Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

After the S1 to S2 debacle this is another debacle. I feel utterly betrayed by Sonos having invested in you since 2007. I have 3 Ones, 2 fives, all fixed to my wall and power cabling chased in, a Beam, and Playbase and an amp. I’m completely reliant on Sonos for music. And I’m really upset about the reduced features and utterly bizarre UX you just imposed on me. It’s like a betrayal of trust between manufacturer and consumer. 

After the S1 to S2 debacle this is another debacle. I feel utterly betrayed by Sonos having invested in you since 2007. I have 3 Ones, 2 fives, all fixed to my wall and power cabling chased in, a Beam, and Playbase and an amp. I’m completely reliant on Sonos for music. And I’m really upset about the reduced features and utterly bizarre UX you just imposed on me. It’s like a betrayal of trust between manufacturer and consumer. 

Ditto

How about this, Sonos provides a way to rollback to the prior version in iOS and you guys go back to the drawing board and release a new app when it is ready. 

Sonos needs Crisis management here, not a please wait a year while we figure it out...

Needs to fire the idiots imnediately

So you’re free to make your own decisions.  But I’m not sure why so many here want to tell us that they are dumping / selling / returning their kit.  Your audience here is other Sonos users.  Well I don’t know you — without trying to sound rude, I don’t really care.  Your other audience here are the mods.  Well they no more have the ear of the CEO than the mailroom guy at Tesla has the ear of Elon Musk.  

iI’mnot saying you are making the right or wrong decision — it’s your decision alone — but why would it be for public consumption?  And if there was other kit out there more suitable for your needs than Sonos, wouldn’t you have bought it in the first place ? 

So you are basically implying that everyone should ‘suck it up’ and ‘you bought it, put up with it’?

Well… for one, personally I bought it for the sound quality which is undeniably superb. I knew nothing about the app when I bought the speakers, I would expect it to be usable and relatively polished, not render my system useless for my requirements, albeit for audio books. The fact that it renders a significant investment unusable is inexcusable, but not in your opinion? So using the same logic, if your car gets an overnight unwanted update to its software, that makes it impossible to get to work or pick your kids up that is OK? Or someone remotely renders all the locks on your house useless in the locked state, with you outside, that is also OK? It is the same thing, just a question of scale.

It is a persons inalienable right to be able to complain about goods or services that are substandard as is the case here. So suck it up! As for your statement ‘without trying to sound rude, I don’t really care’, it just indicates what a complete hippocrit you are. If you do not give a damn, dont bother reading the comments, and whats more, you even took the time to write a lengthy response. So with that in mind, obviously your time would be better spent learning other things than spending time on diatribes like that.

Using the new app on iPad iOS 17.5, crashes every few minutes when navigating around it and has to be restarted, the old app was really stable and almost never crashed

On iPhone 13 : 

no list, no album icons, error message when you try to get your musical library to the homepage. When I open an album, impossible to read more than one song, just the indication of spinning it to the homepage. 
And a future problem : Impossible to configure updates (automatic or no) because next one will be perhaps worse…
Is it possible to return back ? 
Get me out of this nightmare !

Thierry from France 

2 Era 300

2 Five 

3 One SL

1 Port

1 Ray

1 Boost 

How about this, Sonos provides a way to rollback to the prior version in iOS and you guys go back to the drawing board and release a new app when it is ready. 

Sonos needs Crisis management here, not a please wait a year while we figure it out...

Just buy a cheap android phone and sideload the old S2 app. 

Buying a cheap phone!!! What a ridiculous response. The app requires Android 7 as a miminum - that does not equate to a cheap phone. If you have an old phone I doubt there will be the functionality required. As for telling a gym owner that they should have some alternative just indicates how much you know about business and the required investment into it when that business is just ticking along. Who is going to recompense the business owner for loss of earnings on such a software shambles?

I will be surprised if this fiasco doesn't impact negatively on your future sales. I hope it does because that's all that matters to you at the end of the day. Prospective buyers searching the internet in order to contrast and compare competing streaming systems will come across this chapter in the Sonos story and stay clear if they have any sense. I know I would.

I have managed to uninstall this latest version and load up the previous but for all those users who cannot do this you must make the previous version available.

I won't be adding to my Sonos setup in future because I no longer trust you.

Also, less of the green virtue signalling rubbish - I get enough of that elsewhere - and do more to look after your customers.

Did you really sit around a table/have various meetings and seriously agreed to remove all these well-used basic functions? Really? 

New app is terrible, it lasted less than a day for me when I realised I couldn't add/change my alarm as it was a chime the morning before

System CONSTANTLY disconnects from app, I have mesh6 and zero problems with 16.1

Lost libraries, I see people lost their NAS servers too

Visually app is clunky and very slow, stop trying to make everything look like bubbles, not everyone wants iOS-looking rubbish (sorry apple people!) 

Very disappointing. I'll be using 16.1 and not updating until you force us all to update, then will probably seek alternatives if "improvements" (basics from 16.1) aren't reintroduced

In addition to the many many justified complaints, here are my priorities:

1. Clear and unambiguous admission you got this wrong.
  2. Roll back app to previous version for iOS users. It is not acceptable to make your entire customer basis beta testers with an inferior and buggy app with missing functionalities. Come back when all issues are resolved.
  3. Enable full search of local library (and not in some months).
  4. Add easy way to add custom URLs for radio stations (and ideally transferring from legacy TuneIn)
  5. Ability to order “Your services”, not just the “preferred” one
  6. Restore all Sonos Playlist favorites
  7. Fix icons in Mixcloud
  8. Dark theme (settable within in the app, not iOS dependent), optional: a range of app backgrounds as white is just awful.
  9. Ambitious timelines for implementation

To add:

TuneIn (new) favorites (which include custom URLs) show up correctly in the iOS controller in TuneIn (new) but are NOT visible in the web controller nor indeed the current controller for Mac. Nothing appears to be seamless or syncing.

iOS:

Web:

Can you please explain how the non support of SMBv1 will affect my music library?

I am currently an android user with my music collection on a local NAS. At present all my album artwork has all disappeared.

How do I add new albums to my disk when I can no longer find the disk indexing procedure that the app once had.

Tx

Will the Windows11 Desktop application be updated?

Can we hope to be able to choose dark or light mode independently of phone or tablet applications?

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Until this ridiculous situation is sorted out, I would suggest that android users uninstall and then visit:  

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/#downloads

and download and install the "arm64-v8a" file, that will at least get you back to what you had before this abomination was forced on us.

Hi Everyone

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Until this ridiculous situation is sorted out, I would suggest that android users uninstall and then visit:  

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/#downloads

and download and install the "arm64-v8a" file, that will at least get you back to what you had before this abomination was forced on us.

What a ridiculous idea, when they could spend their time and energy on the phone talking to their overpaid attorney arranging to sue Sonos for millions for loss of business because their speakers have stopped pumping out mindless repetitive meaningless squealing. Get real! 😎😁😊🔊

So you’re free to make your own decisions.  But I’m not sure why so many here want to tell us that they are dumping / selling / returning their kit.  Your audience here is other Sonos users.  Well I don’t know you — without trying to sound rude, I don’t really care.  Your other audience here are the mods.  Well they no more have the ear of the CEO than the mailroom guy at Tesla has the ear of Elon Musk.  

iI’mnot saying you are making the right or wrong decision — it’s your decision alone — but why would it be for public consumption?  And if there was other kit out there more suitable for your needs than Sonos, wouldn’t you have bought it in the first place ? 

So you are basically implying that everyone should ‘suck it up’ and ‘you bought it, put up with it’?

Well… for one, personally I bought it for the sound quality which is undeniably superb. I knew nothing about the app when I bought the speakers, I would expect it to be usable and relatively polished, not render my system useless for my requirements, albeit for audio books. The fact that it renders a significant investment unusable is inexcusable, but not in your opinion? So using the same logic, if your car gets an overnight unwanted update to its software, that makes it impossible to get to work or pick your kids up that is OK? Or someone remotely renders all the locks on your house useless in the locked state, with you outside, that is also OK? It is the same thing, just a question of scale.

It is a persons inalienable right to be able to complain about goods or services that are substandard as is the case here. So suck it up! As for your statement ‘without trying to sound rude, I don’t really care’, it just indicates what a complete hippocrit you are. If you do not give a damn, dont bother reading the comments, and whats more, you even took the time to write a lengthy response. So with that in mind, obviously your time would be better spent learning other things than spending time on diatribes like that.

I do give a damn about the comments — or at least some of them.   And yes of course people should complain; as long as it is relevant and in the right forum.  The point I am trying to make is that people are threatening here to sell / dump / return their kit — that’s not a complaint as such, and it’s not something the mods or the other users can help with so it’s not relevant to the forum.   It is said as some of kind of threat that a)  won’t make any difference and b) and I’ll stick with this one — nobody cares.   Let me demonstrate it this way — this year alone I have bought 2 amps, 2 Era 100s and a Port.  I not a fan of the new app but I am still happy with my purchasing decision and I won’t be returning any of it.   I’m not telling you this because I think you’d care, rather in this instance I’m telling you because I know you don’t care, and nobody else does, either.   It’s the same thing.  Go ahead return it — it’s your right.  It makes no difference either way.  Why post about it ? 

For all those who hate the loss of Music Library functionality I suggest you look at ‘SonoPhone’.

It does pretty much all SONOS functions elegantly. 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sonophone-for-sonos/id815251931

Thanks  Ken,   I believe we are on the same page.

Re the Icon:  We all must not leave out the Android folks - the more populous platform - and Android does not allow a single Icon in a folder, if that’s what you mean.  I prefer to reach out and grab the sonos app easily.  Yes that picture of my wife in black trousers may have to change.  😏

If you think the criticism is hot and heavy in here, go see Reddit.

A friend of mine was on the Beta team and pulled out due to many of the items discussed here. 
Who was pushing so hard to get this out?

Sonos should back this release off and revert to to the old app until all the bugs are fixed. 
I have no confidence in “upgrade this app” anymore. Until I see this community and Reddit happier, I’m staying on the old release on all my other devices. I just wish I hadn’t “upgraded” on my primary device, because apparently you can’t fall back :-(

I don’t understand while there are those in this community that continue to denigrate other users experience with the appallingly bad app. What do you expect them to do? Just bend over and take it roughly?

The ceo email given just gets diverted to support, so what are people supposed to do to make their voices heard?

Whilst I appreciate that what is happening is disruptive, user have very few options to get their point across (especially since senior management are absolutely deaf to the complaints). The simple fact is by having these message boards filled with users issues, it will potentially affect new users purchasing decisions. This will in return will impact the bottom line of Sonos.

Given that it is clear that all the Sonos execs are interested in is money, this may prompt them to reconsider.

I don’t understand while there are those in this community that continue to denigrate other users experience with the appallingly bad app. What do you expect them to do? Just bend over and take it roughly?

The ceo email given just gets diverted to support, so what are people supposed to do to make their voices heard?

Whilst I appreciate that what is happening is disruptive, user have very few options to get their point across (especially since senior management are absolutely deaf to the complaints). The simple fact is by having these message boards filled with users issues, it will potentially affect new users purchasing decisions. This will in return will impact the bottom line of Sonos.

Given that it is clear that all the Sonos execs are interested in is money, this may prompt them to reconsider.

I'm sure they've done the Financials and will tough this out.  Very few outfits go down except through massive criminality or a. catastrophic marketing error.  Sonos are walking a fine line at the moment on the catastrophe path. 🚶🚶🚶

Just buy a cheap android phone and sideload the old S2 app. 

That doesn't address the issue that i already have two ios devices that I have used with this system for 10 years.  I could do a lot of things.  Or since it is a Sonos product and and a Sonos update maybe Sonos should do something. 

I agree.  BUT they will do and act in their interests first.  There's little you as a user can do in reality.  Sideloading is one solution, but Apple restrict that.  SO what else to do? 

Are they though. Eventually I want a little music in my bedroom again as well as the kitchen and I don’t need much. As I have an apple tv now and a few smart bulbs a couple of homepod minis will probably more useful apart from the easy grouping ability with sonos.

I will most likely go with a homepod mini for the bedroom at least when I look into them a bit depending on how they work.

I agree with all of the negative comments about the new app: que management, recognizing and playing personal music library, retaining existing playlists,  needless  etc. Yet another example that “new” and “improved” is not BETTER.