Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths - sadly, the Netgear kit I have does not allow you to specifically set the band. You can disable co-existence support (to stop it moving between bands) but the advertised band is still 40Mhz for 2.4Ghz and 80Mhz for 5Ghz. Strangely, I have not had to worry about this up until April. 

It’s not what I would call a huge issue @Brad Porter, it can help reduce wireless interference if you have neighbouring networks and so that can often help with device dropouts, it’s also not quite so helpful if you don’t live in a built-up area, but not every router allows for the channel-width to be set, so I wouldn’t be too concerned by it. Most routers are set to 40Mhz (2.4Ghz) and 80MHz (5Ghz) band by default - the 5Ghz band is also not so far reaching/penetrating as the 2.4Ghz band. It’s that latter band that’s used between the Sonos Master HT player and it’s Surrounds/Sub. Note too that the more modern Sonos devices on S2 are able to now use either band (the 802.11ac WiFi standard).

A single 20MHz channel will be more stable in active regions with a lot of frequency noise and interference. A 40MHz channel-width provides for quicker transfer rates and higher speeds, but it does not work as well in congested locations (ie. neighbouring WiFi signals seen in your mobile network setup screen)… so when troubleshooting these type of speaker dropout issues, I would certainly aim for 20Mhz channel-width for your routers 2.4Ghz band and 40Mhz for the 5Ghz band.

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths - sadly, the Netgear kit I have does not allow you to specifically set the band. You can disable co-existence support (to stop it moving between bands) but the advertised band is still 40Mhz for 2.4Ghz and 80Mhz for 5Ghz. Strangely, I have not had to worry about this up until April. 

This is all unrelated to the issue in question, but on Netgears you usually configure the maximum speed using a drop-down menu. As well as constraining the protocols used, this also sets the channel width.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

This is all unrelated to the issue in question, but on Netgears you usually configure the maximum speed using a drop-down menu. As well as constraining the protocols used, this also sets the channel width.

I think I bought the low luxury version of Netgear mesh! RBR20. It sadly does not allow that specific of control!

I think I bought the low luxury version of Netgear mesh! RBR20. It sadly does not allow that specific of control!

If using Sonos on a mesh WiFi network, I would certainly take note of the things mentioned in this Staff initiated thread too…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

HTH

Ah okay. Such meshes often leave little for the user to tweak. It's surprising however that the 2.4GHz insists on using 40MHz width as it's notoriously antisocial. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’ve been trying out a few things and I think adding the Sonos voice command might be a fix? My setup is Arc/sub/play3s as surrounds. eArc to Sony AF8. Content played mainly ATV/internal apps/Xbox. Ethernet into Arc (but because of this problem I went out and bought a Boost - same problems remain)
Since installing/updating with the Sonos voice control it seems (for now at least) to be pretty stable. And for the record “Hey Sonos” is actually pretty good too imo. 
Can others confirm whether Sonos voice control is installed or not (either before Rebooting speakers amd/routers)? And has it made a difference? I’ve been switching between sound formats and input sources, turning tv on and off, streaming music through the app etc and it’s not failed. Yet. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve been trying out a few things and I think adding the Sonos voice command might be a fix? My setup is Arc/sub/play3s as surrounds. eArc to Sony AF8. Content played mainly ATV/internal apps/Xbox. Ethernet into Arc (but because of this problem I went out and bought a Boost - same problems remain)
Since installing/updating with the Sonos voice control it seems (for now at least) to be pretty stable. And for the record “Hey Sonos” is actually pretty good too imo. 
Can others confirm whether Sonos voice control is installed or not (either before Rebooting speakers amd/routers)? And has it made a difference? I’ve been switching between sound formats and input sources, turning tv on and off, streaming music through the app etc and it’s not failed. Yet. 

Somebody identified this about a week ago and everybody raced out and installed a voice assistant, myself included. It seems to have made a big improvement for some but I don’t think anyone is ready to say it’s a real fix. I didn’t power cycle everything right away and did have a dropout after but have now power cycled and disconnected/reconnected everything a couple days ago. I haven’t really pushed things with much input switching which is my main trigger yet but no dropouts for me since power cycling. 

I’m also enjoying “hey Sonos”. I switch night mode on and off frequently and it’s the quickest easiest way

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

To this day, I've never experienced the issue discussed in this thread. I wonder how many more like me since “trouble free” rarely makes it to a forum. Easy to identify with the frustrations and feel sorry for those experiencing random connectivity issues, but I wonder how many are having problems and if Sonos has officially recognized a wide spread connectivity issue? 

Recently I went through a lengthy and frankly enjoyable process to compare the Sonos 5.1.2 to the Sony HT-A9 4.1.4 in my own listening environment. Which included several shut downs and re-tunes( Trueplay) of my Sonos 5.1.2. During the compare project I spent a lot of time scrutizing both systems to a level of detail I would have never carried out otherwise.

I never identified one disconnect issue with my Sonos set with all the disconnect/reconnect/re-tune/ speaker placement changes etc. before, during or now after my project. 

FWIW, I added my setup details to the spreadsheet provided in this thread, but I also noticed not many reported problems at the time I edited that doc. But that could just be that many didn't want to contribute to the doc.

FWIW, I keep up with all the firmware updates, except the new voice command  since I own the Costco Sonos Arc model. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

FWIW for those considering the Sony HT-A9, I’ve read on avsforums and other places that it’s pretty notorious for drop outs so just keep that in mind 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Like @peterbault, I’ve also *fingers crossed* haven’t really had any issues since installing the Sonos Voice Control.  It’s been fairly stable since installing 14.8, to be honest.  I think I had maybe one or two dropouts after 14.8 (and a lot during 14.6), but it’s all been good since.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Part of the update process is the speakers rebooting, which causes them to ask for new IP addresses from your router. If the router is in a “bad state” and handing out duplicate IP addresses, then your speakers will be compromised due to that. That’s just one scenario. There’s also outside influences that affect wifi, as suggested in the wifi interference FAQ. 

There’s no “it’s just one thing” fix to some of these issues, from what I can tell. There’s a wide variety of reasons why a particular symptom may be displayed. Sure, it’s easy to blame a software release, but if Sonos has, as they have, that they’re unable to duplicate that issue, it’s up to us, as users to give them examples, by submitting diagnostics and telling them about them.

As some may not know, just submitting a diagnostic does no good, it’s explained in Diagnostics - How do they work? thread that you must tell Sonos the number of the diagnostic, and why you’ve submitted it, so they know both to look, and what to look for. Many people in this thread have done that already, I honestly don’t know if everyone has or not.

But if there’s a real issue here, I’d have thought that the Sonos team could have recreated it based on the information they’ve been handed. The fact that they haven’t is somewhat telling, although it’s certainly possible they just don’t have enough information yet. I don’t know, one way or another, but can certainly express that this issue has not appeared on either of my Arcs, both of which have Subs and Surround speakers set up. 

I would be curious to know what your equipment is in each Arc group and whether you have Voice Control enabled. Info from people NOT having this issue is as helpful as those who do. If you haven’t already, please consider filling out the spreadsheet with your system info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

With most of the normal Sonos issues calling in and going through their troubleshooting usually fixes it long term.  I don’t think that’s happening with this issue.  As far as I know even those who have made it to Level 3 Engineering are still stuck in the process waiting for a resolution.  I certainly don’t envy Sonos trying to troubleshoot a problem that they can’t reproduce.  Those are always the worst.

I finally got around to adding my 2 systems to the doc. thanks for setting this up. 

I still haven’t had any issues since setting up Sonos voice control on my living room system

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Like @peterbault, I’ve also *fingers crossed* haven’t really had any issues since installing the Sonos Voice Control.  It’s been fairly stable since installing 14.8, to be honest.  I think I had maybe one or two dropouts after 14.8 (and a lot during 14.6), but it’s all been good since.  

@JohnnyDo123 - did you install SVC on all your speakers?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault - you have two setups with different TVs, one that works and one that does not.

Out of interest, what version of HDMI do you have on each TV? Are the both HDMI2.1, or does one have HDMI2.0b or something?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

After installing the Sonos voice command I’ve been messing around all afternoon switching between source inputs (built in tv apps, Apple TV and Nintendo Switch) and various audio formats within each input. All seemed pretty steady. Happily switching back and forth.  Until just now. I went from internal tv app (all working fine) to ATV.  I switched between a 5.1 pcm multichannel source to Armos and it lost the surrounds. Gutted. Removed and setup the surrounds and alls working again

Back to the drawing board :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@peterbault - you have two setups with different TVs, one that works and one that does not.

Out of interest, what version of HDMI do you have on each TV? Are the both HDMI2.1, or does one have HDMI2.0b or something?

The LG CX system is HDMI 2.1. Never had the issue in this one

the Sony A9g is NOT HDMI 2.1  this is the one where I’ve had the issue 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

After installing the Sonos voice command I’ve been messing around all afternoon switching between source inputs (built in tv apps, Apple TV and Nintendo Switch) and various audio formats within each input. All seemed pretty steady. Happily switching back and forth.  Until just now. I went from internal tv app (all working fine) to ATV.  I switched between a 5.1 pcm multichannel source to Armos and it lost the surrounds. Gutted. Removed and setup the surrounds and alls working again

Back to the drawing board :(

@ryan_29 - is this your TV?

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/sony_a8_oled_2020.php

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yes, I just checked your specs online for a deeper view. Your affected TV uses HDMI2.0b.  Mine also uses HDMI2.0b. I also think Ryan is using HDMI2.0b. 

I wonder if there is something in all this HDMI spec stuff - I'll need to work through that spreadsheet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yes, I just checked your specs online for a deeper view. Your affected TV uses HDMI2.0b.  Mine also uses HDMI2.0b. I also think Ryan is using HDMI2.0b. 

I wonder if there is something in all this HDMI spec stuff - I'll need to work through that spreadsheet.

I definitely remember people here having the issue with HDMI 2.1 tvs though. (LG CX, C1, etc)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yes that’s the tv I’ve got. Sony A8/AH8

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I think you are right - just checked ban25 and this is the spec write-up. 

The Sony Bravia X900H series fits the bill, often emerging as one of the best TV for PS5 and Xbox Series X console gaming, if not the best. This TV has 120Hz refresh rate at 4K resolution on an LED panel, supports HDR/HDR10/HLG, and has 4x HDMI ports with port 3 and port 4 supporting HDMI 2.1.

Back to the drawing board we go…...

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It does seem like everyone(?) affected has a mesh wifi system. I think it’s a red herring though. My gut really tells me this isn’t a network issue 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

welp it was a fluke. Just experienced the issue even with Sonos voice control installed. Diagnostic: 1299567055

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

It does seem like everyone(?) affected has a mesh wifi system. I think it’s a red herring though. My gut really tells me this isn’t a network issue 

Ken has a mesh, and he is OK. 

There are some many parameters and variables its hard without knowing the exact changelog of what Sonos updates have introduced. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

welp it was a fluke. Just experienced the issue even with Sonos voice control installed. Diagnostic: 1299567055

Switching between channels?  Or whilst watching?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Switching between channels?  Or whilst watching?

Just turned on the tv to watch ms marvel and it had no sub or rears from the start