Skip to main content

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Just downloaded Sonophone for £2.99.  Absolute gamechanger.  Can search for my music on the NAS!  That is just such a relief - instead of the endless scrolling on the Sonos app.  The room zoning is much better, too.  Sonos, unfortunately, has completely lost the plot.  It can’t get the basics right.  All we get on their app is plugs for headphones, Sonos Radio, etc.  Sonophone is simple and gives us what we actually want.  Recommended.

If only there were an Android version of Sonophone or SonoPad… ☹️

After a long protracted discussion with many people regarding this issue I have at last established the problem to me a sharing issue.  The problem was the update issue with V2 appeared to be the file sharing, I selected the folders with my music, opened properties and changed the sharing settings ie, to share, which for some reason was switched off. Open advanced sharing, share name to be  The Folder name, click permissions, insert a tick in the box for - full control, change and read.  Behold this worked a treat my Sonos system is back working a treat, brilliant!!!  Note:- this also works for CD disc’s & memory sticks.  Good luck to you all hope this was useful.

No luck for me, SMBv2 and folders set to share all but still won’t link up. Middle of June almost here, to be resolved or not to be resolved? 

And today my library stopped working again, even through my app on my Mac. What the hell are you doing Sonos. I see I am not seeing any more notifications from this forum either, so looks like Sonos is now trying to shut us all up as well. This is getting out of hand

I’m not very tech savvy but if I can, I’m going to do what ian02054 did, and replace the Sonos software with Lyrion (LMS) to play music from my NAS on my Sonos speakers.

Fortunately, the music system in my living room isn’t Sonos based. For that I have a very nice AV receiver and conventional speakers, and a Bluesound Node DAC/Streamer that connects to my NAS and pretty much anything that’s available over the Internet. The Node is great - it’s got a high-quality DAC that can play high-resolution music (up to 24-bit/192kHz) (w/full MQA decoding for those who like that) and the sound quality is excellent. Set-up is close to plug-and-play, and user interfaces on laptop and android or Apple phones are well-designed and very user-friendly. Searching, and creating and saving playlists is easy. You can’t use it to edit tags in your music collection, but it quickly scans a tagged music library and creates its own internal database - no need to keep a computer running. (And if you’ve been using Sonos with a NAS, you’re probably already got tagging software you like anyway.) For $500 it’s a great way to add a digital library and streaming to a conventional music system. For a long time there really weren’t any user-friendly alternatives to Sonos. That’s changed in a big way.

hate the new app, rolled back to the previous one in frustration

How to roll back? Any tips?

I would LOVE to roll back - but dont know how to do it! Please share 😁

Sonophone for Android.  Try using Hifi Cast.  It doesn't play from NAS but does play from the music on your phone.

Edit.  HiFi Cast will use UPND/DNLA source.  I just haven't tried

Workaround for missing/unavailable library (I’m on Mac but assume this would work on PC). Forgive me if this has already been posted - I have not read all 18 pages.

on Mac:

I signed up for free Plex account.

Downloaded Plex Media Server to Mac.

Pointed it at my Music folder on the Mac Mini. ….. waited….

Then on the Sonos App on my iPhone:

Added Plex under “Your Services”

That’s it. I only did this 5 mins ago (and it’s still processing all my music) but I can now listen to my music again. I don’t know yet if any issues will be thrown up (eg sorting, metadata), but so far so good.

Sonophone for Android.  Try using Hifi Cast.  It doesn't play from NAS but does play from the music on your phone.

Symfonium is another Android option for casting music library from network share (as well as several other sources) to Sonos speakers. Works well.

The link to my locally stored music library was deleted. Trying to re establish the link is resulting with a message: Sonos unable to add the music folder. Unable to add the shared folder….to your music library(913).

I am using Windows 11 and have Norton installed.

Not sure, BUT this seems to be ANOTHER of the many issues (see other ‘comments’ within this ‘thread’) resulting from SONOS’ ill judged system/app update that appears to be “disenfranchising” many previously committed and happy customers. 

I had this problem, and the only possible fix was by allowing a Sonos tech guy to access my PC online and tinker with it.  I’m not at all happy about the security implications of that.

Workaround for missing/unavailable library (I’m on Mac but assume this would work on PC). Forgive me if this has already been posted - I have not read all 18 pages.

on Mac:

I signed up for free Plex account.

Downloaded Plex Media Server to Mac.

Pointed it at my Music folder on the Mac Mini. ….. waited….

Then on the Sonos App on my iPhone:

Added Plex under “Your Services”

That’s it. I only did this 5 mins ago (and it’s still processing all my music) but I can now listen to my music again. I don’t know yet if any issues will be thrown up (eg sorting, metadata), but so far so good.

This should not be the way to do this. Sonos has abandoned its original user base

This should not be the way to do this. Sonos has abandoned its original user base

Sonos hasn’t abandoned anything except support for SMB v1.  The vast majority of people missing their local library just need to get their share working on SMB v2 or v3 and then reindex using the PC or Mac app. 

Sonos hasn’t abandoned anything except support for SMB v1.  The vast majority of people missing their local library just need to get their share working on SMB v2 or v3 and then reindex using the PC or Mac app. 

I’m afraid it isn’t so straightforward.  Sonos v1 relied on SMB v1, as I discovered when my Synology NAS updated itself and I had to roll it back.  Later Sonos adandoned TuneIn Radio support on their v1 hardware so I had to purchase a v2 Connect, which worked fine for a few months.  I was able to re-update my Synology to SMB v2/v3.  The latest Sonos software issue has not affected their Windows app (it can still access and index my music library) but the Android app. does not see my NAS at all.  The option to add or search for a local music library seems to have been removed.  In addition, ‘Recently Played’ has stopped working reliably on Android and the app takes longer to start up.

So overall, for me at least, my experience with Sonos hasn’t been a joyous one.  Every change they make seems to result in serious problems which are not straightforward to fix. 

All I want to do is listen to my music collection plus the occasional radio station and Podcast.  When I have assembled a system that works I do not want Sonos to keep fiddling with it and breaking it for me.  Is that too much to ask?

Let’s hope the promised mid-June bug fix sorts out these issues.  If not, I will be moving to a Bluesound Node or a Cambridge Audio MXN10.  I will certainly not be recommending Sonos to any of my friends.

You’re wrong mate, they have shafted anyone that listen music via their own library. Information on how to fix the library issues is not even easily available on their website, their techs were unable to get my library working from my Mac, I had to do it myself. Removing search functions and easy navigation though library is also a killer. 

I have SMB V3 and once in a while the music library is missing then comes back again. The bigger issue is that you an not search and create playlists

I have SMB V3 and once in a while the music library is missing then comes back again. The bigger issue is that you an not search and create playlists

I’m guessing you missed the announcement about searching a locally held library? … see here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I’m using SMB v3 aswell and have never seen my local library disappear from the new App. I have used my local library almost every day aswell, since the App was updated from S2.

iMac (Ventura 13.6.7), iPhone, several iPads. According to a Sonos rep a few weeks ago, with the existing Sonos app on an iMac, a user CANNOT call up his Music Library. Error code 913.

When the iMac Sonos app is finally updated (mid June, July 1, never) THEN a user can have his Music Library as a source and his iPhones/iPads will be OK.

In the meantime, I am using my existing 5 Logitech Squeezebox units to call up my Music Library. If Sonos does not update the iMac app, at this point, I do not care. 

I would like to thank RichardBZ for his suggestion of a Bluesound Node DAC/Streamer. If my Squeezebox Transporter power supply fails again, I will get a Bluesound. Otherwise, all is fine without Sonos.

I’m guessing you missed the announcement about searching a locally held library? … see here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I’m using SMB v3 aswell and have never seen my local library disappear from the new App. I have used my local library almost every day aswell, since the App was updated from S2.

I don’t think anyone has missed the announcement mate, I just think most of us think that is is totally rediculous and unacceptable that they would build the app “From The Ground Up” and actually release it without all the features it had previously. It is not acceptable that they now say aah sorry but you have to wait until you can search your library again and use a whole heap of other features. Pathetic performance From Sonos

If only there were an Android version of Sonophone or SonoPad… ☹️

Not exactly the same but Noson works great for me. It’s not in the Play Store though.

I will be trying to downgrade to S1 at the first opportunity before Sonos will remove the direct local control from the firmware from S2 and everything gets sent to the cloud and then back to the speakers (like volume etc.). At the moment they still support direct local control (for the old 16.1 app) but seeing what Sonos is pulling… that might change in the near future. I only want offline direct access to my speakers.

For Apple users Sonophone/Sonopad is doing the trick! Really worth to spend the 2,99€. All badly missed features in the new Sonos app are working like a charm with Sonophone. Especially the access to my music library is working very well, fast and fluent. Highly recommend!

Android users can roll back the update, ask me how. 

For Apple users Sonophone/Sonopad is doing the trick! Really worth to spend the 2,99€. All badly missed features in the new Sonos app are working like a charm with Sonophone. Especially the access to my music library is working very well, fast and fluent. Highly recommend!

Agree mate, works well for me too

I don’t think anyone has missed the announcement mate, I just think most of us think that is is totally rediculous and unacceptable that they would build the app “From The Ground Up” and actually release it without all the features it had previously. It is not acceptable that they now say aah sorry but you have to wait until you can search your library again and use a whole heap of other features. Pathetic performance From Sonos

I mostly use my own .m3u playlists, or browse the library by Artist anyway. I also use Plex and iBroadcast on Sonos, so no issue searching to find my own tracks. It seems library search is not too far away in being implemented anyway. So I’ve personally not seen this as a significant issue, at least compared to one or two other missing features.