Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

I have 0 years IT experience. This POS should just work but it doesn’t. 

I have 25 years experience in IT and I agree 😊

Might this be a reason why your volume control levels are slow to respond, as mentioned in a different thread?, If the new Sonos App is having difficulty discovering your speakers using mDNS ‘device discovery’?

I’m 99% sure than mDNS and “volume control problems” are not related.

mDNS is used for device discovery: controllers and devices broadcast a “who is out there?” then each replies “I am here at 192.168.1.234!” and then the devices store than information. It is the local network equivalent to its namesake DNS.

Problems with mDNS may manifest themselves as ‘missing’ speakers. The discovery process is ad hoc and takes place more often than in DNS, but it is a very static mechanism. If a speaker is present in the new app, mDNS was successful.

Volume control problems are dynamic and relate to the new API’s use of websockets and TLS, as explained in some detail by Andy Pennell …

Takeaway: mDNS may cause one set of problems, websockets and TLS may cause a separate set of problems. Both are related to the new device APIs that accompanied the new app.

I am so sick of this company. I have now faced this issue in two homes in two countries after the “courageous” update. Nothing has changed in this network since the latest firmware updates a couple of weeks ago, yet what worked then no longer works. Three retriies, two router reboots and three reboots of the nine Sonos products in my home and this won't rectify itself. Absolutely absurd.

I resolved the issue in a way that nobody should have to. I had to separately update every “room” while unplugging the others. For example, update the Bedroom (Beam plus two surrounds). Then unplug it and do the living room (Beam, two surrounds and sub, except the sub would update only when disconnected from the other devices in the room) etc. I have owned Sonos gear for a decade, am network literate, and have never before had to do this. I sincerely hope this isn't my new reality.

Just had the update forced on me by a “You can no longer control your system using this app” message in the old app.  Gone from a working system to not being able to clear or edit a queue and having laggy volume controls. Not happy.

I’m in 101.01% agreement of your 99% assumption 😀

Oh well, Sonos Support (Level-1, 2 Staff etc.) who apparently have access to various tools and diagnostic information that may assist, are there if anyone ever feels they may benefit from their assistance. Nothing ventured and all that…

Presumably any software bugs that may be revealed from such contact will likely be allocated a reference for further investigation and fixing too. However its a matter for yourselves if you wish to report the issues you’re seeing with your own systems.

I am so sick of this company. I have now faced this issue in two homes in two countries after the “courageous” update. Nothing has changed in this network since the latest firmware updates a couple of weeks ago, yet what worked then no longer works. Three retriies, two router reboots and three reboots of the nine Sonos products in my home and this won't rectify itself. Absolutely absurd.

I resolved the issue in a way that nobody should have to. I had to separately update every “room” while unplugging the others. For example, update the Bedroom (Beam plus two surrounds). Then unplug it and do the living room (Beam, two surrounds and sub, except the sub would update only when disconnected from the other devices in the room) etc. I have owned Sonos gear for a decade, am network literate, and have never before had to do this. I sincerely hope this isn't my new reality.

I’ll add that to the list of Sonos things that I should not have to know 🤣

mDNS is used for device discovery: controllers and devices broadcast a “who is out there?” then each replies “I am here at 192.168.1.234!” and then the devices store than information. It is the local network equivalent to its namesake DNS.

Problems with mDNS may manifest themselves as ‘missing’ speakers. The discovery process is ad hoc and takes place more often than in DNS, but it is a very static mechanism. If a speaker is present in the new app, mDNS was successful.

Volume control problems are dynamic and relate to the new API’s use of websockets and TLS, as explained in some detail by Andy Pennell …

Takeaway: mDNS may cause one set of problems, websockets and TLS may cause a separate set of problems. Both are related to the new device APIs that accompanied the new app.

My thoughts were if @Gaham was encountering the 1001 errors when updating (as mentioned), then there might perhaps be device discovery issues and problems with volume controls as they described, it’s just the case I don’t see the volume issue with my own setup, as I have (hopefully) demonstrated in the attachments I posted earlier and in the one recording I have 25 players in 10+ Sonos rooms and the volume sliders are all fine.

Your post jogged my memory @Ken_Griffiths: I’ve been meaning to explain the different elements of the new API and how the separate changes can manifest themselves. Purely an FYI for the curious!

My thoughts were if @Gaham was encountering the 1001 errors when updating (as mentioned), then their might perhaps be device discovery issues and problems with volume controls as they described, it’s just the case I don’t see the volume issue with my own setup, as I have (hopefully) demonstrated in the attachments I posted earlier and in the one recording I have 25 players in 10+ Sonos rooms and the volume sliders are all fine.

“My thoughts were if @Gaham was encountering the 1001 errors”

Should read:

“My thoughts were if @Gaham IS encountering the 1001 errors”

Why would I lie about it @Ken_Griffiths?

Should read:

Why would I lie about it @Ken_Griffiths?

Not mentioned in the context of it being a lie @Gaham, I was just referring to the past tense when you encountered the 1001 update issue. If you are seeing that error now, at the present time too, it likely means your firmware hardware could be mismatched - I hope that clarifies the use of the past tense. (‘Sorry’ if my post came across to you in that way 🙏- it wasn’t my intention).

@Gaham

Also, if your Sonos hardware firmware has not (yet) been successfully updated, then that too might be relevant to your volume-level slider control problems aswell (er.. perhaps?) Although I thought you mentioned that you had resolved that (update) issue with the Windows controller App?

Should read:

Why would I lie about it @Ken_Griffiths?

Not mentioned in the context of it being a lie @Gaham, I was just referring to the past tense when you encountered the 1001 update issue. If you are seeing that now at the present time too, it likely means your firmware hardware could be mismatched - I hope that clarifies the use of the past tense.

@Ken_Griffiths I’m on the latest firmware now and that was the last time I saw the errors so very much present tense.

It would help if you would please refrain from making assumptions about my experiences with Sonos.

It is no more possible to add speakers to the system.

Android user

2 days trying 

@Ken_Griffiths I’m on the latest firmware now and that was the last time I saw the errors so very much present tense.

It would help if you would please refrain from making assumptions about my experiences with Sonos.

Ah well I’m sorry for any misunderstanding with my post, certainly not my intention, as I saw your update issue as past tense. I’ll leave it with you now and sincerely hope you are able to get the matters resolved. 👍

It’s never a good idea to watch the sausage being made. Yet here we are…

It’s never a good idea to watch the sausage being made. Yet here we are…

There seems to be plenty of sawdust in this sausage… although might need to call it a banger, not convinced there’s enough meat inside for it to pass the rules for being called a sausage in the uk 😂

Surprisingly the new app is actually larger than the old one, even though it’s still not reached feature parity. Maybe someone left the debug switch enabled when compiling 🤣

Oh well, Sonos Support (Level-1, 2 Staff etc.) who apparently have access to various tools and diagnostic information that may assist, are there if anyone ever feels they may benefit from their assistance. Nothing ventured and all that…

Presumably any software bugs that may be revealed from such contact will likely be allocated a reference for further investigation and fixing too. However its a matter for yourselves if you wish to report the issues you’re seeing with your own systems.

Sorry, it appears all Sonos software staff is now working for Crowdstrike. (See any news reports 07.18.24).😃😄😂😉😉

I became caught up in this software debacle after buying new Sonos equipment recently. Compatibility with old and new, became the issue. Inability to upgrade/downgrade S1 and S2 hardware, as advertised. APP upgrade loops, detection issues, not grouping issues, stalled upgrades, etc.  I  recognise that it is unrealistic to expect old hardware highly reliant on software to work forever. I considered more new Sonos to completely replace old Play Speakers. However, after experiencing poor technical support to the point of comical waste of time by technicians unwilling to level with me, hours trying things that were never going to work, and realising that Sonos has done little to fix the issues after 10 weeks, I got cold feet moving forward with the company. Epilogue. I returned the new Sonos products and bought a completely new Bose home audio set up. TV audio and music streaming.  I was not going to buy new Sonos products on faith that issues would be solved maybe in the future. This is a shame. I was a Sonos die hard, recommended to all. Bose is not as capable as the old Sonos system, but set up is easy, works as advertised.

So the latest SONOS device update has now removed the ability for the old working app to access the systems… you can only use the * ‘new’ non-functional app to access the kit and THAT doesn’t let you access your own local music library…

So I cannot access MY music on MY hardware using MY preferred access method.

* you SONOS. * you to hell and back you * miserable self centred pack of onanists!

Zero stars. Will never buy again. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Ah yes. Another satisfied customer. It seems there's a ‘moderator’ about the premises. One wonders whether Mister Moderator has taken note of the prevailing sentiment. It’s not sweetness and light, love and kisses.

This morning I added new music to my library but, of course, the PC controller app needed an update before I could index the changes. Fine, update done, no issues. I then go on my phone and somehow response time has gotten even slower on showing the initial screen. 

Really SONOS???

This is just getting to be plain stupid.

Why force Android users on 18 July to update from v16 and thereby render a functioning system back into a broken one?  Surely, this should have been carried out AFTER the new app is updated probably next week.  It makes no sense and causes resentment.

And… if it was necessary then issue a statement to that effect.

not sure which is worse, the update itself, or the continuing inability to address the issues. I don’t know anyone with a Sonos system who isn’t in disbelief. the value proposition was very simple, good sound, whole home, and easy to use. Failing 2/3 now, which means you can’t enjoy the first. I’m waiting for the advice to string ethernet...

Using Spotify to play music direct to my speakers now as Android app now longer functions without the update

I'd sell my 4 speakers on eBay but they are effectively worthless 

At least it's revealed Sonos to be another self centred profit driven waste of space company with zero regard for it's customers that seems to be the default setting for businesses these days