Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos App broke my entire system. It is unstable

Dear Sonos,

The new app uploaded itself on apple devices and now my system is completely bricked/useless. I have ZERO components in my system. I have tried to factory reset it, doesn’t work. Tried resetting the app, doesn’t work. Tried to get hold of support to no surprise ZERO chat reps available at 10:30 eastern time, and 50 minute wait for support.

Do you people sit in a room and make up ways to piss your consumers off, because you are AMAZING at it? This entire system is about 24 hours outside of going in the garbage can since i can’t use them anymore.

Man, I reeeeeally wish I’d come here before I did the update.  My Play speakers will only play the first song on an album or playlist (Spotify)- skipping or tapping something further down the line just starts that first song over again.  If my Roam is turned on it defaults to that and won’t let me add any other speakers to playback.  Setting not giving me the option to “forget” a speaker.  What in the actual fresh hell is happening over at Sonos?

I’m unable to connect wirelessly, I had to use Ethernet on the instruction of the Sonos rep., he said once I establish connection via Ethernet I can switch to wireless network by updating the network; we tried that only to discover that “system networks” is blank so he couldn’t fix it! Next I contacted my ISP and they tried changing my system to 2.4 to see that would help, it did not. So contacted Sonos again and they are “submitting my issue to the engineers” and to wait for an update to the app 🙄🙄.  So my speaker is useless  I thought about buying a different router, mine is spectrum, but not sure I want to throw more money on account of Sonos. 

How will this affect my system?

We've taken great care to ensure that this update only enhances your Sonos experience. Your products, features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved.

Just to remind you what the E Mail from Sonos said about the May 7th update, might be worth reminding them.

Bricked my house system. It's built in. 

Fire your product managers. Fire your CTO and Eng manager. I demand you set your Systems engineer on Fire as a sacrifice to the engineering gods. If u made aeroplanes we'd all be dead. 

Hire people who understand TEST, V&V. Do it fast. 

Then Test. Test. Test. Test. 

Thus update will probably destroy your business. Everyone is angry. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

my whole system is bricked as well. I luckily had the old version of the app on my iPad and got everything manually added back into my account with the exception of one of my Sonos One speakers. that speaker will not add back to my system no matter how many times I factory reset it. Sometimes I get to the connect to wifi and it just tells me it can't connect. Other times I get through that and it tells me I can’t add it to my account and to restart it and it will appear, but of course it doesn’t and I stay in the loop of hell. I’m utterly mind blown how much of a disaster this is and the fact that Sonos refuses to address it or fix it or roll back to the old app. I’m close to selling it all and buying a different product. I’ve spent more time than I want to admit trying to fix this disaster.

In another post I learned about iOS SonoPhone. 3rd party app…$2.99. Got my system working again!!!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sonophone-for-sonos/id815251931

There is also a version for iPad. 

Beware: does not work if your “System not found”

Don’t waste $3 more

Someone in one of the many threads related to App Disaster 2024 mentioned be able to access the “system” using a Win Laptop. So I booted up my old Toshiba to give the old Sonos App a try. Guess what: No deal. The old app is stuck in a loop searching for the system. when it does find it, it ask me to press the connect button on the nearest speaker. Doing that it tells me the system is connected and immediately goes back to “searching for your Sonos System”. It does this over and over and over.

I need whisky!!! STAT

Someone in one of the many threads related to App Disaster 2024 mentioned be able to access the “system” using a Win Laptop. So I booted up my old Toshiba to give the old Sonos App a try. Guess what: No deal. The old app is stuck in a loop searching for the system. when it does find it, it ask me to press the connect button on the nearest speaker. Doing that it tells me the system is connected and immediately goes back to “searching for your Sonos System”. It does this over and over and over.

I need whisky!!! STAT

You do know the current Windows Controller is still working, and is still available for download?  No reason to use an old version on an ancient laptop that’s probably well out of date with the current firmware. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

I need whisky!!! STAT

You do know the current Windows Controller is still working, and is still available for download?  No reason to use an old version on an ancient laptop that’s probably well out of date with the current firmware. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

Doesn’t work without a mobile device and all of my mobile devices are Apple. So there’s that…

Make it a double, please!!

Doesn’t work without a mobile device and all of my mobile devices are Apple. So there’s that…

What does that have to do with you attempting to use an ancient laptop to access Sonos via an ancient version of the app and (obviously) failing, when you could just download the current PC version?

Update is ridiculous, 

Beyond the issues we are all having, has anyone experienced Sonos disconnecting your mobile device from your WiFi network while using the Sonos app?

I don’t even know if that is possible but after the update I have been having intermittent WiFi disconnections/instability when using Sonos, just seems strangely coincidental

What does that have to do with you attempting to use an ancient laptop to access Sonos via an ancient version of the app and (obviously) failing, when you could just download the current PC version?

I downloaded the newer app and it still requires a mobile device to set up the Windows app. 
Your use of the word “ancient “ is very condescending, btw.

I also rolled back to 16.1 but make sure you not only turn off auto updating for the app but also disable firmware updates in the system settings. Otherwise they will most likely push out a new firmware to block access from the old app like they did when S2 first launched.

I was so looking forward to scoring a pair of the new Sonos headphones, often delayed but apparently now available.

Not any longer! Who in his or her right mind would follow the updated app debacle with a purchase of the company’s headphones?

Why on earth do they manage to wreck a perfectly good app with an update and then remove the old version from the app store. I have a TV bar and three S2s none will connect with the tv bar now. I feel like chucking the whole lot in the bin and get the Apple Homepod. I was just about to buy more. Thank goodness I read this before making that mistake. 

Has there been any official response from this company? I'm so disappointed right now. I don't know what to do. So much money invested in this thing. I am literally just playing music out of my iPad pro right now. And I keep getting pop ups on here cross selling me on new components. Ouch!

Update is ridiculous, 

Beyond the issues we are all having, has anyone experienced Sonos disconnecting your mobile device from your WiFi network while using the Sonos app?

I don’t even know if that is possible but after the update I have been having intermittent WiFi disconnections/instability when using Sonos, just seems strangely coincidental

100% going through this. My entire network has gone to utter hell since the update. Shockingly, Sonos support is trying to blame it all on the network because of this even thought it has been rock solid for three+ years until this app update which immediately sent my network and speakers into cardiac arrest. 

Update is ridiculous, 

100% going through this. My entire network has gone to utter hell since the update. Shockingly, Sonos support is trying to blame it all on the network because of this even thought it has been rock solid for three+ years until this app update which immediately sent my network and speakers into cardiac arrest. 

Interestingly when I called Sonos support, which I waited over 2 hours for a callback, I was informed that I had a router provided by my IP that had “known” issues. The Tech provided a list of routers that I should ask NOT to use. So called my IP (Spectrum) and basically they laughed at me. I decided to purchase my own router; still unable to find, create, or add to the System. And as the Tech at Spectrum said’ “sounds like an App problem “.

Simple solution: Fix the APP!

I have a feeling that Sonos is going to find a way to monetize this situation.

Update is ridiculous, 

Interestingly when I called Sonos support, which I waited over 2 hours for a callback, I was informed that I had a router provided by my IP that had “known” issues. The Tech provided a list of routers that I should ask NOT to use. So called my IP (Spectrum) and basically they laughed at me. I decided to purchase my own router; still unable to find, create, or add to the System. And as the Tech at Spectrum said’ “sounds like an App problem “.

Simple solution: Fix the APP!

I have a feeling that Sonos is going to find a way to monetize this situation.

lol yea “everyone’s router is the issue”  Gaslighting at it’s finest

their customers will find a way to demonetize Sonos

Me and my wife have the same Samsung Android smartphone (A52). On mine the Sonos app is downgraded again to previous version and on my wife´s phone the new app is still running. When you open the app on my wife´s phone, our system (12 Sonos speakers in total) becomes unstable instantly. You start music, but it stops randomly after a few seconds or minutes. Restart music and it stops again randomly. If we close the new app on my wife´s phone and open the old app on my phone and all runs smoothly again. No glitches at all. Clearly the new app is messing up the system! This is definitely not a network or router issue! And on top of an unstable app, crucial functionality is missing! But according to Sonos, the new app is a huge improvement. No sure on what planet they live...

What is going on with Sonos app? I just moved to a new house and had everything connected yesterday and now all of a sudden 9 of my dozen speakers have disappeared

What is going on with Sonos app? I just moved to a new house and had everything connected yesterday and now all of a sudden 9 of my dozen speakers have disappeared

Yea It’s ******! 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Thank you Sonos for this new app update. Nothing is working anymore.

No waking service, bad surging and so on.

Terrible. 

How can i downgrade to the previous version?

Hope to hear something from you.

Ymedik

Suggest writing to investor relations

Yea It’s ******! 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Suggest contacting their Board members and Investor relations. 

https://investors.sonos.com/corporate-governance/default.aspx

IR@sonos.com

Agree 100%!!!  New app is a piece of dog $hit. Do they NOT test in QA before going LIVE?  I was ready to purchase a Move 2, 2 ERA 300’s, and another Play 5.  That’s ALL ON HOLD to see what they do. It’s not user friendly at all, and crap don’t work.  Can only use the first 100 songs on my 400 song Amazon Playlist.  I HATE the new volume options.  Used to hit main volume to pull up each speaker volume at same time to adjust. Now it’s more difficult to manage. Just switching between music services is absolutely hideous.  Why don’t they ask customers for opinions before going live.  And make sure all the crap WORKS before supposedly upgrading.  I loved  my Sonos up till last week.  Extremely disappointed