Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

How about you just give up and let us install the old app while you sort your **** out!

Sonos is NOT a new startup looking for venture capital. It is a well established organisation with what should be a proper modification, test and release schedule.

But no, you just HAVE to go and behave like a bunch of TechBro corporate ******* and **** off all of your loyal customers and leave the accessability/disability market on the lurch because of some idiot in marketing.

JUST GIVE US THE OLD APP BACK AND LET WHOEVER WANTS TO HELP YOU TEST THE NEW PIECE OF CRAP YOU HAVE RELEASED.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Holy cats this thing is terrible.  Why are my playlists buried and NOT alphabetical??  Who approved this anyway?

Do you guys even know who buys your products?  This is astronomically bad.  Like, it would not surprise me to see that you used papyrus in this app bad.

How about you just give up and let us install the old app while you sort your **** out!

Sonos is NOT a new startup looking for venture capital. It is a well established organisation with what should be a proper modification, test and release schedule.

But no, you just HAVE to go and behave like a bunch of TechBro corporate ******* and **** off all of your loyal customers and leave the accessability/disability market on the lurch because of some idiot in marketing.

JUST GIVE US THE OLD APP BACK AND LET WHOEVER WANTS TO HELP YOU TEST THE NEW PIECE OF CRAP YOU HAVE RELEASED.

My gosh that’s it. I feel like I’m beta testing “new outlook”, and a committee of mid-level managers totally unaware of what UX is designed the thing.

OMG everything on the main page side scrolls now, and the bubble at the bottom is persistent.  Are you kidding me?

Did anyone with a device smaller than a 40” touchscreen do any real world testing?! Honestly this is pathetically bad.

Following on my previous post, the app now will not authorise my Apple Music subscription which is healthily up to date. My personal library of 12,000 tracks resides in Apple Music and now I am licked out, like others. Authorising subscription was a breeze in the past. I have boasted to friends and recommended Sonos to many people over the years. This new app is like discovering your mother doesn’t love you and has left town. I do hope we can revert to S2 which I loved. 

Why are there no long any volume controls on my Sonos Arcs on the new app? 

Antony

Thank you for acknowledging the issues and the widespread impact to the user community.

Now, please give us a way to roll back to the previous, stable iOS app - especially if it's going to be months until the issues are fixed (and, I hope, the UX re-designed for human beings who want control of their expensive speakers instead of marketing people who want to shove content down our throats) 

Will someone please get me some employee phone numbers so I can call them and wake them up every time alarm clocks go off in my house now that they in their INFINITE wisdom have removed this feature that me and 4 of my children were using?

THIS!!!!  1000% Give us back the previous stable iOS app!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very poor app. It’s not even in Beta mode…impossible to just the volume sliders. Can we have the old app back?

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. 

I’m going to go out on a limb here, but I’d venture to say it’s not the software development team that needs the feedback.  

It’s the executive leadership team who’ve decided to triple down on your “courage” strategy to ignore the customer impact of deploying v80 and removing access to v16.  

Thinking you can resolve the firestorm underway by rushing development is only going to create more issues for the whack a mole you’ll be playing.

How about this, Sonos provides a way to rollback to the prior version in iOS and you guys go back to the drawing board and release a new app when it is ready. 

Sonos needs Crisis management here, not a please wait a year while we figure it out...

Just buy a cheap android phone and sideload the old S2 app. 

That doesn't address the issue that i already have two ios devices that I have used with this system for 10 years.  I could do a lot of things.  Or since it is a Sonos product and and a Sonos update maybe Sonos should do something. 

I agree.  BUT they will do and act in their interests first.  There's little you as a user can do in reality.  Sideloading is one solution, but Apple restrict that.  SO what else to do? 

Your comment doesn’t help and I don’t get why you want to defend Sonos.  You must have some personal interest in the future of the company.  Sideloading the app is a band aid for some portion of users.  The real issue isn't finding some random solution for some users, but for the mfg of the products and the developer of the software to provide a supported fix.  People aren’t coming onto this site to trade hacks, they come here looking for solutions that were created by the company itself. 

This is why I made my simple statement.  SONOS should provide the S2 app to ALL users via Google Play or App Store.  The millions of customers they have need a legit way to use the systems they have invested in.

I have nothing to do with Sonos whatsoever. 

I'm not defending Sonos.  Look for some of my posts and you'll see how critical I have been. 

I'm being pragmatic.  Another post asking/demanding a rollback adds nothing.  Of course, it's a solution requested ad nauseam.

Sonos will do what they want whatever you do or say - that's reality. 

There's a workaround. Take it or leave it. 

Your posts are augmentative and useless.  I will leave it.

Who’s the brainiac that made something scroll horizontally on a freaking phone? Everything scrolls vertically on phones.

I have other phone apps which have horizontal scrolling sections/lists, so Sonos isn't unique in using this design approach.

How about this, Sonos provides a way to rollback to the prior version in iOS and you guys go back to the drawing board and release a new app when it is ready. 

Sonos needs Crisis management here, not a please wait a year while we figure it out...

Just buy a cheap android phone and sideload the old S2 app. 

That doesn't address the issue that i already have two ios devices that I have used with this system for 10 years.  I could do a lot of things.  Or since it is a Sonos product and and a Sonos update maybe Sonos should do something. 

I agree.  BUT they will do and act in their interests first.  There's little you as a user can do in reality.  Sideloading is one solution, but Apple restrict that.  SO what else to do? 

Your comment doesn’t help and I don’t get why you want to defend Sonos.  You must have some personal interest in the future of the company.  Sideloading the app is a band aid for some portion of users.  The real issue isn't finding some random solution for some users, but for the mfg of the products and the developer of the software to provide a supported fix.  People aren’t coming onto this site to trade hacks, they come here looking for solutions that were created by the company itself. 

This is why I made my simple statement.  SONOS should provide the S2 app to ALL users via Google Play or App Store.  The millions of customers they have need a legit way to use the systems they have invested in.

I have nothing to do with Sonos whatsoever. 

I'm not defending Sonos.  Look for some of my posts and you'll see how critical I have been. 

I'm being pragmatic.  Another post asking/demanding a rollback adds nothing.  Of course, it's a solution requested ad nauseam.

Sonos will do what they want whatever you do or say - that's reality. 

There's a workaround. Take it or leave it. 

Your posts are augmentative and useless.  I will leave it.

Fair enough.  Carry on then. 😊😎

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Simple question why didn’t you send out a email saying which features wouldn’t be in the new update till a later date 🤔🤔🤔 as some of us rely on alarms set in app for work or kids to school ? 
thank you Simon 

I don’t understand why the decision was made to release an obviously unfinished version of the app, instead of waiting until it was finished, stable and all features in place? This was only ever going to annoy faithful customers and potentially lose new ones, who will be taking their kit back to the shop on the grounds that they can’t get the software to work properly.

This APP is absolutely useless lost all my playlists. Queue is no longer available on the new app, have to get my old iPad out to use the previous version. Complete failure 

I’d love to be complaining about functionality at this point. I can’t even see my devices !  No contact/news/updates from Sonos. Never buying one ever again. Reverted to good old Bluetooth 

Sonos should allow to run both App version in parallel.  Let users to use the system features they are used to, and the same time experience the new app as evolve to become a better app than the older one.

The new app is not ready for showtime. Playlist, queues, alarms, timers are what does make Sonos a great all rounder.

I can’t search for music or radio stations because the search function on the app for iPadOS seems to be broken.

Everytime I do this it says “something went wrong. Try again. If your still encounter issues try look at our page services status.”

But on my android phone it works.

Please, return old app for ios into app store as one more app (alternative). Preferably version 15.5, in which hardware buttons for volume have been worked.

But do you have test the new app?!? On ipad many problems, i playlist on youmusic show the list and not all the music in the list, the play button give always error.

like a developers i can tell you never try the app in the device

How could any reasonable person even think that this poor excuse for an application would be an "upgrade"?  As a customer I feel like shit. I purchased very expensive products and I can now use them to play one song. Because then I need to manually look for another and again and again. I thied to rememver if I ever saw such an unforgivable fail. People responsible for releasing it should be fired immediately. I understand that errors can be made, but this is beyond error. You deleted all the content I had all the playlists. Previous app had some minor and irrelevant inconviniences, but this "new" is by all means THE WORST app available in the store. I cant imagine what can be worse. Luckily we can still use spotify app, because apple does not allow to play on system.

Seriously you should be ashamed.

Hi everybody, I'm streaming 50% of my music from my own NAS servers, mixed with other services like Spotify. Yes, I'm still buying CDs…

I am a little bit shocked right now that

A) I can't update the media library index from my android - at least I don't find it in the menus.

B) the search function completely ignores my NAS library.

I want the old app back...

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday the new S2 self installed.   Crapola! 

Persisted and after an hour everthing that works in this version worked.

Today, greyed out home page and something went wrong messages 😕

Uninstall, reinstall - hey! Working again... Except Sonos Radio stations didn't 😅

Replaced radios with vtuner equivalents... working! 

Gave up and told Alexa to play the station - bliss

Not really a pleasant experience to recommend to a friend or even an enemy 🤣😎

Sad such a good system has been so badly crippled. 

I really hope that the local music library gets fixed asap. Reading the posts, many others use this feature as well. I paid a lot of money for all my Sonos products and expect a good product. 
Thank you!

And paid to upgrade / trade in previous hardware that "needed" to be done a few years back !