Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Correct, but when using the computers netbios name didn’t work, the next step recommended is to use the IP address.. In my case, I tried to use my own user account which is an admin account, but that didn’t work, so the next step was to create a new username and use that when configuring in the Sonos app. That worked for a day then stopped.. 

The point I am getting at, is that all of this shouldn’t be necessary. For your average person, they will be pretty bummed/pissed off that they have to even try all of this just to use their new device.

I guess it’s horses for courses, I don’t find it difficult to do these kind of things, but my Wife perhaps would until I either showed her what to do, or she took the time to read how to do it, but in a similar vein I can’t make a chow mein or pad thai dish, but she would have no problem doing that and I’m sure I could do it too, if she puts together the recipe for me to follow.

In Sonos’s case, they have put together this link (and links off it) - see below,  to guide users through the library setup, so personally speaking, I think Sonos have done all they can… and if there is still a problem after that, then users can always call into their customer support desk.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

I have FINALLY added my iTunes music library back on to my Macbook Pro Sonos app.  I was waiting for the software update and thought I’d come on to the forum to see if there was any news. Saw the above link so I gave it a try and wow back in business.  Was a bit fiddly and realised I must have the exact name of pathway,  I’m not a techhead but get by so was amazed it all came back on board.  Thanks guys!

I’ve been a Sonos user for at least 10 years, basically for access to my music collection on my QNAP NAS. The  recent update ruined all of that. I have updated the iOS app as each version is made available, I have changed settings on my NAS, including smb and other changes suggested in this forum. I know my Sonos systems sees my music library on the NAS, but doesn’t automatically list the music library in the “your sources” section. Every now and then it might briefly show there and then disappear. Since I am able to every now and then hit a playlist for music in the NAS (most times it says “something’s wrong, try again”), after I do that, I go to my port setting and then the music library might show up (rarely) and be usable, until I close the app. Also, if I delete the app and reinstall, sometimes that helps. Most times it doesn’t. same situation whether using my phone or iPad. I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer but am shocked and disappointed by this ridiculously unready for prime time app. A roll back for now would be great. The old app on an old iPad works fine, but having to rely on an old iPad is ridiculous. Sonos - fix this already or provide a rollback until you do. 

I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer but am shocked and disappointed by this ridiculously unready for prime time app.

You might consider trying Sonophone or Sonopad. It does precisely what the Sonos app should do.

@Rkorren.

Sorry but I have quite a few questions/suggestions…

• What SMB version is in use on the QNAP NAS?
  • Did you change the NAS SMB version before or after the upgrade from S2?
  • Is there a min/max SMB setting on your NAS configuration pages and have you tried the various permutations available?
  • Have you reindexed the library using the Desktop controller App?
  • What controller device are you using?
  • What’s your current Sonos App version and have you checked for any device firmware updates?
  • Any security/blocking software running on the controller device such as VPN client etc?
  • Have you tried a different controller?

I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer but am shocked and disappointed by this ridiculously unready for prime time app.

You might consider trying Sonophone or Sonopad. It does precisely what the Sonos app should do.

Thanks. Am aware of these alternate apps, but so far have held off on spending money because Sonos is so inept. 
BTW - after my last post, I deleted the Sonos app, reinstalled and voila, my music library showed up. When I changed screens to reply to your post and went back to Sonos app, music library was gone. Amazing. Not. 

Thanks. Am aware of these alternate apps, but so far have held off on spending money 

It will only cost you a couple of dollars and save you a lot of hassle, while Sonos is (desperately) trying to repair their f*** up app.

There have been issues with the QNAP NAS boxes even with the old S2 App, at least there are a few results shown when I search here in the community. Here’s one example…

Maybe have a look through the posts from a search here @Rkorren to see if anything might perhaps resolve your issue.

@Rkorren.

SEE MY RESPONSES IN CAPS BELOW:

Sorry but I have quite a few questions/suggestions…

• What SMB version is in use on the QNAP NAS? MIN SMB V 2, MAX V 3
  • Did you change the NAS SMB version before or after the upgrade from S2? AFTER
  • Is there a min/max SMB setting on your NAS configuration pages and have you tried the various permutations available? YES. SEE ABOVE. TRIED 3 and 3, 2.1 and 3 ETC
  • Have you reindexed the library using the Desktop controller App? YES
  • What controller device are you using? IPAD AND IPHONE. 
  • What’s your current Sonos App version and have you checked for any device firmware updates? 80.04.04. YES AS TO ALL UPDATES. 
  • Any security/blocking software running on the controller device such as VPN client etc? NO
  • Have you tried a different controller? IPAD AND IPHONE  WINDOWS ON PC WORKS

Question - windows app has setting for permissions under music library advanced “fix permissions on music files so that sonos can always access them”. I’m tempted to click that but not sure what effect it will have on my music folder database. Do you or anyone know what this does?

Thanks. 

There have been issues with the QNAP NAS boxes even with the old S2 App, at least there are a few results shown when I search here in the community. Here’s one example…

Maybe have a look through the posts from a search here @Rkorren to see if anything might perhaps resolve your issue.

Thanks. Read through this and had searched QNAP in forums many times. Until the new iOS app, my qnap worked fine as a music library on Sonos for years. 

Thanks. Am aware of these alternate apps, but so far have held off on spending money because Sonos is so inept. 
BTW - after my last post, I deleted the Sonos app, reinstalled and voila, my music library showed up. When I changed screens to reply to your post and went back to Sonos app, music library was gone. Amazing. Not. 

Since I sometimes use my iPhone and sometimes my iPad, which of sonophone or sonopad is better for both? Looking at App Store, I cannot tell. Same developer for 2 different devices. Thanks. 

Thanks. Read through this and had searched QNAP in forums many times. Until the new iOS app, my qnap worked fine as a music library on Sonos for years. 

Yes but note the sharing protocol has changed and I see you mentioned Windows App fix permissions - that has nothing at all to do with your NAS box. The user and share permissions on your library folders are setup within the NAS configuration pages and the user credentials are stored on the NAS too that you may need to enter into Sonos Desktop Controller App for the new SMBv2 (or higher) shared library.

It’s quite possibly not anything to do with the library working in the past, it’s how you are sharing the library now (user/permisdions) via your NAS configuration pages and what user/credentials you have added to the (correct) library path for access by Sonos.

Since I sometimes use my iPhone and sometimes my iPad, which of sonophone or sonopad is better for both? Looking at App Store, I cannot tell. Same developer for 2 different devices. Thanks. 

Sonophone is for iPhone only, Sonopad is for iPad only.

Am I the only person on here where everything has gone back to normal and as it was? It just suddenly all seemed to come back a few days ago. I now have my music library on iTunes back in the Sonos app on my laptop (Windows 11) and it is playing as well as it ever did previously...

Am I the only person on here where everything has gone back to normal and as it was? It just suddenly all seemed to come back a few days ago. I now have my music library on iTunes back in the Sonos app on my laptop (Windows 11) and it is playing as well as it ever did previously...

It’s working okay for me too…👍

It’s working okay for me too…👍

Oh good, I was beginning to feel like I was completely out of klter with everyone else Ken. Albeit out of kilter in a good way. I am so relieved and pleased to have it all back. I nervously check it every day at the moment to check it is still all there and has not disappeared again!! 

Oh good, I was beginning to feel like I was completely out of klter with everyone else Ken. Albeit out of kilter in a good way. I am so relieved and pleased to have it all back. I nervously check it every day at the moment to check it is still all there and has not disappeared again!! 

I’ve seen some say it disappears for them, but I’ve not had that issue, even since the first update back in early May -Either way though, I’m sure Sonos will resolve these things with updates.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the new local library search will work too, when we do get that feature. Although I suspect I may need to clean up some of my metadata- track tags and Artwork myself a little further down the line. I have MP3Tag downloaded/setup and ready to go on my PC. I just need to find the time to do it.

I’ve seen some say it disappears for them, but I’ve not had that issue, even since the first update back in early May -Either way though, I’m sure Sonos will resolve these things with updates.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the new local library search will work too, when we do get that feature. Although I suspect I may need to clean up some of my metadata- track tags and Artwork myself a little further down the line. I have MP3Tag downloaded/setup and ready to go on my PC. I just need to find the time to do it.

It hasn’t disappeared on me for about four days now so fingers crossed. I definitely lost it all though with the update and had been trying some of the things recommended on here. You lose me very quickly however with the next bit of technical talk. All I want is for Sonos to play my playlist in shuffle format which is what it is doing right now and is what it always used to do….

My music library usually doesn’t show in sources when I open the iOS app. To get it to appear I need to do 1 or more of the following to sometimes get music library to appear: delete and reinstall the app, find a recently heard/played album in my music library and start it after which music library sometimes shows up.  Sometime music library appears and then quickly disappears. 

Has anyone been able to add their local “My Music folder” (library) in MacOS Sonoma to the Sonos app v16.2 (late May release)? The OS and Sonos app versions are not always clear in this long thread. I have followed the directions from Sonos (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/share-your-macos-music-folder-with-sonos) with no success. I either get an error that the admin credentials are incorrect (not the case) or the “913” error. The second option in the Manage menu, “Another folder...”, also does not work.  I have also tried the “networked device” option, even though the library is local.

There are no release notes for v16.2 (only up to 16.1); https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Has anyone been able to add their local “My Music folder” (library) in MacOS Sonoma to the Sonos app v16.2 (late May release)? The OS and Sonos app versions are not always clear in this long thread. I have followed the directions from Sonos (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/share-your-macos-music-folder-with-sonos) with no success. I either get an error that the admin credentials are incorrect (not the case) or the “913” error. The second option in the Manage menu, “Another folder...”, also does not work.  I have also tried the “networked device” option, even though the library is local.

There are no release notes for v16.2 (only up to 16.1); https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Hi @yellowtail, local library support has been screwy and frustrating since early May. Long story short: those first two options (My Music Folder, Another Folder) are not supported, even though they show up in the Mac desktop client and even though you can click on them. The only supported option is “Networked Device” even when the library is on your Mac.

Follow these direction to the letter …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/share-your-macos-music-folder-with-sonos

… and then select the “Networked Device” option in the Mac desktop app.

Pres

Has ...

Hi @yellowtail, local library support has been screwy and frustrating since early May. Long story short: those first two options (My Music Folder, Another Folder) are not supported, even though they show up in the Mac desktop client and even though you can click on them. The only supported option is “Networked Device” even when the library is on your Mac.

Follow these direction to the letter …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/share-your-macos-music-folder-with-sonos

… and then select the “Networked Device” option in the Mac desktop app.

Press250, I should have mentioned I also tried that option many times yielding no success but several different errors. However, you inspired me to try a few more times and...it is working (at least for now)! What I did differently on the last try was to share the Music folder in my user folder (~\Music) instead of the folder that has the actual media (~\Music\Music\Media\Music in Sonoma). Strangely, when I set up the file share in System Settings the user list showed something like ten “Music” users, in addition to my admin account and the Everyone user. Strange days but I will take it. Again thanks for the advice.

Getting the music library back is so hit and miss. Luckily I had success using the iTunes library file on my NAS. It’s disappeared a few times randomly and I’ve had to re-do but at least I have access to my NAS Music Library.

my question today though is….where the hell has A-Z search for Music Library gone? The most simple of features that Sonos apparently cannot yet add back into the app….

Last week, someone (in the Philippines) managed to lose my music folder completely, while trying to restore my music library on the phone with remote access to my computer.

Just spent 300 dollars having an Apple/Sonos dealer-technician come to my house and try to find my music library and link it to my Sonos system. 

He found my library, but my playlists aren't recognized anymore by my Sonos app. This update is a nightmare. Can’t believe they haven’t fixed it! I am sad, frustrated and now out 300 bucks.

Last week, someone (in the Philippines) managed to lose my music folder completely, while trying to restore my music library on the phone with remote access to my computer.

Just spent 300 dollars having an Apple/Sonos dealer-technician come to my house and try to find my music library and link it to my Sonos system. 

He found my library, but my playlists aren't recognized anymore by my Sonos app. This update is a nightmare. Can’t believe they haven’t fixed it! I am sad, frustrated and now out 300 bucks.

Why don’t the Sonos brass just swallow their pride and let us download the Sonos app 2 (the one that worked fine until May 6, 2024? Is this the emperor’s new clothes situation? Why are they so stuck on this new app that won’t stop crapping the bed? Let us listen to music on the old app and they can get their house in order and when the new app is ready in 6 months or so they can re-release it like new coke. Are they determined on destroying all the good will they and previous CEOs and brass have built up over the last 25 years? They getting really close if they aren’t there already. 

I found my solution jbl bluetooth speaker  less than 40 bucks and kiss sonos arrogance away. 
ever thought about why they did it?

maybe so we can’t listen to what we already bought this way we have to opt to buy into one of all the supported streaming services …. Not with me sonos  and thank you sooo much for your crappy customer seevice !!!!