Skip to main content

Dear Sonos,

The new app uploaded itself on apple devices and now my system is completely bricked/useless. I have ZERO components in my system. I have tried to factory reset it, doesn’t work. Tried resetting the app, doesn’t work. Tried to get hold of support to no surprise ZERO chat reps available at 10:30 eastern time, and 50 minute wait for support.

Do you people sit in a room and make up ways to piss your consumers off, because you are AMAZING at it? This entire system is about 24 hours outside of going in the garbage can since i can’t use them anymore.

I have given up and placed it all in the basement, (2 play 5s, 2 play 3s, 2 1s and 2 roams). and re assembled my old HIFI from last century and just hearing the difference on how Real speakers sound (Bose 901’s) make me wonder why i ever moved away from these.

The new app is not only user unfriendly but also unstable, unreliable and unusable, makes one think it was perhaps also untested.

I was considering expanding my system but after this I won’t be purchasing another Sonos product ever again

In this tech oriented world one gets accustomed to seeing updates from their favorite brands panned by users of other systems. I think this is the first time I have seen a company totally destroy functionality of their product line and alienate the bulk of their base, and then deem it as a “courageous” step with hopes of regaining the level of performance of the old app in months to come.

Make sure everyone disables automatic updates in case Sonos decides to show anymore courage!

I removed, installed, unplugged, rebooted, waited, searched for, and cussed more in the past day than I have in some time.  Grrrrrrr.  Sonos!  Listen!

Keeping in line with the palindrome that is Sonos: Dammit, I’m mad. 

What a mess! Definitely not put through any serious level of QA. I’m a software engineer, and this is a total facepalm. I would never have let so many features slide. Time and time again, it truly does seem like Sonos would prefer that you simply use a streaming service and forget about local music libraries.

UI-wise, Sonos seems to be all in on the concept of the expanding/collapsing room pane that sits at the bottom, the problem is that it’s way too easy to accidentally collapse the pane when you don’t want it to (e.g., scrolling down in an open queue). It should only collapse when you pull the top handle down, not when scrolling further down inside the pane.

In the 10-15 minutes I attempted to interact and navigate the new app, I found the following missing or broken features:

• Frequent and inconsistent errors like “unable to load” or “there are no connected products”
  • Volume control wouldn’t work. It kept resetting to 50% -- too loud.
  • Can no longer “add to queue” for any playlists; only “replace queue”
  • Missing artwork
  • “Power scroll” bar no longer works when perusing large playlists
  • When you tap the queue icon in the lower left, it no longer jumps to show you where the current song is playing in the queue. You have to search for it.
  • When scrolling down in the queue, it’s way too easy to accidentally collapse the expanded pane, and then when you tap the expand the pane again, the queue is not longer open.
  • Shuffle feature seems to be broken

But hey, maybe there’s a free U2 album hidden here somewhere if I keep digging!

New app on Android  broke YouTube music integration. 'Shuffle all uploads' doesn't work. Can only play one song!? Are you fixing this Sonos?

New apps broke YouTube music integration. 'Shuffle all uploads' doesn't work. Can only play one song!? Are you fixing this Sonos?

If/when they fix is anyone’s guess. The update also f’d up cbc radio in Sonos, live phish and parts of TuneIn. Probably more. Things are royally f’d, prob take some to un- duck it. 

Read all these lists and I have exact same problems. The new App DIES NOT WIRK ON IPHONE. it shows no products. I have everything and still not working. How can So is release an app with so many bugs that doesn’t work!!!

BEWARE SUBSCRIPTION MODEL COMING!  I suspect this was not inadvertent. The features of basic functionality will return, offered only as part of a subscription service model and redefined as an “enhanced” experience. I fear this may be a greed based move, Sonos not content with the level of penetration of their paid Sonos Radio version has made an intentional change that met with an unanticipated level of angry user sentiment.

BEWARE SUBSCRIPTION MODEL COMING!  I suspect this was not inadvertent. The features of basic functionality will return, offered only as part of a subscription service model and redefined as an “enhanced” experience. I fear this may be a greed based move, Sonos not content with the level of penetration of their paid Sonos Radio version has made an intentional change that met with an unanticipated level of angry user sentiment.

Very interesting (and potentially very disappointing) theory…..

I updated the app and took my Beam 2 to my parents' home, and not only didn't connect to their Wi-Fi, but it completely bricked out and could never be reactivated again. Could only AirPlay connected by Ethernet.

My tip for y'all having activation (or any other) problems:

I'm an iOS user, so I had to find my old Android phone at home and install the Sonos app version 16.1 (the one before the newer update) on apkmirror.com. After installing it, I could finally resync everything. Later, you can use the newer version to do minor tweaks. If you don't have an Android, find one from a friend (ugh).

Do it at your own risk, of course.

I had all my devices back on this morning and it worked for three hours or so. Now disappeared again, absolutely bonkers !

+1 The newly released app also broke my system: "There are no connected products." Pure amateurism to test in the wild and break the user experience so badly. This is absolutely not acceptable for a paid product. I'm increasingly starting to think that the only premium aspect is the price.

Unplugged my Boost and rebooted the problem speaker, all seems to be working for now. It’s the first time I’ve know unplugging a Boost making things better?

There is a workaround available, with this you can get app version 16 back.

Read about it hear:

After this installation and blocking auto-update, my system worked as I want it again.

There is a workaround available, with this you can get app version 16 back.

Read about it hear:

After this installation and blocking auto-update, my system worked as I want it again.

I wish there was similar magic for the iPhone 

If it is a KNOWN issue- why don’t they just put that information out there?  I wasted tons of time on a chat the other day and this was never mentioned.  I have a 8 piece non-existent system.😱

Driving a Samsung 21 and all I am able to get is Non functioning grey boxes...after a tease that is is going to load.  Even asks me to sign in.  Then stiffs me.  So inoperable I can not even begin to critique or give useful feedback.  Reset multipleile times; uninstalled and reinstalled multiple time.

Diagnostics - 1580688847 / 1156365800 / 1650431998

Need to have the opportunity to roll back to a functioning and stable app...while SONOS “courageously “(hahaha) marches forward with this debacle.

Ps.  Went to 3rd part app for wife’s iPhone and it working well.

I had all my devices back on this morning and it worked for three hours or so. Now disappeared again, absolutely bonkers !

Same Here!!!! Get it back online. Works for a little then starts disconnecting speakers. Spent a BOAT LOAD upgrading my House. Worked for a month now not Useable

Same Here. Can reinstall speaker 1 by 1. Works for about an hour then all disconnect. I spent a boatload updating my house a month ago.  Now pretty much useless.   90 min wait time tech support!!!!!!

In another post I learned about iOS SonoPhone. 3rd party app…$2.99. Got my system working again!!!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sonophone-for-sonos/id815251931

There is also a version for iPad. 

In another post I learned about iOS SonoPhone. 3rd party app…$2.99. Got my system working again!!!

lol he learned quickly that was 1-99 yesterday 😊

I bit the bullet and bought it. Worked first time and automatically found all my devices. Happy days. 

I just suffered a major issue with my Play 3. Won't connect wirelessly anymore. Spent three hours tryna fix it. Nothing. I'm so mad. They need to fix this asap

Wish I could say reading all has put me somewhat at ease, but it’s a bit more frustrating that despite all the Sonos patron loyalty, Sonos themselves have yet to resolve or let alone even just respond with a “hey all, apologies for the inconvenience, thank you for your patience, we’re on it”

Yeah thank you Sonos 🖕

👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

GARBAGE