Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

Actually, that does seem to work Ken! If I start off a playlist from the app on my phone it then plays through my laptop and continues to play the next song and so on perfectly fine! Thank you again x

I’ve given up.. Local functionality gone, tried everything from all the different hacks to try and get Sonos app to acknowledge my music collection on my laptop but with no luck. Spoke to customer support who went through the exact same things as what I already had found in these forums.. Gave up in the end and decided to upload everything to Youtube Music as that seemed to work.. But guess what, then found out that another issue arrives where you can only get 100 albums showing up which takes me to letter C in the alphabet!! Youtube music app on my mobile shows all albums, Youtube music via desktop shows all albums, but yet Sonos app (both desktop and mobile doesn’t).. 

Read a lot about NAS drives working with the Sonos app, but why should i go out and buy another device to store my music just so that i can can use this Sonos speaker! 

And going back to the different hacks, I feel for the people that aren’t technically minded or very computer literate. Trying to create user accounts with correct rights, sharing folders, figuring out IP address, creating static routes or putting a fixed IP address in.. How is that even acceptable on Sonos’ part to expect customers to do this to try and actually use their product! 

Whoever is at the head of development or the CEO should be fired because the decision making is the worst I have seen!

Anyone know if Sonos has a buy back policy so I can recoup some of the money i have wasted on their useless hardware sitting on my walls gather dust?!?!

Or better yet, anyone have an address for the head of development or CEO so i can cover these speakers in crap and send them back?!?!

Im off to buy some KRK Rokits and other hardware to give me a working system to listen to my music!

I understand that people who are used to the simple way of adding a Windows-based or Mac-based library probably feel like they’ve been subjected to a bit of a rug pull now that method is no longer supported (especially since there was no clear advance warning).

But its not accurate to describe the remaining supported method (involving creating a network share and then adding that share to the system) as a hack. Sharing folders on networks have long been fundamental features of all desktop operating systems (not just NAS devices) and adding such shares is an option that Sonos has supported for many years. 

Regarding uploading your library to a web-based service: If you’re going down this route you might want to take a look at iBroadcast. On my system it doesn’t have the issue you mentioned you are having with YouTube Music.

I’ve given up.. Local functionality gone, tried everything from all the different hacks to try and get Sonos app to acknowledge my music collection on my laptop but with no luck. Spoke to customer support who went through the exact same things as what I already had found in these forums.. Gave up in the end and decided to upload everything to Youtube Music as that seemed to work.. But guess what, then found out that another issue arrives where you can only get 100 albums showing up which takes me to letter C in the alphabet!! Youtube music app on my mobile shows all albums, Youtube music via desktop shows all albums, but yet Sonos app (both desktop and mobile doesn’t).. 

Read a lot about NAS drives working with the Sonos app, but why should i go out and buy another device to store my music just so that i can can use this Sonos speaker! 

And going back to the different hacks, I feel for the people that aren’t technically minded or very computer literate. Trying to create user accounts with correct rights, sharing folders, figuring out IP address, creating static routes or putting a fixed IP address in.. How is that even acceptable on Sonos’ part to expect customers to do this to try and actually use their product! 

Whoever is at the head of development or the CEO should be fired because the decision making is the worst I have seen!

Anyone know if Sonos has a buy back policy so I can recoup some of the money i have wasted on their useless hardware sitting on my walls gather dust?!?!

Or better yet, anyone have an address for the head of development or CEO so i can cover these speakers in crap and send them back?!?!

Im off to buy some KRK Rokits and other hardware to give me a working system to listen to my music!

I understand that people who are used to the simple way of adding a Windows-based or Mac-based library probably feel like they’ve been subjected to a bit of a rug pull now that method is no longer supported (especially since there was no clear advance warning).

But its not accurate to describe the remaining supported method (involving creating a network share and then adding that share to the system) as a hack. Sharing folders on networks have long been fundamental features of all desktop operating systems (not just NAS devices) and adding such shares is an option that Sonos has supported for many years. 

Regarding uploading your library to a web-based service: If you’re going down this route you might want to take a look at iBroadcast. In my experience it doesn’t have the issue you mentioned you are having with YouTube Music.

@osm I agree that sharing of folders have been around for years, but you shouldn’t have to be trying to use IP addresses rather than the computer name and creating extra users names and ensuring the rights are correct for what should be a plug n play smart speaker. Granted there is some basic setup needed, but not to the extent of the troubleshooting that is needed.

Think of that new Sonos speaker purchaser, who has just received their new speaker, plugged it in, connected it to their network only to find that they now need to spend ages on the Sonos forum trying to figure out why they can’t play their local music straight away or finding limitations on how many albums they can load.. In this day and age, these issues shouldn’t be there.

Cool, thanks for the tip on iBroadcast. Will look in to that now! Maybe my music listening friday will end on a positive note! :)

@osm I agree that sharing of folders have been around for years, but you shouldn’t have to be trying to use IP addresses rather than the computer name and creating extra users names and ensuring the rights are correct for what should be a plug n play smart speaker. Granted there is some basic setup needed, but not to the extent of the troubleshooting that is needed.

Think of that new Sonos speaker purchaser, who has just received their new speaker, plugged it in, connected it to their network only to find that they now need to spend ages on the Sonos forum trying to figure out why they can’t play their local music straight away or finding limitations on how many albums they can load.. In this day and age, these issues shouldn’t be there.

Cool, thanks for the tip on iBroadcast. Will look in to that now! Maybe my music listening friday will end on a positive note! :)

You don’t have to use IP addresses for Sonos to see the local library share you can use the computers netbios name as part of the UNC path and also use ANY user for the share including your own credentials that you logon to your PC with, or simply use the ‘Everyone’ user if you don’t mind sharing it with all users on your PC or Mac.

So just as an example:

//192.168.1.10/MyLibrary/Music

Can be swapped for this path…

//MyPCName/MyLibrary/Music

(obviously the above is an example and will vary by your own library path and computer name).

The login credentials for both can be your own PC logon credentials or ‘Everyone’ depending on the user permissions you give to the share - it can be a read-only share or a read/write share etc.

You don’t have to use IP addresses for Sonos to see the local library share you can use the computers netbios name as part of the UNC path and also use ANY user for the share including your own credentials that you logon to your PC with, or simply use the ‘Everyone’ user if you don’t mind sharing it with all users on your PC or Mac.

Correct, but when using the computers netbios name didn’t work, the next step recommended is to use the IP address.. In my case, I tried to use my own user account which is an admin account, but that didn’t work, so the next step was to create a new username and use that when configuring in the Sonos app. That worked for a day then stopped.. 

The point I am getting at, is that all of this shouldn’t be necessary. For your average person, they will be pretty bummed/pissed off that they have to even try all of this just to use their new device.

Hi. I have an old ReadyNAS Duo - can you tell me how you backed up the library onto an external drive. After a windows update I struggle to even connect to the drive. 

thanks in advance. 

David

Hi, I also struggled to connect to the drive, I managed this via the Safari browser and turned off “settings for this IP address” option in settings. I then used the export all to external usb HDD I had previously set up for the button on the front of the NAS. It took about 4 days to export circa 400gb of music. If you cannot access the NAS via the browser then you could try copying via your network assuming you can access it from there. I’m really non technical so that’s the extent of my knowledge. Good luck!!

Correct, but when using the computers netbios name didn’t work, the next step recommended is to use the IP address.. In my case, I tried to use my own user account which is an admin account, but that didn’t work, so the next step was to create a new username and use that when configuring in the Sonos app. That worked for a day then stopped.. 

The point I am getting at, is that all of this shouldn’t be necessary. For your average person, they will be pretty bummed/pissed off that they have to even try all of this just to use their new device.

I guess it’s horses for courses, I don’t find it difficult to do these kind of things, but my Wife perhaps would until I either showed her what to do, or she took the time to read how to do it, but in a similar vein I can’t make a chow mein or pad thai dish, but she would have no problem doing that and I’m sure I could do it too, if she puts together the recipe for me to follow.

In Sonos’s case, they have put together this link (and links off it) - see below,  to guide users through the library setup, so personally speaking, I think Sonos have done all they can… and if there is still a problem after that, then users can always call into their customer support desk.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

I guess it’s horses for courses, I don’t find it difficult to do these kind of things, but my Wife perhaps would until I either showed her what to do, or she took the time to read how to do it, but in a similar vein I can’t make a chow mein or pad thai dish, but she would have no problem doing that and I’m sure I could do it too, if she puts together the recipe for me to follow.

In Sonos’s case, they have put together this link (and links off it) - see below,  to guide users through the library setup, so personally speaking, I think Sonos have done all they can… and if there is still a problem after that, then users can always call into their customer support desk.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

:) I don’t find it hard either, just frustrating having to actually do that.. I came across that link a while back, but didn't work for me and had to delve even further with Customer Support assistance.. Now just doesn’t work at all.. But hopefully osm’s iBroadcast tip sorts out all my issues and I can use my devices. In the process of uploading now so will test once that eventually completes.

:) I don’t find it hard either, just frustrating having to actually do that.. I came across that link a while back, but didn't work for me and had to delve even further with Customer Support assistance.. Now just doesn’t work at all.. But hopefully osm’s iBroadcast tip sorts out all my issues and I can use my devices. In the process of uploading now so will test once that eventually completes.

In my own case the locally shared library works fine - I just don't know (yet) why the ‘exact same’ Sonos App works for some, like myself, but not for others, when following the Sonos guide. 

I have the library working on iPad, iPhone and an Android tablet.

After downloading the new update my music library from my computer was gone. I tried fixing it using forums and no luck. I finally called Sonos, waited almost an hour for an answer. When the tech answered he was really kind and tried to get back my files. we spent 4 hours trying. he even escalated it to someone else. after all this time a link was sent so I could make an appointment with a live level 2 engineer. I did and the availabilty was for almost 3 weeks later.

He did call and was unable to help me again. I have now wasted 7 hours of my time to this.

He finally said he would try and find a solution and get back to me.

His message after wards-This is Derek from Sonos Support. It was nice to speak with you today. Please reply back to this email if you have any questions or issues and I will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Derek
Sonos Customer Care - Boston, MA | Tier 2 Technical Support Engineer

its been over a month and 7 hours on hold and on the phone and he is completely ghosting me. I was going to buy a Sonos system for my daughter as a wedding gift because I had loved mine. Not anymore My system completely useless to me now. 

After downloading the new update my music library from my computer was gone.

What computer/type of shared library are you using?

I don’t quite know what I have done, in fact I don’t think I have done anything, but my music library from iTunes is all back now in the Sonos app on my computer (Windows 11) and playing perfectly as if nothing ever happened. So good to have it all back and very relieved! x

After downloading the new update my music library from my computer was gone. I tried fixing it using forums and no luck. I finally called Sonos, waited almost an hour for an answer. When the tech answered he was really kind and tried to get back my files. we spent 4 hours trying. he even escalated it to someone else. after all this time a link was sent so I could make an appointment with a live level 2 engineer. I did and the availabilty was for almost 3 weeks later.

He did call and was unable to help me again. I have now wasted 7 hours of my time to this.

He finally said he would try and find a solution and get back to me.

His message after wards-This is Derek from Sonos Support. It was nice to speak with you today. Please reply back to this email if you have any questions or issues and I will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Derek
Sonos Customer Care - Boston, MA | Tier 2 Technical Support Engineer

its been over a month and 7 hours on hold and on the phone and he is completely ghosting me. I was going to buy a Sonos system for my daughter as a wedding gift because I had loved mine. Not anymore My system completely useless to me now. 

It’s sad but I have had the same issues as your self I’ve now binned all my Sonos and gone over to apple HomePods and HomePod minis sadly no sub but I fine it’s not really missed. I had over £7000 of Sonos kit and use to tell all my friend how good it was blah blah not any more Sonos will NEVER recover from this and to be blunt about it I hope they go bankrupt to just prove to these big company’s it’s us the paying public that keep them going and we will not be treated like this! I still wish I could take them to court for damages and to recover the cost I’ve had to shell out because they killed my system and yes THEY killed my system not me! 

It’s sad but I have had the same issues as your self I’ve now binned all my Sonos and gone over to apple HomePods and HomePod minis sadly no sub but I fine it’s not really missed. I had over £7000 of Sonos kit and use to tell all my friend how good it was blah blah not any more Sonos will NEVER recover from this and to be blunt about it I hope they go bankrupt to just prove to these big company’s it’s us the paying public that keep them going and we will not be treated like this! I still wish I could take them to court for damages and to recover the cost I’ve had to shell out because they killed my system and yes THEY killed my system not me! 

I personally waited and got the later App updates and my Sonos system here is playing fine with the new App, but that said these speakers work great anyway, even without the App, using AirPlay, direct control, voice services, Bluetooth DLNA and even third party controller Apps.

The new Sonos App is only a software ‘remote’ controller for their speakers anyway and not a player and the hardware/firmware hasn’t changed. Personally I think you may have rushed into things and wasted your money, particularly as the App works okay, perhaps a touch slow in some areas, but otherwise it controls the players for playback and grouping/ungrouping. 

I still find it laughable too that people that move onto other audio systems just can’t seem to get away from this Sonos user community and not go over to their other audio product forum/community once they’ve switched their hardware. Everyone seems to keep coming back here.

There have been several firmware updates and we know the controller is a complete rewrite. The idea that not much has changed is misleading. You know this so not sure what your agenda is. 

There have been several firmware updates and we know the controller is a complete rewrite. The idea that not much has changed is misleading. You know this so not sure what your agenda is. 

Did you misread my post - I don’t think much has changed at all as far as the hardware/firmware is concerned - it’s why the SonoPad/Phone Apps still work - hardly anything has changed except the Sonos App which is just a software ‘remote’ - there’s nothing on any agenda here, I’m just telling things as they are.

I personally waited and got the later App updates and my Sonos system here is playing fine with the new App, but that said these speakers work great anyway, even without the App, using AirPlay, direct control, voice services, Bluetooth DLNA and even third party controller Apps.

The new Sonos App is only a software ‘remote’ controller for their speakers anyway and not a player and the hardware/firmware hasn’t changed. Personally I think you may have rushed into things and wasted your money, particularly as the App works okay, perhaps a touch slow in some areas, but otherwise it controls the players for playback and grouping/ungrouping. 

I still find it laughable too that people that move onto other audio systems just can’t seem to get away from this Sonos user community and not go over to their other audio product forum/community once they’ve switched their hardware. Everyone seems to keep coming back here.

Keep preaching SONOS mate, they have shafted thousands of loyal customers and they don’t seem to care. Still waiting on all the promised fixes, now 3 weeks lat without a word from your mates at Sonos. Pathetic by a company that once had a great product

Keep preaching SONOS mate, they have shafted thousands of loyal customers and they don’t seem to care. Still waiting on all the promised fixes, now 3 weeks lat without a word from your mates at Sonos. Pathetic by a company that once had a great product

My ‘mates’ (who I didn’t know I had) I think might have posted this link here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I hope it assists you - I promise I will thank them on your behalf too, that’s if I ever find out who they are.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I hope it assists you - I promise I will thank them on your behalf too, that’s if I ever find out who they are. 
Pathetic mate, building a new app without half the features. In any other industry they would have been hung. It shows the company has no regard for their once loyal customers. They sell sound systems they are not a social media app that can change features whenever they like. 

Pathetic mate, building a new app without half the features. In any other industry they would have been hung. It shows the company has no regard for their once loyal customers. They sell sound systems they are not a social media app that can change features whenever they like. 

Months without features we’ve used for 7 years, not good enough. Tel them that too

Months without features we’ve used for 7 years, not good enough. Tel them that too

Yeah will do - if I do ever get to speak to ‘em, which I doubt, that’s unless they delete/moderate another of my posts for breaching another one of the community rules. I’m doing quite well, so far, this year - not yet hit double figures - that’s a bit of a record for me.

A lot of people are complaining that certain functions don't operate correctly after, what was in my case a  forcefully installed mobile app. I would love to see what does and doesn't work but as all my music collection is sitting in a NAS drive I can't even do that. I did speak to a very helpful technician at Sonus who said I could still access my collection on a laptop but he wasn't sure if the multi millionaire owners would buy one for me. My speakers do make extremely sturdy door stops now and my NAS drive looks great at the back of the cupboard so not all is lost. Thank you Sonos, erm could I have my hundreds of pounds back please to see if I can get my long gone vinyl collection back?

A lot of people are complaining that certain functions don't operate correctly after, what was in my case a  forcefully installed mobile app. I would love to see what does and doesn't work but as all my music collection is sitting in a NAS drive I can't even do that. I did speak to a very helpful technician at Sonus who said I could still access my collection on a laptop but he wasn't sure if the multi millionaire owners would buy one for me. My speakers do make extremely sturdy door stops now and my NAS drive looks great at the back of the cupboard so not all is lost. Thank you Sonos, erm could I have my hundreds of pounds back please to see if I can get my long gone vinyl collection back?

Just to say it sounds like your NAS is SMB v1 only but perhaps post the make/model and I’ll try to check for you. Secondly, it’s not just Sonos that is no longer supporting SMBv1 because of its security vulnerabilities (you can check that out online), but also that protocol is no longer supported by Microsoft, Apple, Google and other manufacturers too - so Sonos are just following suit to keep things secure. Anyhow post your NAS details and I’ll do my best to find out about it for you.

Same here and I did update to SMBv2, Apple Music links to my NAS music library fine just not Sonos. 

Same here and I did update to SMBv2, Apple Music links to my NAS music library fine just not Sonos. 

Maybe a user permission problem then? - ideally the share should be secure, so Sonos might perhaps need the correct permission and user credentials to provide the necessary access - a read only permission to the user assigned, will suffice.