Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Given that it’s only on Samsung, and not any other brand TV’s , it’s hard to conceive of it not being a Samsung issue. 

I can’t speak to other TVs working or not but I am suggesting it could be a combination of the two (having done standards work before, subtle interpretations of specs by two parties can compound issues when they come together).   

But true, it could purely be a Samsung issue. They are definitely newer to eARC compared to say LG.

Regardless, hopefully Sonos can take a look and verify (and hopefully Samsung can too).

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I’m also experiencing what I believe to be connection issues between the Sonos Arc and a 2020 model Samsung Frame 55”.

I’ve spent considerable time speaking to both Sonos and Samsung support and neither have been particularly helpful. The Samsung support in particular has been a criminal waste of time, as the only thing they know how to suggest is that you turn off/on or “factory reset” your TV.

After much trial and error the only way I found I could get the TV/Arc to “connect” was by power cycling both the TV and Arc.

However I’ve recently noticed that if I have the TV on, then switch to play music on the Arc, I am unable to toggle the Arc back to playing the TV sound again unless I again power cycle both the TV & Arc.

I never had this problem in the past with an older model Sony TV, optical connection and the Sonos Playbar.

I’m not sure if this is an eArc issue, a Samsung issue, a Sonos issue or a V2 App issue, but it is a huge functionality regression.

**Edit** - Now I’m struggling to replicate this, I experienced it organically a couple of times over the weekend but in typical fashion I couldn’t replicate when I called support. I’ll keep an eye on it.

same issue on ARC & Q95T.

I have noticed two things:-

1) As noted during the issue, I have always lost the Sonos signal from the EARC source. I.e. I don't see the Sonos picture anymore, if I change to the Sonos source.

2) a quick unplug and replug of the HDMI cable from the ARC fixes the issue.

Might be worth checking these two issues/fixes to confirm same issue?

Same thing with EARC, but if I set to off, I still get Atmos and all works okay, until the above issue occurs every few days.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Same issue on my 55 frame tv 

Userlevel 2

Sonos - Can we get a comment on this.  I want to purchase a new Samsung q90 TV with a new ARC but not if they won’t work together! 

I just installed the recent Sonos update (12.01) and now I can get sound through e-Arc mode for the first time. Not sure if the update was specifically to address this issue though.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just installed the recent Sonos update (12.01) and now I can get sound through e-Arc mode for the first time. Not sure if the update was specifically to address this issue though.

I’ve updated to 12.1 and I’m still not getting sound through eARC. I have to have it off to get any sound. 

Did you do anything else apart from toggle eARC to auto? Thanks

75 " frame , arc sub and 2 ones

Updated to 12.1 and no change , still no earc - any steps we could follow to replicate your success?

I’ve just gone back to the TV, powered it on and I have the usual problem of no sound. I restored sound by turning off earc, turning it back on again, then turning off Atmos compatibility and turning Atmos compatibility back on. So currently I have sound with earc mode on. This could be no change compared to version 12.0 but I never managed to get any sound through earc using version 12.0. 

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. Samsung The Frame 2020 50". Latest firmware update from Sonos 12.1

No luck getting earc functional.

Please fix it!

When doing these types of updates, one can always force an HDMI handshake by pulling power on the TV (unplug from the wall outlet) and plugging back in.  I’ve seen that clear up settings that you thought were on, but never made it through to the other device(s).  

Userlevel 1
Badge

When doing these types of updates, one can always force an HDMI handshake by pulling power on the TV (unplug from the wall outlet) and plugging back in.  I’ve seen that clear up settings that you thought were on, but never made it through to the other device(s).  

I’ve tired that. Still doesn’t work. Can’t turn on eARC

Userlevel 1

Same here. No luck.

Badge

I just received the arc today and I too have the issue when the e-Arc is on with the frame 2020 55 inch. So far I have not play enough with it but the issue is there. When earc is off everything works fine including Dolby Atmos (DD+) but I the whole purpose of using the earc is to get uncompressed sound but I guess we will have to wait for a fix?

Would like to know if Sonos/Samsung are aware of this.

Badge

Add me the list… 75” frame.  Stutters every time I turn on the TV/Arc.  Have to unplug and replug the Arc to get sound.  However, no luck w eArc.

Having the same issue on my 65” LG OLED B6. For a while I wouldn’t get sound from the TV when turning it on but a power cycle would fix it, however as of this morning the connection between the Sonos Arc and my entire surround set up will not connect to my TV. Really could use a solution to this Sonos. $2,000 for no sound is not a good deal lol

Userlevel 2
Badge

Both my Frame TVs have issues. 2020 can get Dolby Atmos working sometimes by my 2019 will never get it working. 

This is happening to me on my LG C9 TV with Apple TV 4K and the Arc.  

With no pattern that I can establish, I will sometimes start a show with the Apple TV and get no sound. The Sonos app shows “no signal.” By adjusting the LG TV sound settings to flip eARC off then on again, the sound always comes back immediately, and continues to perform well, generally for days.

I’ve never seen it go out during a show. Only after a period of non-use. This does not happen every time. And it seems to happen for Atmos, 5.1, and stereo content alike.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Today I’ve taken delivery of a Samsung Q95T to get full Atmos, specifically to replace my Q9FN which doesn’t have eARC.

Excitedly I get it all set up and sounded amazing.

10 minutes later no sound through Sonos Arc, changed eARC from auto to off and Arc works.

Don’t know if this is a Samsung or Sonos issue but it’s VERY annoying, You don’t expect this when you outlay £2700 for brand new TV and £800 on a soundbar. I have 28 to return both items if no fix in this period they will be returned.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ivan,

I have exactly the same set up and the same problem. I think it’s a Sonos issue personally. 

There’s too many 2020 Samsung’s not getting the eARC to work with this soundbar. 

I just hope Sonos engineers are looking into this issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good to know someone has the same issues with the same setup FHboy. 

I personally think it’s a Sonos problem as well, interestingly if you try to change the sound output in the TV It shows the little green jumping graph on the Arc selection which surely means the TV is sending the signal to the Arc.

The part I'm most baffled by is the fact it worked for 10 minutes or so.

Very frustrating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The part I'm most baffled by is the fact it worked for 10 minutes or so.

Very frustrating. 

Could the TV have taken a firmware update during those ten minutes? We know that the newest LG firmware for the C9 causes problems with the Sonos Arc.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the q95t and I have my Arc wired straight into hdmi 3 (eARC) the Arc only shows the Arc as a HDMI Receiver as opposed to Receiver eARC - I have a horrible audio delay when using Atmos on my Xbox One X and I think a possible fix could be to enable audio pass through on the TV but this is only possible on eARC devices, which for some reason it doesn't seem to think the Arc is.

This is happening to me on my LG C9 TV with Apple TV 4K and the Arc.  

With no pattern that I can establish, I will sometimes start a show with the Apple TV and get no sound. The Sonos app shows “no signal.” By adjusting the LG TV sound settings to flip eARC off then on again, the sound always comes back immediately, and continues to perform well, generally for days.

I’ve never seen it go out during a show. Only after a period of non-use. This does not happen every time. And it seems to happen for Atmos, 5.1, and stereo content alike.

The latest C9 firmware v04.80.03 supports the multichannel LPCM codec, which by default is in use by Apple TV 4K .. but not (yet) the Sonos Arc.

The answer is to change the sound out codec on Apple TV … I have the C9 TV and for most other devices it works well and in particular, it’s own built-in Apps for Netflix, Prime Movies, Disney+, Rakuten and ATV+ etc; all work fine and each support DD+ (Atmos).

Sonos have indicated the Arc will go onto support the multichannel LPCM codec at some stage this year. It appears LG are just slightly ahead of things with these matters.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same thing: Q95T, Sonos ARC.

perfect sound with EARC OFF. No Sound in EARC Auto.

would be very helpful to know whom to blame, which device to return..is it Samsung or sonos..

really hope sonos is reading along here and we‘ll soon see a Software fix...