Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos App broke my entire system. It is unstable

Dear Sonos,

The new app uploaded itself on apple devices and now my system is completely bricked/useless. I have ZERO components in my system. I have tried to factory reset it, doesn’t work. Tried resetting the app, doesn’t work. Tried to get hold of support to no surprise ZERO chat reps available at 10:30 eastern time, and 50 minute wait for support.

Do you people sit in a room and make up ways to piss your consumers off, because you are AMAZING at it? This entire system is about 24 hours outside of going in the garbage can since i can’t use them anymore.

If it’s any help the new app bricked my S1 Play:3 pair and they simply would not connect and register with build 80. Multiple resets and swearing later I used another emaill address, created a new account and got the 3’s, Move and Amp on build 80. A day wasted and support tried to blame my router.

My router’s feelings were so bruised after getting reset so many times that I had to take it out for dinner.

I’m in the same position.  System now unusable.   Tried  deleting and reloading the app, tried logging in and out, but none of my speakers will connect.   I’ve told my partner not to update the app. We have a party on Saturday and don’t want to risk having no sound system beyond a little tiny blue tooth speaker.   So frustrating to then receive the email from Sonos today promoting the shiny new app.

Lulu

I am probably going to “attend” even though I am not the kind of person that stops to see a train wreck.  I thought for sure that the app’s top managers would have been fired by now.

Dear Sonos,

The new app uploaded itself on apple devices and now my system is completely bricked/useless. I have ZERO components in my system. I have tried to factory reset it, doesn’t work. Tried resetting the app, doesn’t work. Tried to get hold of support to no surprise ZERO chat reps available at 10:30 eastern time, and 50 minute wait for support.

Do you people sit in a room and make up ways to piss your consumers off, because you are AMAZING at it? This entire system is about 24 hours outside of going in the garbage can since i can’t use them anymore.

Sonos usability decreases with every app “upgrade”. Originally I could play directly from my I-phone music library, then only from my Mac or NAS, then lost the use of volume buttons on my I-phone, and now the super useless add where I cannot even see my music library. 

Latest iOS update seems to have stabilized things at least. (Version 80.00.08) I’m able to at least play music and the Sonos app will actually open Spotify.

progress…

Sonos app upgrade on  my iPad lost my lounge play bar and surrounds.

it know they are there in the list but when I select them it removes them and sets back to kitchen.

only way to get music through to lounge is to play it in the kitchen and add lounge.

my collect is on a server, had to use Plex to access that, what happened to SMB!

As an early adapter to SONOS, they used to be the absolute best!  I’ve now got 14 (yes, really) zones and remember when we had a separate controller for the SONOS system.  With that said, SONOS has been slowly getting worse and worse and worse.  They used to do music but at some point it seems to me that their direction changed.

This last app “upgrade” is absolutely horrible!!  Like others have said, the new app took away functionality (what’s a music system without “mute”); the app now regularly reports that there are no devices and is “disconnected”; the lists of SONOS favorites is all broken in that now you have to click on an icon and then click play and more; once I find the station I want to play it often takes a long time for the music to start, players start then stop, then start again;  the volume controls are horrendous, there is no easy way to control the system/zone volumes well; the app is so totally non-intuitive it took me half an hour to figure out basic functionality when the app loaded itself; and so much more.  The app update should have been backed out after the first day.  It looks like a pre-alpha development system that got released by accident!!

I can’t even describe how disappointed I’ve become with SONOS.  They just keep slipping into more and more marketing, obviously poorly developed apps, and have lost their main goal which was to have simple to use, fantastic quality music throughout your house.  Even though I’ve got thousands of dollars invested in SONOS equipment and have stuck with them over the years, I have to now start looking for a replacement.  SONOS continues to show they don’t have their customers in mind and just head off in their own direction.

Screw this company. The last few years a constant battle with my speakers. It should not be this difficult to use speakers that are most expensive on market. This new app totally F*cked up my system. Now I can’t use either product. So confusing. Won’t link to account, won’t update and blames it on my WiFi. Fire the hell out of the entire team that developed this new app and those responsible for allowing it to be released. Screw Sonos, I’m out. 

Dear Sonos,

Agree, lost a few hours i can’t get back, have no components and a party in two days.  No music should be fun.   Very, very frustrating!  I was simply trying to add a new Sonos Move to my system...advice, if you’re thinking about setting up your system or a new component...WAIT!  

Has anyone who had their system lost been able to get it back??? So far my remaining hope has been the old desktop app, but they are pushing the new version soon. After that, all my stuff will just be expensive trash

I’m having exactly the same issue. Had Sonos for over ten years and now nothing works on my upgraded IOS app. I’ve gone around in circles, reset the app multiple times, reconnected one speaker by factory resetting it and then my other 4 came online. And then I went back into the app and everything is gone again 😡 to say this new app is rubbish is frankly a slur on garbage at this point. 

For anyone experiencing the same issues with the IOS app I just downloaded the Windows version onto my laptop and cross fingers it seems to be working… so far.  Not the perfect solution by any stretch but at least it’s something while Sonos tries to sort out this complete disaster they’ve unleashed on their unsuspecting customers.

ive always been a huge supporter of the brand but where’s the communication on this?? From the forum alone it seems everyone is having a kaleidoscope of issues, and there’s been not a peep from Sonos management. Exceptionally poor. 

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT TIME .We are Sonos dealers and currently have multiple new systems we have installed , None of them will connect on the new app . We have lost thousand of dollars in labor cost and will have to pull all these systems out , refund money and lose thousands more . 

I’m in the same position.  System now unusable.   Tried  deleting and reloading the app, tried logging in and out, but none of my speakers will connect.   I’ve told my partner not to update the app. We have a party on Saturday and don’t want to risk having no sound system beyond a little tiny blue tooth speaker.   So frustrating to then receive the email from Sonos today promoting the shiny new app.

Lulu

I am probably going to “attend” even though I am not the kind of person that stops to see a train wreck.  I thought for sure that the app’s top managers would have been fired by now.

Same here!  Deleted, reloaded the app, screamed.  Can’t wait for the party in the new house with the iphone speaker...

I can no longer use my Sonos speakers, the new app is stuck in a update loop, the app takes 1-2mins to open (which is annoying enough) and when it does it says update required, then says cannot update, try later - the help says to go into the app but the app is not accessible, as it's try to update..…

I've tried the app on another phone (phone software is older) the app opens a lot quicker and it says the system is up-to-date.

Bought Era 300s two weeks ago. Work fine. Bought Era 100 a few days ago. Worst experience of my life. 10 hours+, including over 2 hours waiting to get through to someone on Sonos's technical team across two calls. Not only do they not know how to get Alexa working post-app update, they freely admitted they themselves use the old version of the app! In the end, the lady I spoke to last just apologised and said she hopes they sort it out in the months ahead. 

This is the most miserable experience I had ever had with a new tech product. I will not be buying Sonos again. 

What need to happen so that SONOS can put back the old version of the app in app stores while fixing the embarrassing fiasco of the new app. I feel my money was stolen with almost $2K of useless speakers.

Has this been fixed for anyone? I assumed when the new app rolled out that it was an issue that they’d recognize and push an update to fix very soon. Over a week later and STILL can’t use thousands of dollars of equipment. This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. Customer service wait time was 75 minutes just now and from these posts it doesn’t seem like they have a fix anyway so I hung up. Class action I agree…

It’s tedious, but there is a way to downgrade, at least on Android. Search for “sonos APK” and look for a 16.1 APK (*not* any 80.xxx versions). Then search for “install APK using ADB” and follow the instructions. Finally, don’t forget to disable auto-update!

As I said, it’s tedious, but I now have the old beige app back again, which I never expected to be as fond of as I am right now.

Beware: many APK mirrors like to add malware to an APK, so ideally you have a malware scanner on your phone. You’ve been warned.

What need to happen so that SONOS can put back the old version of the app in app stores while fixing the embarrassing fiasco of the new app. I feel my money was stolen with almost $2K of useless speakers.

I totally agree, how can we canvas to get this done ?

The new Sonos app completely freezes my phone (GrapheneOS on Pixel) requiring a hard reboot. This is completely unacceptable.

Chatted w/ support for a bit, here’s a summary:

1. The new app, a major version change, does not have all features the old app had
    1. missing System>Network Library
    2. the right-side finger slider in each of the Music Library groupings like Artists, Albums, etc.
  2. It crashes Android phones if old app and new app are managing the same system
  3. No way to downgrade to previous version to wait until all old features are available and it doesn’t crash phones

Horrible SDLC and guaranteed the business side of Sonos pressured the appdev teams to get this release out before it was ready.

Hey Everyone! Not sure if this has been said yet but the Sonos app for Computer still works! I updated my gear accidentally today and it bricked but when i opened the app on my Mac it’s still working. Hope this helps as a tempoary solution till this company fixes this mess.

Ched

Hey Everyone! Not sure if this has been said here yet, but the SONOS app on Mac still works! When my iPhone, iPad and other devices all auto updated the app as a last resort I opened the PC app and it seems to be working perfectly! One device still has the old Sonos app but it doesn’t let you do anything without updating. Hope this helps as a tempoary solution!

Ched

Just forced me to update.  Broke everything.  Going to be a quiet party.  Always a good sign when customer service is provided by a companies customers.

Well, seems I’m not alone. Nothing works on the App. Can’t see my system. Tried to factory reset each items and add it again yesterday evening and I thought I was successful as everything worked. I woke up today with no system detected on the App and all devices disappeared.

seems like Sonos hasn’t answered to any of these posts. I guess not much to do… 🤷‍♂️ 

I think this about sums up the whole experience. I’ve managed to get my speakers ‘online’ but my itunes library that I’ve nurtured since I ventured into Sonos all those years ago is still redundant. The file path is a mere memory, nothing plays from it. Speakers are di, bluetooth or streaming services only. I do prefer some of the layout, I dislike the missing features. It was audacious to say this upgrade was courageous, it’s actually outrageous to try and gaslight your loyal customers. If this is to pave way for headphones they will kill their brand and company. Hopefully somebody gives a shit internally and they are working to fix the app and return the missing items. There’s no entitlement here, just frustration with a lot of investment into a product not doing what it was sold to do. Sort it out or get new management who understand what Sonos is supposed to be.