Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

The new app is absolutely horrible. You wrecked my system!

Put the battery indicator back next to the battery symbol as before. Now I have to laboriously go to submenus until I see the status display in %.

La dernière mise à jour est ATROCE, illisible, tout sauf intuitive ! Plus ça va plus l’utilisation de Sonos est vraiment indigeste : c’est honteux !!! Je suis de plus en plus déçu ! 

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-

The latest update is ATROCEOUS, unreadable, anything but intuitive! The more things go, the more indigestible the use of Sonos becomes: it’s shameful!!! I am more and more disappointed!

Die Sonos App verliert sehr häufig ohne Grund den Kontakt zu meinem WLAN und ich muss erst den Router neu starten und mich neu anmelden, damit ich die App nutzen kann.

Zudem kann sich die neue App meine Radiosender nicht merken…

Die neue App bietet außer einem anderen Aussehen für mich nur Verschlimmbesserung.

Geht es euch auch so?

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-

The Sonos app often loses contact with my WiFi for no reason and I have to restart the router and log in again so that I can use the app.

In addition, the new app cannot remember my radio stations...

Apart from a different look, the new app only makes things worse for me.

Do you feel the same?

Beim Regeln der Lautstärke fehlt seit der neuen App der numerische Wert. Man muss nun also schätzen, wenn man mehrere Räume steuern will.

Wie blöd ist das denn?

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-

Since the new app, the numerical value has been missing when controlling the volume. So you have to estimate if you want to control several rooms.

How dumb is that?

My Sonos keeps telling me try again something went wrong

It would have been wise to propose this new application aside the older one, giving customers (I prefer this term to users, as Sonos should be less reckless with those who pay 😊) time to fix the main issues while some users would be able to stay on the other app as long as they could/want 

Like many other, I have had problem on connected apps l, could not put any radio anymore, people in my house would only be able to put music if logged in with my account, etc ... All restored with the roll back to version 16.

A bit shameful the management, as for the communication, I love the minimisation (some user, we have seen a few posts.... 🤣🤣🤣) quite blind and a short if denial for the definition of a catastrophic change.

Now the good stuff, I already was able to buy inexpensive second hand speakers... Just need to trust they will not go bankruptcy before it is fixed.

Good luck. And well done to the chief architect and the ones that pushed the go live button.... Limit of agiles or at least, you did not define the scope of MVP properly.…

The basic thing a music app should be able to do ie make a playlist, add next, add to end of queue all missing. Why would you update an app and release it with these basic features missing? I curate playlists from Apple Music, YouTube Music and Bandcamp and now can’t do this. I can’t even add the next song without letting the one I'm currently listening to finish.

Thank GOD the new Sonos ADs are working front and center in the new APP. It really isn’t that important that I can no longer access my Music from my NAS that I have enjoyed for 15 years running. Playlists with a queue that are editable, who cares! I can wait another year or so to have a fully functioning system I’ve invested thousands in, … what I can’t wait for is wanting to see what Sonos wants to sell me next! I love the product but having nothing but contempt for Sonos now. I will never recommend it to anyone again, nor will I invest another dime in a company that is so arrogant and dismissive of what they’ve done with this ridiculous new App launch.

Just installed the app on my Android tablet. It’s a little boring with its grey-scale colouring, but overall it does not seem too bad. I get the feeling that it is easier to move between rooms and move music between rooms, something I do quite a bit.

I am using the android app and it cannot find any of my 4 speakers… my iphone app works ok (with delays and outages sometimes)… but the android app doesn’t work at all for me… glad to know someone is having success.  It just gets stuck searching for Sonos products…

I did a test on my office iMac that USED TO play music on my Sonos speakers in that particular location. I was being denied access no matter how many permissions I granted to hard drives, folders...etc.  So, I completely deleted the S2 controller via an app cleaner that removes all of the specks and particulates that permeate a computer during install.  I downloaded the S2 from Sonos’ downloads page and reinstalled it.  I then went to add the Sonos Music Library that previously had worked and… it wouldn’t work. I restarted. Still wouldn’t work. I can only attribute the problems to the iOS app that I installed a week or more ago that completely upended my Sonos ecosystem. I am beyond pissed off.  Sonos needs to fix this sh-t show and soon.

What error message did you encounter during your attempt to setup your local library share?

Did you check the actual library folder share permission included "Sonos Wireless HiFi System”?

Hi, Ken… thank you for replying. I got the “319” error and, I followed the link (on a different thread) that detail how to resolve that, with varying degrees of success. The bottom line is that when I originally set up my system in 2014 it was seamless and without issue. Now, the unfortunates - myself included - are scrambling to repair a system that wasn’t broken. My fear is that, in my impatience, I’ve jacked up my iMacs due to an iPhone update. Again, thank you for reaching out again. I’m kind of at Sonos’ mercy at this point.

If you haven’t tried it yet, this worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1cuasf1/fix_for_libraries_on_external_drives_or_nas_on/

The last steps have to be repeated any time your playlists are updated, but at least I have my music back.

Really hoping that at some point I’ll be able to add my local music library without all of this rigamarole. You know, the way it was before this blighted update.

Upgraded fully to “S2” last month and was content (not thrilled) using the S2 mobile app. Preferred the S1 mobile app for its simplicity -S2 was less intuitive but manageable. This new app is just plain broken. Huge fan of your products and an early adopter. Praying for either a major update or the option to rollback to the previous app if the new app cannot be overhauled in a timely manner. The urgent fix, as others have posted, is to rectify loss of functionality: speakers dropping off the app, services not connecting, speakers no longer receiving commands, hangups, products playing in the wrong room etc. Never had a problem that was not rectified in a timely with phone support in the past - this goes beyond phone support. Then there’s the new interface. Friends can no longer navigate the app and I’m having trouble myself. I own ~$10,000.00 of Sonos speakers and obviously a Sonos advocate. Please do the right thing and rectify even if it requires a rollback to “S2”. Looking forward to any upcoming changes, updates and/or announcements. 

The new App is horrible!! System went down can’t connect to half my Sonos system. App is slow loading many buttons non functioning- basically a total S**t show!!

My iPhone XR, iPad and Android Tablets are all working okay here with the new Sonos App. The ‘Web App’ seems to be okay aswell on the PC & Tablets.

My only complaint, apart from the ‘widely-mentioned’ missing features that Sonos say they will be adding back to the App, is I just find the new App a little slow in some places. I’m hoping things will speed up a bit more at some point, further down the line.

I don’t mind the App UX/UI layout, although some tablet screens (now playing & room grouping) could be improved both with further features and by making those fill more of the larger screen, especially in landscape mode. I see that this was mentioned/accepted in the Sonos AMA discussion anyway so I’m keeping my fingers-x’d that will happen aswell.🤞

Anyhow the device controllers are stable and working okay and I can access my NAS (SMBv2/3) locally shared library too, so l’m not overly bothered by the delay of getting back the features in the App, as I can get by and have my selected music playing on any chosen room/group.

Alexa voice services all seem to be working aswell and things like ‘AirPlay’, ‘Bluetooth’ and ‘Direct Control’ (SMAPI) audio, are still available for use with all the other A/V Apps/players installed on my devices. 

There’s going to be a LOT of secondhand Sonos gear for sale. 

I’ll give it to the end of June to fix this major fluff up. What are you going to do to keep us as customers Sonos?  Nothing? Then my Sonos stuff is being replaced. I won’t be back. 

My iPhone XR, iPad and Android Tablets are all working okay here with the new Sonos App. The ‘Web App’ seems to be okay aswell on the PC & Tablets.

Glad for you. My iPhone XS and my iPad do not work with the new app.

My only complaint, apart from the ‘widely-mentioned’ missing features that Sonos say they will be adding back to the App, is I just find the new App a little slow in some places. I’m hoping things will speed up a bit more at some point, further down the line.

Indeed, the new app is tragically slow. It's a disgrace. Indeed, a lot of functionaly is missing in the new app. It's a disgrace.

Anyhow the device controllers are stable and working okay and I can access my NAS (SMBv2/3) locally shared library too,

No, they're not stable at all. My library comes and goes and there's no telling why and when it comes or goes. It's a disgrace.

Anyhow the device controllers are stable and working okay and I can access my NAS (SMBv2/3) locally shared library too,

No, they're not stable at all. My library comes and goes and there's no telling why and when it comes or goes. It's a disgrace

FWIW - I’m not seeing this issue with my Netgear NAS library, my library is always showing under ‘Your Sources’.

I can even power off the NAS box and the ‘Music Library’ entry stays there. So not sure why some are seeing this with their local library🤔?

Hi @Ken_Griffiths, I’m having an okay-ish experience with the new app on iOS but a pretty poor experience with the new app on my Android tablet. Here are two examples I’m keen to get working:

1. My “Sonos Favorites” include local library music and streaming music. The icons for streaming music work fine, the icons for local library music are grayed out (not functional)
  2. Streaming music displays album art just fine, local library music NEVER displays album art (not when I am browsing music, not when I am playing music)

All of the above work fine on the iOS app, so it very much SEEMS to be issues on the Android app.
Are you seeing the same n1] and a2] above on your Android tablet? Confirmation would be helpful so I can stop experimenting. Thanks!

Ahh, one more question as you’ve also got the bases covered on iPad. Again with local library music: when I browse to an artist, the albums are displayed as a vertical list; is there any way to view the albums as a grid on the iPad app? The old app displayed albums as a nice grid making for much easier navigation.

As an integration professional...this has been an nightmare. I would say 80% of our calls in the last week are due to the new app. Absolute s***.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

@press250

I don’t have any playlists in favourites from my local music library. I keep my local music tracks separate from the streaming services and use my own .m3u playlists (held in a library folder). I also mostly create my playlists in the various streaming services native music App and then let them show in the service in the Sonos App. I have very few ‘Sonos playlists’ in the `Sonos App’.

Onto the library Artwork - the iOS controller is very much ahead of the Android controller. My album artwork is 600px x 600px and I both embed the album cover in each individual track, aswell as using a folder.jpg image in each album folder.

With some exceptions the artwork displays in most places (not all) on iOS when navigating around the library - the Android controller though is really lacking in most areas, but all the tracks do play. Clearly it’s still a piece of work in progress.

No, they're not stable at all. My library comes and goes and there's no telling why and when it comes or goes. It's a disgrace

So not sure why some are seeing this with their local library🤔?

It's because the Sonos app is disfunctional.

Clearly it’s still a piece of work in progress.

That's a rather positive way of stating things. I tend to see things in another way. I had a good Sonos sound system of which I was proud. Nothing changed in my system. Then came the new app. Thanks to this new Sonos app my system has become unusable: a coming and going music library, no more playlists, no more queue, no more mute button and all the other flaws people talk about in this community. Thanks to Sonos. It's a disgrace. That's how I see things.

I have been trying for 8 days to get my system reconnected since last “upgrade”. Pathetic. Tried the phone support line Friday to be greeted with “you call will be answered in 65 minutes. What kind of cr@p is that? Furious from UK.

Roll back Sonos. Swallow your unearned pride and admit you f*cked up. #firespence #firetheappteam

@press250

I don’t have any playlists in favourites from my local music library. I keep my local music tracks separate from the streaming services and use my own .m3u playlists (held in a library folder). I also mostly create my playlists in the various streaming services native music App and then let them show in the service in the Sonos App. I have very few ‘Sonos playlists’ in the `Sonos App’.

I am not creating playlists, FWIW, I am simply marking a handful of local library albums with “Add to Sonos Favorites.” (I have experimented with creating playlists for said albums, and the results are also grayed out.) It’s an awfully rough bug for me, as I rely on those shortcuts pretty much exclusively when listening via my Android tablet. I’ve reported the bug ...it seems the iOS app is the focus of Sonos’ dev team, so I keep hoping for a workaround.