Skip to main content

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

I have the same connection problem.  I have a very old Ready NAS DUO that I have been using for about 14 years without any issues.  After the app update It worked for about a day and then went missing.  I can see all of the files on the NAS and can play them on my desktop.  Was on with SONOS tech support combined for about three hours and they could not put a proper path in to map the NAS.  Was finally told I need to contact Apple to have them walk me through changing some file sharing rights on the music directory on the NAS. I’m not a tech guy so any help would be great.

I’m thinking about updating the NAS to something current (suggestions would be appreciated), thinking that might help solve this but this update has been such a train wreck I don’t know if that would be throwing good money after bad.  Very frustrated 

I believe the new Sonos Apps only support SMB 2 and 3.

My Nas uses SMB 2 and it still doesn't work with my S2 devices? Go figure.

Such a pain mate, why Sonos would bring out such a half assed app is beyond me

Did you use the desktop program to set up the music library?  

Do you know another way? The setup been removed from the new App. 

I have the same connection problem.  I have a very old Ready NAS DUO that I have been using for about 14 years without any issues.  After the app update It worked for about a day and then went missing.  I can see all of the files on the NAS and can play them on my desktop.  Was on with SONOS tech support combined for about three hours and they could not put a proper path in to map the NAS.  Was finally told I need to contact Apple to have them walk me through changing some file sharing rights on the music directory on the NAS. I’m not a tech guy so any help would be great.

I’m thinking about updating the NAS to something current (suggestions would be appreciated), thinking that might help solve this but this update has been such a train wreck I don’t know if that would be throwing good money after bad.  Very frustrated 

I believe the new Sonos Apps only support SMB 2 and 3.

My Nas uses SMB 2 and it still doesn't work with my S2 devices? Go figure.

Such a pain mate, why Sonos would bring out such a half assed app is beyond me

Did you use the desktop program to set up the music library?  

Do you know another way? The setup been removed from the new App. 

Use the Sonos program on a Windows or Mac PC

Looks like Sonos rolled out an app update today and I am at work.  If by some chance, Sonos has fixed this with this update, please report your experiences.

Looks like Sonos rolled out an app update today and I am at work.  If by some chance, Sonos has fixed this with this update, please report your experiences.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Current software version

80.02.03 (Android)
80.02.02 (iOS)

Release date: 6/4/2024

In this update:

• Added support for the all new Sonos Ace headphones

• Added sleep timer settings

• Added “play next” and “add to end of queue”

• Improved Home Feed scrolling

• Improved setup reliability

• Added WiFi configuration for products with BLE

• Improved battery consumption for Bluetooth discovery

• Improved ability to update older firmware systems

• Further improved navigation for visually-impaired customers

• Added VoiceOver support to read toast message automatically on iOS

• Introduced mute button on iOS

• Improved local library connectivity

• Improved Trueplay setup on iOS

• Added distance settings for surrounds

• Added line-out settings for Sonos Port

No joy here. Even with this update Sonos is still unable to connect to the Music folder on my Mac. So I’m looking for “Connectivity to local library for Mac users without additional work arounds” not just “Improved local library connectivity”. 

I give up!

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Current software version

80.02.03 (Android)
80.02.02 (iOS)

In this update:

Improved local library connectivity ????

more like NO CONNECTIVITY

STOP THIS FUTILE EXERCISE, ADMIT YOU BUILT A SH*TSHOW, AND GIVE US BACK THE OLD APP!!!!

Hi,

Unfortunately I have to say the app is a disaster.

I use Sonos speaker to listen to my personal music library hosted from a NAS but after the new app was released everything works bad.

The connection is always lost. Now I get constantly the message "an error has occurred" when I try to list songs by album or artist. 

Moreover it seems impossible to modify a playing queue.

Come on, it's a disaster. The previous one was perfect.

I don't want to sell my two speakers because I can't listen to my music.

I'm very frustrated 

STOP THIS FUTILE EXERCISE, ADMIT YOU BUILT A SH*TSHOW, AND GIVE US BACK THE OLD APP!!!!

If you lost connectivity to your local library, it is almost certainly due to you using SMB v1 for a share.  You need to do the steps in this thread:

Then download the Sonos app for PC/Mac here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

If your library doesn’t show up on the PC/Mac app, add it using the Manage menu.  After that, it should show up in your mobile devices.  If it doesn’t, close out of the mobile app completely and restart.  If it still isn’t there, reset the app and then restart, choosing to “Connect to an existing system”.  This has cured 95% of the local library problems so far. 

Current software version

80.02.03 (Android)
80.02.02 (iOS)

In this update:

I just installed the 6/4/24 mobile update. I made sure that I had given the Sonos full access to my network in my iPhone settings. Once done, I noticed that Music Library showed up under Your Sources which it had not prior to installing the update. But, upon navigating to Folders and clicking on it, I was presented with the grayish, blurry screen and the “Something went wrong” tab at the top. This happened continually. I went to our office iMac to ensure that the desktop controller worked (I had to reinstall the S2 controller to get that functionality back) and, it indeed still worked. It’s the iPhone mobile app that’s still worthless. As for the comment about using the Manage option under Your Services, that apparently only works for streaming services, not local libraries that are attached to a desktop computer.  Additionally, one post in the Community asserted that Macs haven’t used SMBv1 ten+ years so, I really don’t think that’s the issue. I’d be interested to know others’ thoughts on this point.

Manage music library on PC app is right here (don’t know about the Mac):

If you lost connectivity to your local library, it is almost certainly due to you using SMB v1 for a share.  You need to do the steps in this thread:

Then download the Sonos app for PC/Mac here:

If your library doesn’t show up on the PC/Mac app, add it using the Manage menu.  After that, it should show up in your mobile devices.  If it doesn’t, close out of the mobile app completely and restart.  If it still isn’t there, reset the app and then restart, choosing to “Connect to an existing system”.  This has cured 95% of the local library problems so far. 

So I'm in the 5% then am I, please explain then why the set of my old S1 Sonos speakers connect fine to my NAS box (Yes it is SMB 2 NOT SMB 1) but the so called better supported S2 set of speakers do not find the same NAS source when trying to add using the PC App.

Please,  please, please let me downgrade my S2 devices to S1 so this nightmare will end.

I have been getting the “something went wrong” message as well.  I have an Iphone.  So are you saying that the new update issues are worse with an Iphone?  I haven’t been able to navigate my Spotify playlist since the update a couple weeks ago.  As of today I can’t access ALL of my playlists.

What the hell?? This is horrible. I am waiting for Sonos to fix this and go back to way it was.  I loved Sonos, but no longer.  I am not sure what to do since I have 6 speakers in my house.

So I'm in the 5% then am I, please explain then why the set of my old S1 Sonos speakers connect fine to my NAS box (Yes it is SMB 2 NOT SMB 1) but the so called better supported S2 set of speakers do not find the same NAS source when trying to add using the PC App.

Please,  please, please let me downgrade my S2 devices to S1 so this nightmare will end.

I hate to call you incorrect, but if your S1 devices are connecting fine to an NAS, you aren’t running SMB v2.  S1 only connects to SMB v1, so it’s impossible that you are running SMB v2. 

Manage music library on PC app is right here (don’t know about the Mac):

jgatie… I can Manage my libraries on my S2 controllers on my iMacs, I just don’t have any control of my Libraries (or much else) on my iPhone. It would be nice to have full functionality on my mobile devices while playing music so I don’t have to run into the office to cue up music and/or skip tracks...etc. And, as mentioned, I had to delete the new Sonos controller on my iMacs and reinstall the S2 app in order to get desktop functionality back to normal.

jgatie… I can Manage my libraries on my S2 controllers on my iMacs, I just don’t have any control of my Libraries (or much else) on my iPhone. It would be nice to have full functionality on my mobile devices while playing music so I don’t have to run into the office to cue up music and/or skip tracks...etc. And, as mentioned, I had to delete the new Sonos controller on my iMacs and reinstall the S2 app in order to get desktop functionality back to normal.

Do you see the library on your iPhone?  Scroll down from the Recently Played section at the top, it will be on the bottom.  If you can’t see it there but can see it on the desktop app, double check that you are not running SMB v1.  If you are sure you are not running SMB v1, try closing out your mobile app completely, then restart.  If you still can’t see it, reset the mobile app, then restart.  Choose “Connect to an existing system”.   That should get it back.  If all that fails, a call to support may be your last shot. 

Just upgraded to the new mobile app on my Samsung S23. There is still no connection to my windows iTunes library but I can now get YouTube music and Apple Music which does not interest me in the least. 

Just upgraded to the new mobile app on my Samsung S23. There is still no connection to my windows iTunes library but I can now get YouTube music and Apple Music which does not interest me in the least. 

Until you have made sure your iTunes library is not using an SMB v1 share, there’s no update that will fix your problem.  The first step in fixing all of these errors is making sure your share is using SMB v2 or above, which has nothing to do with any updates to the Sonos firmware or app (at least not directly). 

Do you see the library on your iPhone?  Scroll down from the Recently Played section at the top, it will be on the bottom.  If you can’t see it there but can see it on the desktop app, double check that you are not running SMB v1.  If you are sure you are not running SMB v1, try closing out your mobile app completely, then restart.  If you still can’t see it, reset the mobile app, then restart.  Choose “Connect to an existing system”.   That should get it back.  If all that fails, a call to support may be your last shot. 

I reset the app.  Where I USED to see Music LIbrary under Your Sources, it is now gone altogether!  Additionally, I don’t know why Your Sources is now located below where it once was and, working worse after I reset the app.  If I’m using SMBv1, why was it there before and not now.  Regardless, it hasn’t work either time.  In my research, SMB is a Windows protocol and I’m on an entirely Mac OS environment in my house. What gives?

I reset the app.  Where I USED to see Music LIbrary under Your Sources, it is now gone altogether!  Additionally, I don’t know why Your Sources is now located below where it once was and, working worse after I reset the app.  If I’m using SMBv1, why was it there before and not now.  Regardless, it hasn’t work either time.  In my research, SMB is a Windows protocol and I’m on an entirely Mac OS environment in my house. What gives?

If by “before” you mean the old app, the old app supported SMB v1, the new app doesn’t.  As to SMB being a Windows protocol, not (really) true.  Sure it started on Windows, but it’s used by Linux, MacOS, NAS drives, really all popular Operating Systems.  Though I’m not a Mac person, so I wouldn’t be able to tell you how to fix it on a Mac. 

If by “before” you mean the old app, the old app supported SMB v1, the new app doesn’t.  As to SMB being a Windows protocol, not (really) true.  Sure it started on Windows, but it’s used by Linux, MacOS, NAS drives, really all popular Operating Systems.  Though I’m not a Mac person, so I wouldn’t be able to tell you how to fix it on a Mac. 

By “old” app, I meant the new Sonos iPhone app that didn’t work either. I installed the update this morning and saw Your Sources as the top with the addition of Music Libary under TV so, I thought I was good to go. But, it didn’t work. After the suggest reset, it’s worse yet.

By “old” app, I meant the new Sonos iPhone app that didn’t work either. I installed the update this morning and saw Your Sources as the top with the addition of Music Libary under TV so, I thought I was good to go. But, it didn’t work. After the suggest reset, it’s worse yet.

If it shows up and is not accessible, you are getting close.  Download the Controller for MacOS here:

Install and connect to your existing system.  From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings, delete the old share, and add it again.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Then restart your mobile app. 

Hi everyone...like you all, I am bothered by this given how many years and how much money I’ve invested in Sonos...my 80+ year old father called and told me his Sonos system (which I’ve created for him over the years) wasn’t working and now I know why…

check out this video...it at the very least got my home music library back and indexed on my desktop app.  It’s fairly easy to follow. After a few minutes and some patience, my music library  did appear on my phone app!

good luck

If it shows up and is not accessible, you are getting close.  Download the Controller for MacOS here:

Install and connect to your existing system.  From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings, delete the old share, and add it again.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Then restart your mobile app. 

I originally did that and ended up having to resinstall the S2 app just to get music to play from the iMacs. Bottom line is their NEW app is a bomb and a lot of people are effected. Our downstairs iMac is two years old and I doubt it’s using an SMBv1 protocol.

I hate to call you incorrect, but if your S1 devices are connecting fine to an NAS, you aren’t running SMB v2.  S1 only connects to SMB v1, so it’s impossible that you are running SMB v2. 

Sorry to disappoint but your information is wrong, my NAS server IS running SMB 2, I've just verified it by running Wireshark from my PC to it, all traffic is SMB 2.

Both my S1 and S2 sets of speakers were happily connected to the same share for the last 3 or 4 years. It's only in the last week that the S2 system is now refusing to connect. Errrrr.. let me think what has changed recently...oh yes the S2 firmware in conjunction with the sh!t new App. Not my NAS or the S1 Sonos system. 

“I hate to call you incorrect, but if your S1 devices are connecting fine to an NAS, you aren’t running SMB v2.  S1 only connects to SMB v1, so it’s impossible that you are running SMB v2. “

As a further follow up to the above statement, I’ve fully checked my NAS server it is 100% running SMB V2. Tracing over the network and looking the the SMB logs on the server. Re-indexed my S1 system after adding some new files, No problem at all.

The below statement from Sonos is Bullsh!t, propaganda to get you to trade in your old Sonos devices for new ones with scare tactics. There MUST be SMB V2 capability in the S1 firmware.

When I try to setup the same NAS Share with the Windows App on the S2 System, it's very interesting to look at the SMB logs on my NAS,  it actually connects to the share starts to read the files to index at a rate of about 25 files a second, (if it was SMB1 it wouldn’t even connect) after about 5 seconds of doing this it just stops no error from my NAS, just the error from the Sonos PC App that the Share is no longer available. This cannot be anything else than a fault or bug in the Sonos S2 Firmware. I few weeks ago this same S2 system connected fine to this share and had done for many years.