Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

@Mdudley63 

I’ve attached an example .gif animation to the post here,  which shows my Sonos iPad controller App switching the playing audio between two Sonos rooms ‘Dining Room’ and ‘Fireplace’ - see if that perhaps assists.

I first group the two players and hit ‘Apply’ and then in step 2 I ungroup the Dining room to switch the GC and then apply that to switch the audio to ‘Fireplace’.

Bullshit Ken_Griffiths

Sigh ..Oh dear some people are so ungrateful. I’ll just leave this with you - The animation I created a few moments ago though, clearly demonstrates this - you can see the playing rooms switch in the ‘mini player’ too.

Anyhow go sort it yourself. 

Bullshit Ken_Griffiths

If the suggestion Ken demonstrated did not work for you the correct response is:

“That does not work for me Ken, thanks for trying”.

One thing that is clear is that the issues with the app vary from user to user so somethings will work for some but not for others.

As I’ve worked my way through this update, So much simplicity has been lost!!! This is the latest discovery the screenshot doesn’t really show the whole story but it’s a good starting point.

I went to play one of my podcasts, which of course I happen to have not listened to for a couple weeks. Therefore, my first intent was to archive several episodes so that I may just start again with the most current. 

The ability to archive is gone! The ability to move the title of a particular podcast to the bottom of the queue or the top is gone!!

In this particular, I cannot get rid of episodes I don’t want and it is the same across all Podcasts.

The podcast playlist itself is no longer sortable, All of my podcasts are listed together, I just don’t understand why Sonos has done this. I was told on the phone from Customer Service that this was to improve quality of sound…. So why in the world did you change the interface of how to work with your program? 

I can’t even go back and change my typos in the title!!! 

ugh! This update is killing Sonos!!

I notice that I no longer know how to have a forum in French?

I usually listen to a podcast to fall asleep..... with the old app, it would play the podcast then stop at the end!

Now, in the morning it always runs in a loop, even though I didn't ask it anything!!!!
Plus before we knew how to set a timer, like the source (here the podcast) stops in 30 minutes... no matter how hard I search, there is no trace of this timer!!!!!

Plus the favorites which take a long time to arrive and which are no longer sorted in alphabetical order!!!!

I really have the impression that there are always fewer services and ever more expensive prices!!!!

help me !!!!

In the new IOS app, the list of available services seems to have turned into a row of logos with no labels. How am I supposed to know which is which? A few of the logos have useful text to identify them, but mostly they are just abstract geometric shapes with no inherent meaning. I find that I just cannot remember which service each of the logos is associated with. Is there any way to get the textual labels back?

To anyone who has lost their music folder either on phone or MAC …..

IN CONTENT SERVICES,

CLICK MUSIC

CLICK APPLE

THEN 

AUTHORISE

SORTED !!!!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE

I notice that Sonos stock price is down...

I also have soooo many issuea with the new app. One is that the app is significantly slower, like veeery slow, in reacting after eg I add a speaker to play what I am currently listening to on another speaker. And I am so confused about how to do even the simplest tasks - and even after having figured it out (mostly by accident), it is so illogical so I cannot remember/reproduce the steps the following days. I now have reverted to listening from the phone speaker instead…

The new app is a complete and total disaster. It is clear that they did not test it on Sonos users, or there would've been an uproar from the test users. If Sonos does not want a complete PR And revenue disaster, they should immediately make the old app available while they work out the bugs on the new app. This is a very simple solution.

I have recommended Sonos to the numerable people. If they ask me now, I would tell them absolutely not an under no circumstances should you get the system?

@press250,

Heres a quick .gif recording of me adding Genesis - ‘Trick of the tail’ from my local NAS library to Sonos favourites and it showing with no album cover - I go onto show the tracks though do play. See attached.

Thanks for doing this, Ken. Quite the conundrum: I just duplicated your steps (using the exact Genesis album from my local library, lol) and while it does show up under “Sonos Favorites” the icon is grayed out and not selectable. Adding to the mystery further, the album shows up (not grayed out) and is selectable on the new iOS app.

@press250,

Heres a quick .gif recording of me adding Genesis - ‘Trick of the tail’ from my local NAS library to Sonos favourites and it showing with no album cover - I go onto show the tracks though do play. See attached.

Thanks for doing this, Ken. Quite the conundrum: I just duplicated your steps (using the exact Genesis album from my local library, lol) and while it does show up under “Sonos Favorites” the icon is grayed out and not selectable. Adding to the mystery further, the album shows up (not grayed out) and is selectable on the new iOS app.

I think we just have to accept @press250 that these things will get fixed, but it’s perhaps a case of priorities. The new App was clearly launched incomplete (which is clear from things already put out officially by Sonos). I assume there’s a lot of code in the old App that needs ‘transcribing’ over to the new App - I’m guessing the bugs will disappear as things progress. It’s just not likely going to happen overnight.

I guess that’s unlikely going to placate people, but I’m personally inclined to just wait now and see how things pan out with each new App update.

The old app is working fine.  I'll probably give the new one a try again in a few months.  Maybe by then they'll have it fixed. 

The old app is working fine.  I'll probably give the new one a try again in a few months.  Maybe by then they'll have it fixed. 

I am on 16.1 still all is working for me all updates are disabled doubtful I will ever update again tbh

Sorry if this was said already but here are some things I’d like to see in future updates:

EQ controls more easily accessible - they used to not be buried in the settings menu, now they are.  I prefer the old way because it took less time and made the experience of using the app better. 

Mute button - there used to be one, now there isn’t.  Turning the volume control down to zero doesn’t provide the same functionality when the speakers are grouped.  If the house is grouped and playing music and someone gets a phone call and needs the music muted a mute button had advantages over turning the volume slider down or ungrouping the room.   If someone else adjusted the Group volume, the “muted” room gets turned up too.  I guess I just took for granted the years of Mute button functionality I had.  Ungrouping and regrouping takes more time than muting and un-muting - more time might mean missing that phone call.  

Volume sliders that are more responsive and don’t jump around.  I thought the erratic volume controls were due to my network environment, but the 3rd party apps SonoPad and SonoPhone have a quicker reaction time and don’t jump back a forth after the volume is adjusted the way the official app does. It would be nice if the Sonos app volume control could function at the same speed as third party apps.   

I use Apple Music, so these are related to that service:

• Browse Artist or Album from a currently playing track, or by selected the track from the queue.
  • Pinned Collections (Apple Music albums) - would be cool if all the albums showed and not just to the letter C.  An alphabetical slider electric would be useful to scroll through these albums.  Since they are currently limited in count, it’s not too cumbersome to just flip through the A through C options I’m presented with.  

If Sonos doesn’t bring back the previous app within the following month, I am going to sell all Sonos products. This is not the first time and Sonos demonstrated perfectly that they don’t care about the customers. Unbelievable. I hope others will boycot Sonos as well. 

The new app version is horrible.  Decreased functionality aside, I find the UI to oversimplified and not intelligent.  The new app always defaults to a remote room with a single Play:5 setup.  The Sonos Roam never connects anymore and requires a factory reset.  When the Sonos Roam “does” work, the app takes 2-3 times to allow me to select Roam and ONLY Roam from the Sonos equipment in 3 other rooms.  Instead, it always wants to default to kitchen (Sono Play:5) and ignore my selection of Roam only.  

Roam has always been horrible compared to the last 3 generations of reliable standards.  This version of the app now released just tells me that Sonos is ill-prepared and/or simply does not care about user experience.

Wtf I can't control *. Change it back. Whomever wrote the new app would * up a one car funeral

*Moderator Note: Modified subject and content in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

If Sonos doesn’t bring back the previous app within the following month, I am going to sell all Sonos products. This is not the first time and Sonos demonstrated perfectly that they don’t care about the customers. Unbelievable. I hope others will boycot Sonos as well. 

Sonos has made a statement to have the missing features back next month. Threating to see your equipment and boycott Sonos is a bit counterproductive if you don't follow up on it.

I have no issues with connecting to speakers/system, connecting to my local library, alarms or queueing. I updated a single device, just incase there were issues with the app…  There are and there have been many complaints. But I would never auto update or update without something to fall back on. Should Sonos have made it possible to roll back, absolutely. Especially for those who have issues.

I am excited about the new app and am waiting to see what improvements will be implemented in the near future.

Will I join a boycott, no. in fact, I just purchased a Five on the weekend and adding it to my system was as easy as it always has been.

It is clear that Sonos never flooded the app to actual users to test it and get feedback. They want the feedback now? This is already a huge PR and upcoming revenue disaster for Sonos. There is a real simple solution. Allow people to go back to the old While they go to the drawing board and actually test, any update with real users of the products. There are any number of people who got Sonos on my recommendation. I guess I need to apologize to all of them very soon. As to the person who suggested a boycott, and to the person who suggested that that was rash, I would say putting out and pushing an update that has never been tested by actual users is rash. It doesn't take three minutes of trying to use the app to realize how awful it is. This was a play to get people to use Sonos music and searches instead of Spotify. 

The street is coming for you Spence. 

I was an early adopter of Sonos and have $$$$ invested in speakers -- what started out as a good idea - first smart speaker has turned into a ecosystem of substandard speakers that are have no charm .. I would rather run wires and have something that is reliable … I try to turn down the volume and have to go over to one of the speakers and do it manually but that is the start they drop out AND NOW the new App is a bad as it gets!!! no choice but this crappy interface that looks like they sub’d it out to a bunch of idiot coders who couldn’t UX their lunch - I will be moving out of sonos and will be running over these crappy speakers with my truck that is the only noise left in what has been a really bad investment!!! I am sure there are good folks with good intentions that work at Sonos so I call for you to fire your management and find someone who can lead you from the edge!!! 

Total ass pain.  Switching brands.

Ok… I do feel compelled to say the interface is much cleaner and speedier in my experience and at least for us iOS folks mimics the Apple Music experience. Additional positive, actually making changes to volume when things are happening is much speedier. This is about where my positivity ends. The app seems to have thrown everything that we knew about how our Sonos systems work out the window and I’ve managed to “make it work” with much consternation. I was super impressed with the look, the functionality leaves a LOT to be desired. Multiple family members are confused and keep adding their audio feed to other rooms. I think I figured it out, but the system is laggy to switch to local feeds. I love the promise of the new app, I hope you can figure it out. 

The new app is horrible. I’m pretty sure that every time I use the app, it’s sending my request to an operations center in Santa Barbra where a bunch of people are using a massive excel sheet to track every Sonos speaker, system, and music source, on the entire planet. I add a room and the ops center calls a frantic meeting, people scramble to check the spreadsheet, someone creates a PERT chart, another assigns action items, someone else goes back to check the excel sheet since it’s not making sense, they all have a quick prayer, they take a bio break, and then there’s a review meeting and a post-mortem to discuss what just went wrong. All I see is a bunch of “sorry, we could not connect/try again” messages in my app. Then the party’s over and I’ve gone to sleep, and the song starts playing. Pretty awesome!