Skip to main content

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

I agree dropped SMB1 support likely explains a large proportion of issues experienced by those who added their music folder via a network share. But how abut those who have added their folder using the “my music folder” and “another folder or drive” options (i.e. added windows/mac folder paths)? Quite a lot of people using these options seem to be having issues as well. Has Sonos explained why these people are having issues?

I believe they got rid of the HTTP sharing used in place of SMB v1 on PC/Macs for the same reason.

The problem is the mobile app. Library is pretty useless without a search function. Once again, they should have made sure they have functions people are used to, working in the new app. I setup Plex and it works ok, but is very buggy on the new app, keep asking to try again when searching. It’s nice that you haven’t been affected by this mate, but heaps of others have. 

Either way, it should not have affected the access to your local library from your Sonos MAC controller App, Sonos have not changed anything with that App.

Sure did as soon as Sonos forced an upgrade on my hardware. As I said mate, you weren’t affected, that’s nice. But others were and we’ve spent hours over the phone with Sonos because our systems essentially stopped doing what we rely on them to do. Then having to find workarounds to make it work again. 

The majority of people who lost their library is because Sonos no longer supports SMB v1 shares due to security reasons.  Since Sonos has no control over what your OS or NAS is using to share, how are they supposed to “fix this” if it is using SMB v1?  

I agree dropped SMB1 support likely explains a large proportion of issues experienced by those who added their music folder via a network share. But how abut those who have added their folder using the “my music folder” or “another folder or drive” options (i.e. added windows/mac folder paths)? Quite a lot of people using these options seem to be having issues as well; is it known why?

It’s because of what is mentioned here… in the notification that was sent out to the S2 App before the update to the new App.

Both ‘http’ and SMBv1 shares were removed because of the security risks posed by them.

@jgatie @Ken_Griffiths 

If that’s the reason it means the “my music folder” and “another folder or drive” options are no longer supported. Sonos should certainly do a lot more to communicate that. Whilst they have announced SMB1/HTTP support has been dropped, I doubt many know this has any relation to the above-mentioned options for adding a music folder. I personally thought it only related to the option to add a network drive.

To reduce confusion, Sonos could disable the two non-network-drive options for adding music folder in the desktop app, and they could add a note to the following support article which doesn’t currently mention anything about dropped support for “my music folder” and “another folder or drive”: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

@jgatie @Ken_Griffiths 

If that’s the reason it means the “my music folder” and “another folder or drive” options are no longer supported. Sonos should certainly do a lot more to communicate that. Whilst they have announced SMB1/HTTP support has been dropped, I doubt many know this has any relation to the above-mentioned options. I personally thought it only related to the option to add a network drive.

To clarify things, Sonos could disable the two non-network-drive options in the desktop app, and they could add a note to the following support article which doesn’t currently mention anything about dropped support: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Nobody has ever accused Sonos of being too clear in explaining anything.  I agree, they should have been ready for the onslaught, but it would appear nothing about Sonos was ready for this release, including the release itself. 

PS - As Ken said, you can still share a local library.  You just can’t share it using those two protocols.  In the case of a PC or Mac, you need to enable sharing and then set that folder to be a share because the HTTP protocol was being used before, which didn’t even require sharing to be on. 

@jgatie @Ken_Griffiths 

If that’s the reason it means the “my music folder” and “another folder or drive” options are no longer supported. Sonos should certainly do a lot more to communicate that. Whilst they have announced SMB1/HTTP support has been dropped, I doubt many know this has any relation to the above-mentioned options. I personally thought it only related to the option to add a network drive.

To reduce confusion, Sonos could disable the two non-network-drive options for adding music folder in the desktop app, and they could add a note to the following support article which doesn’t currently mention anything about dropped support: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Absolutely any folder can be shared including ‘my music folder’, you just have to switch to use the SMB v2 (or higher) sharing protocol to use with that share as the ‘http’ and ‘SMBv1’ protocols are considered to be a security risk - it’s why Microsoft, Apple and Google (and now Sonos) are not supporting those sharing protocols - So, as an example, if using Windows to share your library you need to switch the share to use SMBv2, as detailed in this link…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/adding-a-windows-smb-share-step-by-step-6892060

Absolutely any folder can be shared including ‘my music folder’, you just have to switch to use the SMB v2 (or higher) sharing protocol to use with that share as the ‘http’ and ‘SMBv1’ protocols are considered to be a security risk - it’s why Microsoft, Apple and Google (and now Sonos) are not supporting those sharing protocols - So, as an example, if using Windows to share your library you need to switch the share to use SMBv2, as detailed in this link…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/adding-a-windows-smb-share-step-by-step-6892060

I understand that any folder on a Windows or Mac can be shared on a network using SMB2 or higher. These can then be added to the Sonos system using the “network drive” option for adding a music folder. But the network drive option isn’t what I’m referring to. I’m referring to the first two options/pathways for adding a folder provided within the desktop app. These two options don’t ask the user to supply a network path, and as far as I’m aware Sonos hasn’t unambiguously announced that these options are no longer supported. They even make it seem like they are still supported since there is no reference to dropped support in the relevant support article (linked in my previous post). The announcement of dropped SMB1/HTTP isn’t really sufficient to inform users of dropped support for these first two options as that’s using terminology not actually seen in the app or in the support article.

I understand that any folder on a Windows or Mac can be shared on a network using SMB2 or higher. These can then be added to the Sonos system using the “network drive” option for adding a music folder. But the network drive option isn’t what I’m referring to. I’m referring to the first two options/pathways for adding a folder provided within the desktop app. These two options don’t ask the user to supply a network path, and as far as I’m aware Sonos hasn’t unambiguously announced that these options are no longer supported. They even make it seem like they are still supported since there is no reference to dropped support in the relevant support article (linked in my previous post). The announcement of dropped SMB1/HTTP isn’t really sufficient to inform users of dropped support for these first two options as that’s using terminology not actually seen in the app or in the support article.

Spot on @osm, leaving those choices for the ‘native’ Sonos music library mechanism in the desktop apps is fubar. While I recognize that the desktop apps are not long for this world, both the Mac and Windows apps have been updated in the past month. Removing the no-longer-functional native music library choices would certainly save bunches of people a grief.

Spot on @osm, leaving those choices for the ‘native’ Sonos music library mechanism in the desktop apps is fubar. While I recognize that the desktop apps are not long for this world, both the Mac and Windows apps have been updated in the past month. Removing the no-longer-functional native music library choices would certainly save bunches of people a grief.

The issue here though is the old desktop Apps still do support the old sharing protocols, but yes no doubt these will be obsoleted at some stage, but I can’t see that happening until at least the library setup and indexing features are added to the new Sonos App.

The issue here though is the old desktop Apps still do support the old sharing protocols, but yes no doubt these will be obsoleted at some stage, but I can’t see that happening until at least the library setup and indexing features are added to the new Sonos App.

Firmware v16.2 released last month is not compatible with the the old/native Sonos library sharing mechanism (aka http share), it generates the wonderfully descriptive Error 913. Leaving the appearance if “click-click” library sharing in the desktop apps when it doesn’t work on any Sonos gear is bad, full stop.

Firmware v16.2 released last month is not compatible with the the old/native Sonos library sharing mechanism (aka http share), it generates the wonderfully descriptive Error 913. Leaving the appearance if “click-click” library sharing in the desktop apps when it doesn’t work on any Sonos gear is bad, full stop.

Well I haven’t tested this myself, but I thought this was resolved by setting up an ‘everyone’ share permission on the same library folder, or adding a specific user with credentials and ensuring those credentials were used alongside the folder path in the Sonos App… as mentioned here:

Well I haven’t tested this myself, but I thought this was resolved by setting up an ‘everyone’ share permission on the same library folder, or adding a specific user with credentials and ensuring those credentials were used alongside the folder path in the Sonos App… as mentioned here:

I have tested it myself: a few weeks back in an effort to help people on these forums* … and literally a few minutes ago to verify that it was still broken before chiming in above. And I was using this mechanism for years, so I am 100% positive it is setup correctly on my Windows machine wrt permissions and the like.

Good fortune was smiling upon me when I decided to bit the bullet and switch to an SMBv2 share just a few days before the new app dropped. At the time, word from Sonos (in emails sent to some customers and pop-up messages to some others) was that http and SMBv1 shares would go the way of the dodo bird “in a few months,” though for reasons unknown that turned out to be less than ten days.

* I also reported my findings to Sonos at that time

@press250,

Somewhat similar to you, I realised that the new Sonos App would only be supporting SMB v2 (or higher), but I have been using that newer version for some years with my NAS box, but I too thought it would be some months before the Windows/MacOS Desktop Apps would be obsoleted and that (for now at least), just those older unchanged Desktop Apps would continue to support the ‘http’ share using the SonosLibraryService and SMB v1 shares (at least on Windows 10) - I understand SMBv1 is no longer available on Windows 11… so I’m really surprised that these things have been removed already. That’s certainly sooner than I expected as I understood the old S2 desktop controller Apps have been in maintenance mode for a while and were unchanged and they have always supported all versions of SMB.

I can’t comment further on this though, as I haven’t tested these things myself, but like you I did think these things were not going away for some months, as mentioned in the Sonos App notification that was included in my earlier post in this thread.

Assuming what you say is correct, I’m really surprised by this, but I did think these older sharing services would only go (obviously) when the old Desktop controller Apps were eventually retired.

In mid-June, the library search is back. Not. Come on, I want the tires back on my car.

I am amazed at all the suggestions to fix Sonos incompetence. I seriously appreciate the time and effort of everyone trying to fix this.

But this is on Sonos - they either fix it or not. There are hardware and software alternatives and if necessary, goodbye Sonos. And good riddance.

The majority of people who lost their library is because Sonos no longer supports SMB v1 shares due to security reasons.  Since Sonos has no control over what your OS or NAS is using to share, how are they supposed to “fix this” if it is using SMB v1?  

I use SMB v2 but still have the same issue

It should be working if your library is shared using SMB v2 - it’s working okay in my own case. I think your best option is to give Sonos support a call and perhaps they can sort the matter out with you. Here’s a link to call them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

It should be working if your library is shared using SMB v2 - it’s working okay in my own case. I think your best option is to give Sonos support a call and perhaps they can sort the matter out with you. Here’s a link to call them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Good luck with support Hahahhahah. It took me almost 2 hours including the wait on live chat and then they just ended it without telling me and sent a message saying I have to call a phone number. The tech over the phone was unable to resolve my issue. After I finished with the tech, I kept fiddling and at least got my library working on my Mac but not phone. Days after I got my Mac library sorted, my library started appearing and disappearing on my iPhone. 

Good luck with support Hahahhahah. It took me almost 2 hours including the wait on live chat and then they just ended it without telling me and sent a message saying I have to call a phone number. The tech over the phone was unable to resolve my issue. After I finished with the tech, I kept fiddling and at least got my library working on my Mac but not phone. Days after I got my Mac library sorted, my library started appearing and disappearing on my iPhone. 

Support times can vary, the user may not use chat but choose to call direct instead and may even be in a different country to yourself. It may also lead to their issue being resolved straightaway. There are lots of factors to consider that maybe different to your own experience.

Both ‘http’ and SMBv1 shares were removed because of the security risks posed by them.

Could you please explain this to my 83 year old Mum who until May had no issues playing her classical CD collection from a USB stick attached to the house Internet router ? 

Could you please explain this to my 83 year old Mum who until May had no issues playing her classical CD collection from a USB stick attached to the house Internet router ? 

Yes of course, simply tell her that her local library needs to be shared using a new version of the SMB protocol and if she’s using a NAS in a similar way to one of my 76 year old relatives, tell her a relative will come and sort it out for her, or will find a person that can. In my relatives case I travelled a two hour journey to see them and went into their NAS box setup and clicked a drop-down list to simply switch the share from a minimum level SMBv1 to SMBv2. My relative said they could have probably done it themselves. Anyhow I got a cup of tea and a Sandwich for the trouble and if I hadn’t have sorted it, then I’m sure one the two Son’s would have sorted it for him. Plus it’s nice to go visit them anyway and keep ‘em company for a few hours.

In the future you can change her speakers to run S1 (im assuming Sonos brings this option back) SMBV1 is still the default on S1 

In the future you can change her speakers to run S1 (im assuming Sonos brings this option back) SMBV1 is still the default on S1 

All sorted, the 3 speakers went back to John Lewis as no longer working as supplied and my brother got the money back. Such a shame.

All sorted, the 3 speakers went back to John Lewis as no longer working as supplied and my brother got the money back. Such a shame.

Not for those who perhaps get to purchase them as an ‘open box’ discounted item - I have purchased a couple of Sonos devices from JL cheaper than their normal retail price in the past and they’ve turned out to be perfect and they also came with a two year guarantee too.

Some of my old Play:1’s were purchased in that way, where users just didn’t realise they were not Bluetooth speakers - Anyhow, everyone loves a bargain.👍

For Windows 11 clic on  right on your folders music library and select( property),, (partage),,(advanced sharing),,clic on (share this folder),,(permissions),,(add),,choose (advanced),,choose( research ),,choose (everyone ),,and clic (apply)

Does ANYONE have an update on accessing my Music Library on either the desktop or mobile? 

Still getting the error message of “Sonos was unable to add the music folder”

If this does not work, does this really mean that I need to get rid of my Sonos system (11 speakers) and get something that actually works?  As I continue to tell Sonos, I have NEVER gone so quickly from loving a system (and App) to absoluting hating Sonos and their latest App!