Answered

Sonos Ace - Buzzing / Static Noise and low volume HELP

Show first post

174 replies

That’s a big queue.
Asked for a return, settled in 30sec. I'm out. 
Take care.

I have a similar issue it sounds like crackling whilst playing certain songs and don’t know what to do only go them today. 

Can someone from Sonos at least acknowledge the issue and provide some clarification on wether it’s software or hardware?  

Userlevel 2

There was a new update today (June 7th) for the Sonos Ace, however, it didn’t fix the static hissing noise on the right ear, at least not for me. It actually broke the Sonos App controls by making it one-way from the device, after the update, I can no longer set the noise control from the app.

I spent almost two hours with customer support troubleshooting the static noise issue but no luck. Replacement seems to be the only option. Really sad.

Userlevel 1

I did the update. The app works but the noise is still there (a bit less I might say)… 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just updated to 2.9.3-a09bbe3eb, the sound still exists.  It is much more pronounced when they are connected to my MacBook Air M1 as opposed to my iPhone 15 Pro where the noise is still there but less pronounced.

Userlevel 1

Is there a fix - I thought I was crazy but glad to see it is a real time. I quite enjoy them otherwise.

I think the level of noise corresponds with Bluetooth bandwidth in use.  First, if I move my phone within 3 inches of the right earcup, the noise goes away.  Second, the noise is very noticable when updating the headphones, yet almost disappears once the update completes.  The noise returns when playing a source like Spotify, but it's hard to notice until there is a gap in the playback. I suspect the intensity of the buzz may vary according to the codecs supported by your source.  

I'm hopeful this would be fixable via software as I don't want to deal with a return.

Userlevel 2

I am having this same issue! Received my white Sonos ace from Sonos on launch day. Today I noticed a buzzing or light electronic static noise coming out of the right ear cup and only while in transparency mode.

it is very clearly a Bluetooth connection static sound. I’ve tried cleaning the outside to make sure there is no dust affecting the mics but the sound albeit slight still prevails. I love the headphones but this kind of issue for the price range is unacceptable.

also not liking that I’d have to send back my headphone before they send me a replacement.it have to just return to Sonos and buy a new set from Best Buy to hopefully get a pair that isn’t faulty. 

Same issue for me. Most notible when in a Microsoft teams call and no sound is made. First noticed when everybody was out, getting a coffee. I don't know if this is the only scenario. I was connected through bluetooth and had multi point connection activated

My headphones are getting replaced by Sonos. I’m just worried that ALL headphones have the same problem. Some people are just less prone to notice issues like this.

If the next headphones have the same issue it’s an instant return for me.

Sonos started a vote on this on reddit. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/dBLyHzoCe4

Userlevel 2

I’m also using the multipoint bluetooth via PC (mac). I just installed the latest Sonos software update (at the moment of writing this comment) but it didn’t fix the right ear static noise. It did fix an app issue where clicking any selection of the noise controls wouldn’t do anything. BTW software update is not possible while you are connected via bluetooth to a pc or perhaps any other device besides your phone while in multipoint, the app just hangs and never shows you the progress.

Based on what I’m seeing, static noise problem is highly related to bluetooth, static goes away when I disconnect the headphones from the pc. Of course, it comes back right away when it’s connected back.

Sonos fan here, same issue and did a firmware upgrade.

Taking them back for a refund for $700 Australian, they should be perfect.

Userlevel 2

Is there any news on this? Also, I just noticed that within the Sonos community I cannot find any of the two larger topics regarding the right ear issues? When I search for ace buzzing or static noice there is nothing. So I used my history to find this page?? Hmm

Is there any news on this? Also, I just noticed that within the Sonos community I cannot find any of the two larger topics regarding the right ear issues? When I search for ace buzzing or static noice there is nothing. So I used my history to find this page?? Hmm

Nothing sinister going on, the search sucks for everything.  It just may be the worst forum software ever created.

I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this. Initially, I thought it was a hardware defect and considered replacing it. I really like the sound quality, but I was worried about the issue with the right ear. Hopefully, they can fix it with a software update.

Userlevel 2

Just installed the new update for the Ace and still the same static noise. I they don’t fix this I will return it  and buy the Apple headphone.

I think the level of noise corresponds with Bluetooth bandwidth in use.  First, if I move my phone within 3 inches of the right earcup, the noise goes away.  Second, the noise is very noticable when updating the headphones, yet almost disappears once the update completes.  The noise returns when playing a source like Spotify, but it's hard to notice until there is a gap in the playback. I suspect the intensity of the buzz may vary according to the codecs supported by your source.  

I'm hopeful this would be fixable via software as I don't want to deal with a return.

The static went away for me as soon as I put my phone up to my right ear cup.

Hoping for the same.

Just FYI: Just unboxed and set up my Ace, turned on noise cancellation and can confirm that I do NOT have the issue with static/buzzing sound in the right ear. Perhaps a faulty batch?

Ross.

Hook up to blue tooth via a tv and it happens straight away. So disappointed in this very expensive product

Userlevel 1

So is the ask now to create a support ticket with Sonos?

Hi, 

I hope anyone has a similar issues or noticed the same thing on their ACE (I’m hoping it’s a software issue and not hardware). 

Basically after testing my Sonos Ace today I’ve noticed that in my right ear (when on noise cancelling) there’s a static or buzzing sound almost like the mics for noise cancelling are not working properly (just a theory). 

I know it has nothing to do with my hearing as if I swap ears the disturbance can be heard in my left ear. So it’s defo a problem with the headphones. 

has anyone noticed this on their pair? I’m hoping it’s a software issue and maybe others have also noticed it so I don’t need to return my pair. 

I tried to call Support today but after I was transferred to the technical team I was left on a queue for over 50min and I gave up.

please if anyone else has this issue and it’s not my pair being faulty then let me know! 

yes me too  just as you say

Hi, 

I hope anyone has a similar issues or noticed the same thing on their ACE (I’m hoping it’s a software issue and not hardware). 

Basically after testing my Sonos Ace today I’ve noticed that in my right ear (when on noise cancelling) there’s a static or buzzing sound almost like the mics for noise cancelling are not working properly (just a theory). 

I know it has nothing to do with my hearing as if I swap ears the disturbance can be heard in my left ear. So it’s defo a problem with the headphones. 

has anyone noticed this on their pair? I’m hoping it’s a software issue and maybe others have also noticed it so I don’t need to return my pair. 

I tried to call Support today but after I was transferred to the technical team I was left on a queue for over 50min and I gave up.

please if anyone else has this issue and it’s not my pair being faulty then let me know! 

Me Too.

~40 dB crackle/buzz. Right side. Volume oscillates slightly. Still there in quiet environment.  Heard in Aware Mode with or without a wired connection to phone, but not in Active Noise Cancellation or Off modes. Is it inappropriately selecting and presenting some fraction electromagnetic spectrum?
Hoping too that it’s software.  Good to know about the long phone wait times.  Won’t bother calling for now  

iPhone 14 Pro

iOS 17.5.1

2.9.3 Sonos, Latest Update

Mark

2.9.3 Sonos, hearing crackling for certain songs, especially from youtube songs. Otherwise they sound real good. Tried with ANC on and off.

It’s quite disheartening.

Funnily enough, I tried the same song, 1 from Spotify and 1 from youtube. It’s clear in Spotify app, but not in chrome/youtube. Not sure if it helps but I hope there’s a patch fix

@Corry P Still nothing!