solve the problem temporarily.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think I’m probably “in” on this issue as well. I have a completely wired surround setup (Arc, Sub, two Ones; all of them are on ethernet, on their own VLAN, and have wireless completely disabled).

With 14.6 I get random slosh of audio sync; any music in a soundtrack (which tends to be in the front and rears) eventually starts to get the signature “phasy” sound of sync loss. Eventually lip-sync in the centre channel is lost.

The only solution is a full reboot of the entire speaker setup.

I’ve temporarily seemed to have solved this issue by disconnecting all my ethernet cables and just going to a wireless setup with only the Arc connected to ethernet. This is, of course, not ideal. 

Devices I’ve seen this issue occur with: Apple TV 4k. Sony A80J TV (playing from internal apps). Panasonic BD player (outputting Atomos or LPCM). PlayStation 5 (which is outputting LPCM).

I’m a little bit worried about the ‘Actually...’ post from Cory though; this is very obviously an issue that has appeared with 14.6 given the number of people seeing this problem.

Userlevel 7

I think I’m probably “in” on this issue as well. I have a completely wired surround setup (Arc, Sub, two Ones; all of them are on ethernet, on their own VLAN, and have wireless completely disabled).

With 14.6 I get random slosh of audio sync; any music in a soundtrack (which tends to be in the front and rears) eventually starts to get the signature “phasy” sound of sync loss. Eventually lip-sync in the centre channel is lost.

I’ve temporarily seemed to have solved this issue by disconnecting all my ethernet cables and just going to a wireless setup with only the Arc connected to ethernet. This is, of course, not ideal. 

Devices I’ve seen this issue occur with: Apple TV 4k. Sony A80J TV (playing from internal apps). Panasonic BD player (outputting Atomos or LPCM). PlayStation 5 (which is outputting LPCM).

Regardless of the issues mentioned in this thread, wiring all of your devices in a Sonos home theater setup and disabling WiFi on all devices is generally not recommended. The Sub and surround speakers are designed to communicate to the Arc wirelessly via the 5GHz wireless connection the Arc creates. What you are doing now (only the Arc wired and WiFi enabled on ALL devices) is the recommended “wired” setup.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Unfortunately, being on SonosNet doesn’t resolve the issue. I’ve been using Arc wired with my subs wireless and this bug still occurs. I haven’t found any solution to this bug so far aside from disabling all wireless satellites and using the Arc by itself.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Regardless of the issues mentioned in this thread, wiring all of your devices in a Sonos home theater setup and disabling WiFi on all devices is generally not recommended. The Sub and surround speakers are designed to communicate to the Arc wirelessly via the 5GHz wireless connection the Arc creates. What you are doing now (only the Arc wired and WiFi enabled on ALL devices) is the recommended “wired” setup.

Maybe, so.

Everything worked fine until 14.6 though.

Also, not recommend by who, exactly? Sonos seems to be pretty actively willing to support wired setups as long as your STP settings are correct (they even explain Sonos’ archaic STP setup so end users can make this work properly).

Regardless of the issues mentioned in this thread, wiring all of your devices in a Sonos home theater setup and disabling WiFi on all devices is generally not recommended. 

Unless the surrounds are passives driven by Connect:Amp, in which case wiring is the only option. 

Frankly, most home wired networks ought to have a sub-millisecond latency.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Regardless of the issues mentioned in this thread, wiring all of your devices in a Sonos home theater setup and disabling WiFi on all devices is generally not recommended. 

Unless the surrounds are passives driven by Connect:Amp, in which case wiring is the only option. 

Frankly, most home wired networks ought to have a sub-millisecond latency.

This.

If Sonos works over 5ghz there’s zero reason it shouldn’t work as well over ethernet. Unless your ethernet network is broken any switched Sonos setup on ethernet will have sub ms latency and effectively no jitter. This environment should be perfect for syncing surround. 5ghz is always going to add latency and connection jitter, even if it’s minimal.

I suspect this being “not recommended” is more a byproduct of the fact that, most of the time, simply plugging in an ethernet connection to a Sonos speaker will in fact cause more problems than it solves. If you aren’t using a VLAN to isolate your speakers or correctly (or configuring your STP values, or disabling wireless outright) you can end up with odd network pathing (switches choosing Sonos wireless links over 10G Ethernet ports, for example). 

Sonos -really- should have fixed their STP implementation with S2.

Also moved away from SSDP to mDNS like everyone else does. Also cleaned up the player / controller TCP/UDP port insanity. Also…

Having the same issue since upgrading to 14.6.  Occasionally when I start watching content from my apple TV, I’ll notice that my sub, play 3 surrounds or both no longer work despite seeing them connected in the app.  

Only fix is to put my TV and apple TV to sleep, then unplug my arc.  After I plug it back it, I turn on my AppleTV, which turns on my TV and then everything works.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

He said he’s tagged my case with their internal note on this issue and they will be discussing it in their internal meeting on Tuesday after which they will send me an email.

Well, its Tuesday @Nylon - let us know if you hear anything!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Update May10: After the issue going and coming back, I checked in with Sonos as wanted to try phone support rathar than chat. They ended up saying there was actually a hardware fault with my right surround and arranged a warranty exchange, and said that was that. Sadly, when switching in a 'working' surround the issue came back straight away again so another call led to them retracting that solution. Further digging meant they then saw there was an internal case number for this, and it was a software issue. They said to just hang fire and let the developers work on it and wait maybe call back in 2 weeks to see if there has been a software update and disable the surrounds in the mean time. **IMPORTANT: This is NOT anything to do with version '14.6' which is the app software version, this is actually to do with the speaker software which is on version '68.2'**... sadly not sure there is anyway for us to check this has updated though. I would advise people to either wait, or if they havn't done so already, speak to support on the phone and give them various diagnosis numbers for the issue so they have as much information to hand and can see people are having the issue.

Update May10: **IMPORTANT: This is NOT anything to do with version '14.6' which is the app software version, this is actually to do with the speaker software which is on version '68.2'**

The two are equivalent. Build number prefix 68.2 equates to external version 14.6. Controller apps and players need to stay in step.

In Settings/App Preferences you’ll see both version and build listed under “App Version”.

Likewise in Settings/System/About My System each device lists its firmware version, with the build number in brackets thereafter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Further digging meant they then saw there was an internal case number for this, and it was a software issue. They said to just hang fire and let the developers work on it and wait maybe call back in 2 weeks to see if there has been a software update and disable the surrounds in the mean time. 

Anyone else's heart sinking at the prospects of waiting another 2 weeks to get full surround sound back? 😥

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@ratty Thanks for clarifying, the support agent said otherwise so that’s good to know!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

He said he’s tagged my case with their internal note on this issue and they will be discussing it in their internal meeting on Tuesday after which they will send me an email.

Well, its Tuesday @Nylon - let us know if you hear anything!

Will do if/when I do.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have the exact same problems as everyone on this thread. Started after last update.

After a reboot, I can easily trigger the problem by playing spatial audio in Apple Music and pausing.

Often it also occurs when pausing and resuming playback on the Apple TV. 

Diagnostic number 1873195472

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For the record, I should add that I have my Apple TV set to Dolby Digital and have tried Dolby Digital Plus as well. Since I don’t have an Atmos capable TV (Sony, one generation too early) I don’t think I have any Atmos-related settings anywhere.

But even so, I get the problem frequently. So it appears multifaceted and not always tied down to Atmos etc. It seems to affect many people with different setups and the common denominator being shifts in playback format (since it occurs when pausing or switching playback sources within the Apple TV).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

And further, just to possibly help with the worry regarding the problem:

I was in touch with support, and according to the support rep; Sonos is aware of the problem, it has a priority tasking and is being adressed by developers and a fix is expected soon. When asked what “soon” is, the guess is that it is days or 2 weeks max. 

So, there is nothing to do but wait for a new update.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yeah, it feels like it has been awhile (a few weeks at least) since the last app and/or firmware update, when we’ve had a ton these first five months of the year.  Maybe a lot of focus is on the upcoming releases/announcements, who knows.   

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

And further, just to possibly help with the worry regarding the problem:

I was in touch with support, and according to the support rep; Sonos is aware of the problem, it has a priority tasking and is being adressed by developers and a fix is expected soon. When asked what “soon” is, the guess is that it is days or 2 weeks max. 

So, there is nothing to do but wait for a new update.

To be honest (and I know this might be contentious) I am more concerned about Sonos acknowledging the problem, confirming they can replicate the problem and that it will be fixed. The time it takes is secondary for me - that does not make it any less frustrating that my surround sound is currently dead, but the fact that the calvary is coming would just reassure me that it will be back at some point! 

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone, 17 days since I opened this thread, « glad » to see We are a lot in the Same situation…

I thought my issue was fixed after removed and Added again my surrounds and sub to my config, but the problem is happening again.

As I could read, we have to wait for an update which would fix this terribly annoying bug.

cheers 

Just putting my hand up to say I have this issue too. Sonos Arc + Sub + 2x Ones.