Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Does ANYONE have an update on accessing my Music Library on either the desktop or mobile? 

Still getting the error message of “Sonos was unable to add the music folder”

If this does not work, does this really mean that I need to get rid of my Sonos system (11 speakers) and get something that actually works?  As I continue to tell Sonos, I have NEVER gone so quickly from loving a system (and App) to absoluting hating Sonos and their latest App! 

Your library is “missing” for one of two reasons.  1) Your library is on an NAS and it is using SMB v1, which is no longer supported for security reasons.  Contact your NAS manufacturer to find out how to enable the drive for SMB v2 or v3 sharing.  2) You library is on a PC or Mac computer, and was using HTML sharing, which was also dropped for security reasons.  In this case, see these links/videos:

Mac:

PC:

Your library is “missing” for one of two reasons.  1) Your library is on an NAS and it is using SMB v1, which is no longer supported for security reasons.  Contact your NAS manufacturer to find out how to enable the drive for SMB v2 or v3 sharing.  2) You library is on a PC or Mac computer, and was using HTML sharing, which was also dropped for security reasons.

Perhaps.

My library is present in the desktop app (and in my own CLI controller software), but absent in the iPadOS app, and only sometimes available in the iOS app.

The S1 components of my system share the same library, and the S1 apps access it without any issues.

In the future you can change her speakers to run S1 (im assuming Sonos brings this option back) SMBV1 is still the default on S1 

All sorted, the 3 speakers went back to John Lewis as no longer working as supplied and my brother got the money back. Such a shame.

Good, get yourself some gear that works

In the future you can change her speakers to run S1 (im assuming Sonos brings this option back) SMBV1 is still the default on S1 

All sorted, the 3 speakers went back to John Lewis as no longer working as supplied and my brother got the money back. Such a shame.

But which system would be the right choice for someone who wants SMBV1 support? If there's a system out there that still supports it I wouldn't be at all confident that the support will last much longer. Bluesound (for example) dropped SMBV1 support several years ago.

Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable of Sonos to drop SMBV1 support. What they've got wrong is their communication around it, which has been awful (same for communication around seemingly dropped support for using the desktop app to share regular Windows/Mac folder paths). They should have sent emails to affected users 6-12 months in advance warning them of the upcoming change, with reminder emails as the date for dropped support approached. The emails should have included some advice on what users can do to maintain access to their library.

But which system would be the right choice for someone who wants SMBV1 support? If there's a system out there that still supports it I wouldn't be at all confident that the support will last much longer. Bluesound (for example) dropped SMBV1 support several years ago.

Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable of Sonos to drop SMBV1 support. What they've got wrong is their communication around it, which has been awful (same for communication around seemingly dropped support for using the desktop app to share regular Windows/Mac folder paths). They should have sent emails to affected users 6-12 months in advance warning them of the upcoming change, with reminder emails as the date for dropped support approached. The emails should have included some advice on what users can do to maintain access to their library.

I agree with you, they should have communicated and also provided a path forward for users. I am sure most companies will be moving away from SMB 1 if they haven’t yet. Are you definitely limited to use of SMB1 only? 

I agree with you, they should have communicated and also provided a path forward for users. I am sure most companies will be moving away from SMB 1 if they haven’t yet. Are you definitely limited to use of SMB1 only? 

I haven’t been personally affected myself. I was already using a NAS with SMB1 disabled prior to the recent updates.

I agree... the new app is rubbish.  Also i am continually becoming disconnected (none of my other apps do), i regularly get the really useful message 'something went wrong' and, whilst i have finally managed to access my music library, i am unable to update the index (the option has disappeared).

And why does it now insist on location and bluetooth being switched on.?. it never used to.  The new app is useless.  If i can find some poor sucker to buy all the Sonos kit i have invested in i will stop using it.

OK, I am up and running, and I am not sure why all of the replies were so complicated.  Here is what I did.  Please note that I am running Windows 11 on a laptop.

1. Did a search for “Advanced File Sharing on Windows 11”
  2. Lots of options.  I chose:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-over-a-network-in-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf#ID0EBD=Windows_11
  3. In File Explorer, right click on your “Music” file.
  4. Choose “Show more options” in the popup window
  5.  Select “Give access to”
  6. Select “Specific people”
  7. New window pops up “Choose people to share with”
  8. click on the “down arrow” and you will be able to see “Sonos Wireless HiFi System”, Click the “Add” button
  9. Click “Share”
  10. Click “Done”
  11. Go back to the Sonos App and the steps that got us into this mess
  12. Click “Manage” (top tool bar)
  13. Click “Music Library Settings..”
  14. Click “Music Library”
  15. Add your “Music File location”
  16. You are done!

I checked my Samsung S24 and my Music Library was there!

Please let me know if this works for users of Windows 11.  Please note that I did not have to add any acronyms to my message that most of us have no clue what they mean until we look them up!!!!  (SMB v1, v2 or v3; HTML; NAS;  We all know WTF in regards to this update!!)  Sonos tech, please feel free to add these instructions for all of the frustrated users out there.  Remember, these instructions are for Windows 11.

Please let me know if this works for users of Windows 11.  Please note that I did not have to add any acronyms to my message that most of us have no clue what they mean until we look them up!!!!  (SMB v1, v2 or v3; HTML; NAS;  We all know WTF in regards to this update!!)  Sonos tech, please feel free to add these instructions for all of the frustrated users out there.  Remember, these instructions are for Windows 11.

The solution you’re describing has been posted or linked to several times earlier in the thread. If you look at earlier discussions related to it you'll see that some people say it works and some say it doesn’t work. It’s also only relevant to those who have music folder stored on or directly attached to their computer. For anyone who has their music folder on network storage (either a dedicated NAS device or a USB drive plugged into a router) its not suitable. Those individuals do need to have or gain an understanding of network paths and SMB versions in order to get their library working again.    

Also, even in instances where it works it seems to me the solution you’re describing isn’t likely to be a long term solution. It depends on the Sonos desktop app to create a “Sonos Wireless HiFi System” user in the background. But at some point the Sonos desktop app will become unsupported, at which point even those who have their music stored on a Windows or Mac will probably need to learn how to manually create a network share from a Windows/Mac folder and add it to Sonos as a network path rather than a local Windows/Mac path. At that point, knowledge of SMB also becomes relevant.

Even if they fixed the search today (it is mid June) the update wiped my local library so I won’t be able to recreate that for another month.  Any news on anything?  Even I’m starting to get a bit fed up now.

Even if they fixed the search today (it is mid June) the update wiped my local library so I won’t be able to recreate that for another month.  Any news on anything?  Even I’m starting to get a bit fed up now.

@thirdprize What type of device is your music folder stored on? PC, Mac, NAS, USB drive plugged into router? Do you use the Windows or Mac desktop controller?

A question for the people ( and I use the word People here with some trepidation!)  given that at launch Sonos used the slogan “your music anywhere in your home” the premise of the system was that all your music was stored in one location and could be accessed from any room that had Sonos devices in. People like me have spent vast amounts of are hard earned money on your produce to achieve this goal ( in my case almost £7k ) how do you think I feel when I try to use my system I’m forced to update to a new version of the app and now can’t play any of my music on my what is now a big pile of useless electronics ??? Please explained to me in what way you feel this is a good customer service?? 

i would be interested  to ask other users of what is now just another streaming app ( and not a very good one at that ) how would they like to join me in taking out a  class action against Sonos ? 

Nothing with this app is getting better even now on the web site is say that the issues of connecting to your music library would be fixed by mid June we and now past mid June and I still can’t use my system. 

I might just as well collect it all together and burn it all and go buy some Appel HomePods. And then just to rub the customers face in more crap you release a new set of head phones I would suggest you fix what you have already broken before you try and get any more money out of people that no doubt you will do something like this too again in a few years. 
if you can’t fix the current version of your app with in a few days (ie less that 7 days) let us have access to the older version that did work the way it should, and then get your systems set up so you test your updates in house before you inflect what can only be described as some of the most defective code I have ever seen.

I like forward to your response and a full apology for not being able to play my music ! 

I have my music on my mac hard drive.

Found a way to play this in Sonos useing

iBroadcast app in Sonos and download

on mac or windows MediaSyncLite.

Its so easy drag and drop your music

folder map on MediaSyncLite and it

uploads music to the system in Sonos

Sadly, the Fixes referenced in this thread have not worked for me……but I truly appreciate people’s willingness to help! That’s more than I can say for the company that created this problem in the first place!

A question for the people ( and I use the word People here with some trepidation!)  given that at launch Sonos used the slogan “your music anywhere in your home” the premise of the system was that all your music was stored in one location and could be accessed from any room that had Sonos devices in. People like me have spent vast amounts of are hard earned money on your produce to achieve this goal ( in my case almost £7k ) how do you think I feel when I try to use my system I’m forced to update to a new version of the app and now can’t play any of my music on my what is now a big pile of useless electronics ??? Please explained to me in what way you feel this is a good customer service?? 

i would be interested  to ask other users of what is now just another streaming app ( and not a very good one at that ) how would they like to join me in taking out a  class action against Sonos ? 

Nothing with this app is getting better even now on the web site is say that the issues of connecting to your music library would be fixed by mid June we and now past mid June and I still can’t use my system. 

I might just as well collect it all together and burn it all and go buy some Appel HomePods. And then just to rub the customers face in more crap you release a new set of head phones I would suggest you fix what you have already broken before you try and get any more money out of people that no doubt you will do something like this too again in a few years. 
if you can’t fix the current version of your app with in a few days (ie less that 7 days) let us have access to the older version that did work the way it should, and then get your systems set up so you test your updates in house before you inflect what can only be described as some of the most defective code I have ever seen.

I like forward to your response and a full apology for not being able to play my music ! 

Mate, I agree with you fully. It is totally unacceptable from Sonos to do this and then not offer any solutions. I feel very much like you and believe that a class action should be the way forward. I don’t know how to go about it though, especially is all being in different countries 

I think the support article on adding local library has been updated: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Now includes instructions on creating network shares for Windows and Mac folders and then adding these to Sonos system using the networked device option.

I share your pain, although luckily I am not as heavily invested in Sonos hardware as you (Just a second-hand Connect gen2 plus a Connect gen1 aka ZP90, a CR200 Controller and a BR100 Zone Bridge that were killed off by earlier Sonos ‘updates’). 

I don’t think anybody from Sonos looks at this forum.  If they did, there would be “warning lights flashing down in quality control” and Sonos would be directing maximum effort towards finding a solution.  Their best face-saving option would be to say “Sorry, we messed up.  We are only human.  We will fix this and issue a fully-tested version in a month or so.  Meanwhile, here’s a link so you can roll back to the last working release.  Thankyou for your patience and continued support”.  Instead we get no acknowledgement of the problems, and multiple updates to the Android app and Connect firmware which fail to fix the music library issues.

Sonos need to get their act together and understand the value of their loyal customer base.  Without our support as ‘satisfied users’ they will find marketing to new customers increasingly difficult.

I think the support article on adding local library has been updated: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Now includes instructions on creating network shares for Windows and Mac folders and then adding these to Sonos system using the networked device option.

Yes indeed the adding local library has been updated but my system is full app based on my iPhone and iPad as I don’t have a pc or Mac at home so I still can not access any of my music thus I have today put my system up on eBay to sell it all and I’ve now ordered a network streaming box to install into my hifi and 10 Apple HomePods to replace this now useless pile of no good electronics I’m done with Sonos and have told all my friends to get ride is there and will now never ever recommend Sonos to anyone going forward. I hope Sonos read this and I also hope they start to loss there market share. Sorry to anyone that still has Sonos and sorry to any of you that plan to buy there new headphones remember that they have don’t it once they WILL do it again . 

Yes indeed the adding local library has been updated but my system is full app based on my iPhone and iPad as I don’t have a pc or Mac at home so I still can not access any of my music thus I have today put my system up on eBay to sell it all and I’ve now ordered a network streaming box to install into my hifi and 10 Apple HomePods to replace this now useless pile of no good electronics I’m done with Sonos and have told all my friends to get ride is there and will now never ever recommend Sonos to anyone going forward. I hope Sonos read this and I also hope they start to loss there market share. Sorry to anyone that still has Sonos and sorry to any of you that plan to buy there new headphones remember that they have don’t it once they WILL do it again . 

It is very disappointing that Sonos has temporarily removed the ability to add/edit music library from the mobile app. But there are workarounds for someone in your situation (no access to the desktop app) that could be used whilst waiting for library add/edit functionality to return to the mobile app, and that don’t involve the big expense of replacing the whole system.

Ah yes my library did appear after a couple of hours. Why I’m not sure but at least it’s there now. It did appear instantly on the new web app though. 

... and vanishes often spontaneously. In fact it isn't available mostly. 

After the latest update i have my music library back on my android phone and tablet.

Finally my problem is solved.

After the latest update i have my music library back on my android phone and tablet.

Do you have the option to “Update / Index Music Library Now”?  That is still missing from my Android app.

I'm missing that too. Perhaps/ hopefully in the next update

Do you have the option to “Update / Index Music Library Now”?  That is still missing from my Android app.

I added a folder on my NAS yesterday and today i can see that folder in my music library en can play music from that folder. Is it possible that Sonos has turned on automatic indexing now?

Mid June. Hahaha. Sonos, what on earth happened with your customer orientation?