Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos App broke my entire system. It is unstable

Dear Sonos,

The new app uploaded itself on apple devices and now my system is completely bricked/useless. I have ZERO components in my system. I have tried to factory reset it, doesn’t work. Tried resetting the app, doesn’t work. Tried to get hold of support to no surprise ZERO chat reps available at 10:30 eastern time, and 50 minute wait for support.

Do you people sit in a room and make up ways to piss your consumers off, because you are AMAZING at it? This entire system is about 24 hours outside of going in the garbage can since i can’t use them anymore.

OK the newest app update fixed the problems I was having with connecting and grouping speakers. I have to honestly say the app seems more stable than it did before the initial update. I’m curious if anyone else has it working now?

Splonge. I’m still SCARED to update the newest fix to the horrible app.  But that is one of my biggest issues is using the app turning on different speakers because when I hit APPLY it still won’t play the other speaker I try to add or remove from the grouping. So you’re saying the fix they sent out helped that?

I just want to play music. My system is now utterly unreliable and completely useless. Please Sonos help us or put the old app back. Funny how the only thing that seems to work on the new app is the adverts. I know Sonos are trying to fix things but disabling our equipment in the mean time is not on, please put the old app back I need to use my system.

same,

My rear surrounds aren’t connecting to my ARC.  I tried to run Trueplay or Truetune or whatever it’s called as that got erased with the new update, but it says I need updates to my speakers. I have tried one by one, hardwiring them, etc, update fails with five different error codes I’ve seen throughout.  What a joke.  $2k+ in hardware that can barely function on a basic level at the moment due to someone thinking this update “needed” to be pushed out now.  

GuardDog32, the latest update did fix that issue for me. I thought since my system was essentially non-functional why not try it. I updated my desktop (MacOS) and all the iOS Apps. 

Still totally broken with my ipad.  I just get this screen and it never finds my system. Unbelievable.

However all is fine with my old iphone that uses the gold coloured sonos app

I’ve been a happy Sonos user for over a decade. The app update made my system useless. All of the user comments are familiar - inability to update, non-recognition of speakers, system appearing and disappearing, lag times when it occasionally does work, rebooted speakers that connect and then disconnect. This update has consumed hours of my time and I’m done trying. Sonos, please contact me before I throw away thousands of dollars of your equipment and buy an alternative. * also for perspective, I’ve never posted on a message board in my life

I have been without sound for over a month. Sonos removed support for the toslink adapter for SPDIF after the new update. My Beam 2 is literally dead and customer service didn’t even know what SPDIF is. Never buying sonos again. 

I had my daughter update her app from the June 4 update to test on her iPhone as she don’t use the app like I do. The update did fix the “grouping and ungrouping” of speakers.  Since it worked on her phone, I took a leap and updated mine moments ago.  I can now work my speakers.  Still don’t like it compared to the old S2 (gold) app, but at least it is now working. My main issue now is my Amazon music playlist with over 400 songs still only shows 100 songs in Sonos app.  Lets hope they can get that issue fixed as I’m missing hearing my music!

Meanwhile I am trapped in the loop of updating my system, which says it is up to date, but I can’t back out of the screen to update.  I hit update, it says it’s up to date, then nothing.  I did try to add a Sonos One today and it gives me error code 1000 and error code 1002 when trying to update.  What a total crap app and update.  Very frustrating.

Forsalebyandy.   I’m sorry i can’t help on that as I’ve not had that issue on mine. I have a few buddies with Sonos and will ask around to see if they experienced any of these error codes. 

Forsalebyandy.   I’m sorry i can’t help on that as I’ve not had that issue on mine. I have a few buddies with Sonos and will ask around to see if they experienced any of these error codes. 

Thank you.  I have my office grand opening on Friday and I NEED this to be working by then.  FML

I'm the local tech guru and unfortunately there are a dozen people that depend on me for my recommendations and my advice with all things Tech. After years of recommending Sonos products to friends and family, I unfortunately have had to answer questions about why their expensive products stopped working incessantly this last month. Imagine my shame when I have to tell them that there's no way to go back to the older app. I too own a home theater system with all the bells and whistles like the subwoofer and a couple of Sonos 300 rears that work inconsistently. Also imagine my wife's rage at me as the maintenance guy that keeps everything running when I tell her that it takes quite a bit of effort to just watch TV. She wants me to uninstall everything. Unfortunately at this point I had to put out an email to my circle of friends and family to let them know that they should not be contemplating the new Sonos products like the move 2 or the Sonos Ace headphones. I'm drafting it now, and while I know that Sonos will fix the issues, I'm afraid that no one I know will ever trust Sonos again. I further worry about the issue of them telling subsequent people that they should avoid Sonos forever. I'm quite the Sonos Fanboy and it sort of hurts me, but I have to honestly tell them the truth about these products. I've had to justify it by telling myself that Sonos did it to themselves.

Agree 100%!  I have the playbar, sub, 2 Sonos One’s, one Move, and 2 Play 5’s.  Planned to buy 2 Era300s, a Move 2, and one more Play 5 but won’t be doing so at this time. I’d be afraid to attempt to hook them up and lose what system I currently have.  I ALWAYS brag about my Sonos.  Tell friends and family how awesome it is.  Can’t do so now. 

Just joining the choir when I discovered today there’s no more editing the queue! Yikes!

But the worst thing about the app is that it is almost totally unresponsive - I can no longer easily adjust volume, view what is playing in the queue, or even see anything related to the active queue. The app takes 30+ seconds to display or update, during which time I am attempting to adjust volume, etc unsuccessfully. In addition, many times the queue doesn’t even display - it throws an infuriating “Unable to load. Please try again.” message.

Runner JT

did you update with the June 4 “fix””/update”?  I had some of the same issues but the update fixed a few of them that you are talking about.

what do you mean by editing the queue?  Not sure I’ve done that before.

Hey GuardDog32, 

Thanks for your response. I think so, but how can I tell in the app what version it is? I didn’t see anything under “settings” or “account” giving the current installed version. On the app store it says the latest version is 80.02.04 and it’s not suggesting I “get” it but rather “open” so I assume I’m up to date?

In terms of editing the queue, you used to be able to click on the queue and then there was an “edit” option to rearrange or delete songs in the queue. now all you can do is save to sonos favorites or a couple of Spotify things. There’s no longer an edit option.

-- JT

Hello All - I am having terrible issues with this new app myself - Sonos is no longer recognized. I tried hard reset etc etc and finally got the app to say to me your Sonos system is now connected to your network, only to open the app and no device appears. I will very likely put this sound bar in the bin and NEVER buy a Sonos product again.

Everyone email the CEO Patrick Spence, ceo@sonos.com.  Let’s flood his mailbox and maybe get a apology and announcement from Sonos, we need to know when this is going to be fixed!

Runner JT

Open Sonos app, too roght

corner SETTINGS, About Your System, and see what Build you have. I have 80.02.04

Yes that’s same version I have

Runner JT

That is the latest version.  (Unfortunately).  

Sonos system has turned to complete garbage.  Constantly deleting my system.

I just reset my system and all my speakers and installed.

One hour later.... no sound.  App showed all speakers were playing but volume control did not work.

Then they disappeared from the app.

Wifi all in order..…

Sonos.... what have you done.... ???

Overpriced junk now... 

OK the newest app update fixed the problems I was having with connecting and grouping speakers. I have to honestly say the app seems more stable than it did before the initial update. I’m curious if anyone else has it working now?

I really find it hard for sonos not to improve with this update?

I confess that I waited with this update and let you be guinea pigs. I feel bad about it and am now updated, again.

After last update going through with this wasn't an easy decision. I don't really see any difference since it lost my system again and one speaker apparently isn't worthy.

It does seem some are experiencing improvements and that's great. But saying it's better, stable or working that comes from the lowest point of expectation.

In my case Sonos has succeeded in making us play less music at home. Sonos "Enkelt att lyssna" it says on their frontpage (easy to listen). Try saying that to my daughter 11 years with a vocabulary like Captain Haddock when hearing the word  Sonos.

Easy to listen my a**.