Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Hi @press250  

Hi @Corry P, I am literally on hold with support to report the bug detailed here …

… but I may need to head to a scheduled lunch before I get to the front of the queue. Can you submit a bug report for this issue impacting many Android users?

There is a ticket for this issue already. It seems to be that if the selected speaker has a Music Library track loaded as the current track, the app will exit. The easiest fix seems to be to reboot the last speaker that played Music Library, though it can also be fixed using a different controller to change the queue, if that is easier.

My Sonos system has gone from bad to worse today. I have a Windows controller and Samsung S21 Android mobile. 

Before today (18 July) I had a functioning system with the old Android app v16 but now it will not work & has forced me to update.  As a result of being forced to update…

My custom radio stations are missing (again).

The old TuneIn service has been removed and I cannot re-add it.

The new TuneIn service does not include any of my custom radio stations.

I had a 3-speaker group which includes a Roam but now the Roam is missing from the group, I can’t add it back in (unable to connect) although it does play on its own. Edit: I updated the Windows 10 controller and the Roam now back in the group & playing. (Yes!)

When attempting to play music from My Library the android app crashes and will not start again until I clear the queue via the Windows controller.

Unbelievably poor from Sonos.

I found a link to ‘sonos on the web’ via safari on my ipad pro. It asked me to sign in, which I did. Lo and behold, my playlists appear. Just one teeny weeny problem… shortly after that, the whole shebang froze.

Seriously. Is it supposed to be this difficult to access and listen to recorded music? It makes me long for the days when you could just drop an LP on a turntable or pop a silver platter in a CD player and music would spring forth from your loudspeakers. That was a whole lot easier and reliable than this nonsense.

If my old stereo components, CDs and vinyl records weren’t all shoved away in storage, that’s the solution I’d adopt right this minute. 

If your having trouble finding playlists on your phone, I found that if you use the desktop controller (I have Mac) you can locate your playlists and add them to ‘Sonos Favorites’ and then they show up on you phone under Sonos Favorites… Playlist.  Not ideal but gets it working again from your phone.

This works on my iphone as a work around.  But SONOS severely limits the number of favorites.

Just got back from a weeks vacation and found my sonos system crashing repeatedly on both android and windows units.  It barely worked before I left but now the app loads only for a second or two then disappears.  I have a total of 14 speakers that have been reduced to expensive paperweights.  After chats and waiting in line on the phone produced no improvement I am at a loss …..Some have been saying something about clearing cache, music queue but how do you do that if the app wont load?

I just want it to work….I guess I'll pull out the old Bluetooth speakers and wait for sonos to hire someone that can write code

Hi @s.pollack, here’s the story on the latest snafu …

… I suggest you start by updating the Windows desktop app. That will enable you to clear the queues. Supposedly the mobile apps will get an update on Monday and we’re all praying that fixes the bug that crashes the Android app for many of us.

Taking the risk of tempting fate and posting a success story, well 90% success. After some 3 weeks, an entirely new Mesh router system, and a fair amount of trial and error I’ve finally got a reasonably stable Sonos system back up and running complete with NAS based music library, turntable  and various streaming services, some 13 Sonos products in total. It shouldn’t be this hard or need a PhD in network engineering. I say reasonably stable, as that best describes the random wobbles that seem to happen from music suddenly stopping, the dreaded “Something went wrong” error message in the app, to the app just hanging or only partially loading playlists etc. However, I can play music again and what’s more CD Quality lossless with Apple Music.

What made the biggest difference? Without doubt, the new WiFi 6E Mesh router system and effectively rebuilding my entire Sonos system from scratch with each speaker tied to a specific node. Had countless glitches along the way as products would join the system but not be registered, some needed several factory resets to get them to connect at all and so on. However, I was unable to get a stable system with my old routers and/or Sonos Net, though they had both worked fine before the May update. Of course, WiFi 6E isn’t needed for Sonos, but going from two nodes to three definitely seemed to make a big difference by getting a good strong signal to all the rooms where we have Sonos speakers.

Well, having updated firmware and fallen foul of the forced app update, queues remained playing fine on Android (tablet and phone) apps.

However, without any warning... app is now crashing out consistently on both devices. Haven't tried the workaround yet as I want to keep listening to current queue but will at some point.

Just goes to show even stuff that works can go from fine (ish) to 💩 in the new courageous Sonos world without anything changing from the user PoV!

Be very careful @Ken_Griffiths , the gremlins are out on the prowl and are coming to get you... 😅😂🤣

Well, having updated firmware and fallen foul of the forced app update, queues remained playing fine on Android (tablet and phone) apps.

However, without any warning... app is now crashing out consistently on both devices. Haven't tried the workaround yet as I want to keep listening to current queue but will at some point

Hi @User117655, here’s a ‘splainer on the latest snafu impacting many of us using the Android app …

Thanks @press250 , like I said I will try this but for the moment it is PC client only as I need the que tonight! 

👍

However, without any warning... app is now crashing out consistently on both devices. Haven't tried the workaround yet as I want to keep listening to current queue but will at some point.

Just goes to show even stuff that works can go from fine (ish) to 💩 in the new courageous Sonos world without anything changing from the user PoV!

Be very careful @Ken_Griffiths , the gremlins are out on the prowl and are coming to get you... 😅😂🤣

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ @User117655 - I seem to be okay, so far. I’m lucky enough to have several different controllers Android/iOS/Windows etc. so it’s usually a case that one or more of those ‘remotes’ will work. I also use Alexa/SVC, Direct Control, TV Apps, Plexamp, Soro and lots of other things here to keep the music playing on Sonos. All these things I mention may have ‘gremlins’ appear following updates from time to time, so I guess it’s a good thing to perhaps not keep all the eggs in one basket.

. Of course, WiFi 6E isn’t needed for Sonos, but going from two nodes to three definitely seemed to make a big difference by getting a good strong signal to all the rooms where we have Sonos speakers.

I’m curious if you noted the signal strength before and after the update? 

After some 3 weeks, an entirely new Mesh router system, and a fair amount of trial and error I’ve finally got a reasonably stable Sonos system back up and running…

Now that right there is what you call a user-friendly, plug and play consumer product! No doubt the Sonos PR folks can put that kind of ‘satisfied customer’ testimonial to work and generate millions in sales.

Yeah, I have some feedback, in the wake of today’s forced update to the new version/blocking of old versions of the app (on Android):

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

. Of course, WiFi 6E isn’t needed for Sonos, but going from two nodes to three definitely seemed to make a big difference by getting a good strong signal to all the rooms where we have Sonos speakers.

I’m curious if you noted the signal strength before and after the update? 

Don’t know how accurate or useful but using my iPhone the old system was typically giving an RSSI of around -70 dBm in the Bedroom where the signal was at its weakest on 2.4 GHz, borderline at best. New Mesh system gives an RSSI of -45 dBm on 5 GHz largely because there is now a Mesh node in the room directly underneath where the Sonos speakers sit.

Hi @press250  

Hi @Corry P, I am literally on hold with support to report the bug detailed here …

… but I may need to head to a scheduled lunch before I get to the front of the queue. Can you submit a bug report for this issue impacting many Android users?

There is a ticket for this issue already. It seems to be that if the selected speaker has a Music Library track loaded as the current track, the app will exit. The easiest fix seems to be to reboot the last speaker that played Music Library, though it can also be fixed using a different controller to change the queue, if that is easier.

This is not a “fix”, it is a terrible workaround. Some of us actually *want to play music from our libraries*.

Hi @press250  

This is not a “fix”, it is a terrible workaround. Some of us actually *want to play music from our libraries*.

That’s simply just a ‘play on words’ and clearly it is a suggested workaround until the matter has been resolved by the bug-report ‘ticket’. No doubt an update will follow. There are plenty of other Apps that will play an SMBv2 (or higher) shared library tracks to Sonos devices.

I am so sick of this company. I have now faced this issue in two homes in two countries after the “courageous” update. Nothing has changed in this network since the latest firmware updates a couple of weeks ago, yet what worked then no longer works. Three retriies, two router reboots and three reboots of the nine Sonos products in my home and this won't rectify itself. Absolutely absurd.

@Toolio,

It appears it’s some kind of connection issue according to this link…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-1001-when-updating-sonos

Maybe make sure the products are present in the system area of the new Sonos App, before attempting their update. If necessary bring them closer to the router or cable them (temporarily) if they prove really stubborn. Hope you can sort it. 👍

I am so sick of this company. I have now faced this issue in two homes in two countries after the “courageous” update. Nothing has changed in this network since the latest firmware updates a couple of weeks ago, yet what worked then no longer works. Three retriies, two router reboots and three reboots of the nine Sonos products in my home and this won't rectify itself. Absolutely absurd.

Do you have a PC or Mac? I get this all the time from the App if there is a firmware update but the PC works for me.

@Toolio,

It appears it’s some kind of connection issue according to this link…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-1001-when-updating-sonos

Maybe make sure the products are present in the system area of the new Sonos App, before attempting their update. If necessary bring them closer to the router or cable them (temporarily) if they prove really stubborn. Hope you can sort it. 👍

Thanks. I've already followed the suggestions in that link, several times. All devices are present in the system and playing fine until the attempted update. Some are practically beside the  router and one is wired. I don't wire more than one Sonos product because more than one results in network loops that cause more problems than they solve. This doesn't happen to everyone, and depends on the networking gear.

Do you have a PC or Mac? I get this all the time from the App if there is a firmware update but the PC works for me.

Several PCs. I have tried initiating the update from a few, and from both iOS and Android devices.

Might this be a reason why your volume control levels are slow to respond, as mentioned in a different thread?, If the new Sonos App is having difficulty discovering your speakers using mDNS ‘device discovery’?

I appreciate this works with the Desktop controller App that uses SSDP ‘device discovery’ (part of the UPnP protocol) but maybe your system/network is perhaps having some difficulties with mDNS, just as a quick thought🤔? Anyhow it might give you something to explore if the next App update perhaps doesn’t fix your issue.

Might this be a reason why your volume control levels are slow to respond, as mentioned in a different thread?, If the new Sonos App is having difficulty discovering your speakers using mDNS ‘device discovery’?

I appreciate this works with the Desktop controller App that uses SSDP ‘device discovery’ (part of the UPnP protocol) but maybe your system/network is perhaps having some difficulties with mDNS, just as a quick thought🤔? Anyhow it might give you something to explore if the next App update perhaps doesn’t fix your issue.

Maybe it’s Sonos implementation of mdns/websickets/tls + their cloud. 🤔

So many people having these issues, and controlAv’s article where he talks about the problems with Sonos he observes indicates an issue on Sonos’s part  

Point is that I know that my network is fine and anyway there are multiple variables involved here if you think about the Android version, the CPU and memory in my phone, as starters. 

Sonos is a consumer product so it should work for an ordinary consumer. I have 45 years of IT experience and I really don’t want to be wasting my time debugging Sonos’ App when I just want to listen to music and relax after work 

I started my Sonos journey because it worked for my brother in law who is a complete IT illiterate, that’s the experience that I paid for and is the one that I want back. 

Glad it works for you but it does not work properly for me, that is the reality I have been dealing with since 7th May. 

I have 0 years IT experience. This POS should just work but it doesn’t.