Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

I am now fully finished with Sonos products and the company sold all my now useless Sonos and gone fully Apple home pods they work well with my apps and my new hifi streamer and are fully compatible with HomeKit and home assistant much better sound than Sonos  hope you are all looking forward to the next time Sonos * you all over again they have done it once you can count on them doing it again lol 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

OK. that latest update to My Mac Os Sonos software did the trick. I followed the Sonos directions carefully, and I have My iMac stored iTunes Music Library back. It shows up with full functionality on both the Mac and Mobile Apps. Still hornery about all this, but happy it all works again. 

Now...please update the Mobile Apps so they show upcoming tracks and allow editing of said Que...please…

Also, maybe make the volume adjustment while using large speaker groups less “glitchy”...

So does this latest update also restore connections to external hard drives on iMac without the workarounds mentioned a little earlier? Can anyone confirm? At work now so can’t test anything.

So does this latest update also restore connections to external hard drives on iMac without the workarounds mentioned a little earlier? Can anyone confirm? At work now so can’t test anything.

No update to the Sonos app is going to restore connections to any drives used with a PC or a Mac.  The previous share method used HTTP sharing.  This has been dropped due to security issues.  Unfortunately, the new share method (SMB v2/v3) requires the user to share to set up the share before Sonos can see it.  This is the “workaround” you refer to, which is actually the normal way to setup an SMB share on a PC/Mac.  

No update to the Sonos app is going to restore connections to any drives used with a PC or a Mac.  The previous share method used HTTP sharing.  This has been dropped due to security issues.  Unfortunately, the new share method (SMB v2/v3) requires the user to share to set up the share before Sonos can see it.  This is the “workaround” you refer to, which is actually the normal way to setup an SMB share on a PC/Mac.  

Thanks for the clarification.  Appreciate that we at least have a video now walking through the steps. I still don't understand quite what I need to for my situation as I have a Crucial X6 external hard drive connected to my 2021 iMac.  Crucial is telling me they can communicate with SMB v2/3 with no settings needed to be changed and not sure what I should be doing on the iMac. Any additional help for my specific set-up would be appreciated.

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

For a moment I saw “Your Sources” and my “Music Library” reappear on my iPad in the Sonos app using the 6/24/2024 update. The performance was more anemic than the old gold icon app with no letter navigation for skipping down my collection. It’s gone again. It has yet to reappear on my iPhone.

What is weird is the apps can see the playlists that reference the library. They can see all the track information on speakers with music selected using other apps. It just doesn’t want to add the NAS sources so you can browse them.

The discovery and purchase of the SonoPad and SonoPhone apps is filling the void. In fact, SonoPad has superior performance and nice features like getting more info about an album off the web. 

Thanks for the clarification.  Appreciate that we at least have a video now walking through the steps. I still don't understand quite what I need to for my situation as I have a Crucial X6 external hard drive connected to my 2021 iMac.  Crucial is telling me they can communicate with SMB v2/3 with no settings needed to be changed and not sure what I should be doing on the iMac. Any additional help for my specific set-up would be appreciated.

I believe folders on an external hard drive can be shared with the network in exactly the same way as folders on internal hard drives. In which case you just need to follow the instructions on the following page: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos . In particular follow the link to “Share your macOS music folder with Sonos”. In your setup your “macOS music folder” is simply the folder on your external hard drive that contains your music. 

Something the Sonos article doesn’t advise, but something I would do personally is setup a non-admin user account on my computer which is separate from my main admin user account and give that user relevant permissions to the music folder. Then when you add the network path of the folder to Sonos, give Sonos the username and password for the newly-created user instead of username and password for your main Mac user account. It’s not essential, but is probably good practice. 

If you’ve never had to setup network shares before, you might find the following useful for a bit of additional context/illustration: https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-share-a-folder-to-your-network-in-macos/ . 

I believe folders on an external hard drive can be shared with the network in exactly the same way as folders on internal hard drives. In which case you just need to follow the instructions on the following page: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos . In particular follow the link to “Share your macOS music folder with Sonos”. In your setup your “macOS music folder” is simply the folder on your external hard drive that contains your music. 

Something the Sonos article doesn’t advise, but something I would do personally is setup a non-admin user account on my computer which is separate from my main admin user account and give that user relevant permissions to the music folder. Then when you add the network path of the folder to Sonos, give Sonos the username and password for the newly-created user instead of username and password for your main Mac user account. It’s not essential, but is probably good practice. 

If you’ve never had to setup network shares before, you might find the following useful for a bit of additional context/illustration: https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-share-a-folder-to-your-network-in-macos/ . 

Thank you very much.  I did follow these steps exactly and keep getting error that says “access to folder is denied” and I do not have password protection on the drive itself.  I have entered in my Mac hostname as username and password as described in the steps.  :( I don’t know what could be wrong

Thank you very much.  I did follow these steps exactly and keep getting error that says “access to folder is denied” and I do not have password protection on the drive itself.  I have entered in my Mac hostname as username and password as described in the steps.  :( I don’t know what could be wrong

I don’t have a Mac so unfortunately can’t test file sharing between MacOS and Sonos myself. But just to check a couple of things…

In the questions below I’ll pretend your Mac hostname is “epieMac”, your Mac’s IP address is “192.168.1.10”, the folder on your Mac that you have shared (via Mac system preferences) is called “Music”, your Mac username is “epie”, and your Mac password is “password123”.

In Sonos desktop application, when you go to add your music library (via the networked device option) are you entering the path as \\epieMac\Music ?

When it asks for username and password are you entering epie and password123 ?

If so, perhaps try replacing the hostname with the IP address of your Mac, e.g. \\192.168.1.10\Music

If that still doesn’t work try connecting to your network share from a different device (e.g. from a Windows PC or a phone or tablet). Look up how to connect to an SMB share from that type of device. If you can’t connect from the other device there there might be an issue with the file sharing on your Mac. However if the different device does connect it would seem Sonos may have a problem connecting to Mac-based network shares which would need addressing by Sonos.

I’ve never had any issues connecting to network share from Sonos myself, but my network shares have always been on Linux-based devices.

I reverted back to V16.1 on my Android, since that version worked with my NAS.  Does anyone know if the new version restores the Music Library function?  I have no issues with the Windows Desktop version.

I reverted back to V16.1 on my Android, since that version worked with my NAS.  Does anyone know if the new version restores the Music Library function?  I have no issues with the Windows Desktop version.

I haven’t ever had any issues accessing my NAS-based library using the new mobile app. Have you checked your NAS to see if SMBv1 is enabled for file sharing? If it is, disable it and use SMB v2 or higher (as Sonos has dropped support for SMB v1). Use of SMB v1 network sharing is the most likely cause issues related to NAS-based shares in the new app.

I want to say I finally resolved this after going back and forth over several evenings and it was something pretty simple but want to clarify a couple of things for others that may be watching this video posted by agate (thank you again for posting this and working with me).

1. These directions will work for an external USB hard drive, it is not specific to a NAS but you do need to select NAS when “adding library” in Sonos as jgatie mentions.
  2. My hiccup was that when I ran “whoami”, I was returned a username that wasn't quite right.  On a whim entered a space in between my first name and last name when asked in Sonos despite “whoami” indicating to enter as all one word.  This did the trick for me!  Yay!  Music library is back!

All sorted, music library from iTunes has suddenly reappeared both on my computer (Windows 11) and on the app today. Didnt do anything, was just checking both see if there was any change and there it was all reloaded and playing fine. So pleased! xxx

Thank you Ken.

No, I did not get the notifications on the app, or email, all was working fine until the app update!

I will upgrade to a Synology DS223 which is fine for my library etc.

Thank you 

Just to follow up on my own post. I bought the Synology DS223, backed up up library to an external usb HDD from my old ReadyNAS Duo. Managed to re-use both my 3.5 HDD’s from my old ReadyNAS duo in the new Synology, once they were reformatted, I copied in my library. Pointed the Windows Sonos app to the library and it works fine on the iphone app, but cannot search the library. This feature is coming soon I believe.

The only other issue I have is my playlists are gone, I cannot seem to find them. Anyone had the same problem? I use an itunes library on my new NAS. Thanks. 

My sonos system primarily uses my large local music library daily, after the auto app update this morning i can’t now access using any mobile devices only. After speaking to support they said they knew about this and in a few months the feature may return.

I cannot believe that a company the size of sonos has rolled out a new app breaking one of the fundamental aspects of the sonos system, not even giving users a choice of sticking with the old app until the local music library feature is available in the new app.

Surely this is what beta testing is for after reading all the guff on the new app by the CEO it just shows to me total disregard to older customers  with large music libraries.

Totally pi$$ed off

And a month later nothing has improved. I’ve had and used 5 Sonos speaker configurations for over a decade. Now I would advise anyone thinking about using Sonos to look elsewhere if you value reliable music playback.

also Totally pi$$ed off

My sonos system primarily uses my large local music library daily, after the auto app update this morning i can’t now access using any mobile devices only. After speaking to support they said they knew about this and in a few months the feature may return.

I cannot believe that a company the size of sonos has rolled out a new app breaking one of the fundamental aspects of the sonos system, not even giving users a choice of sticking with the old app until the local music library feature is available in the new app.

Surely this is what beta testing is for after reading all the guff on the new app by the CEO it just shows to me total disregard to older customers  with large music libraries.

Totally pi$$ed off

And a month later nothing has improved. I’ve had and used 5 Sonos speaker configurations for over a decade. Now I would advise anyone thinking about using Sonos to look elsewhere if you value reliable music playback.

also Totally pi$$ed off

Such a shame isn’t it

After upgrading to the new app when in came out (big mistake) I came here today to see if the problems had been resolved as suggested in the hysterically funny “live Q & A” back on the 14th of May.

I’m extremely disappointed, if not at all surprised, to read that many users are still having significant problems using what should be core functionality.😡

How long are Sonos going to let this disgrace continue?

For anyone interested, I am still running the 16.1 version which I downloaded from here Download Sonos 16.1 Android APK File (apkpure.com) I uninstalled the new version from my Android devices (turned off auto updates), downloaded the APK file from the above location and ran it directly which seems to work.

After upgrading to the new app when in came out (big mistake) I came here today to see if the problems had been resolved as suggested in the hysterically funny “live Q & A” back on the 14th of May.

I’m extremely disappointed, if not at all surprised, to read that many users are still having significant problems using what should be core functionality.😡

How long are Sonos going to let this disgrace continue?

For anyone interested, I am still running the 16.1 version which I downloaded from here Download Sonos 16.1 Android APK File (apkpure.com) I uninstalled the new version from my Android devices (turned off auto updates), downloaded the APK file from the above location and ran it directly which seems to work.

It would be useful if you could describe where your music folder is located and which method has been used to connect it to the Sonos system. Some library connection methods are no longer supported in newer versions of mobile app and system firmware, and support for those won’t be coming back. However there are configurations which should in principle be working (and are working for many). Even if not specifically experiencing a 913 error, the following clarifies which methods are no longer supported: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share

Thank you Ken.

No, I did not get the notifications on the app, or email, all was working fine until the app update!

I will upgrade to a Synology DS223 which is fine for my library etc.

Thank you 

Just to follow up on my own post. I bought the Synology DS223, backed up up library to an external usb HDD from my old ReadyNAS Duo. Managed to re-use both my 3.5 HDD’s from my old ReadyNAS duo in the new Synology, once they were reformatted, I copied in my library. Pointed the Windows Sonos app to the library and it works fine on the iphone app, but cannot search the library. This feature is coming soon I believe.

The only other issue I have is my playlists are gone, I cannot seem to find them. Anyone had the same problem? I use an itunes library on my new NAS. Thanks. 

Hi. I have an old ReadyNAS Duo - can you tell me how you backed up the library onto an external drive. After a windows update I struggle to even connect to the drive. 

thanks in advance. 

David

Been a Sonos user for over 10 years. I get it, mobile device priority, sure. Gotta sell those speakers. But at least keep the network fundamentals sound on the desktop client. Not cool. I’ve been using Sonos with a NAS since day one. Dude, it was better 10 years ago… 

Been a Sonos user for over 10 years. I get it, mobile device priority, sure. Gotta sell those speakers. But at least keep the network fundamentals sound on the desktop client. Not cool. I’ve been using Sonos with a NAS since day one. Dude, it was better 10 years ago… 

Hard to understand, isn’t it

I’ve given up.. Local functionality gone, tried everything from all the different hacks to try and get Sonos app to acknowledge my music collection on my laptop but with no luck. Spoke to customer support who went through the exact same things as what I already had found in these forums.. Gave up in the end and decided to upload everything to Youtube Music as that seemed to work.. But guess what, then found out that another issue arrives where you can only get 100 albums showing up which takes me to letter C in the alphabet!! Youtube music app on my mobile shows all albums, Youtube music via desktop shows all albums, but yet Sonos app (both desktop and mobile doesn’t).. 

Read a lot about NAS drives working with the Sonos app, but why should i go out and buy another device to store my music just so that i can can use this Sonos speaker! 

And going back to the different hacks, I feel for the people that aren’t technically minded or very computer literate. Trying to create user accounts with correct rights, sharing folders, figuring out IP address, creating static routes or putting a fixed IP address in.. How is that even acceptable on Sonos’ part to expect customers to do this to try and actually use their product! 

Whoever is at the head of development or the CEO should be fired because the decision making is the worst I have seen!

Anyone know if Sonos has a buy back policy so I can recoup some of the money i have wasted on their useless hardware sitting on my walls gather dust?!?!

Or better yet, anyone have an address for the head of development or CEO so i can cover these speakers in crap and send them back?!?!

Im off to buy some KRK Rokits and other hardware to give me a working system to listen to my music!

I agree with the point above about all of the high tech solutions. It is very kind of people but means nothing at all to me with my fairly basic knowledge of computers. 

I have managed to load all of my music library back into Sonos on my laptop (Windows 11) and it will play the first song in a playlist fine. But then as soon as you try to move to another track, it won’t play ball and all the songs then have m4a after the name of the song and won’t play. 

What happened to an update mid June give it is now 5 July?

At what stage, does one invest in a new system and what would people recommend for the UK? 

Richard x

I agree with the point above about all of the high tech solutions. It is very kind of people but means nothing at all to me with my fairly basic knowledge of computers. 

I have managed to load all of my music library back into Sonos on my laptop (Windows 11) and it will play the first song in a playlist fine. But then as soon as you try to move to another track, it won’t play ball and all the songs then have m4a after the name of the song and won’t play. 

What happened to an update mid June give it is now 5 July?

At what stage, does one invest in a new system and what would people recommend for the UK? 

Richard x

It’s strange as my locally held NAS library is playing fine and once a playlist, album, etc is started, the queue keeps playing.

Maybe reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Thanks Ken, very kind of you!

Richard x