Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Yep @Ken_Griffiths me too over the weekend to last night on both Android phone and tablet apps. Then this morning 💥...

As I say PC is fine and showing up to date so a strange overnight (backend) phenomenon... 🤷🏼‍♂️

The app randomly not working for basic functionality is expected behaviour. 

If it works in the pc app or SonoPhone you know it’s the pos new app. 

Yep @Ken_Griffiths me too over the weekend to last night on both Android phone and tablet apps. Then this morning 💥...

As I say PC is fine and showing up to date so a strange overnight (backend) phenomenon... 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just quickly tried it again - it’s still okay here. It might be different though as I’m in the UK so you may need to find someone check these things wherever you are - it might be the server is down/getting things ready for an update, perhaps?🤔 

Hang on, your assertion is that if the app plays back music that it is working as it should? Forget widget, forget playback controls, forget previous such features? Strange angle 

• Sonos do not make a widget for my main iOS controllers - I don’t think they ever have?
  • Playback controls working here are IIRC - play now, play next, add to end of queue, replace queue - yep I’m sure they’re all there.
  • I’ve not forgotten the previous features - I’m waiting patiently, but I’m not too bothered about library search at this stage. I miss the queue management more. It’s a speaker system controller - lots of bigger things in the World to concern myself with - so nope it’s not a ‘strange angle’ at all.

I beg to differ.  I have a large library of music, from tapes, records and CD which i have diligently digitised.  They are all in a folder on an external disc which is plugged in to my router.  This is the music i play.  I bought a set of Sonos speakers because they were a) wireless, b) could all be controlled from an app on my phone, regardless of where i was in the house and c) others in the house could play what they wanted in the room they were in without affecting my experience.  That seems like a simple enough expectation; play my music on my speakers in my house, the way i want.  Since the infamous update i can't do that.  To me that is a complete failure on the part of Sonos to meet the simplest expectations of a customer who bought their products as advertised.  If that was the plan and it is all going smoothly - from their perspective, they should be sued for this kind of disregard for customers.  

I have a locally held library here too 25.697 tracks at last count - it’s never stopped working here and has been available in the new Sonos App since the early May release. That’s perhaps partly because I read the attached notification that was sent out by Sonos in April, and the emails from them too about SMBv1/HTTP shares being obsoleted and that only SMBv2 (or higher) shares would work with the new App, well actually that’s not entirely the case as the SMBv1 issue in particular was widely discussed at the time of the S1/S2 split (August 2020) so my library had been prepared for the recent changes some time ago.

Anyhow the library has always worked fine here as the screen-capture attached perhaps shows too.

Hi Ken, Good post and attachments.  I never really tried clicking on my Music Library tab on my IOS app (which has been working all along). The last time I did this was using the Windows Controller. So you gave me a good idea. And I do remember seeing that notification about the SMBv1 protocol support but can’t locate it.

There are times when I’m playing a song and I’m in the Now Playing window, that I click on the little playlist icon in the lower left portion of the window. And when I do this, there are times I get “something went wrong” and no songs appear. When that happens, I figure that my network NAS drive might be a little busy so if I just close the window and repeat the same operation again, then it will work. So, I could be experiencing one of those “local Issues” that you have spoken about, since I am running an almost 10 year old WD My Cloud (with the mechanical discs). Eventually, I’ll have to replace this NAS with a newer SSD one before it dies. I know it’s the drive because I have my financial Excel spreadsheets on that drive and sometimes when I try to open a file when in Excel, it tells me it can’t find it and I just repeat the process and the file opens. So, for users who are reading this, maybe the newer app is more sensitive or finicky, and it’s hard to figure if you need to make some adjustments in your local network to accommodate it. I know we never had these issues with the older app. And I do get a large one second lag when stopping or pausing a song. But I can’t wait to be able to search my playlists and find a song and play it, and then when existing the Now Playing window, to go back to that song and not to the top of the playlist. Who knows, maybe this week. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sonos-nasdaq-sono-investor-three-111034048.html

and see article there:

Sonos (NASDAQ:SONO investor three-year losses grow to 58% as the stock sheds US$109m this past week.

Where is my surprised face? Idiots who thought the artificial pandemic stock price increases in tech companies would continue once the pandemic ended lost money. 🤦

And from the same article 5 year investors have seen growth and the prediction for the next 3 years is growth above the predicted US average.

Did you actually read the article and linked forecasts or just like the clickbait headline?

Yes, I read about past performance and future predictions. Aside from what is being reported here, which may well have an effect on expected sales, I also keep getting emails offering their products (including their latest release) at a discount. Perhaps it is a good time to invest in the company if you are confident of their future.

@Ken_Griffiths UK too so.... 🤔

NEW VERSION OF THE APP NOW AVAILABLE TO INSTALL.

All safely installed this side. No idea of it has fixed anything as I don’t have any app issues and don’t use libraries…

Update just arrived (iOS, anyway) here and Local Library search is FINALLY back and appears to be working Ok.

Doesn't look as if the handy A - Z scroll bar on the right is back, however, and it remains to be seen if album artwork is working, but we do have progress!

Update arrived here. Crashes on launch! Can’t make this s*** up really.

Deleting previous version and clean install seems to get it up an running.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Update arrived here. Crashes on launch! Can’t make this s*** up really.

I’d restart your phone if I were you. 

Edit: I see you edited your post so all looks well.

Restart by itself didn’t work, but deleting the previous version seems to be OK, he says nervously.

Restart by itself didn’t work, but deleting the previous version seems to be OK, he says nervously.

That’s useful to know for others whose first foray into the app update takes a bad turn! 😁

@Ken_Griffiths UK too so.... 🤔

Probably the new update then after all .. I’m out and about at the moment, been made to go shopping. So I’ll have to update later.

Hello,
I had also updated my folder to smb2 and it worked fine. But now, as explained above, I do have access to my music, but the covers are not displayed and if I launch a playback it comes out fine but then the Android app crashes systematically. I can't manage anything any more, as soon as I restart the app it stops, and that applies to both my tablet and my phone.

See if the app update later sorts things out for you...

Hello,
A new update for the Android app has just been released. After installation, my systematic crashing problem is solved.
I'm delighted. I can simply use my system again.
I hope that the next updates will make the covers appear with the Android app as they do now with the Windows PC app. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to be patient!

Installed across 3 Android devices, library search was available immediately on update on the phone, across 2 identical tablets 1 needed a reinstall before it was available, the second is being stubborn and refusing to show it across reinstall/restart at the moment - all on same app version, network ect ect.

Laggy volume seems slightly improved at first impression too…

No cover art and home screen still failing to populate iconography post initial load (which can still be slow) and I am sure local library search will appear at some point on the 2nd tablet…

Initial impressions are of a definate improvement 🤞👍

Local library search is working but the Scan for New Content button gives no indication of anything happening 🤔

Just to confirm, all of this relates to content stored on a local server, not Sonos playlists; is that correct? 

Just to confirm, all of this relates to content stored on a local server, not Sonos playlists; is that correct? 

Correct.

Local library search is working but the Scan for New Content button gives no indication of anything happening 🤔

Given how sketchy app's been, I'd update library via Windows/Mac using desktop. I did that as soon as soon as I updated to 16.3 on my Win laptop yesterday and the libraries were there ok today when I out this update on phone 30 mins ago. 

Android... 

App installed from Google Play, as app update on native app (android) told system up to date which it patently wasn't.

It's fixed the crash, that's all. 

Recents/Favs still disappear after a few secs plus all features such as queue edits, Hi-res labels, album art from lib etc.

Haven't tried ipad or iphone yet. 

Music Library search function is good on my iPhone (an XR, so not a recent model), but is not ok  on my iPad (version 3 of iPad Air.) “Something went wrong” … Not enormously fussed as I don’t generally search my local music library; the still missing A-Z scroll bar would suit me better. However, it is irritating that it doesn’t work for me.

Hello,

Since todays update of both app and speakers firnware, now all album compilations are broken on music library. Regardless of the setting, now all tracks are showed as an independent album. Before update, this was working fine.

My OS is Android.

Anyone else with the same?

Hello,

Since todays update of both app and speakers firnware, now all album compilations are broken on music library. Regardless of the setting, now all tracks are showed as an independent album. Before update, this was working fine.

My OS is Android.

Scroll down this thread. Towards the end, it seems the compilation issues still remain, although as I understand it, I believe as this was reported quite late (i.e. after last week’s firmware update) it won’t have made it into this latest app update. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/music-library-compilation-issue-under-new-16-3-firmware-6899802?postid=16773856#post16773856

Hello,

My OS is Android.

Scroll down this thread. Towards the end, it seems the compilation issues still remain, although as I understand it, I believe as this was reported quite late (i.e. after last week’s firmware update) it won’t have made it into this latest app update. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/music-library-compilation-issue-under-new-16-3-firmware-6899802?postid=16773856#post16773856

Wow, thank you very much.

There's a lot of “noise” and is not easy to distinguish when a problem is due the app or firmware update. I updated today the app and firmware hoping the album art issue was solved and I realized the problem with album compilations.

Guys what is this product?

I have not this product!

How can I add back my Sonos speakers?

They cannot connect 

So there was a new wrinkle in the Windows controller app this morning. I opened the app to find under Music Sources that Music Library was gone and the connection to MediaMonkey was no longer on the list of sources.

Seriously???? 

I added the shared folder back in and then had to go into MediaMonkey and turn the option back on for Sonos in Media Sharing. It appears they changed the way they sent their connection request.

Enough of this already. Just fix what is actually still broken instead of “improving” things.