Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just out of curiosity I’ve changed my routers 5ghz channel to 40 and I’ve confirmed my living room system has moved it’s ad hoc network channel to 48. I’ll stick with this and monitor 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

OK @peterbault - you are correct. My system is fully working and below shows the ARC and the RS (see below). So we probably need to all keep tracking the before/after for the sound drops.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yes I’m interested to see if the HT channels match after a breakage 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

if this ends up coming down to changing my routers 5ghz channel I’m going off the grid and moving to the woods 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hang on, why is my ARC showing:

Mode: INFRA (sonosnet)

And my other speakers in my HT setup showing:

Mode: INFRA (satellite)

From a post by @ratty on another thread, he explained that INFRA was standard wireless. So why when I have a Boost and SonosNet is the HT showing as INFRA?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Channel breakage on the 5ghz ad hoc network but still connected via 2.4ghz on the operating channel would explain why the speakers still appear connected any the app after breaking 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Like @peterbault, I’ve also *fingers crossed* haven’t really had any issues since installing the Sonos Voice Control.  It’s been fairly stable since installing 14.8, to be honest.  I think I had maybe one or two dropouts after 14.8 (and a lot during 14.6), but it’s all been good since.  

Since enabling SVC, I started experiencing lagging and have just removed it again. Don’t know what the solution to the problem is.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

my office setup is using 5ghz channel 5825 (165) hmm 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Why do you think that is a problem @peterbault?

Also, is your systems showing your HT rears and subs as being in which one of the below? (When you compare your two systems)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I just experienced the issue for the first time on my office setup with my LG CX. I checked and the channels did change but they match between the arc and other speakers 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Why do you think that is a problem @peterbault?

Also, is your systems showing your HT rears and subs as being in which one of the below? (When you compare your two systems)

Didn’t think it was a problem just interesting it picked such a high channel. Yes my speakers show the same as you 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I just experienced the issue for the first time on my office setup with my LG CX. I checked and the channels did change but they match between the arc and other speakers 

That is very bad news. Sorry to hear that for sure. 

However, you did witness a channel change? Are you fairly confident the channel change correlates with the sound drops?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Also, did you note what channel it moved from and to?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

That is very bad news. Sorry to hear that for sure. 

However, you did witness a channel change? Are you fairly confident the channel change correlates with the sound drops. 

channel was 5825 (i can’t be sure there wasn’t an issue at this point). after i noticed the issue I checked again and the channel was 5320. same for the Arc and all speakers in that system

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m going to go nuclear and completely disable 5ghz on my router and see if it has any affect

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have passed this onto Sonos Engineering as well and I hope you guys see it too. On the Sonos network review, I see a lot of dropped packages on br0 interface of each of my speakers including Arc, Sub and surrounds. This can be found in sbin/ifconfig section of each speaker. Restarting the device clears the counter and resets it to zero following which it starts building up and then eventually drops out. Can you guys also see a trend here? I have seen that when this count reaches several thousand dropped packets, the sun and surrounds drop out. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’m going to go nuclear and completely disable 5ghz on my router and see if it has any affect

I guess that would be a good test @peterbault 

The other thing I noted (that when both you and I had a rear/sub drop) was that the channel it moved us to was a DFS channel. That might be nothing, but DFS does mean that each unit needs to have Dynamic Frequency Selection enabled. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I have passed this onto Sonos Engineering as well and I hope you guys see it too. On the Sonos network review, I see a lot of dropped packages on br0 interface of each of my speakers including Arc, Sub and surrounds. This can be found in sbin/ifconfig section of each speaker. Restarting the device clears the counter and resets it to zero following which it starts building up and then eventually drops out. Can you guys also see a trend here? I have seen that when this count reaches several thousand dropped packets, the sun and surrounds drop out. 

same here 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

unchecking 5ghz in my orbi settings doesn’t seem to actually disable 5ghz. I’m tired

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

same here 

This is interesting. Does anyone know if higher bitrate audio streams would build up dropped packets a lot quicker? Stands to reason for me

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I'm following along with you guys.....I have no idea WTF you are talking about, but you have my full support! GO GENTLEMEN!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Achieved 40471 drops and system is constantly dropping, every 5 minutes or so. I suppose there is a threshold value capped to the number of errors an interface can handle following which it drops connections to not cause further damage to the equipment(theory). I suppose Sonos engineering needs to focus on why these packets are dropping across all affected customers. I can certainly tell that the counter resets to 0 following a reboot which explains why a reboot resolves the problem temporarily.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Brad Porter do you have any network switches in your network? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Quote from someone on Facebook with the issue;

“I’ve had this problem since the 14.6 update now iam on 14.8.1 and still the same . Apparently sonos said they can remotely downgrade the software they doing it for me going back to 14.4 or 14.5 to see if the problems go away I’ve been waiting 4 days though they don’t rush” … “they said you need a windows pc or laptop for them to remotely do it they told me this 4 days ago though and they’ve still not emailed me to sort it out yet but as soon as they do and it’s been downgraded I will definitely put a post on to let people know if it’s worked or not”

Controversial if correct! Maybe the agent got mixed up though and used the wrong terminology … as this seems totally against the grain of what’s been said here by other peoples Sonos support agents/engineers. Hopefully we will hear more …

@willhowe any updates from this person? Do you mind tagging along the link here?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Achieved 40471 drops and system is constantly dropping, every 5 minutes or so. I suppose there is a threshold value capped to the number of errors an interface can handle following which it drops connections to not cause further damage to the equipment(theory). I suppose Sonos engineering needs to focus on why these packets are dropping across all affected customers. I can certainly tell that the counter resets to 0 following a reboot which explains why a reboot resolves the problem temporarily.

I really like this idea and line of troubleshooting. I’ve started watching for dropped packets while I’m watching content or doing other things (switching inputs, connecting devices, etc.). I will certainly share if I see any patterns emerge.