Answered

Sonos Ace - Buzzing / Static Noise and low volume HELP

Show first post

174 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Tdown001 I totally agree with you.
I registered for the Q&A event and was surprised/disappointed that there was no notification for it being cancelled.
Ross.

Userlevel 1

I created a case for this myself, their best guess is replacement at this point. However turning off noise cancellation is a workaround, which does work. For me it happens during the transparency mode too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Tdown001 I totally agree with you.
I registered for the Q&A event and was surprised/disappointed that there was no notification for it being cancelled.
Ross.

The Q&A did happen, I was on it.

The noise issue was asked about, but not acknowledged or answered in the Q&A.

Here is a link to the replay

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-live

Userlevel 2

Hi all, I have some updates and bad news for everyone who are waiting replacements.

I raised the concern on this forum about the right ear cup static noise soon after I received my preordered headphones last week. I have followed all the necessary updates and ultimately spent 1 hour and 48 minutes with tech support waiting/troubleshooting and finally getting Sonos to approve a replacement.

I just got the new headphones delivered. Unfortunately, the static noise is still a problem on the new headphones. However, this is not noticeable when you use the headphones primarily with your phone. You have to pair the headphones to another external device besides your phone, in my case my computer, and set it on Aware Mode. Make sure you are in a quiet environment and try to play some music and pause from the external device. You would hear some static interference noise. Please be patient since the noise doesn't pop right away.

I'm a bit disappointed with Sonos for not taking the necessary actions to identify or recognize the problem yet, despite hundreds of people expressing frustration all over the internet. I urge Sonos to follow the steps the community is providing to reproduce this issue.

Once again, the reason why other people have not experienced this is likely because they may not have multiple devices connected to the headphones.

---

Mac: Sonoma 14.5 (23F79)

phone: iOS 17.5.1

Sonos Ace: 2.9.3-a09bbe3eb

Bought these yesterday after waiting and reading reviews. Decided over trusted Bose ( for the first time ever)

Sadly...I have it too but in ‘aware mode’ only (In the app under ‘noise control’) So I guess thats a ‘fix’ * if your not needing ‘awareness’ of the environment but appreciate you should not be required to avoid this setting. 

Reported to Sonos who are coming back to me after running diagnostics. Its certainly a bluetooth issue as hissing/sizzling is NOT noted when plugged into the i phone with a fixed cord. 

JB Hi Fi were absolutely fantastic as always and are happy to swap for another pair. 

TBC

Userlevel 2

CORRECTION ON EARLIER POSTS

I have only a problem when the Aware modus is on and not the ANC modus. Then I hear a static noice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I have the issue if aware mode OR ANC is on, if both off, it goes away.

also I only have them paired with one device, my phone.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It's definitely a microphone issue. When talking on a phone or anc / aware is enabled the issue is present. I think the grounding of the microphone is not good. 

Userlevel 2

I now tested with and without pairing to one(my iPhone) or two sources(iPhone and the Apple TV). In both instances the static noise was there.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Return process started, just send them off.

hopefully the replacement set will be ok, will update here with the info once I receive then new ones

Userlevel 2

I’m going to return the unit and wait until the problem is solved before getting a new one.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m going to return the unit and wait until the problem is solved before getting a new one.

I returned mine too today. I’m sad to be honest because I think they are an amazing product. I’m hoping Sonos is able to look into this issue and fix future units (hopefully before the new AirPods Max are released otherwise I might be tempted to go for those). 

If anyone here buys the ACEs again in the near future or gets a pair that does not have the problem - this only applies to people that can hear it - then please would you let us know? 

I have a feeling this will be fixed without Sonos making it public. 

Unpacked my Ace’s, did the update and now I got a buzz in the right ear. It’s more obvious on awarness mode, but is present on noise cancellation. I also had a frequent chirp every second, but that seems to have gone away. 

EDIT: Turn off Loudness AND Head tracking in the Sonos App.

Fixed buzzing on iPhone 15 Pro with BT 5.3. Buzzing still present on PC with BT 5.0

I have this exact issue. Static buzzing noise constantly in the right ear cup when in ANC or aware mode. When turning off all noise canceling I do not hear if. Connected to iPhone 12 Pro Max running latest iOS and an HP elite book for work calls. Such a shame to have this issue with a $450 set. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Unpacked my Ace’s, did the update and now I got a buzz in the right ear. It’s more obvious on awarness mode, but is present on noise cancellation. I also had a frequent chirp every second, but that seems to have gone away. 

Fixed buzzing.

Sadly it didn't for me. And that on 3 pairs of Ace headphones. 

Fixed buzzing.

The only consistent device I don’t get buzzing on is my iPhone over BT 5.3. I tried it on a PC after and it was buzzing while connected. I turned off basically any and all features as well.

Bandaid fix for me, unnaceptable that this made it through QA… Might be because of new update?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Fixed buzzing.

The only consistent device I don’t get buzzing on is my iPhone over BT 5.3. I tried it on a PC after and it was buzzing while connected. I turned off basically any and all features to as well.

Bandaid fix for me, unnaceptable that this made it through QA… Might be because of new update?

Straight out of the box this issue was already there. 3 pairs from 2 batches. 

Userlevel 2

I got a new pair before returning the old one, tried them next to each other, the new one doesn’t have the sound. I changed from the black version to the white version. Unless things change, this is a hardware issue. 

I have tested it on a couple devices and have found these results:

iPhone 15 Pro - No buzz
Sonos Arc Audio Swap - No buzz
iPad Pro M1 2021 - No buzz
Macbook Pro Early 2023 M2 Pro - No buzz on noise cancellation, Buzz on awarness..

Steam Deck - Buzz presesnt with noise cancellation and awarness
PC Ryzen 5900X with BT 5.0 Adapter - Buzz present with noise cancellation and awarness

I've had the same issues straight out of the box with mine also. Barely noticible when listening to most music, however unacceptable with and spoken-word media.

I've also had problems when listening over a wired connection - different issue completely, low volume and severe digital distortion.

Love the hardware, but I'll be returning until I see if this is fixed. 

I have this exact issue. Static buzzing noise constantly in the right ear cup when in ANC or aware mode. When turning off all noise canceling I do not hear if. Connected to iPhone 12 Pro Max running latest iOS and an HP elite book for work calls. Such a shame to have this issue with a $450 set. 

So I just updated my headset to the latest firmware, and it does seem like it’s helped a bit while the headset is in ANC mode. However it’s still there just not as bad. There is no change to the aware mode. Still really loud static.

Mine were picked up by UPS on Monday, and they’re due to arrive at the Sonos location in Poland on Thursday.

Not sure how long I have to wait after that before I receive the replacement set.

However, if the replacement set have the same issue, I am just going to send them back for a refund 😔

Userlevel 2

Mine were picked up by UPS on Monday, and they’re due to arrive at the Sonos location in Poland on Thursday.

Not sure how long I have to wait after that before I receive the replacement set.

However, if the replacement set have the same issue, I am just going to send them back for a refund 😔

That’s what I’m doing unfortunately. There is no hope with Sonos at this point but to return

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Keep us posted for sure! I’ve returned mines yesterday but didn’t organise for a replacement. Curious to hear from you if the new one they sent don’t have this problem (although, at this point, I doubt it)

Userlevel 2

Has anyone successfully exchanged their faulty Ace and received a new unit that DOES NOT have the ear cup buzzing/clicking issue?