Skip to main content

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

I don’t think anyone has missed the announcement mate, I just think most of us think that is is totally rediculous and unacceptable that they would build the app “From The Ground Up” and actually release it without all the features it had previously. It is not acceptable that they now say aah sorry but you have to wait until you can search your library again and use a whole heap of other features. Pathetic performance From Sonos

I mostly use my own .m3u playlists, or browse the library by Artist anyway. I also use Plex and iBroadcast on Sonos, so no issue searching to find my own tracks. It seems library search is not too far away in being implemented anyway. So I’ve personally not seen this as a significant issue, at least compared to one or two other missing features.

Mate it is frustrating that so many of us have to change the way we access our libraries. I am setting up plek now to see how it goes. The Sonos app used to acces my library on Mac fine, without issues until their update. I still think it is pathetic that a company can bring out a new app and then say “we will bring back the features you all use and love a litre later, just be patient”. 

Mate it is frustrating that so many of us have to change the way we access our libraries. I am setting up plek now to see how it goes. The Sonos app used to acces my library on Mac fine, without issues until their update. I still think it is pathetic that a company can bring out a new app and then say “we will bring back the features you all use and love a litre later, just be patient”. 

I don’t think the MAC App or Windows App have changed - I still see my library in the Windows App - that works the same as when I was using S2 - the only things that have changed is the support for ‘SMB v1’ and ‘http’ shares in the mobile App. That was because of the security vulnerabilities as widely mentioned online and prior to any Sonos updates.

Microsoft, Apple and Google have stopped supporting those protocols too. Sonos have simply done the same and that has affected the search facility on the mobile platforms (Android & iOS), but as Sonos mention they will be introducing the library search back to their new App soon - it will just never support ‘http’ or SMBv1 shared libraries.

I don’t think the MAC App or Windows App have changed - I still see my library in the Windows App - that works the same as when I was using S2 - the only things that have changed is the support for ‘SMB v1’ and ‘http’ shares in the mobile App. That was because of the security vulnerabilities as widely mentioned online and prior to any Sonos updates.

Microsoft, Apple and Google have stopped supporting those protocols too. Sonos have simply done the same and that has affected the search facility on the mobile platforms (Android & iOS), but as Sonos mention they will be introducing the library search back to their new App soon - it will just never support ‘http’ or SMBv1 shared libraries.

The problem is the mobile app. Library is pretty useless without a search function. Once again, they should have made sure they have functions people are used to, working in the new app. I setup Plex and it works ok, but is very buggy on the new app, keep asking to try again when searching. It’s nice that you haven’t been affected by this mate, but heaps of others have. 

The problem is the mobile app. Library is pretty useless without a search function. Once again, they should have made sure they have functions people are used to, working in the new app. I setup Plex and it works ok, but is very buggy on the new app, keep asking to try again when searching. It’s nice that you haven’t been affected by this mate, but heaps of others have. 

Either way, it should not have affected the access to your local library from your Sonos MAC controller App, Sonos have not changed anything with that App.

This should not be the way to do this. Sonos has abandoned its original user base

Sonos hasn’t abandoned anything except support for SMB v1.  The vast majority of people missing their local library just need to get their share working on SMB v2 or v3 and then reindex using the PC or Mac app. 

I’m getting verty frustrated with the “SMB v1 is the problem” dismissive posts. My NAS based system hasn’t used SMB v1 for a very long time. It currently uses SMB v3.11. Prior to the update, I could see my local library, following the update, I can’t.

I can see the library at present from the Windows and Webapps, after completing a reindex. However, this did not cause it magically to reappear in the IOS or Android apps.

SMB categorically is not the problem with my missing library. The Sonos software is the issue. I appreciate that many people with identical set ups didn’t lose their local libraries following the update, and that many people got them back following an upgrade to SMB 2+, but clearly many people who are running SMB 2+ did lose their local libraries, and no amount of telling us its an SMB problem will make it so.

I’m getting verty frustrated with the “SMB v1 is the problem” dismissive posts. My NAS based system hasn’t used SMB v1 for a very long time. It currently uses SMB v3.11. Prior to the update, I could see my local library, following the update, I can’t.

I can see the library at present from the Windows and Webapps, after completing a reindex. However, this did not cause it magically to reappear in the IOS or Android apps.

SMB categorically is not the problem with my missing library. The Sonos software is the issue. I appreciate that many people with identical set ups didn’t lose their local libraries following the update, and that many people got them back following an upgrade to SMB 2+, but clearly many people who are running SMB 2+ did lose their local libraries, and no amount of telling us its an SMB problem will make it so.

Well, I did say “the vast majority”, allowing for those seeing other problems.  Some have found that closing the app out completely and restarting will make it show up.  If that doesn’t work, reset the app and when it restarts, choose connect to an existing system.

This should not be the way to do this. Sonos has abandoned its original user base

Sonos hasn’t abandoned anything except support for SMB v1.  The vast majority of people missing their local library just need to get their share working on SMB v2 or v3 and then reindex using the PC or Mac app. 

Maybe see what happens if you change your NAS library share to SMB version 2 or 3.. you ‘may’ need to reindex using the Windows App too.

Maybe see what happens if you change your NAS library share to SMB version 2 or 3.. you ‘may’ need to reindex using the Windows App too.

Thank you, but the NAS share is explicitly using SMB v3.11, and the SMB package on the NAS is showing as up to date. The embedded Synology operating system also allows users to actively prevent SMB v1 shares, I think as a default, and this is checked on my system. I have already tried removing the library from the Windows app, then re-adding and indexed it. This allows it to be seen on Windows and the Webapp, but still not on Android or IOS.

I am running the most upto date Windows app - at the time when I installed it, I lost all 5 of my Play 1 speakers, requiring each to be hard reset, and reinstalled one at a time - another hour and a half I’ll never get back.

Fortunately, I can use DLNA/UPnP to send music to my speakers using either JRiver on the PC or 8player pro on my iPhone, so all is not lost. Play 1 speakers have no AirPlay capability, so that’s not an option.

Thank you, but the NAS share is explicitly using SMB v3.11, and the SMB package on the NAS is showing as up to date. The embedded Synology operating system also allows users to actively prevent SMB v1 shares, I think as a default, and this is checked on my system. I have already tried removing the library from the Windows app, then re-adding and indexed it. This allows it to be seen on Windows and the Webapp, but still not on Android or IOS.

I am running the most upto date Windows app - at the time when I installed it, I lost all 5 of my Play 1 speakers, requiring each to be hard reset, and reinstalled one at a time - another hour and a half I’ll never get back.

Fortunately, I can use DLNA/UPnP to send music to my speakers using either JRiver on the PC or 8player pro on my iPhone, so all is not lost. Play 1 speakers have no AirPlay capability, so that’s not an option.

Maybe see if something in this link will assist you … I read it as you can set a maximum version of the SMB protocol, which most NAS boxes do support these days, but YMMV…

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/SMBService/smbservice_smb_settings?version=7

I use a Synology NAS too. I can’t see a way to explicitly set a specific SMB version such as 3.11. All I can see is an option to set a min and max SMB version (control panel > file services > smb > advanced settings > general). I have mine set to min 2 and max 3, and I’m not having issues with library access in Sonos. Are you using some kind of non-standard or advanced approach to configuring your Synology NAS?

I use a Synology NAS too. I can’t see a way to explicitly set a specific SMB version such as 3.11. All I can see is an option to set a min and max SMB version (control panel > file services > smb > advanced settings > general). I have mine set to min 2 and max 3, and I’m not having issues with library access in Sonos. Are you using some kind of non-standard or advanced approach to configuring your Synology NAS?

Yes indeed. I have a different brand of NAS, but I too set my shares with the same min. and max. setting, because some iOS Apps may only support SMB v2 - I thought almost all NAS boxes had this type of option to vary the SMB protocol version dynamically and to exclude SMB v1.

Badly expressed on my part. As you note, you can set the minimum version to 2 - this has the effect of preventing any v1 shares and this is what I was referring to. V3.11 is the current version as installed by the SMB package. You can also turn off support for SMB v1 in Windows itself.

Dear Sonos

i have used the Sonos app on my iPhone for almost a decade. I have invested time and money in your products and my music library

I am reasonably tech savvy but your removal of the ability of the app to play a music library from my Synology NAS is frustrating to say the least

i have looked at various posts and cannot work out if 

1 you will be restoring this ability and when 

2 why it was removed in the first place

and 3 if you will be restoring it - I would like access on my iPhone app, not a pc and without having to upgrade my Synology NAS or use other software/apps

Really disappointed in your actions and lack of helpful support so far. 

Are you able to answer my questions to my satisfaction clearly and simply please??

Dear Sonos

i have used the Sonos app on my iPhone for almost a decade. I have invested time and money in your products and my music library

I am reasonably tech savvy but your removal of the ability of the app to play a music library from my Synology NAS is frustrating to say the least

i have looked at various posts and cannot work out if 

1 you will be restoring this ability and when 

2 why it was removed in the first place

and 3 if you will be restoring it - I would like access on my iPhone app, not a pc and without having to upgrade my Synology NAS or use other software/apps

Really disappointed in your actions and lack of helpful support so far. 

Are you able to answer my questions to my satisfaction clearly and simply please??

This is a user’s forum.  Sonos personnel sometimes post here, and they are the moderators, but you probably aren’t going to get an answer.  You should contact support directly through the phone or chat:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact

What about the poor slobs like me who have no idea how to do that?

Hi @Eastway I know this change to local libraries is frustrating. Where is your local library stored? If it is on a Windows machine, I wrote up the steps you need to take …

… hope that helps!

Hi @Eastway I know this change to local libraries is frustrating. Where is your local library stored? If it is on a Windows machine, I wrote up the steps you need to take …

… hope that helps!

I’m on a Mac. Managed to get my Music Library to show up but there is no content.

There are instructions in the community. See here:

I appreciate the feedback but already followed those instructions. After multiple tries the library finally did show up on the desktop app (not on iPhone or iPad) but again the library is empty.

I appreciate the feedback but already followed those instructions. After multiple tries the library finally did show up on the desktop app (not on iPhone or iPad) but again the library is empty.

No worries, sorry to hear it’s not working for you. It’s probably best to speak with Sonos customer support in that case, but note they have been quite busy, so you may need to wait a while to get through. Here is the link to call them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I am amazed at all the suggestions to fix Sonos incompetence. I seriously appreciate the time and effort of everyone trying to fix this.

But this is on Sonos - they either fix it or not. There are hardware and software alternatives and if necessary, goodbye Sonos. And good riddance.

I am amazed at all the suggestions to fix Sonos incompetence. I seriously appreciate the time and effort of everyone trying to fix this.

But this is on Sonos - they either fix it or not. There are hardware and software alternatives and if necessary, goodbye Sonos. And good riddance.

The majority of people who lost their library is because Sonos no longer supports SMB v1 shares due to security reasons.  Since Sonos has no control over what your OS or NAS is using to share, how are they supposed to “fix this” if it is using SMB v1?  

The majority of people who lost their library is because Sonos no longer supports SMB v1 shares due to security reasons.  Since Sonos has no control over what your OS or NAS is using to share, how are they supposed to “fix this” if it is using SMB v1?  

I am on an iMac with Ventura 13.6.7. Should have mentioned that - sorry. Searched for “SMB” in my system files and could not find it. Not going into Terminal. I am guessing that this is a Windows solution. My point stands - time and effort on a customer’s time when this is on Sonos.

Besides a few weeks ago, a Sonos rep informed that until the iMac app is updated, my Music Library on my Mac cannot be accessed as a source. 

Sonos has created a problem that wasn’t here a few weeks ago

The lack of simple communication and reassurance from Sonos to simple questions is surprising and concerning 

Leaves me with little confidence in Sonos and lack of enthusiasm for future products or upgrades until this is resolved if it ever will be. 

An own goal by Sonos

I agree dropped SMB1 support likely explains a large proportion of issues experienced by those who added their music folder via a network share. But how abut those who have added their folder using the “my music folder” or “another folder or drive” options (i.e. added windows/mac folder paths)? Quite a lot of people using these options seem to be having issues as well; is it known why?